Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Hey bettman

SCOREBOARD!!!!!

That garbage Luverne squad just ended your mighty tigers, and their last chance to make it for a decade....
[/b]
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

I would also like to add that if Luverne had even the slightest bit of decent coaching their team would be very very good. If those kids knew how to play hockey there would be no question that they could easily put New Ulm away. They have decent depth and kids that actually work hard. But they are essentially a collection of 20 players that go on the ice and do whatever they want.

This is actually a callout to the Luverne coaching (new2coaching). What function do you serve? Do you guys run a breakout? Do you have a forecheck scheme, or alternate forcheck schemes based on the way your opponent plays or game situations? What do you guys practice when you are at practice? You obviously dont have a formal powerplay breakout, at least not when game day comes. You have no formal neutral zone regroup that i could see. I noticed that the players from luverne do like to set up behind the net on the power play and created a few chances, including one of their goals that way.

So they do have one scheme at least. Thats 1 more than Worthington i guess.

notTONIGHT, this is true.... and because of this I am truly embarassed that your luverne team came out and beat Marshall.
My favorite part about your reply is that I put a full post of true hockey knowledge and you come back with a smart reply.... Sir, you are probably twice my age. And although it may be hard for your ego to take, it is clear by your response that you are threatened that someone like me actually knows quite a bit more than you. So thank you for the compliment.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Bettman's Bender wrote:I would also like to add that if Luverne had even the slightest bit of decent coaching their team would be very very good. If those kids knew how to play hockey there would be no question that they could easily put New Ulm away. They have decent depth and kids that actually work hard. But they are essentially a collection of 20 players that go on the ice and do whatever they want.

This is actually a callout to the Luverne coaching (new2coaching). What function do you serve? Do you guys run a breakout? Do you have a forecheck scheme, or alternate forcheck schemes based on the way your opponent plays or game situations? What do you guys practice when you are at practice? You obviously dont have a formal powerplay breakout, at least not when game day comes. You have no formal neutral zone regroup that i could see. I noticed that the players from luverne do like to set up behind the net on the power play and created a few chances, including one of their goals that way.

notTONIGHT, this is true.... and because of this I am truly embarassed that your luverne team came out and beat Marshall.
My favorite part about your reply is that I put a full post of true hockey knowledge and you come back with a smart reply.... Sir, you are probably twice my age. And although it may be hard for your ego to take, it is clear by your response that you are threatened that someone like me actually knows quite a bit more than you. So thank you for the compliment.

I have no idea who you are, I dont care who you are. It starts and ends with your maniacal posts on here about Marshall being so vastly superior to Luverne. Your fodder about half side V's and erroneous accusations of who people are on here are all anyone needs to know about you. new2coaching is from windom. Do you lack the mental fortitude to process that.. his name is quite the opposite of what he actually is.. he is not new2coaching at all, in fact he coached in windom for 30 years. figure it out kid...

And no, im not twice your age
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

cellyhard01 wrote:Well considering 75% of people on here are from luverne there's not to many people to get respect from. Do you guys ever talk about anything other than respect?
Very few people here seem to be from Luverne. Most are simply making observations both from seeing games and from analyzing scores and see comments made to be unqualified. That's all.

It would be similar if people in a 2AA thread were saying a team like Burnsville would be lucky to get a top 4 seed.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Bettman's Bender wrote:I would also like to add that if Luverne had even the slightest bit of decent coaching their team would be very very good. If those kids knew how to play hockey there would be no question that they could easily put New Ulm away. They have decent depth and kids that actually work hard. But they are essentially a collection of 20 players that go on the ice and do whatever they want.

First of all to your previous post. What do you know about decent hockey? You make it sound like you played against it! And you didn't. You have watched it just like most people.

There is only one reason to put the puck on net, to score. No shot is a bad shot, but if you think you can score from anywhere you are pretty selfish. There are multipule reasons you don't dump it on net. If you skate out you know it can be difficult to have your back to the play and try and pick the puck off the boards and make a breakout pass with a guy putting pressure on you. There might be a reason :idea: the goalies in the NHL aren't allowed to go into the corners? That is because it is more difficult to get the puck out.

