CS Mid Term Rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
WestMetro
Posts: 2666
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by WestMetro » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:22 pm

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1078138

Has Carson R increased his odds for Mr Hockey?

hockey59
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by hockey59 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm

I believe the WBL HS team that won the AA Bantam title 3 years ago are missing Owen Gallatin & #97 from this listing Cameron Berg ☝️Gallatin is not yet draft eligible. MG, who lost to WBL in that title game are missing Faber, Kelley & Janicke (all to NTDP) along with Kyle K (to injury)

Blue Line
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by Blue Line » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm
I believe the WBL HS team that won the AA Bantam title 3 years ago are missing Owen Gallatin & #97 from this listing Cameron Berg ☝️Gallatin is not yet draft eligible. MG, who lost to WBL in that title game are missing Faber, Kelley & Janicke (all to NTDP) along with Kyle K (to injury)
Gallatin is a June 2002 birthday and is draft eligible.

hockey59
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by hockey59 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Blue Line wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 pm
hockey59 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm
I believe the WBL HS team that won the AA Bantam title 3 years ago are missing Owen Gallatin & #97 from this listing Cameron Berg ☝️Gallatin is not yet draft eligible. MG, who lost to WBL in that title game are missing Faber, Kelley & Janicke (all to NTDP) along with Kyle K (to injury)
Gallatin is a June 2002 birthday and is draft eligible.
He’s the next graduating class but must be old for his grade. Well, Scott P. didn’t make a splash the 1st year he was draft eligible either 😉

O-townClown
Posts: 3828
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by O-townClown » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:22 pm
https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1078138

Has Carson R increased his odds for Mr Hockey?
Two horse race between Gleason & Biondi, and I think the former locked it up when they faced each other. I understand NHL potential historically plays a role since some of their scouts are voters, but a few I've spoken to love the way he plays so I think he's safe.
Be kind. Rewind.

55116fan
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by 55116fan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:22 pm
https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1078138

Has Carson R increased his odds for Mr Hockey?
Two horse race between Gleason & Biondi, and I think the former locked it up when they faced each other. I understand NHL potential historically plays a role since some of their scouts are voters, but a few I've spoken to love the way he plays so I think he's safe.
I know that Gleason's size is considered a drawback, but are there other reasons he's not ranked more highly for the draft? He has the performance in AA and Elite League, offense, scoring touch, leadership, and I've read multiple comments that he's considered a top--if not the top--2-way player in MN HS. I'm a casual HS hockey fan, so I don't know much about it works. Thanks.

blueblood
Posts: 2369
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by blueblood » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 am

IMHO, Gleason and Brink are a good comparison. Both are ELITE but undersized, with Brink ending up going at the top of the 2nd round of last years NHL draft.

Heck, even Sammy Walker was drafted in the 7th round.
Play Like a Champion Today

O-townClown
Posts: 3828
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by O-townClown » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm

55116fan wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 pm
I know that Gleason's size is considered a drawback, but are there other reasons he's not ranked more highly for the draft? He has the performance in AA and Elite League, offense, scoring touch, leadership, and I've read multiple comments that he's considered a top--if not the top--2-way player in MN HS. I'm a casual HS hockey fan, so I don't know much about it works. Thanks.
Great question! Maybe he's the kind of player that goes undrafted, then has another big year post HS and eventually gets selected high. I know players like Anders Lee, Scott Perunovich, and Nathan Smith (Mankato St.) went undrafted once. I believe Shayne Gostisbehere went undrafted TWICE!
Be kind. Rewind.

Stang5280
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by Stang5280 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:40 pm

blueblood wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 am
IMHO, Gleason and Brink are a good comparison. Both are ELITE but undersized, with Brink ending up going at the top of the 2nd round of last years NHL draft.

Heck, even Sammy Walker was drafted in the 7th round.
Except that Brink spent his draft year tearing up the USHL, which showed he could still dominate among bigger, older players. Brink also had significant international experience.

I’m not saying it’s a bad comparison, just that Brink had proven himself on a higher level, and there was less risk in taking him higher in the draft.

hockey59
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by hockey59 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:15 pm

#-o
O-townClown wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:22 pm
https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1078138

Has Carson R increased his odds for Mr Hockey?
Two horse race between Gleason & Biondi, and I think the former locked it up when they faced each other. I understand NHL potential historically plays a role since some of their scouts are voters, but a few I've spoken to love the way he plays so I think he's safe.
I think the jury is still out. And I love Matt Gleason who btw NHL CS measured (at the start of the elite league season) at 5’7.75”. Their numbers are similar & Biondi plays a bit tougher regular season schedule. I think it will be a close vote between these two along with Kaiser of Andover ☝️

