AA Rankings for 12/24/23

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

AA Rankings for 12/24/23

Post by karl(east) »

The week before holidays tournaments is always one of the hardest for rankings, with the last vestiges of preseason opinion hanging on before there’s finally enough data to do the analysis at the level I like. Teams therefore tend to carry on as they were unless surprising things happen, though there was a bit of that this past week. Your rankings:

1. Minnetonka (8-0)
-As the season progresses, things tend to tighten, and that was true for the Skippers this past week: though they utterly controlled games against Grand Rapids and Shakopee, they still only won their games by two goals and then one goal, respectively. Does it mean anything? For now, no, but we’ll see what Rogers and Wayzata have to say about all of this when they visit Plymouth this week.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic at the PIC—Wed vs. #7 Rogers, Thurs vs. Lakeville South, Sat vs. #2 Wayzata

2. Wayzata (8-0-1)
-Like Minnetonka, the Trojans had their most eventful week this past week. First, they got pushed to the limit by a good but 3-5 Stillwater team, and after that they couldn’t put away Eden Prairie and had to settle for a tie. They remain undefeated and have built enough capital and stay in the 2-spot, but suddenly there are reasons to watch more closely, and they come at a time when they have two huge games, including a potent Rogers team looking to prove something after a rough outing in its last big game before the first of the 1-vs.-2 heavyweight bouts.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic at the PIC—Wed vs. Lakeville South, Thurs vs. #7 Rogers, Fri vs. #1 Minnetonka

3. Edina (7-1)
-Dispatched of Chaska in their only contest this past week. Their visit to Prior Lake this week features three teams that are in the 10-20 tier, and a slip-up could let one of the teams nipping at their heels here to climb a bit.
This week: The Tradition (Prior Lake)—Wed vs. Moorhead, Thurs vs. #12 St. Thomas Academy, Fri vs. #15 Cretin-Derham Hall

4. Chanhassen (7-3)
-The Storm shut out Eastview and St. Louis Park and have allowed just two goals in five games since the Minnetonka loss, once again pushing aside some of those early worries. A couple of teams in the bottom half of the top ten will liven up their week.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic—Wed vs. #8 Maple Grove, Thurs vs. Holy Angels, Fri vs. #10 Hill-Murray

5. Benilde-St. Margaret’s (6-1)
-The Red Knights marched past Blake, joining the club of teams just behind the top two who didn’t break much of a sweat this past week. Their annual tourney this week features flashy but untested Holy Family and then a couple of teams on the fringes of these rankings that are looking to make a move.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic—Wed vs. #11 Holy Family, Thurs vs. Champlin Park, Fri vs. Holy Angels

6. Rosemount (9-1)
-I don’t know if it will last, but I felt compelled to shuffle this team up a spot even though Rogers didn’t lose: the Irish, fresh off a road win over Hermantown, are rolling and suggesting that early win over Chanhassen was no fluke. With another good week this week, I’ll throw out any preconception and lock them in as a serious statewide contender.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic at the Grove—Wed vs. #13 Andover, Thurs vs. #8 Maple Grove, Fri vs. Champlin Park

7. Rogers (7-1-1)
-No trouble with Buffalo for the Royals this past week. We’ll learn what they’re made of in Plymouth now, with games against the top two to start of their tournament. Are they closer to the top teams than the Chanhassen debacle suggests?
This week: Premier Holiday Classic at the PIC—Wed vs. #1 Minnetonka, Thurs vs. #2 Wayzata, Fri vs. Lakeville South

8. Maple Grove (5-2)
-Nothing to report here after an off week. That will not be the case next week, as their slate in their annual holiday tourney is a loaded one featuring three looming teams, all of which have something to prove against the rest of the state. This run of games should say a lot about this group, which has been floating here ever since those two season-opening losses to Edina and Wayzata.
This Week: Premier Holiday Classic—Wed vs. vs. #X Chanhassen, Thurs vs. #6 Rosemount, Fri vs. #11 Holy Family