There is certain college that won a national championship a few years ago that only knew one forecheck. I believe the coach said something like "I would rather be good and one, than average at two forechecks". Just a nuget for your indepth coaching philosphies you shared. Luverne must be doing somethign right, they are winning games. According to you Luverne doesn't know how to play hockey, but they make it to the section championship? Marshall must have been shooting it into their own net.

The Luverne coach serves as a mentor. To help high school kids grow to be great adults, with structure, team work and dedication to something they love. Building hockey players is a biproduct.

If I were you I would be embarassed too, one for losing to such a poor team (thats what you tell us). For telling us Section3A hockey is a source of hockey knowledge, he has proven you wrong all by himself this year.
3A alum

Post by 3A alum »

Chalk_Talk wrote:

First of all to your previous post. What do you know about decent hockey? You make it sound like you played against it! And you didn't. You have watched it just like most people.

There is only one reason to put the puck on net, to score. No shot is a bad shot, but if you think you can score from anywhere you are pretty selfish. There are multipule reasons you don't dump it on net. If you skate out you know it can be difficult to have your back to the play and try and pick the puck off the boards and make a breakout pass with a guy putting pressure on you. There might be a reason :idea: the goalies in the NHL aren't allowed to go into the corners? That is because it is more difficult to get the puck out.

There is certain college that won a national championship a few years ago that only knew one forecheck. I believe the coach said something like "I would rather be good and one, than average at two forechecks". Just a nuget for your indepth coaching philosphies you shared. Luverne must be doing somethign right, they are winning games. According to you Luverne doesn't know how to play hockey, but they make it to the section championship? Marshall must have been shooting it into their own net.

The Luverne coach serves as a mentor. To help high school kids grow to be great adults, with structure, team work and dedication to something they love. Building hockey players is a biproduct.

If I were you I would be embarassed too, one for losing to such a poor team (thats what you tell us). For telling us Section3A hockey is a source of hockey knowledge, he has proven you wrong all by himself this year.
Where does bettman say he played against good hockey? all bettman's trying to say is that he tries to post hockey info on here, good stuff like schemes, styles of play, etc while the majority of the board posts how luvernes the best and have the best record and base their posts on points certain players have and team records. Bettman goes deeper, i enjoy reading his posts.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

Bettman what is your deal with Luverne and why do you think everyone on this forum is from Luverne? You continue to bash everyone that is involved in their program. From the players to the coaches. You say that you want Luverne to make it to state so they can see how "true hockey" is played. What does that even mean? All they've done this year is win. I think they've actually shown this section that they can play. My last rant is why do you think you know so much more than anyone else on here? Maybe you shouldn't be so ignorant. Good luck to both New Ulm and Luverne in the Section 3A Championship. It should be a great game!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

3A alum wrote:
Chalk_Talk wrote:

Where does bettman say he played against good hockey? all bettman's trying to say is that he tries to post hockey info on here, good stuff like schemes, styles of play, etc while the majority of the board posts how luvernes the best and have the best record and base their posts on points certain players have and team records. Bettman goes deeper, i enjoy reading his posts.
I think everyone would enjoy Bettmans insight if it wasnt so terribly slanted and pointed at players and teams he doesnt like. He makes a few decent points wrapped in such homer foolishness he loses all crediblility. Just like section3Ahockeyscout did..
fastncrash

Laughable

Post by fastncrash »

Very, Very Good? That would depend on what your guaging it against, I guess, or from your personal vantage point. I find it a bit humorous that your quoting Schemes and Tactics from PeeWee Hockey 101, (Read the CLIFF NOTES, eH?), and tossing foo at ANYONE, let alone someone's Coaching? I also have some questions regarding Luverne, but can tell you 3 things for sure:

1) Marshall is all out of Campion's who can make a difference in a game, and the ice looks a little thin in the very near future.
2) There is Rhyme and Reason for the way Luverne has played teams to this point, and I would expect some changes for Friday.
3) Both of the Coaches in Luverne have you covered in "Hockey Knowledge", and I KNOW neither of them are twice your age, Ouch!

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

bettman/campion

"marshall's #7 is probably the best pure passer puck moving defenseman in this section."
nothing but slap shots to bakers glove in the willmar game.

" #7 is asked to do too much because he is the only true strong player on his team" do the kids in marshall ever tire of hearing this stuff?
a couple of years ago you were saying the same type of thing about yourself. even after you got blown out by redwood.
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

timcorbin21 wrote:bettman/campion

"marshall's #7 is probably the best pure passer puck moving defenseman in this section."