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 pm
Blue Line wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 pm
hockey59 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm
I believe the WBL HS team that won the AA Bantam title 3 years ago are missing Owen Gallatin & #97 from this listing Cameron Berg ☝️Gallatin is not yet draft eligible. MG, who lost to WBL in that title game are missing Faber, Kelley & Janicke (all to NTDP) along with Kyle K (to injury)
Gallatin is a June 2002 birthday and is draft eligible.
He’s the next graduating class but must be old for his grade. Well, Scott P. didn’t make a splash the 1st year he was draft eligible either 😉
Or the 2nd

hockey59
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by hockey59 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 pm

True, and as I’ve noted before, come April 25th, don’t be surprised when Perunovich is paired with Parayko playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs for the Blues.

O-townClown
Posts: 3828
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by O-townClown » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:15 pm
Biondi plays a bit tougher regular season schedule.
http://minnhock.com/strength.htm
Be kind. Rewind.

hockey59
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by hockey59 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:57 pm

OK, a bit weaker (29th as opposed to 24th) =P~ Still doesn’t change the fact Mr. Hockey is still up for grabs between 2 AA players & 1 de facto AA player (as of January 16th)

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:19 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 pm
True, and as I’ve noted before, come April 25th, don’t be surprised when Perunovich is paired with Parayko playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs for the Blues.
I could definitely see that..

Section 8 guy
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Honest question. Is the take that BB is a lock for Mr. Hockey because of his NHL stock overthinking it? He’s a great player. No question about that. But he’s a borderline 4th round pick who’s stock is stable. Has maybe even fallen a bit if anything. It isn’t like he’s skyrocketing like Brink did as a junior or something. And he’s the 4th highest rated MN high school player per the mid terms. His team is fine......but isn’t really overachieving and it doesn’t seem like he’s single handedly carrying the team to unexpected success like Brodzinski did last year.

Please don’t take my comments as negative towards him at all. That isn’t even remotely my point. He’s a great player. But we’re talking about earning the award as the states best player. I just don’t see his NHL stock as being so unique that he just gets handed the Mr. Hockey award because of it. That perspective is actually unfair to him if he does win it in my mind.
Last edited by Section 8 guy on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

hockey59
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by hockey59 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 am

I don’t think anybody is currently a lock. Biondi, Gleason & Kaiser, most likely one of these three takes home the prize. BB may regret turning down NTDP (twice) when he arrives on campus next Fall. Quinn Olson was a 3rd round pick of the Bruins last summer & only after the Holiday break did he finally ascend to a top 6 forward spot. BB won’t just be handed one next Fall, despite being from Hermantown [-X

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:57 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 am
I don’t think anybody is currently a lock. Biondi, Gleason & Kaiser, most likely one of these three takes home the prize. BB may regret turning down NTDP (twice) when he arrives on campus next Fall. Quinn Olson was a 3rd round pick of the Bruins last summer & only after the Holiday break did he finally ascend to a top 6 forward spot. BB won’t just be handed one next Fall, despite being from Hermantown [-X
Gleason isn’t a pure goal scorer like Brink. He isn’t the big slick playmaker and scorer like Biondi but his 2 way game is most like Zach Parise of the three.

Duckguy13
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:59 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by Duckguy13 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 pm

How many people vote..

Irregardless of NHL's potential, this should be all about who did the most for one team and played better than anyone else in a 4 month time period in the state of hockey. Hermantown, Edina, Moorehead, EP, Blaine, Andover, Benilde, PL, shouldn't matter. Who had the best and biggest effect....? No???

O-townClown
Posts: 3828
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by O-townClown » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Duckguy13 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 pm
How many people vote..

Irregardless of NHL's potential, this should be all about who did the most for one team and played better than anyone else in a 4 month time period in the state of hockey. Hermantown, Edina, Moorehead, EP, Blaine, Andover, Benilde, PL, shouldn't matter. Who had the best and biggest effect....? No???
From the Minnesota Minutemen website:

About Mr. Hockey
Founded in 1985 the Mr. Hockey Award is presented to the outstanding high school senior hockey player in the state of Minnesota.
Mr. Hockey is announced and the finalists honored at an annual banquet sponsored by the MN Wild.
The recipients are reviewed and selected by a group of National Hockey League scouts, Division I coaches, Division 3 coaches and USHL scouts.


Obviously people can disagree with what outstanding means. Historically it has helped to be seen as having NHL potential.
Be kind. Rewind.

Duckguy13
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:59 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by Duckguy13 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:02 pm

The reviewers..answers my question I guess..

