D1 Commits from recent year CCHA alums

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

D1 Commits from recent year CCHA alums

Post by WestMetro »

Appreciate if others can double check this and provide comments . Pretty incredible numbers. Have OMG or Edina bantams topped this in recent years ?

CCHA alums with HS eligibility in 2022-23 that have D1 commitments:

Buesgens
Bruender
Kleber
Lunski
Moore
Rinzel
Scheetz
Schultz
Snugs (accelerated )
Spehar
Uhlenkamp
Wishart
Ziemer

WHL: G.Sawchyn

Pretty likely D1 in future :

Christ
Heil
Lee
L Sawchyn

Possibles D1s in future , another half dozen ?
rangerforme

Re: D1 Commits from recent year CCHA alums

Post by rangerforme »

Breakaway Academy alums tou mean.
outdoorsuperstar

Post by outdoorsuperstar »

I don't believe Spehar played in CCHA. Was Tonka and Edina before playing for Wisconsin team
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Recruiting at its finest 😏
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

outdoorsuperstar wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:08 am I don't believe Spehar played in CCHA. Was Tonka and Edina before playing for Wisconsin team
Good catch superstar !
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

Smooth wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:51 pm Recruiting at its finest 😏
14 of the 18 names on that list lived in CCHA area since they were kindergarten. Only 4 moved in
Bruender- 2nd yr peewee from Oregon
Schultz- 1st yr peewee Waconia
G. Sawchyn- 2nd yr peewee from Canada
L. Sawchyn- 1st yr bantam after Playing Made 2 yrs.

All 4 of them moved in ccha boundaries and did BA.

The other 14 were home grown talent in ccha boundaries…pretty remarkable group.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Here’s Osseo Maple Grove alum I can think of off top of my head who have recently played, are playing now or have committed to play for D1 programs. Might be missing someone and there will be more soon.

Faber
Thomas
T. Janicke
J. Janicke
H. Nelson
D. Nelson
Jacobs
Elias
Gunderson
Brink
Steenerson
Haider
Zellers
Olson
Kelley
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

By the way, all of these guys played for Osseo Maple Grove from mites through bantams, with exception of Zellers, who only played OMG through squirts then jumped around with various Tier 1 teams.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:38 pm Here’s Osseo Maple Grove alum I can think of off top of my head who have recently played, are playing now or have committed to play for D1 programs. Might be missing someone and there will be more soon.

Faber
Thomas
T. Janicke
J. Janicke
H. Nelson
D. Nelson
Jacobs
Elias
Gunderson
Brink
Steenerson
Haider
Zellers
Olson
Kelley
Forgot Kukkonen. Big miss on my part. Had a great freshman season last year with Michigan Tech.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good research SpreadOut

Question : Would they all have similarly been within any recent four year high school eligibility period ?

(Obviously if I'd gone back further there would have been some more big CCHA names. Incl Koster , Warnert, Burkholder , LaVelle , and Brink thru peewees )

Anyone out there want to take a crack at Edina ?
Last edited by WestMetro on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:38 pm Here’s Osseo Maple Grove alum I can think of off top of my head who have recently played, are playing now or have committed to play for D1 programs. Might be missing someone and there will be more soon.

Faber
Thomas
T. Janicke
J. Janicke
H. Nelson
D. Nelson
Jacobs
Elias
Gunderson
Brink
Steenerson
Haider
Zellers
Olson
Kelley
They were loaded as well. Crazy good talent in that stretch. Good Stuff
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:41 pm Good research SpreadOut

Question : Would they all have similarly been within any recent four year high school eligibility period ?

(Obviously if I'd gone back further there would have been some more big CCHA names. Incl Koster , Warnert, Burkholder , LaVelle , and Brink thru peewees )

The oldest on list—T. Janicke—would have graduated in 2019 had he kept playing high school hockey (he played just his freshman year for MG). The youngest on the list—Zellers—would be a senior this year at MG had he played high school hockey, meaning he’d graduate in 2024 (that’s a five year difference with T. Janicke). The others all overlap within four years. One thing to keep in mind is that both Faber and J. Janicke could have been on that ‘21 MG team that lost to EP in OT in state tourney semifinals (Faber accelerated his studies and graduated early and was already freshman playing with Gophers that season after playing two year with NTDP). When all those MG guys played together as Bantam AAs as freshman (J. Janicke was 8th grader) they were ridiculous, arguably the best bantam team in Minnesota history. They smoked EP that year in the Bantam AA state championship game 7-2 and went 52-3-2 on the season. They also won Peewee AA state championship as 7th graders and went undefeated as Squirt As as 5th graders. Faber played on line with Kukkonen and J. Janicke until switching to defense as bantam. I guess that switch kind of worked out for him :)
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:30 pm

