Section 4AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

Re: Section 4AA

Post by Sparlimb »

Well they wanted HM v WBL and now they got it. The public should be pleased.

I was really surprised Stillwater rolled over the way they did tonight. Didn't see a lot of fight. Always hard to get down early.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

There is an important update:

To avoid overloading the network server, tickets will go on sale at 1:00 Thursday FOR HILL FANS ONLY.

Tickets will go on sale on Friday at 1:00 FOR WHITE BEAR FANS.

I am calling on all Hill fans to honor this by not waiting until Friday to get their tickets!
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:30 am Well they wanted HM v WBL and now they got it. The public should be pleased.

I was really surprised Stillwater rolled over the way they did tonight. Didn't see a lot of fight. Always hard to get down early.
I didn’t see any rollover, Stillwater had plenty of quality shots, the Bears goalie played extremely well!!
The51

Post by The51 »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:56 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:45 pm Parking at Aldrich is way better than anywhere in the West Metro.
That part is true. I told a few people at the last game I attended, I'm happy to see consolation there this year. Plenty big and FREE parking. I would be in favor of skipping Mariucci in the future.
I completely missed this earlier.... what in the world. What was behind the decision to move the consolation to Aldrich? Just poor attendance at Mariucci?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

The51 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:33 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:45 pm Parking at Aldrich is way better than anywhere in the West Metro.
That part is true. I told a few people at the last game I attended, I'm happy to see consolation there this year. Plenty big and FREE parking. I would be in favor of skipping Mariucci in the future.
I completely missed this earlier.... what in the world. What was behind the decision to move the consolation to Aldrich? Just poor attendance at Mariucci?
Wanted to give WBL fans a shorter drive for their 2nd game. :D
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Doc Holliday wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:43 pm

Gophers will more than likely be hosting the first round of the BIG tournament that weekend
East Side Pioneer Guy

bardown27 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm

Gophers will more than likely be hosting the first round of the BIG tournament that weekend
So, they can't host consolation games on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 10 & noon? One OT and both teams get a trophy. I don't get it.

Bears fans walking all around Mariucci on Friday morning be like "All the doors are locked!"
Hockey Is For Everyone
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:58 pm

So, they can't host consolation games on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 10 & noon? One OT and both teams get a trophy. I don't get it.

Bears fans walking all around Mariucci on Friday morning be like "All the doors are locked!"
best of three series Fri, Sat, Sun, I'm sure teams have pre-game skates in the morning, so no they probably can't play two games Th, Fri, and Sat at 10 & 12
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Aldrich sold out in 20 minutes for the 4AA final.
East Side Pioneer Guy

bardown27 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:38 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:58 pm

best of three series Fri, Sat, Sun, I'm sure teams have pre-game skates in the morning, so no they probably can't play two games Th, Fri, and Sat at 10 & 12
That it's best of three is immaterial. In the past, the Golden Rats would play on Fri and Sat night. How is it different than a regular season series?
Hockey Is For Everyone
The51

Post by The51 »

That can’t be the reason. It has to be an attendance/cost reason
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

The51 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:59 pm That can’t be the reason. It has to be an attendance/cost reason
I think it was the reason, it was reported as a scheduling conflict.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Has to be late conflict.

Otherwise I'd imagine selling 8kish season tickets to a 3500 capacity arena would be kind of sketchy even if 8k attending is not a reality.
East Side Pioneer Guy

mnpuckster wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:03 pm Has to be late conflict.

Otherwise I'd imagine selling 8kish season tickets to a 3500 capacity arena would be kind of sketchy even if 8k attending is not a reality.

This is always why I thought they've kept it at Mariucci. It's not too hard for someone to contact the attorney general and call bee ess on it. I've said for years Aldrich would be great for consolation, and now that's true of Tria too. I think I started to think this in '08 when I was working within sight of Aldrich during the tournament.

I just don't see how it's any different than a scheduled home series at Mariucci for the Gophs.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

tweeted this tonight...