9. Shakopee (8-2-1)
-The Sabers grabbed a quality win over Lakeville South and hung in there as well as anyone has against Minnetonka, which only serves to solidify their top ten standing. They host a Class A contender this week
This week: Fri vs. Hermantown

10. Hill-Murray (4-1-2)
-The Pioneers settled for a tie with White Bear, which sets them back a bit amid a tight 6-10 group in the rankings, but their overall body of work is good enough to hang on to a top ten spot for now. Their three-game slate this week gets progressively tougher, with the Chanhassen game being the real opportunity to show they’re a high-caliber contender.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic—Wed vs. Champlin Park, Thurs vs. #13 Andover, Fri vs. #4 Chanhassen

11. Holy Family (5-0-1)
-Handled Eastview and remain a team of relative mystery, with the St. Thomas tie being their only game with ranked competition. Benilde and Maple Grove will tell us a lot more shortly; a good week gets them into the top ten.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic—Wed vs. #5 Benilde-St. Margaret’s, Thurs vs. Blake, Fri vs. #8 Maple Grove

12. St. Thomas Academy (5-3-1)
-The Cadets had a strong week as they took care a capable Centennial team and then slipped past Cretin to rebuild their standing in 3AA after the earlier Eastview loss. Their draw in Prior Lake has a little of everything, with the middle game against Edina being the headliner.
This week: The Tradition (Prior Lake)—Wed vs. Prior Lake, Thurs vs. #3 Edina, Fri vs. Moorhead

13. Andover (5-4)
-Took care of Duluth East in a section game this past week, and while they aren’t as flashy as in recent years, they have the depth to bury opponents in a thin section and have no glaring weaknesses. Will they putter along as a mild favorite in a fortunate section, or can they make a claim to contention for more? Rosemount and Hill this week will tell us something about that.
This week: Premier Holiday Classic—Wed vs. #6 Rosemount, Thurs vs. #10 Hill-Murray, Fri vs. Blake

14. White Bear Lake (6-2-1)
-The Bears’ loss to Champlin Park was their first serious bump of the season, but as usual, the contest with Hill was one where the rankings could go out the window, and the tie shows they’re right there in 4AA. They avoid the chaos of this coming week, with a single game against middling Mounds View.
This week: Sat at Mounds View

15. Cretin-Derham Hall (3-3)
-The Raiders eased past Mounds View but fell to St. Thomas, which continues a somewhat unremarkable start here. They have a forgiving draw in Prior Lake this week, with Chaska and Prior Lake up before they get to a showdown with Edina.
This week: The Tradition (Prior Lake)—Wed vs. Chaska, Thurs vs. Prior Lake, Fri vs. #3 Edina

The Next Ten

Eastview (6-5)
-The Lightning mustered a split with Lakeville South, and have a win over St. Thomas to their name; their only loss that isn’t to a top 15 team is to Centennial, so they’re in alright shape here. They don’t play again until 2024, so they can just sit back and watch the world burn this week.

Lakeville South (5-2)
-The Cougars had a reality check week, falling to Shakopee before losing to an Eastview team they’d beaten the week before. I don’t think any of it’s a serious condemnation, and no one right behind them here is making a compelling case to jump above them yet, so they pay little price for those losses. It’s hard to imagine a more brutal upcoming slate, however, with Wayzata, Minnetonka, and Rogers on tap for them in Plymouth. Expect some movement here.

Holy Angels (7-1)
-The Stars took another step toward the 4-seed in 6AA with a win over Armstrong/Cooper. Chanhassen and Benilde this week give them two top ten opponents and a genuine test against high-end AA opponents for the first time since their Opener appearance against Shakopee.

Moorhead (4-5-1)
-Took a first step back on to the right track by beating Elk River this past week, and with Sartell and Roseau both stumbling against section opponents, they’re back in a more comfortable position in the 8AA seeding race. They have one of the tougher draws in Prior Lake this week, with Edina, Eden Prairie, and St. Thomas Academy all coming at them.

