State Tournament Memories

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Thirsty Whale

State Tournament Memories

Post by The Thirsty Whale »

Just a thread to reminisce or talk about fun state tournament memories.

My first state tournament memories were watching the games on tv after school in elementary school and never being able to finish the nightcap game cause it'd get too late. I remember watching the Hastings teams that qualified year after year. Welch and Taffe, boy could those guys skate. I also remember watching Fergus Falls in Single A several years in a row.

Truly a great tournament that showcases great high school hockey.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Most of my state tournament memories were the years of Eden Prairie futility when they made it, often at the hands of those damn Jaguars. The Greenway loss was painful too. Then two years ago...man that was awesome. Just hope we can do it again.
EP two out of three.
The Thirsty Whale

Can't believe within ten years Greenway went from a 3rd place finish at the Class AA Tournament to what they are right now. Wish they could still compete, cause it was fun to watch the David vs. Goliath when they took down the mighty EP Eagles that year.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

The Thirsty Whale wrote:Can't believe within ten years Greenway went from a 3rd place finish at the Class AA Tournament to what they are right now. Wish they could still compete, cause it was fun to watch the David vs. Goliath when they took down the mighty EP Eagles that year.
I think it's good for the current team that Lee Smith was at the helm back then. No way he lets a first round omg shocker upset happen again after that.
EP two out of three.
Saintpaulhockey1

Post by Saintpaulhockey1 »

My best memory is having some CakeEater high school girl sit in my lap during the tourney. Our high school seats were in their section and I took the overflow.......too bad I was too young to understand how to work my "tools" then. I was in love.
zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 »

1985- staying up to watch 'Tonka vs Jefferson, only to be disappointed that the game had to be finished the next day (I actually own the 'Tonka starting goalie's jersey from that game.)

1990- first beating Hopkins in the section semi final (I attended a private school in Hopkins, so I got to rub it into peoples faces,) 2nd beating Edina to finally make it to state (after being told by those Hopkins kids how Edina would beat 'Tonka,) 3rd beating Burnsville (after being told AGAIN how Burns would beat 'Tonka) but sadly losing to Roseau in the semi-finals.

1994- beating Wayzata in the section final (my girlfriend at the time went to Wayzata) but then facing a "upcoming" Duluth East team with a kid by the name of Dave Spehar

'97 and '98- my father sending VHS tapes overnight to me in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin each day's games of both A and AA hockey tournaments.

2010- HM vs 'Tonka... almost dove into my TV when 'Tonka scored (my wife LOVES to show people that video clip.)

of course sprinkle in the years of watching every year since the early 80s during the night games, listening to the morning games on the radio (walkman) and coming on Saturday... my first time going to a state final game (brother-in-law got some tickets.)
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Spehar's 3 straight hat tricks will forever be in my favorite memories.

When I was just a kid, my father and I were on Mille Lacs ice fishing and watching the state tourney.

All I can remember is seeing the same player scoring time after time after time again.

Fishing and watching hockey; one of my favorite childhood memories.

8)
The Puck
LGW
Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Saintpaulhockey1 wrote:My best memory is having some CakeEater high school girl sit in my lap during the tourney. Our high school seats were in their section and I took the overflow.......too bad I was too young to understand how to work my "tools" then. I was in love.
Yeah. I have a lot of of those kinda regrets, too :lol:

I remember that my elementary school was actually really cool. They used to bring all 3 classes into one room where they would have a tv setup with the tournament on. Classic stuff. Nowadays a lot of kids would probably get upset and ask "why are we watching this?" But back then it was almost like all the kids "just knew" that the tournament was a big deal in the state of Minnesota. *Shakes fist* Must be the darned parenting nowadays! lol
Last edited by Weekend_Warrior on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Having to take a shower after talking to Wes while he was eating popcorn. Think it was about 2003.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

1986 - Lost to SSP in the finals - got our tickets and room at the Radison. Our seats were down in the corner and we started our own little George Pelawa Fan Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDDnOUKDQI

http://www.tomcochrane.info/songstory/bigleague.php
Just_Another_Fan

Post by Just_Another_Fan »

Weekend_Warrior wrote:
Saintpaulhockey1 wrote:My best memory is having some CakeEater high school girl sit in my lap during the tourney. Our high school seats were in their section and I took the overflow.......too bad I was too young to understand how to work my "tools" then. I was in love.