The oldest on list—T. Janicke—would have graduated in 2019 had he kept playing high school hockey (he played just his freshman year for MG). The youngest on the list—Zellers—would be a senior this year at MG had he played high school hockey, meaning he’d graduate in 2024 (that’s a five year difference with T. Janicke). The others all overlap within four years. One thing to keep in mind is that both Faber and J. Janicke could have been on that ‘21 MG team that lost to EP in OT in state tourney semifinals (Faber accelerated his studies and graduated early and was already freshman playing with Gophers that season after playing two year with NTDP). When all those MG guys played together as Bantam AAs as freshman (J. Janicke was 8th grader) they were ridiculous, arguably the best bantam team in Minnesota history. They smoked EP that year in the Bantam AA state championship game 7-2 and went 52-3-2 on the season. They also won Peewee AA state championship as 7th graders and went undefeated as Squirt As as 5th graders. Faber played on line with Kukkonen and J. Janicke until switching to defense as bantam. I guess that switch kind of worked out for him :)
So, if you knock T. Janicke and Zellers off my original list of 15, but add Kukkonen, who I forgot to include on original list, you have 14. There are also a number of guys within that 4-year window from MG playing in NAHL who could end up D1 still. Josh Giuliani, ‘22 MG grad who had hell of a state tournament that year and had strong year last season with Austin Bruins, for example.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 pm
SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:30 pm

So, if you knock T. Janicke and Zellers off my original list of 15, but add Kukkonen, who I forgot to include on original list, you have 14. There are also a number of guys within that 4-year window from MG playing in NAHL who could end up D1 still. Josh Giuliani, ‘22 MG grad who had hell of a state tournament that year and had strong year last season with Austin Bruins, for example.
Sorry, D. Nelson would also be senior this year at MG had he stayed (left for NTDP after playing one season for MG as sophomore). So that brings list down to 13 within 4-year window (‘20-‘23 grads) who have played (Faber) D1, are playing D1 or have commuted to D1 college.
green4

Post by green4 »

For Edina if we are going for a 4 year stretch then maybe 2013-2016

2013:
Reno-RPI
Nelson-Princeton
Anderson-Princeton
Brauer-Notre Dame
L Nanne-RPI

2014:
Hurley-Norte Dame
Fidler-Ohio State
Munson-Minnesota
T Nanne-Ohio State/Minnesota

2015:
Malmquist-Notre Dame
Meyer-Colgate
Foley-Harvard
Bowlby-Harvard
L Perunovich-Providence/St. Thomas
Walker- Victoria (WHL)

2016:
Bellows: Boston University
Dornbach: Harvard/Denver
Wait-Minnesota/UMass
Zuhlsdorf-Minnesota

I got 19 there, but Hurley is a high school move in for sure. I think Munson moved from apple valley for pee wees and Nelson moved from New York maybe for pee wee.

But if you are looking for youth programs then you would add

2013:
Labosky (BSM)- Wisconsin/CC
Moore (BSM)- Holy Cross

2014:
J Austin (BSM/Blake) - UConn

2015:
Newhouse (BSM) - Union/Northern Michigan

2016:
N Austin (BSM) - Colgate/UMass Lowell

I don’t think there was any at St. Thomas or another private school but I’m not 100% on that.

But I think this is the best 4 years I can recall for Edina college wise. Depending how you look at it, it’s at about 20 kids
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Spreadout- yup I was at that MG-EP BAA final at Parade that year with Faber , so much talent on the ice!

Green , good research . Incredible run for Edina during that period within the last decade . Guessing they also hold the all time D1 count record for a 4 year stretch , probably in the early 80s

Looks like OMG and CCHA battling pretty close for the lead in D1 talent from youth associations recently, overtaking Edina . And also in recent top NHL draft picks . Who knows if that trend will continue , or who else will emerge ?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Caleb Heil commits to NoDak
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Someone pointed out I missed Jacob Margarit who was in CCHA before Holy Angels , still had HS eligibility this year in juniors , and is committed to Army
outdoorsuperstar

Post by outdoorsuperstar »

probably his dad
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

[-o< Mic drop
Play Like a Champion Today
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »