16's in New York

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gmoola89

16's in New York

Post by gmoola89 »

Anyone know how it is going for all of those from MN that made the national team and are in New York? Who is looking good (or bad?)

-Just looking for some feedback-

Thanks.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Do parents go to this event? Or, just scouts? Combination thereof?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

breakout wrote:Do parents go to this event? Or, just scouts? Combination thereof?
Definately, a combination thereof! 8)
Teddy Dangles

16's

Post by Teddy Dangles »

From a very reliable source, LF's Berglund broke his arm yesterday on a very big hit into the boards. He is a very good player and hopefully it isn't too serious to keep him out from any regular season action for the Flyers.
boblee

post 8076

Post by boblee »

Teddy Dangles wrote:From a very reliable source, LF's Berglund broke his arm yesterday on a very big hit into the boards. He is a very good player and hopefully it isn't too serious to keep him out from any regular season action for the Flyers.
Do you know who hit him? And that is really a tough break for the young man.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
Stealth

Berglund

Post by Stealth »

I wonder if he got clocked doing his spin-o-rama move at the Blue line? He always turns towards the boards and maybe somebody read it this time?

Speedy recovery.
breakout

Re: 16's

Post by breakout »

Teddy Dangles wrote:From a very reliable source, LF's Berglund broke his arm yesterday on a very big hit into the boards. He is a very good player and hopefully it isn't too serious to keep him out from any regular season action for the Flyers.
Tough to go all the way out there and have that happen. Hopefully, he doesn't need surgery. Wish him a speedy recovery.
Teddy Dangles

berglund

Post by Teddy Dangles »

Well apparently that reliable source wasn't too reliable. He was hit by some big forward from Belle Tire in the first game. He didn't sustain a broken arm but he does have a concussion. I hope he is alright and can possiblly play later in the week.
Nominnhkywatcher

Post by Nominnhkywatcher »

Some of the names
that appear on this board after 3 games

Ryan walters 4 goals 1 assit 5 pts and Nate Schmidt 4 pts are putting up some good numbers Buddish 3 pts Zepeda and Gaarder each have a pt. Nick Oliver has yet to mark a point. Must be some good players out in New York
hockeyguy99

Post by hockeyguy99 »

I've heard from a few very reliable sources that the speed is very similar to Model Camp.
breakout

Post by breakout »

hockeyguy99 wrote:I've heard from a few very reliable sources that the speed is very similar to Model Camp.
Does that mean the speed is good...........bad.........what?
breakout

Post by breakout »

Nominnhkywatcher wrote:Some of the names
that appear on this board after 3 games

Ryan walters 4 goals 1 assit 5 pts and Nate Schmidt 4 pts are putting up some good numbers Buddish 3 pts Zepeda and Gaarder each have a pt. Nick Oliver has yet to mark a point. Must be some good players out in New York
Those kids in New York are suppose to be some of the top 16s in the nation. I have to imagine the talent is good.

Keep in mind, points aren't everything. Especially in a format like that. Some teams will be better than others. Some teams have kids that won't distribute rubber to teammates, even when teammates are wide open. Some teams may have instant chemistry. Some teams may not gell because of inconsistent chemistry.

If a kid has 4 goals, he may not have moved the puck much. He might not have seen the defensive side of the blue line much either.

A D man may have a lot of points, but could be leaving his partner high and dry trying to show that he is an offensive D.

Also, plus/minus should be a stat that is noted. That is one of the most un-recongnized stats in youth hockey. Yet, it is one of the most important.

My guess is that kids will be judged on their hockey abilities and hockey sense.
hockeyguy99

Post by hockeyguy99 »

I don't know if the speed is good or bad, but my source just said the speed was similar to Model Camp. I wish I could have watched either or them though.
Jans22

model camp

Post by Jans22 »

the speed at model camp was terrible. it seemed to be nothing more than a lousy spring league out there. i hope the speed in new york was a heck of a lot better than at model camp.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Is it true that some kids who played in Rochester are being asked to play for USA in the Czech Republic later this summer? I checked the USA Hockey website and didn't see information about that.
Observer85

Post by Observer85 »

breakout wrote:Is it true that some kids who played in Rochester are being asked to play for USA in the Czech Republic later this summer? I checked the USA Hockey website and didn't see information about that.
The 16's (in Rochester, NY) and 17's (in St Cloud) pick kids that are not going to be in the National program and send them each to a tournament in Europe. Both at different times I believe.

The idea is to give some of these kids a chance at more exposure (on an international stage). But mostly it is a waste of USA Hockey's money (the money we pay in every year in annual dues) as these teams don't really practice together much and go compete against countries that do.
hipcheck

what?

Post by hipcheck »

USA Hockey waste(our) $$$$$$!

Thats all they do for the most part, but then that would have to be under another topic!
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

breakout wrote:Is it true that some kids who played in Rochester are being asked to play for USA in the Czech Republic later this summer? I checked the USA Hockey website and didn't see information about that.
From what I hear, six players from the 16s from MN will be heading to Europe for the tournament you are thinking of.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Observer85 wrote:The 16's (in Rochester, NY) and 17's (in St Cloud) pick kids that are not going to be in the National program and send them each to a tournament in Europe. Both at different times I believe.
There are exceptions where they will allow a kid who will be playing in the NTDP to travel for this tournament. Usually they are the guys who accept an invite later than most of the others. For instance, Mike Hoeffel played last summer for the u18 squad that went over to Europe and this was after he had accepted an invite to play for the NTDP u18 team.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Thanks for the updates.
boblee

post 8090

Post by boblee »

Sounds like solid hockey to me.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Gopher Blog wrote:
From what I hear, six players from the 16s from MN will be heading to Europe for the tournament you are thinking of.
I know five of them (all of whom scored 3 or more points), do you have all six names? I'm guessing maybe one of the kids that scored five goals?
Gopher Blog wrote:There are exceptions where they will allow a kid who will be playing in the NTDP to travel for this tournament. Usually they are the guys who accept an invite later than most of the others. For instance, Mike Hoeffel played last summer for the u18 squad that went over to Europe and this was after he had accepted an invite to play for the NTDP u18 team.
There's a rumor that one of the Minnesota kids that originally tried out for the NTDP is going to get a second look after having a good camp. It's a guy who probably wouldn't turn down the invite either (that should be a fairly solid clue). Have you heard anything about this?
breakout

Post by breakout »

How do you know five of the six? Where is the information? It is not on USA Hockey website.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

The Exiled One wrote:There's a rumor that one of the Minnesota kids that originally tried out for the NTDP is going to get a second look after having a good camp. It's a guy who probably wouldn't turn down the invite either (that should be a fairly solid clue). Have you heard anything about this?
They are telling him early this week whether he gets an invite or not. Could get called on it today.