I remember that my elementary school was actually really cool. They used to bring all 3 glasses into one room where they would have a tv setup with the tournament on. Classic stuff. Nowadays a lot of kids would probably get upset and ask "why are we watching this?" But back then it was almost like all the kids "just knew" that the tournament was a big deal in the state of Minnesota. *Shakes fist* Must be the darned parenting nowadays! lol
They still do that! My mother is a teacher, and not the biggest hockey fan in the state, but every year she lets the kids watch the game in her classroom. On mute of course. I can't remember a time in my elementary/junior high/high school career where my educators DIDN'T let us kids watch the game. To me, that is what makes the state hockey tournament so special and like nothing else in the great state of Minnesota.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

mulefarm wrote:Having to take a shower after talking to Wes while he was eating popcorn. Think it was about 2003.
:lol: :lol: Is Wes here on the forum? :lol:
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

8-1 8)

1993- Got chicken pox the week of the hockey tourney. Got to watch one of the greatest teams ever steamroll through.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

First memories:

Watching Mike Antonovich and the Greenway Raiders in '68. Mpls Southwest beating Edina in overtime two years later to win it all.

Drunkest memory:

The Lecy brothers and John Marshall in 1977. Last I remember was Scott (?) doing his dance after his open net goal closed the door on Edina.

Giddiest memory:

Spe with three hat tricks. Lou, etc talking about Jefferson's three-peat and their chances for a four-peat. After the first period, that talk was over. :)

His penalty shot against Moorhead is etched in my memory forever.

--Of course, East-Apple Valley in 1996.

--Sicker than a dog, wife ready to put me in the hospital, coming to now and then to watch a little bit of the 1998 Class A quarterfinals. Well enough two days later to jump up and down when Ozzie beat Jefferson in overtime to send East back to the title game.

--Denfeld representing the Duluth area very well in 1986, taking third place. It was the best a Duluth team had done since 1961. Despite the rivalry, cheered for them (almost) like they were East.

--And every other year.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
HSS

Post by HSS »

So many great memories:

Kindergarten every class had the games on. I remember watching Edina win a game. I thought the white and green was so cool!

When I got a bit older my parents would let me skip school to watch the games. Some years my classmates/teammates would get together and have floor hockey tournaments!

Then in high school the Spuds started going to the tournament so I made my first trips to the civic. Great times painting faces, chests, acting like an idiot. Even got interviewed during one of the games because I had shaved my head and painted it orange!

Now I still take work off the years Moorhead doesn't go and watch as many games as my family can tolerate. When Moorhead goes I love broadcasting from the X. They take such good care of you with free food and drinks! The one downside is you are so far away from the atmosphere you don't really feel like a part of it. But still a great time!
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

east hockey wrote:Giddiest memory:

Spe with three hat tricks. Lou, etc talking about Jefferson's three-peat and their chances for a four-peat. After the first period, that talk was over. :)

Lee, did you know Spe (the older and wiser Spe) is embarrassed for doing that celebration move after his goal? :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

PuckU126 wrote:
east hockey wrote:Giddiest memory:

Lee, did you know Spe (the older and wiser Spe) is embarrassed for doing that celebration move after his goal? :lol:

8)
Yep, sure did. Kids do some things on impulse they later wish they hadn't.

Well, adults too :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

TJ Oshie to Aaron Marvin in OT to win the Class A title over Totino-Grace, and the Burnsville comeback on Rapids in the '07 semi's, then Rapids won it in OT
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

east hockey wrote:First memories:

Drunkest memory:

The Lecy brothers and John Marshall in 1977. Last I remember was Scott (?) doing his dance after his open net goal closed the door on Edina.

Lee
Must have been the alcohol, as that was Todd, doing his running dance... :lol: No worries, I too have had some tournaments where I spent too much time at McGovern's, and don't remember much... :wink:

That was a great memory for me as well, growing up in southern Minnesota and playing hockey against that JM team & those players from peewees through HS...

Civic's clear boards were classic, bought the Fogarty print saluting the Civic...

Mom & Dad letting me stay at home from school, from 8 until I was 13, then Dad & I started going together, and have made every Tourney for 36 years now...