Who is the best candidate for nhl/ushl, not who had the biggest impact on MN highschool hockey in a given year for reaching the state tournament or making an impact on MN highschool hockey. :?

WestMetro
Posts: 2666
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Biondi did not exactly light up Ushl last fall and he had a slow start in HS season . Maybe missed Pierce as linemate . But he has been piling up points lately . That may be enough , specially since the program is long overdue for an A class winner

Am a little puzzled that Richels passed up Biondi in the recent CS list . Blake dropped quite a bit and Carson really jumped. Not that he shouldn’t be somewhere in the low 100s with lots of potential. But point production pace not quite what would have expected so far. One could make case Hanson has been equally valuable to Blaine this year. Nevertheless ,lots of scouts apparently think he should be equal or some what ahead of Biondi . If he and Blaine does well in HDM and next few weeks before voting takes place, he may make things close

There is a good story for Gleason also .No surprise on this . Great point production and two way effort . No question the mvp of this team . Probably most exciting player to watch most nites . Way down on the NHL list though.

As far as Kaiser, as good as he is, I just don’t see the breakout point production to win the title from the blue line . That isn’t what Coach Manney wants this year . Andover success is more of a team effort . He is their mvp but not as obvious as Biondi or Gleason . No question he will and should win Reed Larson though .

All in all , a bit more perplexed on the winner at this point. . Whereas at the end of last season , I would have put $99 of $ 100 on Biondi

Crusty
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:24 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by Crusty » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:49 am

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 pm
Am a little puzzled that Richels passed up Biondi in the recent CS list . Blake dropped quite a bit and Carson really jumped. Not that he shouldn’t be somewhere in the low 100s with lots of potential. But point production pace not quite what would have expected so far. One could make case Hanson has been equally valuable to Blaine this year. Nevertheless ,lots of scouts apparently think he should be equal or some what ahead of Biondi . If he and Blaine does well in HDM and next few weeks before voting takes place, he may make things close
Couldn't agree more on that point, I think without Brodzinski on his line, the better teams are covering him better which gives Hansen time and space and he's taking advantage of it.

hockey59
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by hockey59 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:36 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 pm
Biondi did not exactly light up Ushl last fall and he had a slow start in HS season . Maybe missed Pierce as linemate . But he has been piling up points lately . That may be enough , specially since the program is long overdue for an A class winner

Am a little puzzled that Richels passed up Biondi in the recent CS list . Blake dropped quite a bit and Carson really jumped. Not that he shouldn’t be somewhere in the low 100s with lots of potential. But point production pace not quite what would have expected so far. One could make case Hanson has been equally valuable to Blaine this year. Nevertheless ,lots of scouts apparently think he should be equal or some what ahead of Biondi . If he and Blaine does well in HDM and next few weeks before voting takes place, he may make things close

There is a good story for Gleason also .No surprise on this . Great point production and two way effort . No question the mvp of this team . Probably most exciting player to watch most nites . Way down on the NHL list though.

As far as Kaiser, as good as he is, I just don’t see the breakout point production to win the title from the blue line . That isn’t what Coach Manney wants this year . Andover success is more of a team effort . He is their mvp but not as obvious as Biondi or Gleason . No question he will and should win Reed Larson though .

All in all , a bit more perplexed on the winner at this point. . Whereas at the end of last season , I would have put $99 of $ 100 on Biondi
Richels is 6’3” while Biondi is 6’1” and NHL scouts give added rating points to players with above average “NHL” size. ☝️While Biondi didn’t light it up in the USHL “before” what MN HS player has in recent years who isn’t named Casey Mittelstadt? I like Richels as a hockey player, and believe he will do well at UNH & has a good hockey future. That said, he benefited significantly playing on a line with Bryce Brodzinski, a pure goal scorer & excellent set-up guy (so did Cole Hansen) who was virtually unknown before last season. And this year with opposing teams keying on stopping Richels, to a degree Hansen & Reiman continue to benefit. But again, when all is said and done, I think either Biondi or Gleason win Mr Hockey & agree playing on Andover, which surprisingly tends to dump & chase way more than I’d advise when ya got Kaiser & Wolfe on the blue line, doesn’t help Kaisers chances. Also Andover isn’t a true “name team” yet, having never advanced to AA State, which hurts Kaisers prospects too. The fact Gleason plays like such a bulldog all 200’ & is so dynamic & fun to watch very well may carry him to Mr. Hockey, despite being 5’8”. But with 7 weeks still remaining, it’s still very much a horse race with Biondi & Gleason leading the way!

WestMetro
Posts: 2666
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: CS Mid Term Rankings

Post by WestMetro » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:44 pm

59- Excellent perspectives as always !

Post Reply