Summer HS varsity festival schedules

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Summer HS varsity festival schedules

Post by WestMetro »

Here is a link for the summer BIG festival July 28-30

https://twitter.com/fabfivehockeyf1/sta ... vqsuVEoBFA

Karl will post the Duluth festival same weekend when available

Other summer festival schedules ?
ClassAGuy

Re: Summer HS varsity festival schedules

Post by ClassAGuy »

Proctor Rails Summer Fest Schedule (Varsity) July 27-30th

Thursday July 27th
@ St Luke's Sports and Event Center

10:00 AM Cloquet vs Duluth East
1:45 PM Duluth Marshall vs Rock Ridge
3:45 PM Monticello vs St Cloud Crush
5:45 PM Mahtomedi vs Duluth East
8:00 PM Proctor vs St Cloud Cathedral

@ Hermantown Arena
4:30 PM St Thomas Academy vs Hermantown

Friday July 28th

9:45 AM St Thomas Academy vs Cloquet
1:30 PM Duluth East vs St Cloud Cathedral
3:30 PM Duluth Marshall vs St Cloud Crush
5:30 PM St Thomas Academy vs Monticello
7:30 PM Proctor vs Totino Grace

@ Hermantown Arena
1:30 PM Mahtomedi vs Rock Ridge
5:30 PM Hermantown vs Benilde

Saturday July 30th

10:00 AM Duluth East vs Benilde
Noon Duluth Marshall vs St Cloud Cathedral
2:00 PM Rock Ridge vs Benilde
4:00 PM Cloquet vs Totino Grace
6:00 PM Proctor vs Monticello

@ Hermantown Arena
10:30 AM Totino Grace vs St Cloud Crush
2:30 PM Hermantown vs Mahtomedi
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

Correction on the name above. It is the Proctor Rails Summer Fest. Most games in Proctor and we are thankful to Hermantown for hosting the overflow. The organizers have done a great job building this over the last few years. Impressive group of teams all in one place in July. If it keeps getting bigger we might have to suck it up and build another sheet.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Rails Hockey wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:21 pm Correction on the name above. It is the Proctor Rails Summer Fest. Most games in Proctor and we are thankful to Hermantown for hosting the overflow. The organizers have done a great job building this over the last few years. Impressive group of teams all in one place in July. If it keeps getting bigger we might have to suck it up and build another sheet.
Thanks Rails!

Getting Duluth East, STA (Randolph factor), Cloquet & Benilde to all leave the BIG Metro HS Tournament is some huge gets and very nice work good to see some variety on the last weekend of STP.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:36 pm
Rails Hockey wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:21 pm Correction on the name above. It is the Proctor Rails Summer Fest. Most games in Proctor and we are thankful to Hermantown for hosting the overflow. The organizers have done a great job building this over the last few years. Impressive group of teams all in one place in July. If it keeps getting bigger we might have to suck it up and build another sheet.
Thanks Rails!

Getting Duluth East, STA (Randolph factor), Cloquet & Benilde to all leave the BIG Metro HS Tournament is some huge gets and very nice work good to see some variety on the last weekend of STP.
Benilde has been going up to Duluth for a few years now.

I see in addition to losing Stewart and Risteau early, Andersen to LI Gulls and Bumgarner to Rogers....Kirschner is rumored to be heading back to Wayzata (or elsewhere).
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

westsidescout wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:23 pm
Thanks Rails!

I see in addition to losing Stewart and Risteau early, Andersen to LI Gulls and Bumgarner to Rogers....Kirschner is rumored to be heading back to Wayzata (or elsewhere).
Benilde also has been going to the Big Metro Tourney for many years. I think the big metro tourney has moved back to the last weekend in July now used to be middle of month. Benilde going to Proctor now is a nice grab for them. Benilde use to be able to do both.

Also ouch sounds like Red Knights are having tough summer as far as hockey players go! Thanks for the info!
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

ClassAGuy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:09 am
westsidescout wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:23 pm

Thanks Rails!

Benilde also has been going to the Big Metro Tourney for many years. I think the big metro tourney has moved back to the last weekend in July now used to be middle of month. Benilde going to Proctor now is a nice grab for them. Benilde use to be able to do both.

Also ouch sounds like Red Knights are having tough summer as far as hockey players go! Thanks for the info!
I stand corrected, Kirschner not going anywhere...false rumor. That leaves them with a decent first line of Koskie, Norris and Kirschner.
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

Any chance there is streaming of any of these festivals? I know there won't be production quality stuff, but anyone going to be doing anything for the folks back home?
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

updates on pool winners?
Play Like a Champion Today
BP

Post by BP »

Pools:

1 - Maple Grove
2- Academy of Holy Angels
3- Wayzata
4 - Chanhassen
5- Rogers
6 - Cretin-Derham Hall

Maple Grove vs winner of Chanhassen/Rogers
Academy of Holy Angels vs winner of Wayzata/Cretin-Derham Hall
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BP wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:20 am Pools:

1 - Maple Grove
2- Academy of Holy Angels
3- Wayzata
4 - Chanhassen
5- Rogers
6 - Cretin-Derham Hall

Maple Grove vs winner of Chanhassen/Rogers
Academy of Holy Angels vs winner of Wayzata/Cretin-Derham Hall
For those that may wonder how it went.... Again Summer Hockey means not much of anything but for those wanting some results..