Grand Rapids (6-5)
-The Thunderhawks stuck around with Minnetonka, showing that their back end really can carry them some distance. They get to enjoy a week off while holiday tourney carnage ensues.

Eden Prairie (4-3-1)
-Who are the real Eagles, the team that loses to Grand Rapids or the one that ties mighty Wayzata? Moorhead is their most interesting game in Prior Lake this week, which gives them a chance to gain some ground.

Gentry Academy (8-3)
-The Stars have rattled off five wins in a row, and the 7-2 win over Champlin that kicked off this run is looking better in retrospect. That remains their one quality win against Minnesota competition, though, and that won’t change this week given the field in the Herb Brooks Holiday Classic, where they open against Pine City; Hibbing and Duluth Marshall are the two somewhat interesting teams in the field from a rankings perspective.

Champlin Park (5-3-1)
-It’s been an up and down ride for the Rebels so far, but there has been more up than down lately, with wins over section rival Centennial and top-15 White Bear Lake to their name. If they can do anything during a brutal run through Hill, Benilde, and Rosemount this week, they’ll earn their keep in the top 25.

Rock Ridge (8-1)
-The Wolverines continue to power through this Class A-heavy schedule of theirs. Delano this week at least gives them a pretty good team in that category.

Centennial (4-4-1)
-The Cougars have dropped three in a row, including an important section game with Champlin this past week; that recent performance has them on thin ice. They are idle this coming week.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Re: AA Rankings for 12/24/23

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

What's up with these holiday tournaments? Specifically I'm talking about the various iterations of the Premier Holiday Classic*? Three venues, two or three games per day per venue, some in the afternoon, some afternoon and evening, some teams playing at more than one arena, what a mish-mash. And despite some enticing match-ups, I can't see two games I want to see back-to-back at the same arena. It looks like on Thursday and/or Friday I'll have to stop at Park Tavern or Bunnies between PIC and SLP Rec.

*And why is nearly every tournament a Classic? If the bar were any lower, we'd have to dig a trench for it. But then we live in the era of Everybody Gets a Trophy.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Also, what’s up with the schedule page on the hub and legacy lately?? It’s… nearly impossible to follow?
Brodziak Fan Club

Also, Karl… what’s up with Duluth East??
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:40 pm Also, what’s up with the schedule page on the hub and legacy lately?? It’s… nearly impossible to follow?
It sucks
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:40 pm Also, Karl… what’s up with Duluth East??
See above
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

elliott70 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:51 pm
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:40 pm Also, what’s up with the schedule page on the hub and legacy lately?? It’s… nearly impossible to follow?
It sucks
I saw on the girls side, the hub made a entire day disappear from the schedule. If you looked at a team that played that day, it shows, but you can't choose the whole day. Whomever made the change to add a submit a score option screwed it up royal.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:42 pm
elliott70 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:51 pm
It sucks
I saw on the girls side, the hub made a entire day disappear from the schedule. If you looked at a team that played that day, it shows, but you can't choose the whole day. Whomever made the change to add a submit a score option screwed it up royal.
Aw jeez they got it all bolixed up. The days aren't in chronological order, but it seems like most or all of the days are there.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BP

Post by BP »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:05 am What's up with these holiday tournaments? Specifically I'm talking about the various iterations of the Premier Holiday Classic*? Three venues, two or three games per day per venue, some in the afternoon, some afternoon and evening, some teams playing at more than one arena, what a mish-mash. And despite some enticing match-ups, I can't see two games I want to see back-to-back at the same arena. It looks like on Thursday and/or Friday I'll have to stop at Park Tavern or Bunnies between PIC and SLP Rec.

