Squirt A & B Tournament of Champions (NOT)

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

iseepalms

Squirt A & B Tournament of Champions (NOT)

Post by iseepalms »

How can Minnesota Hockey have a Tournament Of Champions when half the teams are Runner-Ups and all districts are not included. They say it is a pilot program thing but only for District 3,5,6 and 10 Hugh! Where is district 2 and 8 they are right in the middle of these. Again it looks fishy thst only certain districts get to play. At least you could have had all Champions instead of taking care of the Runner-Ups. No wonder Minnesota Hockey is losing players to "AAA". Elliot what are you thoughts.
Tournament OF Champions and Losers.
And don't forget they get 4 more games.
Froggy Richards

Re: Squirt A & B Tournament of Champions (NOT)

Post by Froggy Richards »

iseepalms wrote:How can Minnesota Hockey have a Tournament Of Champions when half the teams are Runner-Ups and all districts are not included. They say it is a pilot program thing but only for District 3,5,6 and 10 Hugh! Where is district 2 and 8 they are right in the middle of these. Again it looks fishy thst only certain districts get to play. At least you could have had all Champions instead of taking care of the Runner-Ups. No wonder Minnesota Hockey is losing players to "AAA". Elliot what are you thoughts.
Tournament OF Champions and Losers.
And don't forget they get 4 more games.
Elliot's thoughts are probably the same as when you started this same thread 3 weeks ago. :roll:
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

You must be part of the Minnesota Hockey people that allowed this, Great Job!
This could have been corrected three weeks ago to include just Champions not sister kissers. again Great Job!
50cent

Post by 50cent »

iseepalms wrote:You must be part of the Minnesota Hockey people that allowed this, Great Job!
This could have been corrected three weeks ago to include just Champions not sister kissers. again Great Job!
Here is a thought for you. Stop bitchin about this on a youth hockey forum and bring it to your association prez. Have him do the dirty work. 8)
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

This is exactly what was expected. Thank You all for your time, never to post again.
50cent

Post by 50cent »

iseepalms wrote:This is exactly what was expected. Thank You all for your time, never to post again.

No need to sound so Butthurt. I was simply giving you a better option then complaining about it on a forum. If you really want to see a change contact your association president.

Btw not sad to see you go
:P
penguinos

Post by penguinos »

iseepalms wrote:This is exactly what was expected. Thank You all for your time, never to post again.
If you didn't whine in every post you might be taken with half seriously.
50cent

Post by 50cent »

No need to sound so Butthurt. I was simply giving you a better option then complaining about it on a forum. If you really want to see a change contact your association president.

Btw not sad to see you go
:P
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

They probably came up with it late and came out of left field for districts. You're right, isee. They don't think, they react.

It's really too bad since the kids in the districts left out are only squirts once.
zooomx

it is squirt hockey people

Post by zooomx »

Ok... we are talking about Squirt Hockey right? 9 and 10 year olds. Do we really need to crown kings and queens at this age group? They will have 7... count them 7 more seasons after Squirts to worry about chasing the big trophies.

Squirts is a great transition level in which our skaters go from Mite games THAT JUST DONT MATTER to playing more meaningful games were goals do count and result in wins and losses. Let's worry about Champions at Pee Wees, Bantams and beyond.

At Squirts the kids really just want to finally play in real games. They don't need the added pressure of standings and championships. Coaches do not need additional pressure to shorten the bench either. Just let them play.
Cdale

Re: it is squirt hockey people

Post by Cdale »

zooomx wrote:Ok... we are talking about Squirt Hockey right? 9 and 10 year olds. Do we really need to crown kings and queens at this age group? They will have 7... count them 7 more seasons after Squirts to worry about chasing the big trophies.

Squirts is a great transition level in which our skaters go from Mite games THAT JUST DONT MATTER to playing more meaningful games were goals do count and result in wins and losses. Let's worry about Champions at Pee Wees, Bantams and beyond.

At Squirts the kids really just want to finally play in real games. They don't need the added pressure of standings and championships. Coaches do not need additional pressure to shorten the bench either. Just let them play.
Amen. It's squirts. Little Billy & Jonny & Sammy will be OK. 'Palms- will you be able to sleep tonight?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

In line with all the districts being able to go to Fargo with the exception of District 10.

