U15

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

zambonidriver, the best 8th graders? Where does it say anything about 8th graders or individuals for that matter other than naming the roster? Did you read the whole thing or just the headline? Because, for the record, we have 8th graders, 7th graders, and even a 6th grader. So even if it did say something about the best 8th graders that would have been highly inaccurate. We have the best 02 birth year 8th graders. Is that what you meant? Because there are a lot of 01 birth year 8th graders that are very good that are not on our team. But seeing as we are on 02 team we don't have any 01s or else they would probably be on it, too.

We made the move for the same reason most, if not all, talented female hockey players eventually end up at Os. Same reason you are there, ZD. To leverage the Os network. This is good for Winny's business and good for our team. It is a win-win. Those are always the best situations.

The success of this team, especially the last year, comes down to coaching and the talent of the girls. Not what jersey the girls wear. The coaching staff will remain the same. The roster will remain the same, for the most part. The skill development will remain the same. Nothing will change other than the name on the front of the jersey. Oh, and the fact we added some really talented girls. Call the team Machine, OS, ABC Hockey Club. It doesn't matter.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Hockey Dude, I just think it is ironic that you guys are moving. Your record was definitely impressive all those tournament wins against u-12 teams.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

HockeyDude20 wrote:zambonidriver, the best 8th graders? Where does it say anything about 8th graders or individuals for that matter other than naming the roster? Did you read the whole thing or just the headline? Because, for the record, we have 8th graders, 7th graders, and even a 6th grader. So even if it did say something about the best 8th graders that would have been highly inaccurate. We have the best 02 birth year 8th graders. Is that what you meant? Because there are a lot of 01 birth year 8th graders that are very good that are not on our team. But seeing as we are on 02 team we don't have any 01s or else they would probably be on it, too.

We made the move for the same reason most, if not all, talented female hockey players eventually end up at Os. Same reason you are there, ZD. To leverage the Os network. This is good for Winny's business and good for our team. It is a win-win. Those are always the best situations.

The success of this team, especially the last year, comes down to coaching and the talent of the girls. Not what jersey the girls wear. The coaching staff will remain the same. The roster will remain the same, for the most part. The skill development will remain the same. Nothing will change other than the name on the front of the jersey. Oh, and the fact we added some really talented girls. Call the team Machine, OS, ABC Hockey Club. It doesn't matter.
I don't think there is any question this is the best group of 02's in MN, is there? I think that title has been locked up at this point. They smoke the Blades and OS doesn't have an O2 team (they do now).
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

zambonidriver, ironic?! I don't see any irony in the move at all. Have I ever said ANYTHING negative about Os? Ever? Is the move contrary to anything that I have ever expressed? Ummmm. No. So therefore there can not be any irony. The reason for the move is a legitimate one. We made the move for the EXACT same reason YOU are there.

ZD, has your daughter's team ever played the Sask Growwwl? Has your daughter's team ever played the Toronto Wizards? The two best 02 teams in Canada. No? Okay, then don't pass judgement on the 12U tournaments we won AND didn't win for that matter. So judgemental! We did lose a 12U tournament, you know? The NAPS tourney in OT. There's some ammunition for you. Go to town with that. You are familiar with the West Coast Selects team, though right? The one with Josie Dunn, Abby Murphy, and Clara Van Wieren to name a few. Yeah, the girls beat that 12U team twice in two meetings. We were 2-1 vs the VERY best 02 competition in Canada. We also won the top division 14U level at the International Cup.

And the girls are now known as the 02 Os Elite. Doesn't that just chap your hide?
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

zambonidriver wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Why are they moving to OS if the program is so great?
It didn't read as a promotion of the Made or Machine, but of the individual team and why this group is successful.

It was a solid move for the team. It was a win win for both OS and the players. It was wise for OS to send the invite.

Why did you leave the Blades for IC and then IC for OS? Or WBL for St. Paul and then St. Paul for FL. How long will you be at FL? Will it be until you find out the net will be shared or it won't be your daughters at all? Will you go back to seeking out private schools? My bet is that it will be where ever the grass looks greener?
Why did you go to Andover? Btw How is CI? Moving next year?
My questions were mostly rhetorical - I certainly wasn't expecting an answer. There were probably many reasons you left each of these programs and there will probably be many reasons when and if you ever leave FL. I presented the questions to show you how hypocritical it was to even post the question, even though it had nothing to do with the article.