Before going to the State tourney with Dad, they would let me invite 4 or 5 buddies to watch the games and play hand hockey with a plastic practice golf ball until late in the evening, playing our own makeshift state tournament... Mom didn't like it much, we trashed the TV room area... :D

Earliest I remember was watching Boucha vs. Edina...

Apple Valley/East OT game was incredible, and has to be a top memory for all of us longtime fans... 8)

Always wanting the David vs Goliath games, which always included the Northern team coming down to play the metro powerhouse... Like Roseau/Edina (Broten/Lauen example) matchups...

Fun stuff to remember guys... Nice topic... :D
SEMinnyHCKY

Post by SEMinnyHCKY »

So many memories. My dad started taking me to the Saturday afternoon session when I was 8 years old to watch the consolation and 3rd place games. The earliest memory I have was a crazy Roseau - Burnsville consolation game that Roseau won 9-8 in ot.

The next year my Hastings Raiders made it with Stepan and Sagissor. Got pummelled by Anoka 11-5. I got to skip school for the first time that year and have gone to all three days ever since except for when I was at college. In middle school my dad would drop off my friends and I in St. Paul at noon and a buddies parent would pick us up at night. I WOULD NEVER allow my kids to do that now! Then in high school my buds and I would go up on our own, thinking we were sweet with our letter jackets because we always saw other high school kids in theirs when we were little guys! (of course, our team never made it!) My senior year of high school was '91 - the last year of one class.

Now I still skip school to go but as a teacher instead of a student! Arguably the best three days of the year. My dad and I always go on Thursday and he's nice enough to give me his Friday and Saturday night games.

Best games I remember: Of course the East - AV game, Edina -Warroad 2-1 OT game when Olimb never left the ice and I wanted Warroad to win so bad! I always cheered for the small town northern teams and still do, especially Grand Rapids and Roseau.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Sophomore year. 95. Spe with the triple hat tricks

Junior year 96 - east/ apple valley 5 OT game

Senior year 97 - losing to Edina 1-0. And thinking to myself what a nerd jeff hall was , and how we could not score on this goof
underthenbar01

Post by underthenbar01 »

Weekend_Warrior wrote:

I remember that my elementary school was actually really cool. They used to bring all 3 glasses into one room where they would have a tv setup with the tournament on. Classic stuff. Nowadays a lot of kids would probably get upset and ask "why are we watching this?" But back then it was almost like all the kids "just knew" that the tournament was a big deal in the state of Minnesota. *Shakes fist* Must be the darned parenting nowadays! lol

We did the same thing! My other strongest memories are all those Moorhead runner ups :cry:
Remember to use spell check!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Couldn't help but notice that nobody's posted a Tier II Tourney memory so far. :wink:
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

There are so many memories, it is hard to find the best ones. I will list my top 5.

Number 5A - 2005 Class A Championship game. 2 Overtime thriller with Warroad capturing the title on a pretty face-off goal by Marvin from Oshie.
Number 5B - Watching Grand Rapids back in the tourney in 2006 for the first time in 16 years. Seeing the throwback Halloween Machine jerseys and what felt like the whole town of Grand Rapids cheering for the Indians (Thunderhawks) was incredible. Plus, the Rapids pep band is the best in the state.
Number 4 - 1994 Tournament. My first tournament on my own. Watching one of the greatest teams in MN High School history win their third championship in a row.
Number 3 - 1987 Quarters. My first tournament. Sitting with my Dad watching Small schools like Warroad and Greenway coming down to the twin cities and beating up on Hill Murray and Edina
Number 2 - Jefferson fans showing up in the 95 quarters vs East wearing t-shirts that read "Jefferson Hockey! Any Questions?". Following East knocking off the mighty Jaguars, their fans showed up the next game sporting shirts that read "East 5 - Jefferson 0! Any Questions?"
Number 1 - Apple Valley over Duluth East 5 OT. Need I say more?
The Thirsty Whale

That 2005 Class A Title game was one for the ages. The North-South, Public-Private rivalry between Warroad and Totino Grace. Just great hockey that day. I remember Marvin with the game winning goal and the Warroad fans erupted. In my opinion I think it could be argued that both of those teams could have qualified for the AA Tournament that year (no disrespect to the teams in it that year, just a testament to how strong TG and Warroad were)