Edina Holiday Classic

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who "wins" the EHC?

Elks
16%
Eagles
3%
Indians
22%
Hornets
59%

Total votes: 37

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I am traveling through the Cities tomorrow and was considering catching the GR-Edina game. Can you get tickets at the door?
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I am traveling through the Cities tomorrow and was considering catching the GR-Edina game. Can you get tickets at the door?
Yes.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Big opportunities ahead for Grand Rapids at the Edina Classic:

http://grhshockey.com/teams/default.asp ... wsID=34190
grindiangrad-80

Traxler wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I am traveling through the Cities tomorrow and was considering catching the GR-Edina game. Can you get tickets at the door?
Yes.
Thank you.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Plenty of good seats available, crowds have been down across the board.
grindiangrad-80

alcloseshaver wrote:Plenty of good seats available, crowds have been down across the board.
Thank you for the info.

I will be there.
boblee

Post by boblee »

All four Edina Classic teams are ranked in the top 10:

2. Edina
6. Elk River
7. Eden Prairie
10. Grand Rapids
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Tough night for ER, basically played most of the third period short handed. Kiersted got a 5 and 10 at the end of the second. Was not ejected, played the last few minutes of the third. Is it the referees discretion to eject or not on a 5 and 10? Game was much closer than the score indicated, Elks were hitting pipes and had a goal waved off on a gimme goal when the EP goalie slid across the crease and knocked the net off as the puck was crossing the goal line or not.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Edina improves to 24-1 in last 25 Edina Classic games with an impressive 8-3 win over Grand Rapids.

http://grhshockey.com/teams/default.asp ... wsID=34198
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

alcloseshaver wrote:...Elks were hitting pipes and had a goal waved off on a gimme goal when the EP goalie slid across the crease and knocked the net off as the puck was crossing the goal line or not.
At least from my perspective in game #2 Edina scored a goal on a nearly identical play. I was wondering what the ref would call the second time around, and after about a 3-4 second hesitation he held up his arm to signal goal. Did anybody else see both plays? I want to say it was Edina's 4th goal, but can't remember for sure, though it was in the 2nd period. Wondering what other opinions are, as one was waived off after a short referee meeting & the other was allowed.

Did anybody else who saw both games think that Jaremko was the best skater & most fun to watch between all 4 teams? No offense to Malmquist or Mittlestadt, but come on.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Jaremko is the type of player that brings you to your feet every time he gets the puck. My issue with the no goal call is how easily the net came off it's moorings. Simple hard post to post slide by the EP goalie and he pops it off. I'm sure it is a safety issue but some rinks it comes off to easily.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I only stayed for the first two periods of the Edina-Grand Rapids game, so anything that happened in the 3rd, I was not a witness for.

Personally, I was impressed with GR. They have size and they, for the most part, can skate. They're not Edina when it comes to the skating, but I didn't think they were stuck in mud by any means. First GR goal a little lucky with it coming hard off the back boards, 2nd goal very nice. Easily had a few chances to make it at least 3-0, perhaps 4-0. Boe's skate save for sure kept it at that. Once Edina got that first goal though, that was all Edina needed to get going.

I didn't think Edina played super poor the first period; obviously could have moved their feet a little better, but they weren't dogging it, at least I didn't think. But after that first goal, wow did they come. A few things about Edina. A) Scary to think that Bellows & Zuhlsdorf could be on this team. B) Very scary to think that a guy like Bowlby can be a 4th liner last year. That guy jumped out to me big time!

I had heard stuff about Edina's powerplay not clicking. They scored one in the 2nd & I think scored another in the 3rd when I had left. I think that will take a little time, considering some of the guys that they lost off of last year's PP. I like Edina's D, but didn't really seem like they have that QB type of presence up top offensively like last year. Perhaps one of those young guys will develop into that.

All good teams get better as the season goes on, so clearly some of the top guns will all get better. But Edina does seem to have a high ceiling, which is not good for everyone else.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

I was impressed to see that Garrett Malmquist got a couple goals and a helper. He has always been in the shadows of his older brother and the other junior named Garrett. If he can contribute like that it'll make Edina even more dangerous!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Bayside, I saw both situations you mention, and both were correctly called in terms of timing of goal vs timing of when net came off the posts

(But, I couldnt tell whether there was any goalie intention in either situation)

Bad luck for Elks and Hawks.

Yes Jaremko is exciting everytime he gets the puck, its not by chance he is leading scorer.

My Mr Hockey picks have been Bowen, Jaremko and Malmquist, in that order,
and Im not thinking about any changes right now.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Doc Holliday wrote: B) Very scary to think that a guy like Bowlby can be a 4th liner last year. That guy jumped out to me big time!
Someone tell me this is just a glitch in the HockeyHub website. I'm showing Bowlby with 0-Goals and 9-Assists in 38 career games. Is this correct?

Has he really never scored a varsity goal, but is somehow committed to St. Lawrence? I know St. Lawrence isn't exactly Boston College, but really, not one goal?

Is he snake bitten? Does he ever shoot? Is he saving all his goals for college?