Lake Conference 1-4 in Section Finals this year (with the one win against another Lake team). The Tradition Rich Metro East 1-0 so far with another chance tomorrow.

My bad, 1-3.
The51

Post by The51 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:08 pm
mnpuckster wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:03 pm Has to be late conflict.

This is always why I thought they've kept it at Mariucci. It's not too hard for someone to contact the attorney general and call bee ess on it. I've said for years Aldrich would be great for consolation, and now that's true of Tria too. I think I started to think this in '08 when I was working within sight of Aldrich during the tournament.

I just don't see how it's any different than a scheduled home series at Mariucci for the Gophs.

Not sure if I’m just exhausted from an early morning but I have no clue what either of these mean but I’m very interested in knowing
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

The venue for the Big 10 tourney is not set in stone till the reg season is over, but it appears the hopes will have home ice creating the conflict
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

inthetwine wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:34 am The venue for the Big 10 tourney is not set in stone till the reg season is over, but it appears the hopes will have home ice creating the conflict
The Gophers can't finish any lower than 4, so they will either be the 3 hosting the 6, or the 4 hosting the 5.
CrimsonCakeEater

Post by CrimsonCakeEater »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:27 pm tweeted this tonight...

Lake Conference 1-4 in Section Finals this year (with the one win against another Lake team). The Tradition Rich Metro East 1-0 so far with another chance tomorrow.

My bad, 1-3.
Calling Buffalo a Lake Conference school—while technically true—is like calling USC a Big Ten school.
Small town on the west side with a dream
East Side Pioneer Guy

bardown27 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:00 am
inthetwine wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:34 am The venue for the Big 10 tourney is not set in stone till the reg season is over, but it appears the hopes will have home ice creating the conflict
The Gophers can't finish any lower than 4, so they will either be the 3 hosting the 6, or the 4 hosting the 5.
Again, this is all immaterial. How is the situation different than if the Gophs were scheduled to play Mich State at home on Friday and Sat Evening? How is this different than the last 20 years?
Hockey Is For Everyone
The51

Post by The51 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:43 am
Again, this is all immaterial. How is the situation different than if the Gophs were scheduled to play Mich State at home on Friday and Sat Evening? How is this different than the last 20 years?
Exactly.. this is where I'm getting lost. Also when was it announced that it was going to Aldrich? Was that recent? I saw someone reference an announcement a few posts ago
East Side Pioneer Guy

The51 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:54 am

Exactly.. this is where I'm getting lost. Also when was it announced that it was going to Aldrich? Was that recent? I saw someone reference an announcement a few posts ago
I got wind of it a couple months back I think.
Hockey Is For Everyone
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:10 pm

Here’s my question. Why do you care so much that’s it’s moving to Aldrich vs being at Mariucci? There must be some sort of reason (tournament protocol, different timelines for a tournament vs a regular season series, morning skates, etc)
East Side Pioneer Guy

bardown27 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm

Here’s my question. Why do you care so much that’s it’s moving to Aldrich vs being at Mariucci? There must be some sort of reason (tournament protocol, different timelines for a tournament vs a regular season series, morning skates, etc)
That's a great question.

Having followed the tournament since 1975, I've always been interested in it. And given this involves the MSHSL, there may or may not be a good reason for it. As far as possible Golden Rats playoff series, that just makes no sense. So just what is the reason? And is it just this year, or will it be permanent? The MSHSL is often way too opaque. But then they're not really accountable to anyone.
Hockey Is For Everyone
The51

Post by The51 »

bardown27 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm

The biggest reason for me is these kids earned a trip to the STATE TOURNAMENT. Just because they lose their first game there doesn't mean they shouldn't get to have a great experience. For these 15,16,17 year olds playing where the Gophers play (regardless of how you feel about them) would be a great experience and a highlight of their hockey careers for the 90+% that won't ever play past high school. Playing it at Aldrich makes it feel no difference than an opening weekend thanksgiving tournament. Completely doing a disservice to those kids