Border bound hockey...
knights58

squirts

Post by knights58 »

Geeze...sounds like a soccer mom forum. So should we get rid of tournaments all together for the little bittie squirts? Or..have the games and not keep score? Or...just let them play the tournament and give them all a participation medal? Sometimes I think it's the parents that don't want any "pressure"...most the kids do just fine with the "pressure". I do agree that anyone shortening their bench to win at squirts is silly. Let them all play in pressure situations at all times as this will help their overall development.
Johnsonpres

Post by Johnsonpres »

I see on Youth Hockey Hub they rank Squirts and I also heard that Minnesota Hockey next year will have a tournament champions for all districts. Yes Squirt hockey is a stepping stone to Pee Wee's and Bantams but if you look there are alot more Squirt teams than the other levels, I think Minnesota Hockey is doing the right thing by having this tournament but I disagree starting with some districts but not all. Here at Johnson Como we have the #1 ranked "B" Squirt team and we are not in the tournament until hopefully next year. Good Luck to the teams that get to participate this year and it has to start somewhere.
"GOOD LUCK"
MrBoDangles

Re: squirts

Post by MrBoDangles »

knights58 wrote:Geeze...sounds like a soccer mom forum. So should we get rid of tournaments all together for the little bittie squirts? Or..have the games and not keep score? Or...just let them play the tournament and give them all a participation medal? Sometimes I think it's the parents that don't want any "pressure"...most the kids do just fine with the "pressure". I do agree that anyone shortening their bench to win at squirts is silly. Let them all play in pressure situations at all times as this will help their overall development.
^

:idea:
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

MrBoDangles wrote:
knights58 wrote:Geeze...sounds like a soccer mom forum. So should we get rid of tournaments all together for the little bittie squirts? Or..have the games and not keep score? Or...just let them play the tournament and give them all a participation medal? Sometimes I think it's the parents that don't want any "pressure"...most the kids do just fine with the "pressure". I do agree that anyone shortening their bench to win at squirts is silly. Let them all play in pressure situations at all times as this will help their overall development.
Absolutely. The kids love it and there is no added pressure whatsoever. They get upset after a loss just like anyone else, but ten minutes later they're thinking about what they're off to do next. Our U8 Mite team played in their first ever full ice tournament last weekend. Score, Penalties, Standings, Trophies, Champion, the whole ball of wax. It was the best experience every one of those kids has had thus far in their hockey career.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Froggy Richards wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Absolutely. The kids love it and there is no added pressure whatsoever. They get upset after a loss just like anyone else, but ten minutes later they're thinking about what they're off to do next. Our U8 Mite team played in their first ever full ice tournament last weekend. Score, Penalties, Standings, Trophies, Champion, the whole ball of wax. It was the best experience every one of those kids has had thus far in their hockey career.
Yes, Mites get a taste of true completion at the end the season. Squirts play real games and play in real tournaments and it ratchets up a bit. I agree it is great to challenge them and test their skills. I just don't get all the rage about not being able to play for a state championship.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Johnsonpres wrote:I see on Youth Hockey Hub they rank Squirts and I also heard that Minnesota Hockey next year will have a tournament champions for all districts. Yes Squirt hockey is a stepping stone to Pee Wee's and Bantams but if you look there are alot more Squirt teams than the other levels, I think Minnesota Hockey is doing the right thing by having this tournament but I disagree starting with some districts but not all. Here at Johnson Como we have the #1 ranked "B" Squirt team and we are not in the tournament until hopefully next year. Good Luck to the teams that get to participate this year and it has to start somewhere.
"GOOD LUCK"
What is your A Squirt team ranked?
Johnsonpres

Post by Johnsonpres »

