2023 Section Seedings

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bodyup88

Re: 2023 Section Seedings

Post by bodyup88 »

Ethics question for the group: If you had footage of a section competitor committing a MSHSL rules violation, is it ethical to sit on the information until the week you play said competitor in a section final? Asking for a friend
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Sparlimb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:43 pm They have two days to rest and they are high school kids. Please. They better be ready because the tourney is 3 days in a row. Just beat whomever they put in front of you. I have no doubt Edina has the horses to win another title. Just keep winning.
Two things can be correct at once. You are correct that Edina should "just keep winning", but blatant incorrect seeding (by only four teams in 6AA which is an entirely different issue) should not happen. Otherwise what's the point of seeding teams? Also, I hate Edina, I have no horse in this argument.
girlshockey4ever wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:01 am 23 Penalties in a section final game between two top 15 teams? Give me a break. That is insane. I didn't watch it, but that many penalties are not called in boys game. 6 body checking penalties? It's not the same girls game from 10 years ago. Girls are bigger faster stronger. Could you imagine if these officials did a game between Tonka and Andover? That championship game last year was basically full on hitting!
Body checking is illegal in girls hockey, why should they not call it? IMO, it should be called more as it's wildly inconsistent now.
bodyup88 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:45 pm Ethics question for the group: If you had footage of a section competitor committing a MSHSL rules violation, is it ethical to sit on the information until the week you play said competitor in a section final? Asking for a friend
From the MSHSL bylaws:

BYLAW 408.00
1. Any protests against a member school for violation of League bylaws shall be made in writing to League officials. The protest shall:
A. be made within 24 hours after receipt of information...

Seems like a grey area... does that mean if you (or your friend :wink: ) reports it to the non-offending AD, then that AD has 24 hours to report it? Or 24 hours after the original "evidence" was obtained by anyone? Either way... I'm all for catching cheaters, ethics be damned. :D
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

bodyup88 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:45 pm Ethics question for the group: If you had footage of a section competitor committing a MSHSL rules violation, is it ethical to sit on the information until the week you play said competitor in a section final? Asking for a friend
Depends on how long ago the violation occurred, right?

Any detail on what's going down? Specifically, if this could result in a 4A situation from a few years back when fans showed up to a locked arena and a cancelled game?

I will say that if a team is violating league rules and it wins a State title or even makes it to the final weekend, there are a lot of people affected by the violation. Things as mundane as relatives flying in to watch a game, or as discrete as U18 national team resumes. Kids put way too much time and money into the sport for others to take it away via rules violations. These things matter. State titles matter. Section championships matter.

So I hope it would be reported, no matter how late.
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

Eagles93 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:58 pm
Sparlimb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:43 pm They have two days to rest and they are high school kids. Please. They better be ready because the tourney is 3 days in a row. Just beat whomever they put in front of you. I have no doubt Edina has the horses to win another title. Just keep winning.
Two things can be correct at once. You are correct that Edina should "just keep winning", but blatant incorrect seeding (by only four teams in 6AA which is an entirely different issue) should not happen. Otherwise what's the point of seeding teams? Also, I hate Edina, I have no horse in this argument.
girlshockey4ever wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:01 am 23 Penalties in a section final game between two top 15 teams? Give me a break. That is insane. I didn't watch it, but that many penalties are not called in boys game. 6 body checking penalties? It's not the same girls game from 10 years ago. Girls are bigger faster stronger. Could you imagine if these officials did a game between Tonka and Andover? That championship game last year was basically full on hitting!
Body checking is illegal in girls hockey, why should they not call it? IMO, it should be called more as it's wildly inconsistent now.
From the MSHSL bylaws:

BYLAW 408.00
1. Any protests against a member school for violation of League bylaws shall be made in writing to League officials. The protest shall:
A. be made within 24 hours after receipt of information...

