Made Choice scheduling 20% of practices on an outdoor sheet.

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sunsetcliffs98

Made Choice scheduling 20% of practices on an outdoor sheet.

Post by Sunsetcliffs98 »

Kind of goes against one of their biggest selling points.

Outdoor ice is too unpredictable to be scheduling practices for late November when most citis that flood their parks don't even bother to try until the middle of December and stop maintaining mid February.
O-townClown

Re: Made Choice scheduling 20% of practices on an outdoor sh

Post by O-townClown »

Sunsetcliffs98 wrote:Kind of goes against one of their biggest selling points.
Kind of indicates the interest level in the Choice programs!
Be kind. Rewind.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Do you know what rink they are using?
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

My understanding is they have a third rink on site that will be outdoors. The rink will be refrigerated and resurfaced. I believe the cost is $140 per hour and don't quote me and very manageable in the colder months of winter (ie November to March)...I could be way off on the price and way off on the window of months.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Outdoor ice is too unpredictable to be scheduling practices for late November when most citis that flood their parks don't even bother to try until the middle of December and stop maintaining mid February.
I'm curious as to which Choice level would be utilizing the outdoor rink...we received our Choice schedule for the upcoming season and it doesn't mention anything about outdoor?
JDogsDad

Post by JDogsDad »

thefatcat wrote:

I'm curious as to which Choice level would be utilizing the outdoor rink...we received our Choice schedule for the upcoming season and it doesn't mention anything about outdoor?
It's Rink #3 on your schedule. The Choice squirts are using it, not sure about the others.
stonehands

Post by stonehands »

Seems like a no brainer - can't believe that other rinks / cities around town have not done it. Roseville Oval only one that comes to mind - great facility.
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

stonehands wrote:Seems like a no brainer - can't believe that other rinks / cities around town have not done it. Roseville Oval only one that comes to mind - great facility.

Not if your going to MM for the indoor ice.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

stonehands wrote:Seems like a no brainer - can't believe that other rinks / cities around town have not done it. Roseville Oval only one that comes to mind - great facility.
I think St. Paul has a couple other outdoor refrigerated rinks.

Yup Phalen, North Dale and palace, along with the downtown one at Landmark Center.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

3 rinks, choice games will be on the indoor rinks, but only 20% of practices will be outdoors?
Looks like the EHA (Edina) will be getting all their MM ice on rink 3 this winter.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Should have no problem having great ice with it being refrigerated. Kids will have a blast, parents not so much.. :wink:
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

JDogsDad wrote:
thefatcat wrote:

It's Rink #3 on your schedule. The Choice squirts are using it, not sure about the others.
I see 9 practices on Rink #3, I have mixed feelings about it. My son will probably think its cool...until it's 10 below outside.
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

fatcat,

What are your mixed feelings on the ice being out door.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Kids w/cold hands/feet. When it's 10 below we have that in our bubble.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

MNM JMH wrote:fatcat,

What are your mixed feelings on the ice being out door.
-Not being told until schedules came out (wasn't mentioned by MM)
-Having to stand out in the cold to watch

Not deal breakers by any means, minor annoyances I guess....just would have been nice to know in advance.
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

I would bet that if 20% or so called to complain there would be something done. My son is playing at the choice squirt this winter. I am not to happy that not one person ever talked about it with me. I was told over 120 hrs of all in door ice. Looks like 30-35 hours will be outside at this point.
observer

Post by observer »

Presented correctly by MM, highlighting the features and benefits, I think this would be a non-factor. But, MM doesn't have a history of presenting their story correctly.

And, if priced right, and weather cooperates, I think they could book the sh.. out of it.
gowild5555

MM rink #3

Post by gowild5555 »

WOW --- hockey in a cold sport. Mark Messier, Gretzy, Orr and etc....all played POND hockey back in the day, no matter what the temp was outside. I think it's great for MM to have this opporunity. Kids will have a blast. I am guessing if its too cold then they will cancel practice, the associations do the SAME DARN thing. Nobody has even practiced at #3 and everyone is bashing it. This is MN hockey - live with it.

My kid is excited and he is a MITE Gold.
MNM JMH

Re: MM rink #3

Post by MNM JMH »

gowild5555 wrote:WOW --- hockey in a cold sport. Mark Messier, Gretzy, Orr and etc....all played POND hockey back in the day, no matter what the temp was outside. I think it's great for MM to have this opporunity. Kids will have a blast. I am guessing if its too cold then they will cancel practice, the associations do the SAME DARN thing. Nobody has even practiced at #3 and everyone is bashing it. This is MN hockey - live with it.

Correct? Only thing is association COST 500-700

MADE 1,600.00 and I was sold on all in door ice.

Some see it there way and other read a web page and it sounds like the kids they send to train will and would have got more out of the training INDOORS........
IHEA

Re: MM rink #3

Post by IHEA »

gowild5555 wrote:WOW --- hockey in a cold sport. Mark Messier, Gretzy, Orr and etc....all played POND hockey back in the day, no matter what the temp was outside. I think it's great for MM to have this opporunity. Kids will have a blast. I am guessing if its too cold then they will cancel practice, the associations do the SAME DARN thing. Nobody has even practiced at #3 and everyone is bashing it. This is MN hockey - live with it.

Hey gowild, you are really going wild all over the message board asking about where your kid should play asking about all of the programs but you already have your kid a MM. Are you thinking about leaving?

MM not disclosing the outdoor ice doesn't surprise me. Bad for sales. Some will like it, some won't. Will it have changed some people's minds? Probably. So why tell everyone up front and give people the "Choice" to say no to Choice.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Not telling the customers that there would be outdoor ice is kind of bush league. Whether you are individually ok with it is not really the point.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

If we all think back five years ago. The indoor ice hours was the selling point for him. :-k