InigoMontoya,
I know where your headed but we have a total of 35 Squirts. We returned 4 forwards back from our "B" team last year and we did consider going "A" but only had one goalie at this level and 1 returning defenseman. No we don't have an "A" team we have 12 total players on our "B" team, 12 players on one "C" team and 11 on the other"C" team.
But I would tell you I coach the "B" team and am very proud that our kids can a least compete where if we would have went "A" we would be losing by double digits so what do you purpose we do? Compete our get so overwhelmed the kids don't learn anything. I notice that know one ever posts where they are from. I am from Johnson Como and proud of it and developement and keeping hockey alive in the inter-city is getting harder every year. Most associations water down their teams by having 4 or 5 "B" teams we don't have those numbers. It would be nice once in a while to get some positive feedback after we keep pulling ourselves off the canvas.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Johnsonpres wrote:InigoMontoya,
I know where your headed but we have a total of 35 Squirts. We returned 4 forwards back from our "B" team last year and we did consider going "A" but only had one goalie at this level and 1 returning defenseman. No we don't have an "A" team we have 12 total players on our "B" team, 12 players on one "C" team and 11 on the other"C" team.
But I would tell you I coach the "B" team and am very proud that our kids can a least compete where if we would have went "A" we would be losing by double digits so what do you purpose we do? Compete our get so overwhelmed the kids don't learn anything. I notice that know one ever posts where they are from. I am from Johnson Como and proud of it and developement and keeping hockey alive in the inter-city is getting harder every year. Most associations water down their teams by having 4 or 5 "B" teams we don't have those numbers. It would be nice once in a while to get some positive feedback after we keep pulling ourselves off the canvas.
I highly doubt a team that has a reported record of 33-0-1, and a "goal differential" of +7 each game, would have lost many, if any, games by 10+ goals at the A level. If you're whipping Roseville 8-0 at the B level you're not going to lose 10-0 to their A team. There isn't that large of a talent disparity.

You would be doing more for the program's players by having your best compete against the top players in the region. You obviously had the talent to do it this year.

This is the same thing the Hudson teams do - play their top teams at the B level and destroy their District 2 opponents.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Apples and oranges

Hudson plays with much younger kids.All Wi teams do.
57special

Post by 57special »

Johnsonpres wrote:InigoMontoya,
If you are ranked #1 and hammering other teams in B you will have no trouble playing at the A level. It could be argued that you are doing your kids a disservice by playing down. They will learn more playing at the A level and struggling to win each game than by beating teams at the B level by 5 or more goals.

To say you are "at least competing" when you are 33-0 and then expecting us to applaud you is a bit much.
Johnsonpres

Post by Johnsonpres »

I really appreciate some of the input but we have to designate before tryouts and schedules are even made before tryouts are done. Again we have 12 total players and part of the issue is we have two lines so our first line is playing other teams third line every other time. There is no way we ever expected this team to do this well but we challenge them all the time in practice to be better than anyone and be positive to motivate them to over achieve. We talk to a lot of coaches and some like Roseville and Sibley for examples say they should have never fielded "A" teams. We went to the Virginia tournament and everyone we played don't field "A" teams anymore just "B", they include Virginia, International Falls and a lot of the Duluth teams at the Squirt level. Look at areas like Osseo Maple Grove has 1 "A" team that is #1 and three teams in the top 5 in "B" maybe they should have had two "A" Squirt teams see it goes on and on and don't even look at Edina. I am still very proud of what we are doing. I use to coach the "A" Pee Wee team and I have seen what happens when you get in over your head and players can't develop.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Johnsonpres wrote:I really appreciate some of the input but we have to designate before tryouts and schedules are even made before tryouts are done. Again we have 12 total players and part of the issue is we have two lines so our first line is playing other teams third line every other time. There is no way we ever expected this team to do this well but we challenge them all the time in practice to be better than anyone and be positive to motivate them to over achieve. We talk to a lot of coaches and some like Roseville and Sibley for examples say they should have never fielded "A" teams. We went to the Virginia tournament and everyone we played don't field "A" teams anymore just "B", they include Virginia, International Falls and a lot of the Duluth teams at the Squirt level. Look at areas like Osseo Maple Grove has 1 "A" team that is #1 and three teams in the top 5 in "B" maybe they should have had two "A" Squirt teams see it goes on and on and don't even look at Edina. I am still very proud of what we are doing. I use to coach the "A" Pee Wee team and I have seen what happens when you get in over your head and players can't develop.
JC needs to have some impartial outsiders come in and help them figure out levels. 33-0-1 with HUGE goal differentials? That looks like poor sportsmanship. You can feel proud about this if you want but it's the sort of thing that could prevent JC from getting invited to tournaments at all levels. BTW, this isn't the first time we've seen kids skating at the wrong level.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Didn't Johnson do this last year @ Pee-wees ? Seems like it is S.O.P. down there.