Section 5A Final (3/1/23)- #1 Little Falls vs #3 St. Cloud Cathedral

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins the 5A Final?

Little Falls
22%
St Cloud Cathedral
78%

Total votes: 9

ClassAGuy

Section 5A Final (3/1/23)- #1 Little Falls vs #3 St. Cloud Cathedral

Post by ClassAGuy »

Section 5A Final
#1 seed Little Falls (18-8-1) vs #3 seed St Cloud Cathedral (15-12-0)
@ Furniture and Things Community Event Center, Elk River, MN

Little Falls has struggled but survived as the emergence of 9th grade Goalie Izaak Kalis who took over the starting gig due to injury has been outstanding and carrying to the Flyers to the 5A Finals. The top line of Sophomore Joey Welinski with Senior Matt Filippi & Junior Carter Oothoudt is huge for the Flyer offense. Senior defenders Coltin Johnson & Matthew Copper each play mega minutes on the blue line along with Sophomore Luke Avery. While the Flyers are the #1 seed they will most likely be the underdog.

St Cloud Cathedral brought a ton of talent back from last year's Section runner up team but really struggled late in the year. However, the Crusaders are healthy and hot right now. They have an explosive 1st line led by Sophomores John Hirschfeld & Joey Gillespie who along with Junior Andrew Dwinnell have been very tough to handle. They have a super silky smooth defender in youngster 9th grader Griffin Sturm who is their top defender. However, the reason Cathedral is the favorite is because Junior Nick Hansen has been rock solid in the net and he led his team back to Section Final again this year.

Little Falls won the first two game but SCC looks very good in the Playoffs. Who wins the 3rd matchup?
Joe2015

Re: Section 5A Final (3/1/23)- #1 Little Falls vs #3 St. Cloud Cathedral

Post by Joe2015 »

I am scared to death if I am Little Falls...............this has upset written all over it
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Joe2015 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:32 am I am scared to death if I am Little Falls...............this has upset written all over it
Interesting comments, curious would the Crusaders winning even be an "upset" every where I looked SCC was picked to win 5A. Right now the poll is 6 votes for SCC none for LF to win.... Would it be more of an upset if LF won this game?

I personally picked SCC all year to win 5A they have the most Depth, they struggled all year with play consistent but seem to be healthy again now. I think its interesting that in a series that has been dominated recently by the Flyers who are (5-0-0) vs the Crusaders over the last 3 years, including a sweep recently this year, has such a strong vote for the "Lower Seed".... I know the Flyers wont be "scared to death" I am sure mite-dad can verify that but again would SCC not winning this game be considered the bigger upset?

Will be interested to see mite-dad's thoughts always has great insight on the Flyers and Central MN Class A Hockey.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

I don't know what to think of this one honestly. My mind says it's going to be a very close game that could go either way. It seems SCC has some momentum right now for sure. The shellacking of Monticello was a bit of a surprise. The tides may have shifted a bit as well as LF has been struck by the virus bug of late. Hopefully by Wednesday they can be ready with their full team at near full health. SCC will have to shut down LF first line, which I would argue is the best line in the section. Also Kalis has proven solid and can keep games close even when LF is being outshot. If SCC can get him moving side to side, that will be huge. If he can face the puck all night, he's tough. LF D has a couple guys with incredible tenacity in Johnson and Avery. Very high compete levels and they minimize scoring chances also. LF will have to stay out of the box.

It's hard to make a call. LF has beat them twice, but there's truth to the old saying, it's hard to beat a (good) team three times". There also has to be a seed of doubt in SCC head after losing twice to LF. But I'm no psychologist, lol. It's a rivalry. I expect it to be a very close entertaining game. The team that makes the least mistakes and stays out of the box will probably win.

Finally, there is the same potential haunting reality that I believe killed LF last year. That first line has been on the ice a ton again this year. Are they worn down? Do they have the stamina to win another tough game? Not sure. I think SCC might have the edge because of that.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Mite-dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:45 pm I don't know what to think of this one honestly. My mind says it's going to be a very close game that could go either way. It seems SCC has some momentum right now for sure. The shellacking of Monticello was a bit of a surprise. The tides may have shifted a bit as well as LF has been struck by the virus bug of late. Hopefully by Wednesday they can be ready with their full team at near full health. SCC will have to shut down LF first line, which I would argue is the best line in the section. Also Kalis has proven solid and can keep games close even when LF is being outshot. If SCC can get him moving side to side, that will be huge. If he can face the puck all night, he's tough. LF D has a couple guys with incredible tenacity in Johnson and Avery. Very high compete levels and they minimize scoring chances also. LF will have to stay out of the box.