Playin Games
CDH beat Wayzata
Rogers beat Chanhassen

Semifinal Games
AHA beat CDH
Rogers beat MG

Championship Game
Rogers beat AHA
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Caught a few games in Proctor this past weekend, and got reports from others (not many scores, more just thoughts on how teams looked). Notes on a few teams, with all the usual summer hockey asterisks about teams missing players:

Mahtomedi - Despite graduating a lot off of last season's surprise state champs, the Zephyrs look like they'll be right back in it. Took East to the woodshed for a period before the Hounds crawled back and made a game of it.
Benilde - As might be expected given this offseason's exodus, it was a bit rough with very few familiar faces. Not a horrid showing considering, but in an unforgiving section, I don't see them being in the same tier as Edina and Wayzata this season. If this tourney was any indication, Mason Minor is going to get an awful lot of ice time this year. To the earlier discussion on this thread, Kerschner was playing for the Red Knights.
St. Thomas - Not overly deep up front, but otherwise what you expect out of this system. Will be right there in 3AA.
Cloquet - Not much skill wise (and Karson Young was out), but hard-hitting and could be an annoying foe in a 7A semifinal. Would guess they would land around the 3-seed behind Hermantown and Hibbing.
Hermantown - Did not see myself, but given graduations and whatnot, was told is was a lot of new faces. Not a huge surprise to see them in reload mode.
Duluth East - Went 3-1, with wins over Cathedral, Cloquet, and Benilde and a loss to Maht; somewhat exceeded my expectations. Looked decently productive up front despite no Thomas Gunderson or Ian Christian. Kronstedt strong in goal. D definitely needs work, as expected; they got some help there by re-acquiring Luke Anderson, a senior who came up through the East system (Logan Anderson's brother) but played for Chaska last year. Would not be surprised to see a couple of sophomore D work their way into the lineup.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

karl(east) wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:22 pm Caught a few games in Proctor this past weekend, and got reports from others (not many scores, more just thoughts on how teams looked). Notes on a few teams, with all the usual summer hockey asterisks about teams missing players:

Mahtomedi - Despite graduating a lot off of last season's surprise state champs, the Zephyrs look like they'll be right back in it. Took East to the woodshed for a period before the Hounds crawled back and made a game of it.
Benilde - As might be expected given this offseason's exodus, it was a bit rough with very few familiar faces. Not a horrid showing considering, but in an unforgiving section, I don't see them being in the same tier as Edina and Wayzata this season. If this tourney was any indication, Mason Minor is going to get an awful lot of ice time this year. To the earlier discussion on this thread, Kerschner was playing for the Red Knights.
St. Thomas - Not overly deep up front, but otherwise what you expect out of this system. Will be right there in 3AA.
Cloquet - Not much skill wise (and Karson Young was out), but hard-hitting and could be an annoying foe in a 7A semifinal. Would guess they would land around the 3-seed behind Hermantown and Hibbing.
Hermantown - Did not see myself, but given graduations and whatnot, was told is was a lot of new faces. Not a huge surprise to see them in reload mode.
Duluth East - Went 3-1, with wins over Cathedral, Cloquet, and Benilde and a loss to Maht; somewhat exceeded my expectations. Looked decently productive up front despite no Thomas Gunderson or Ian Christian. Kronstedt strong in goal. D definitely needs work, as expected; they got some help there by re-acquiring Luke Anderson, a senior who came up through the East system (Logan Anderson's brother) but played for Chaska last year. Would not be surprised to see a couple of sophomore D work their way into the lineup.
Minor and Stenger will have to play 34 minutes per game for BSM because their 2nd and 3rd pair D are mediocre. Rogers fans will be making reservations at the Holiday Inn across from Xcel based on this wknds performance I'm guessing
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

westsidescout wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:43 am
karl(east) wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:22 pm Caught a few games in Proctor this past weekend, and got reports from others (not many scores, more just thoughts on how teams looked). Notes on a few teams, with all the usual summer hockey asterisks about teams missing players:

Minor and Stenger will have to play 34 minutes per game for BSM because their 2nd and 3rd pair D are mediocre. Rogers fans will be making reservations at the Holiday Inn across from Xcel based on this wknds performance I'm guessing
Who will their 2nd and 3rd pair D be?
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

westsidescout wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:43 am Rogers fans will be making reservations at the Holiday Inn across from Xcel based on this wknds performance I'm guessing
Sure hope not. They will be good, but it was summer hockey. A test of which team has the most varsity kids available for the weekend. Also know of many coaches who use the tournament to play Jv players vying for varsity spots.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

bardown27 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:51 am
westsidescout wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:43 am

Who will their 2nd and 3rd pair D be?
Benilde only had 2 of their varsity D in Duluth.