*And why is nearly every tournament a Classic? If the bar were any lower, we'd have to dig a trench for it. But then we live in the era of Everybody Gets a Trophy.
Lots of intriguing match ups if you follow it close. Can't have Hill and WBL every game.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

BP wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:15 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:05 am What's up with these holiday tournaments? Specifically I'm talking about the various iterations of the Premier Holiday Classic*? Three venues, two or three games per day per venue, some in the afternoon, some afternoon and evening, some teams playing at more than one arena, what a mish-mash. And despite some enticing match-ups, I can't see two games I want to see back-to-back at the same arena. It looks like on Thursday and/or Friday I'll have to stop at Park Tavern or Bunnies between PIC and SLP Rec.

Lots of intriguing match ups if you follow it close. Can't have Hill and WBL every game.
To be fair, Hill and WBL would be dull this year. I'm interested to see whether Champlin can beat HM a second year in a row. And let's see how good Chanhassen is. I'd really like to watcha the Tonka v Wayzata game. Should be a barn burner.
East Side Pioneer Guy

For the talent I expect to see, this week I want to see Tonka, Wayzata, and Chanhassan, followed by Rogers, and my Pioneers. Those are the teams that intrigue me, not Benilde v. Holy Angles or Maple Grove v. Elk River. I'm not driving across the Metro to see #13 take on # 18.
Hockey Is For Everyone
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Maple Grove doesn’t play Elk River this week. MG played Chanhassen (who you said you want to see) Wednesday and beat them 2-0. Your Pioneers, meanwhile, had their hands full with Champlin.
East Side Pioneer Guy

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:02 am Maple Grove doesn’t play Elk River this week. MG played Chanhassen (who you said you want to see) Wednesday and beat them 2-0. Your Pioneers, meanwhile, had their hands full with Champlin.
Whoa whoa whoa. You expect me to consult the screwed up Hockeyhub schedule when I go on a rant? Jeez, what good is this keyboard if I need to stop and check facts? Pro tip: Keep the bar low for ESPG. As Bob Yates used to advise, just accept the premise and you'll enjoy the bit.

I did attend the Tonka beat down of Rogers, but an income earning opportunity prevented me from seeing another Hill OT game. It's been some time since I've been to a regular season full house game, which was fun to be a part of, despite the lop sided score. Wayzata Lake South? Is not for me. But that Tonka/Buffalo co-op, wowsers.

I was hoping for a solid 2 or 3 goal win for the Green, but it seems we have some room for improvement. We'll need to step it up over the next 8 days here. We need to play well, and win 2 out of the next 3, but be competitive in all 3 games.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Brodziak Fan Club

Two east side private schools - Hill and St. Thomas - playing pedestrian defensive-minded hockey with unspectacular results. Their coaches have them right where they want them. Look out in two months.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:35 am Two east side private schools - Hill and St. Thomas - playing pedestrian defensive-minded hockey with unspectacular results. Their coaches have them right where they want them. Look out in two months.
Keep it close for two 34 minutes, pop one in in the 3rd, hang on for dear life. It almost worked against Tonka.
Hockey Is For Everyone
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:35 am Two east side private schools - Hill and St. Thomas - playing pedestrian defensive-minded hockey with unspectacular results. Their coaches have them right where they want them. Look out in two months.
I agree with you Brodz. I've said this on this forum before; never count a HM team as long as Lechner is coaching them.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I've been far too absent lately. Cleaning up on a few stray topics:

The Hub: come on, get it together, sorting through to find the surprise location of dates on the schedule is not my idea of a fun time.

Holiday "Tournaments": I have such mixed feelings about this week. One the one hand, there is a lot of very competitive hockey, and it's after this week that I always start to feel like I have a good handle on where teams are. On the other, the crowds are bad and the pre-scheduled formats take away whatever luster these so-called tournaments once had. I get it, teams want predictability and something other than a 13th Edina-Wayzata game, but I miss the old days when the Schwan Cup effectively served as a midseason championship. Of course, we have that with Minnetonka vs. Wayzata tomorrow. I do appreciate that the good teams have become somewhat spread out, though the 2-rink Premier thing this winter is weird.