It's hard to make a call. LF has beat them twice, but there's truth to the old saying, it's hard to beat a (good) team three times". There also has to be a seed of doubt in SCC head after losing twice to LF. But I'm no psychologist, lol. It's a rivalry. I expect it to be a very close entertaining game. The team that makes the least mistakes and stays out of the box will probably win.

Finally, there is the same potential haunting reality that I believe killed LF last year. That first line has been on the ice a ton again this year. Are they worn down? Do they have the stamina to win another tough game? Not sure. I think SCC might have the edge because of that.
Awesome Stuff Mite-dad as Always!

I did put a few thoughts together when I put together my Class A Week #2 Playoff Preview below yesterday-

Section 5A “A Classic Central Minnesota Rivalry” St Cloud Cathedral vs Little Falls has become one of the better rivalries in Class A in Central Minnesota over the last two decades. Back when Nate Schmidt’s Crusaders were taking on Ben Hanowski’s Flyers it was always one of the games to circle to go see for the locals in the area. Heck both Head Coaches played against each other in the rivalry as both Little Falls Joey Hanowski and SCC Robbie Stocker are alumni of their programs and very close in age and both in their 2nd years at the helms. Now the two recent new members of 5A but longtime rivals will head to Elk River for the 5A Final to meet for the third time. The Flyers won the first two games but the Crusaders were missing key players in both games due to health reasons. Now they meet for round three and as the old saying goes it hard to beat a good team three times which is why many around Class A have been picking the #3 seed over #1 seed as the betting line favorite. Would the Flyers winning as the top seed be seen as an upset?

Should be a great game!
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Also the game will be streamed by Flyer Media Productions at the link below Wednesday Night for those interested-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAEdgxyk6sQ
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Great breakdowns of the 1A stuff as usual ClassAGuy! Your research and hard work are appreciated!
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

LF up 2-0 early on SCC 1st period
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

LF scores again leads 3-0 in the 2nd period over SCC
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

SCC gets one back still down 3-1 to LF in the 2nd period
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

SCC scores right before the buzzer...

LF 3-2 over SCC still but the momentum is with Crusaders
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

SCC ties it up! 3-3 now all Crusaders in the third
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

OVERTIME

SOG 41-21 SCC
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Heading to Double OT

Flyers hanging on for dear life...

SOG 50-25 SCC
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Crusaders win it in Double OT on the PP
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

What a great game. The Flyers did what they had to do which was jump to an early lead. But in the end, they didn't have the legs. They wore down. SCC's second goal at the end of the 2nd was a tough one for the Flyers. Momentum swung. Going into the third with a 3-1 lead would have been huge for the Flyers hopes of winning. Good luck to the Crusaders.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

And holy cow! What a beautiful arena Elk River has!
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 pm Also the game will be streamed by Flyer Media Productions at the link below Wednesday Night for those interested-

Thanks for the info! Fun to watch after STA-Cretin.
You are a Class A guy but I won't tell Elliot! [-X
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

raidergrad72 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:07 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 pm Also the game will be streamed by Flyer Media Productions at the link below Wednesday Night for those interested-

I know it.
I even know his name.
I don't always agree with him.
Nor with Karl.
Always with Lee - no choice.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

72?
high school graduation year
or age?
getting close to both,
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm

72?
or age?
getting close to both,
Graduated in 1972 from Greenway. Had our 50th reunion last Labor Day weekend. I'm pushing 69.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

raidergrad72 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:09 pm
72?
or age?
getting close to both,
Graduated in 1972 from Greenway. Had our 50th reunion last Labor Day weekend. I'm pushing 69.
Pretty sure I played against you.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:02 pm
raidergrad72 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:09 pm

72?
or age?
getting close to both,
Pretty sure I played against you.
I didn't play any sports, just a fan. Sent you a pm.