" #7 is asked to do too much because he is the only true strong player on his team" do the kids in marshall ever tire of hearing this stuff?
a couple of years ago you were saying the same type of thing about yourself. even after you got blown out by redwood.
Never bragged about myself.. show me one post... I didnt have to.. Id brag about my team and make claims, get under skin. obviously. but not about myself ever.

What does a slap shot to the glove have to do with being a puck moving defenseman? You obviously dont know what that means.

One game. Redwood beat us. 2 years ago... how is that relevant?

If anybody wants to start talking hockey anytime soon that would be great... If not.. why dont we just start a new Topic Index called "Bettmans Bender" and just keep talking about me thats cool too. I can go all day either way. I have alot of cool stories and stuff, heck we could start a little autobiography section you all could put your input, itd be great
:D
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

Bettman's Bender wrote:
timcorbin21 wrote:bettman/campion

Never bragged about myself.. show me one post... I didnt have to.. Id brag about my team and make claims, get under skin. obviously. but not about myself ever.

What does a slap shot to the glove have to do with being a puck moving defenseman? You obviously dont know what that means.

One game. Redwood beat us. 2 years ago... how is that relevant?

If anybody wants to start talking hockey anytime soon that would be great... If not.. why dont we just start a new Topic Index called "Bettmans Bender" and just keep talking about me thats cool too. I can go all day either way. I have alot of cool stories and stuff, heck we could start a little autobiography section you all could put your input, itd be great
:D
Thought I would jump in on this...not too much regarding Marshall but 3A final as well.

Having seen Marshall play 3 times this year I believe they got a lot out of the team they had. They did not have any real offensive threats to speak of aside from maybe #11. It surprises me the attention Campion gets. I find him to be completely overrated. He has general ability but I was not impressed with his passing skills nor his ability to control the tempo or play based on his reputation. I don't like the fact that his favorite thing to do with the puck is dump it in from the neutral zone although he may be coached to do so...especially based on my previous point with a general lack of skill overall and especially with their forwards.

Moving on...I like the skill of Luverne players and they are going to be REALLY good next year. Having said that, because of their youth and lack of size they draw penalties because checking them is much like swatting flys. They are probably the cheapest team I saw play this year. They get away with a lot of stuff after the wistle and slash more than any team I saw....but somehow they don't get called much on either. Overall, while a really good team and one that might be considered the underdog....they just look and play like spoiled little kids.

NU. I think they will win versus Luverne because of their experience. I like the fact they are not cheap. Not sold on their goalie situation and that could prevent them from winning, but overall like their team best of the section.

Next year people will have to take notice of Luverne, and if this year didn't earn them respect then the pounding they will give out next year will. Will be an interesting 3A final.
draglax44

Post by draglax44 »

Bettman's Bender wrote:75% of ppl on here dont know diddly about hockey.

If you are going to dump it in, why not put it on goal. #7 knows how crummy the goalies are in this section. Especially when you can shoot hard. Ask litchs tendy about that. Kid got his cage rattled by a 150foot slapshot.

Marshall and hutchs passing and speed did not translate to enough goals to win games i will agree with that. They just dont have players that know how to score. That killer instinct, or quick release on a sick wrist shot. Either one. Neither team has.

marshall's #7 is probably the best pure passer puck moving defenseman in this section.. 3A scout, hutchtostate, and others who actually know hockey would agree. #7 is asked to do too much because he is the only true strong player on his team which is why he was asked to go create offense. Put him on a team with kids on his level and he is a stay at home puck moving defenseman with a high positive plus minus. "Nick Schultz" type defenseman.

Meyer is weak. Every goalie in this section is weak. Meyer goes into a glove side half-V save for every save he makes.. His hip flexibilty is lacking. Which means for any given save his first move of his bodies center of gravity pushes him down and toward his glove, which would make you think he might have a decent glove, but he really doesnt as he would have got beat on his glove side by a 8thgrade players wrist shot from the blue line if it were not for an alert defenseman and the first goal where he just straight up dropped it and left in the crease for Mikel to tap in. If you want to beat meyer look at his blocker and shoot directly at it. 80 of his saves he will naturally move his blocker out of the way just because he has taught his body to react that way first then react to the puck. Or just shoot at his glove as well that seemed to cause trouble. So basically... just shoot it.