I mean, just go stand by the net and see if someone can bank one in off your shin pads!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

C-dad wrote:I was impressed to see that Garrett Malmquist got a couple goals and a helper. He has always been in the shadows of his older brother and the other junior named Garrett. If he can contribute like that it'll make Edina even more dangerous!
He didn't even play in the game....
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Malmquist just wrapped up Mr. Hockey with that performance against ER.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

ER was controlling play, up 2-1 after 2 then Edina's PP took over. 6 pts for Mr
Hockey. If ER has gas left in the tank they should finally beat Rapids.
eazy98

Post by eazy98 »

Malmquist (2g and 4a) and Wait (1g and 5a) will get all of the headlines from tonight, but the Parker Mismash storyline was interesting to watch.

Most of the first period was uneventful, but on his last shift of the period he was all over the place. He played the body on a couple guys and ended up taking a slashing penalty. Giles rewarded him by sitting him on the bench for the entire second period.

He was back in his normal spot on the first line to start the 3rd period. He drew three penalties in the third and they scored goals on all three power plays. On the last one, he was just above the crease and was cross checked out of that area. A little later Foley scored from the blue line. After the goal Mismash cross checked the guy who hit him pretty high and drew a penalty for it. Much of the cheap stuff in the final minutes was instigated by this. When Mismash got back to the bench Giles gave him an earful.

I've watched Edina several times this year and this is how Mismash plays. He gets under the skin of the opponent and draws penalties regularly. I assumed this was okay with the coaching staff until the changes they made tonight. It'll be interesting to see if he's in his normal spot tomorrow against EP or if he'll get some time off.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Malmquist sure has always been cocky for not even getting drafted.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

eazy98 wrote:Malmquist (2g and 4a) and Wait (1g and 5a) will get all of the headlines from tonight, but the Parker Mismash storyline was interesting to watch.

Most of the first period was uneventful, but on his last shift of the period he was all over the place. He played the body on a couple guys and ended up taking a slashing penalty. Giles rewarded him by sitting him on the bench for the entire second period.

He was back in his normal spot on the first line to start the 3rd period. He drew three penalties in the third and they scored goals on all three power plays. On the last one, he was just above the crease and was cross checked out of that area. A little later Foley scored from the blue line. After the goal Mismash cross checked the guy who hit him pretty high and drew a penalty for it. Much of the cheap stuff in the final minutes was instigated by this. When Mismash got back to the bench Giles gave him an earful.

I've watched Edina several times this year and this is how Mismash plays. He gets under the skin of the opponent and draws penalties regularly. I assumed this was okay with the coaching staff until the changes they made tonight. It'll be interesting to see if he's in his normal spot tomorrow against EP or if he'll get some time off.
Edina has every right to be full of themselves, they are who they are but they sure are chippy. Did not run at Jaremko and Kiersted as much as last year but Mismash leveled Kiersted after the above mentioned goal causing ER to retaliate in the last minute. So much skill, just knock off the tough gut stuff. difference was their PP in the third.
green4

Post by green4 »

Bonin2121 wrote:Malmquist sure has always been cocky for not even getting drafted.
Yeah, how dare - a two time state champ, Notre Dame commit, captain of a talent high school team, which just beat a top 10 opponent in a physical and emotional game, where he provided 6 points - act cocky when he was not drafted as a junior in high school.
How ridiculous for him to celebrate the way he wants when he was not one of the 210 best players coming out of the US, Canada, Scandinavia or Russia.
Someone call up Justin Kloos and let him teach Malmquist how an undrafted hockey player should act. :roll:

Better yet, if they don't like it, play some defense, kill a penalty, don't give up 5 goals in the 3rd period and don't let the cocky player tally 6 points.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Looks like ER is bent on self destruction. Stay out of the box for Pete sakes. And always the excuses and complaints from the fan base. It gets old, look in the mirror. I find Edina's style of play refreshing in a throwback kind of way. Wish more teams would play that style. Though the celly's are a bit over the top(annoying). Fun tournament to watch so far, hopefully some more good games today to finish it up, though Saturday games get a bit sloppy with the fatigue setting in.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

edgeless2 wrote:Looks like ER is bent on self destruction. Stay out of the box for Pete sakes. And always the excuses and complaints from the fan base. It gets old, look in the mirror. I find Edina's style of play refreshing in a throwback kind of way. Wish more teams would play that style. Though the celly's are a bit over the top(annoying). Fun tournament to watch so far, hopefully some more good games today to finish it up, though Saturday games get a bit sloppy with the fatigue setting in.
Was there some whining last night? I stayed out of whining territory. Frustrating to lose to EP and Edina every year. 2006 is the last time they beat EP in the Classic I think.
grindiangrad-80

I made it to the game on Thursday night. I had never been to Braemer before but I am sure I will be back. It is a very nice place to take in a game.

As for the game, even though the Hornets pulled away, there was plenty of good hockey played by both teams. I thought they were both very good at transitioning from defense to offense.

Both goalies were solid on turning away the 1st shot. It seemed that Edina created more havoc in front of the net and that resulted in a few more flurries that they were able to capitalize on.

Not an expert- just a fan. That was my take.

All in all it was entertaining and we will be hearing more from both teams as the season goes on.