Duluth East: Oof, where do I start? I chalk it up to a total rebuild on defense that has been a struggle, a need for some new leaders to step up, the occasional reappearance of the lack of discipline that plagued them two years ago, and a brutal schedule that is both road-heavy and very busy, making it very easy for things to snowball. They have more talent than their record, though they will need to show me more to make me think their ceiling is as high as I thought it was at the start of the season. The rematch with Rapids next week will be telling.
BP

Post by BP »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:40 am For the talent I expect to see, this week I want to see Tonka, Wayzata, and Chanhassan, followed by Rogers, and my Pioneers. Those are the teams that intrigue me, not Benilde v. Holy Angles or Maple Grove v. Elk River. I'm not driving across the Metro to see #13 take on # 18.

Stay home then. Your Pioneers aren't in the class of Tonka, Wayzata, Rogers, Chan, MG, Rosemount, BSM, etc - (right now). And Maple Grove beat Chan. Took OT to beat Champlin. Lost to Andover who is 5-5.
East Side Pioneer Guy

BP wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:24 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:40 am For the talent I expect to see, this week I want to see Tonka, Wayzata, and Chanhassan, followed by Rogers, and my Pioneers. Those are the teams that intrigue me, not Benilde v. Holy Angles or Maple Grove v. Elk River. I'm not driving across the Metro to see #13 take on # 18.

Stay home then. Your Pioneers aren't in the class of Tonka, Wayzata, Rogers, Chan, MG, Rosemount, BSM, etc - (right now). And Maple Grove beat Chan. Took OT to beat Champlin. Lost to Andover who is 5-5.
My aren't we touchy! Waza matter? Santa let you down?

Parse my words carefully. Show me just where I said Hill is in the class of Wayzata and Tonka/Buffalo. Dude, is it really hard to figure out that we follow our own teams for closely than other teams, even when they are having a down year? We are not obligated to be interested in lower-tier matchups. There's a reason 1 vs. 2 draws fewer eyeballs than 10 vs.14.

Now you have a safe NYE, and a prosperous New Year.
Hockey Is For Everyone
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:13 am

Parse my words carefully. Show me just where I said Hill is in the class of Wayzata and Tonka/Buffalo. Dude, is it really hard to figure out that we follow our own teams for closely than other teams, even when they are having a down year? We are not obligated to be interested in lower-tier matchups. There's a reason 1 vs. 2 draws fewer eyeballs than 10 vs.14.

The days of old.
:D
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:50 am

The days of old.
:D
Looks like that posterior arthritis has cropped up again! :lol:
BP

Post by BP »

All good buddy! Don't take it personal. Both PIC and SLP crowds were electric tonight. SLP was full capacity for both games.
East Side Pioneer Guy

BP wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:02 am

All good buddy! Don't take it personal. Both PIC and SLP crowds were electric tonight. SLP was full capacity for both games.
The Rogers-Tonka game on Wed was full but not a sellout, and it had been a long time since I've been to a regular season game that was full. I should qualify that by saying Hill's home ice is Aldrich, the largest venue there is, about twice the size of PIC or SLP Rec, and throw Braemar in there too. So an OK crowd at Aldrich would be tight at most other HS rinks.

And then I was nearly shut out at PIC yesterday. I got there a little late due to waiting for a kid to get home from work, and told that I couldn't get a ticket, it was a sold out show. I heard the roar of the crowd, I could picture the scene, put my head to the wall... I felt like I was living in a Foreigner tune. I can't reveal my secrets, but we managed to finagle our way in.

The Edina Classic started at the old Met, moved to the old Civic Center, then the X, then Ridder, but it never drew very well. I don't think the games this week drew any better, but the venues were more appropriately sized. I will say that the crowd for Tonka/Wayz was a little disappointing. You've got a mid-season 1 vs. 2, people standing 2 deep all over, a tight game with no scoring until fairly late, and typically the emotions would rise and fall every time the puck crosses the blue line. But that wasn't evident. Weird. I kind of like the way it ended though, it builds anticipation for the the next game at Pagel, and the 3rd place game at the X. It'll make a nice undercard to the final with Hill and STA.
Hockey Is For Everyone