The secret to beating any goalie in this section is just put the puck on goal... Anyone at attendance to those semi-final games would agree that there wasnt really a plethora of beautiful goals. Just pucks that got put on goal that just ended up in the net. Goal is a goal. Shoot. the. puck.

3 of luvernes goals just found the net. (1 nice move on a breakaway) = 4 goals.

Marshalls 3 goals came on garbage rebounds and a shot from a very sharp angle.

Brody Petersons game winner, just a shot from a sharp angle. finds the net.

I hope luverne makes it to state so they can finally see what true hockey is. So the parents on here can get a taste of real hockey for the first time in their lives so the 25% of ppl on this forum that actually know hockey dont have to make up for the 75% that are largely ignorant and only know what is played in Blue Mound Arena. It really is a great game of speed and elaborate passing that no one in that town knows the least of.
Are you sure you watched that game Bettman? Horvath's goal was a power play goal that was sharp angle shot on Meyer that went just over his glove. Garbage rebound?

Wenninger's was a quick shot over the blocker. He tried the same shot a couple minutes earlier and it went off the pipe. Skattum's was a quick one-timer from pretty pass behind the net.

Whatever team wins this section will have a hard time at state. Those kids will all will play their hearts out play their hearts out. Don't bash them because they have never had a chance to play state quality teams and gain experience in those games. A lot of the kids on these teams could probably make it on a team like Breck if they had the right coaching, and training, and money.

Stop going on benders and praise the kids for their accomplishments.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Bettman

I think your being a little harsh on the Tenders of this section. You are forgetting yes they all may have flaws but they are all only SOPHOMORES.

They will grow and get better. Just a side thought.

Leave #7 alone just because his brother is on here clearing just trying to get a rise out of people doesn't take away from his ability.

Bettman is marshall all the way. He knows his program blew a great chance on saturday... I would be bitter too.

However, young Campion will get better in the nets. Their top line of Horvath, Mikel, Zerr will return. I think Marshall still has a really solid club next year.

After that though even Bettman will admit things are looking not great in Tiger County.

Dont overlook them next year though...
feller

Post by feller »

draglax44

[ A lot of the kids on these teams could probably make it on a team like Breck if they had the right coaching, and training, and moneyquote]

Really??? And REAL Talent! Easily the MOST preposperous statement EVER made on this thread. Did you just say alot of the kids from Luverne could play for Breck? In what world do you live?

NOT one kid in this section could play for Breck. Does anyone out in this part of the state know what a really good hockey player is? If anyone thinks Peterson is the best in the section, and he may be, maybe not. He wouldn't sniff the 3rd line at Breck. No forechecking or backchecking, no hustle.

The above quote states "alot" really? Please name all the kids in this section that could play for Breck. No goalie, no defensemen (Banal, no, can't really plan defense).

This thread has actually gotten more and more ridiculus lately. Luverne has had a good section 3A year, in a year that 3A is obviously way down. Hutch .. Down, NU... way down, Litch .... way way down, Marshall ..maybe even with last year. Luverne obvoiusly up, Windom ...up everyone else... who cares. Luvernes timing is good, they have a good shot at State because they are better than in the past and this Section is leaving the door wide open.

Good luck to both Luverne and NU. In a way I hope Luverne makes it, then maybe the state will end this experiment and put a few more teams with quality hockey programs in the section to better balance things out.[/quote]
Joker77

Post by Joker77 »

Wow this forum is getting ridiculous. There is no need to bash anyone on this forum.

Obviously one or two good players can not win a game. I takes a team to do that. New Ulm showed that on saturday. The first line was flat and the second line stepped it up and scored the goals. Then, Peterson was clutch in OT. Good teams will find ways to win even when they are not playing at the top of their game. Take away any one player from NU on saturday and they might not have won the game. Sure some players stand out more than others, but put one player from Breck, for example, on a team in section 3A and I can guarantee you that that player would not be nearly as good as he was on Breck. According to the hub and previous forum threads, Both Petersons from NU and Banal are the only players to play in the fall elite league WITH players from big schools like Hermantown, Breck, Cretin, and BSM. Brody and Banal have played for the last 3 seasons too, and according to their stats they have appeared to hold their own. They both have played twice in the NAHL Showcase Prospects Tournaments as well. Cowger has been involved in the Advanced program as well. To say that there are NO players in section 3A that would touch the ice on a team like Breck is wrong in my opinion.

