Will Edina go undefeated at PWA (or AA) this year?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

Will Edina go undefeated at PWA (or AA) this year?

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

A fair question. I explain why they are so good and who might have a chance to knock them off.

http://youthhockeyhub.com

Enjoy,

TS
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

No.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:No.
:wink: :wink:
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Sure why not, we all know the egos are too big to make two even AA teams. :twisted:

Kudos to Wayzata for doing this last year I guess showing class isn't for everyone :wink:
Towelie

Post by Towelie »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:Sure why not, we all know the egos are too big to make two even AA teams. :twisted:

Kudos to Wayzata for doing this last year I guess showing class isn't for everyone :wink:
A lot of talk from Wayzata parents is that they wish there wasn't two even teams last year....seems to me they wouldn't mind being less classy.

Also, why in the heck would you want two even A teams? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the best kids playing together to help develop themselves? Whether you like it or not the difference between the top 15 skaters and the next 15 is quite huge. Split the top 30 up into two even teams and now you have maybe the top couple kids playing with the bottom two kids and that makes a big difference during practices etc.. The elite kids are playing for one thing...to win and be the best otherwise they wouldn't be playing. The only reason I can see why you would want them to have two even teams is so the rest of the competition has a chance and or so Dad and Mom can say my kid is on the AA team and not the A team.

You can also make a point that if you have two balanced AA teams...now you risk the potential for players 16-30 to miss out on playing time when maybe if they were on the A team they would have been one of the better players. Whether you agree with this or not...its a fact it would happen.
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

A few years ago the question was the same. I think Edina lost 3 of their first 5. They recovered and won at the end in convincing fashion, but I think it will be hard to run the table. Especially since they usually seek strong opponents.
Be kind. Rewind.
Larry Blackstone

Post by Larry Blackstone »

Yes.

With Minnesota Made and 1st Hockey located in their back yard, absolutely.

Look at the trainers at 1st Hockey:

Instructors
Karl Erickson
Kevin Ziegler
Shjon Podein
Cal Dietz
Bernie McBain

After all, "winners are made not born"
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Towel: Let's qualify your statement, "...alot of Wayzata parents [that think their superstar would be in the top 15 Pee-Wee's] wished they would have only had one A team last year so they could have tried to dominate the season and win State."

The rest of your post is utterly ridiculous. "the ELITE 1-15 kids are playing to win and be the best otherwise they wouldn't be playing... the scrub 16-30 players are just there for the jelly donuts and juice boxes..."
Towelie

Post by Towelie »

BadgerBob82 wrote:Towel: Let's qualify your statement, "...alot of Wayzata parents [that think their superstar would be in the top 15 Pee-Wee's] wished they would have only had one A team last year so they could have tried to dominate the season and win State."

The rest of your post is utterly ridiculous. "the ELITE 1-15 kids are playing to win and be the best otherwise they wouldn't be playing... the scrub 16-30 players are just there for the jelly donuts and juice boxes..."
Yes I would agree with you on the first statement...and why wouldn't they want that? In regards to your second comment about the jelly donuts and juice boxes....the truth hurts. Top player 1 doesn't want to be stuck playing with player 30 who may not have the same skill set as him. You ever watch a mixed practice or camp where a highly skilled player has to do a passing/skating drill with slower not as skilled player? Play slows down so the lesser skilled player can keep up. How is that beneficial? Again you need to understand "even in an association as deep as Edina) there is quite a gap between the top 15 and the top 30.
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

Towelie wrote:
BadgerBob82 wrote:Towel: Let's qualify your statement, "...alot of Wayzata parents [that think their superstar would be in the top 15 Pee-Wee's] wished they would have only had one A team last year so they could have tried to dominate the season and win State."