Seems like a grey area... does that mean if you (or your friend :wink: ) reports it to the non-offending AD, then that AD has 24 hours to report it? Or 24 hours after the original "evidence" was obtained by anyone? Either way... I'm all for catching cheaters, ethics be damned. :D
The incident in question was a player on another team with an alcohol violation. That player did not play in the Section final due to the alcohol violation...which was allegedly reported by someone from the opposing school (I do not know if it was an admin, coach or player) exactly two games prior to the Section Final (two games is the minimum penalty for the violation). ALLEGEDLY (i.e. word around the rink) the reporting school (or a player at that school) has had the goods on the violator since the middle of last month.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:19 pm The incident in question was a player on another team with an alcohol violation. That player did not play in the Section final due to the alcohol violation...which was allegedly reported by someone from the opposing school (I do not know if it was an admin, coach or player) exactly two games prior to the Section Final (two games is the minimum penalty for the violation). ALLEGEDLY (i.e. word around the rink) the reporting school (or a player at that school) has had the goods on the violator since the middle of last month.
The Simley situation? Ethical? I'd say downright bush league... I really hope it wasn't an opponent that ratted her out.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

State seedings are out:

AA:
#2 Andover vs Rosemount
#3 Edina vs Lakeville North

#1 Minnetonka vs Centennial/Spring Lake Park
#4 Gentry vs #5 Moorhead

A:
#2 Proctor/Hermantown vs Mankato East
#3 Orono vs Luverne

#1 Warroad vs Albert Lea
#4 South Saint Paul vs #5 Fergus Falls
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Eagles93 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:02 am State seedings are out:

AA:
#2 Andover vs Rosemount
#3 Edina vs Lakeville North

#1 Minnetonka vs Centennial/Spring Lake Park
#4 Gentry vs #5 Moorhead

A:
#2 Proctor/Hermantown vs Mankato East
#3 Orono vs Luverne

#1 Warroad vs Albert Lea
#4 South Saint Paul vs #5 Fergus Falls
Anyone have reason to feel slighted here?
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

InThePipes wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:24 am Anyone have reason to feel slighted here?
Not slighted or nefarious, but disappointing for Centennial to (randomly) get the 8 seed as they had a decent argument for the 5 seed. Really doesn't matter though, the bottom 4 seeds don't stand much of a chance against any of the top 4 seeds.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Eagles93 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:09 pm
InThePipes wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:24 am Anyone have reason to feel slighted here?
Not slighted or nefarious, but disappointing for Centennial to (randomly) get the 8 seed as they had a decent argument for the 5 seed. Really doesn't matter though, the bottom 4 seeds don't stand much of a chance against any of the top 4 seeds.
It's probably a bit of a coin flip between those two as neither has much in the way of any signature wins, Moorhead over HF and playing Tonka very tough is probably about as good as it gets for either squad. I also agree, if any of the top 4 lose it's a significant upset.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

InThePipes wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:16 pm
It's probably a bit of a coin flip between those two as neither has much in the way of any signature wins, Moorhead over HF and playing Tonka very tough is probably about as good as it gets for either squad. I also agree, if any of the top 4 lose it's a significant upset.
I would agree that neither team had much for "signature wins". As you mentioned, Moorhead had a win over HF, and also Lakeville North, while playing Tonka and Warroad to 1-goal losses. Centennial had wins over Blake and Maple Grove, and but also lost to those same two teams. Coin flip, or slight edge to Moorhead.

The difference between the top 4 and the bottom 4 is that the top 4 expect to win the tournament, and the bottom 4 are just happy to have made it. Any 1st round upsets will be huge.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Lace'emUp wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:55 am
InThePipes wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:16 pm
I would agree that neither team had much for "signature wins". As you mentioned, Moorhead had a win over HF, and also Lakeville North, while playing Tonka and Warroad to 1-goal losses. Centennial had wins over Blake and Maple Grove, and but also lost to those same two teams. Coin flip, or slight edge to Moorhead.

The difference between the top 4 and the bottom 4 is that the top 4 expect to win the tournament, and the bottom 4 are just happy to have made it. Any 1st round upsets will be huge.
I missed the 1 goal loss to Warroad, I'm more on board with Moorhead as the #5 now as you added a little more detail. I'm not sure the Blake and MG wins, while both talented teams, qualify as overly impressive.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I would be happy to see Moorhead win their first game.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I can't see anyone beating Warroad.