Now, about the game on friday. The best TEAM will win in my opinion. Anything can happen in playoffs. It will come down to who shows up to play, and who plays the most complete game obviously on both ends of the ice.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

I am as big of a 3A homer that exists....there is not one kid from this section who would make a difference on breck. There may be a few kids who could make the squad. Cowger/ Peterson/ Maxwell/Campion(with a hell of a tryout) other than that... its no secret...this section will get crushed at the x. New Ulm got smashed the last 2 years. Nothing will change this year. However, every team in the section will do everything they can to get there next year, and that is the beauty of the state of hockey!
draglax44

Post by draglax44 »

feller wrote:draglax44

[ A lot of the kids on these teams could probably make it on a team like Breck if they had the right coaching, and training, and moneyquote]

Really??? And REAL Talent! Easily the MOST preposperous statement EVER made on this thread. Did you just say alot of the kids from Luverne could play for Breck? In what world do you live?

NOT one kid in this section could play for Breck. Does anyone out in this part of the state know what a really good hockey player is? If anyone thinks Peterson is the best in the section, and he may be, maybe not. He wouldn't sniff the 3rd line at Breck. No forechecking or backchecking, no hustle.

The above quote states "alot" really? Please name all the kids in this section that could play for Breck. No goalie, no defensemen (Banal, no, can't really plan defense).

This thread has actually gotten more and more ridiculus lately. Luverne has had a good section 3A year, in a year that 3A is obviously way down. Hutch .. Down, NU... way down, Litch .... way way down, Marshall ..maybe even with last year. Luverne obvoiusly up, Windom ...up everyone else... who cares. Luvernes timing is good, they have a good shot at State because they are better than in the past and this Section is leaving the door wide open.

Good luck to both Luverne and NU. In a way I hope Luverne makes it, then maybe the state will end this experiment and put a few more teams with quality hockey programs in the section to better balance things out.
[/quote]

Wow! I'm guessing the kids Breck have had a lot more "coaching, training, and money" under their belts. Add competition, summer ice, and schools that are more commited to hockey to that as well. If the kids in this section played teams in the cities and Northern Minnesota their whole lives they would have a lot of experience that they never got playing down in Southwest Minnesota.

What I do know is that these kids love to play hockey and that the section will get better with time.
h20

Post by h20 »

Cant play at Breck ,probably not, Breck wont pay the lodging expense for them as they did with the foreign exchange guys the had a few years. Now you have to have a family put you up like the Alexandria kids a few years ago Maybe if the have cousins in the area they would get a shot or If the Price was right Im sure they could play at BRECK
p_cku

Post by p_cku »

h20 wrote:Cant play at Breck ,probably not, Breck wont pay the lodging expense for them as they did with the foreign exchange guys the had a few years. Now you have to have a family put you up like the Alexandria kids a few years ago Maybe if the have cousins in the area they would get a shot or If the Price was right Im sure they could play at BRECK

Excellent Point.

Section 3A is not full of All-Star Teams A.K.A. Private Schools. It is full of teams and young men working hard to become the best they can be. Which is what high Schools sports is suppose to be all about.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

The day has finally come. What are everyones predictions for tonights game? Don't really care for anyone's explanations just scores. Heres mine.

Luverne 5 New Ulm 3
Sheetice

Post by Sheetice »

New Ulm 6 Luverne 3
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

KNUJ is streaming coverage of the game for anyone interested.
Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask »

Similar Opponents last month of the season

St. Peter-
Luverne won 3-2
NU won 3-2

Marshall-
Luverne won 4-3
NU won 6-3

LCD-
Luverne won 8-1
NU won 4-1

Should be a close one, too close to call.
Kraus vs. Meyer...soph. vs. soph.

flip a coin
Gino87

Post by Gino87 »

What the game will come down to tonight is how much Peterson, Banal and Kraus can do for NU and what Maxwell, Wenniger, and Meyer can do for Luverne. My guess 5-3 NU