Yes I would agree with you on the first statement...and why wouldn't they want that? In regards to your second comment about the jelly donuts and juice boxes....the truth hurts. Top player 1 doesn't want to be stuck playing with player 30 who may not have the same skill set as him. You ever watch a mixed practice or camp where a highly skilled player has to do a passing/skating drill with slower not as skilled player? Play slows down so the lesser skilled player can keep up. How is that beneficial? Again you need to understand "even in an association as deep as Edina) there is quite a gap between the top 15 and the top 30.
I'm starting to hear that crap from players all too often. "Playing with players of lesser abilities is holding me back. I can't play with them because they aren't good enough." Then of course they lobby to get moved up, or moved out, where now they may be the lesser skilled player. How ironic is that? I just can't understand how the best player on every team in America isn't going backwards due to playing with inferior team mates. Gretzky should have continually gone backwards as a player, as there were certainly teammates that were not in his league. The reality is playing with players better than you, and worse than you, both have their development merits. Practicing with players that make bad passes will help develop the better player, etc.
Towelie

Post by Towelie »

SEcoach...i agree with you for most of your points... too bad this is how things have progressed and or developed. One could then argue why even have A, B and C levels? Why not just have 10 random teams for an association?
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Got a note today from an Edina PWA parent who thinks that Jeff Johnson (Head Coach) will throw a game in order to get their attention at some point in the season. I don't know why, he'd do that - but I thought it was relevant to this thread.

I suspect that the big bet I have with Freddie may be for naught. I say they go undefeated. Freddie says, "No way, no chance...too hard at this level in Minnesota..."

This team reminds me of the Jefferson PWA team in 2001 that won the state championship game 12-0. That team had Erik Johnson and Peter Mueller (plus 4 or 5 others that played D1 hockey).
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Wait ?!? :? He's going to "throw" a pee-wee hockey game ??? :shock:
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Right on SECoach!

Towel: Another point of view, on that top Edina or Wayzata team, the #7-9 forwards are darn good players for any association in the State, yet over the top coaches want to keep those top "elite" forwards on the ice as much as possible. So the lines are rolled 1-2-1-2-1-2-3. The 3rd line could be a #1-#2 powerplay unit on most teams in the State, yet they miss 6-10 minutes of each game watching the PP units. And don't kid yourself, #16-30 at Edina are not drill wreckers. As Wayzata found out last year at Pee-Wees, one team started stronger than the other. But both ended as top 15 teams. And they developed 4 PP units, 4 goalies, had 6 Captains, etc at the highest PW level in the toughest District in MN.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

old goalie85 wrote:Wait ?!? :? He's going to "throw" a pee-wee hockey game ??? :shock:
I think they can ban you from the pee-wee hall of fame for doing that.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

HockeyDad41 wrote:I think they can ban you from the pee-wee hall of fame for doing that.
With his track record, his spot's secure.
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Larry Blackstone wrote:Look at the trainers at 1st Hockey:

Instructors
Karl Erickson
Kevin Ziegler
Shjon Podein
Cal Dietz
Bernie McBain
:roll:
Be kind. Rewind.
BenDangle

Post by BenDangle »

BadgerBob82 wrote:Right on SECoach!

Towel: Another point of view, on that top Edina or Wayzata team, the #7-9 forwards are darn good players for any association in the State, yet over the top coaches want to keep those top "elite" forwards on the ice as much as possible. So the lines are rolled 1-2-1-2-1-2-3. The 3rd line could be a #1-#2 powerplay unit on most teams in the State, yet they miss 6-10 minutes of each game watching the PP units. And don't kid yourself, #16-30 at Edina are not drill wreckers. As Wayzata found out last year at Pee-Wees, one team started stronger than the other. But both ended as top 15 teams. And they developed 4 PP units, 4 goalies, had 6 Captains, etc at the highest PW level in the toughest District in MN.
Yep, that North Metro vs Armstrong game should be covered by FSN North. D3 is 2 deep. BB - plz recant "toughest Dsitrict in MN".
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Thank you Ben! My bad, keep thinking Wayzata is D6.
57special

Post by 57special »

no way they're undefeated.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Develop captains? That is a new one!
Survey

Post by Survey »

Mnhockeys wrote:

Develop captains? That is a new one!
Badgerbob - I was sort of on your side until the comment about 4 pp's, 4 goalies, the moronic captain statement and the kicker of stating Wayzata was in the toughest District. Anyone with even any sense of MN youth hockey knows D6 has and always will be the powerhouse for toughest District.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Sorry, should have said develop team leaders. Often times the better players are the captains and also the leaders on a team. Sorry you guys didn't understand the dynamics of a team. Again, apologize that I somehow forgot Wayzata is not in D6. We all know D6 is the best and that's why I always think Wayzata is in D6.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

How are the goalies at Edi this year?
Hockey guy1486

Post by Hockey guy1486 »

Who cares if they win every game this year!!! They will probably have some 20 goalies to choose from.