I think in many other posts, you've answered the question you asked above. You have expressed on many occasions how great the OS program is and how they do an excellent job of promoting girls hockey.

There are definitely differences between OS and Machine. However, both are very good programs. Like I said, it was a very smart move for the 02 team and it was smart for OS to send the invite.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

HockeyDude20 wrote:zambonidriver, ironic?! I don't see any irony in the move at all. Have I ever said ANYTHING negative about Os? Ever? Is the move contrary to anything that I have ever expressed? Ummmm. No. So therefore there can not be any irony. The reason for the move is a legitimate one. We made the move for the EXACT same reason YOU are there.

ZD, has your daughter's team ever played the Sask Growwwl? Has your daughter's team ever played the Toronto Wizards? The two best 02 teams in Canada. No? Okay, then don't pass judgement on the 12U tournaments we won AND didn't win for that matter. So judgemental! We did lose a 12U tournament, you know? The NAPS tourney in OT. There's some ammunition for you. Go to town with that. You are familiar with the West Coast Selects team, though right? The one with Josie Dunn, Abby Murphy, and Clara Van Wieren to name a few. Yeah, the girls beat that 12U team twice in two meetings. We were 2-1 vs the VERY best 02 competition in Canada. We also won the top division 14U level at the International Cup.

And the girls are now known as the 02 Os Elite. Doesn't that just chap your hide?
Not really, why so defensive? It must be true your kids are the best because it is on the internet Bonjour.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

zambonidriver wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:zambonidriver, ironic?! I don't see any irony in the move at all. Have I ever said ANYTHING negative about Os? Ever? Is the move contrary to anything that I have ever expressed? Ummmm. No. So therefore there can not be any irony. The reason for the move is a legitimate one. We made the move for the EXACT same reason YOU are there.

Not really, why so defensive? It must be true your kids are the best because it is on the internet Bonjour.
The article was written by a guy that had no affiliation with the 02 Machine or OS. He was invited to run a scoring/shooting clinic for the team. He observed a practice or two and shared his opinions in an article.

ZD, I understand why you are not happy about the OS move. However, look on the bright side, we will all be under the same umbrella starting in April and we will get to see each other on a daily bases!!!

I do however understand how frustrating it is going to be for you. You know, not being able to jump on the forum and talk negatively about a group of 14 year olds or their parents, because you know, they are in same program as your daughter and it would then appear like you are trashing the program.

Now, can you confirm this for me? Am I to understand that if you received an invite from OS (Winnie) to play on this 02 OS team, whether it is for a game, a tournament or whatever, that you would decline?
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I would be interested in hearing about the new girls joining the 02 Machine --> O/S Selects team. Are they from other O/S teams? Undoubtedly that team will continue from strength to strength.

Like Northwoods said, most top-level girls find their way to O/S starting at U14. I think the Machine has hurt itself a bit by not catering more to the girls the way O/S and Miracle Gold has. My understanding is the Machine only has multiple girls teams of high quality at the 03 and 06 levels, and, how do we know yet at 06?
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

ZD...like you said, if it's on the internet it must be true. I am going to recycle this one because it entertains me...

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32217[/quote]
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

jg2112, we have added a girl from Buffalo, and girl from STMA, and one from Edina.

The boys side at MN Made is the priority. With that being said, there have been many great girls teams come through the Machine program. The problem for Girls Machine and all other clubs that compete with Os is that they do not have the network and infrastructure in place to compete with Os. Os has that locked down. And for girls, families, and whole teams it is just easier to plug and play rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:

The article was written by a guy that had no affiliation with the 02 Machine or OS. He was invited to run a scoring/shooting clinic for the team. He observed a practice or two and shared his opinions in an article.

ZD, I understand why you are not happy about the OS move. However, look on the bright side, we will all be under the same umbrella starting in April and we will get to see each other on a daily bases!!!

I do however understand how frustrating it is going to be for you. You know, not being able to jump on the forum and talk negatively about a group of 14 year olds or their parents, because you know, they are in same program as your daughter and it would then appear like you are trashing the program.

Now, can you confirm this for me? Am I to understand that if you received an invite from OS (Winnie) to play on this 02 OS team, whether it is for a game, a tournament or whatever, that you would decline?
first of all I am an equal opportunity basher second it remains to be seen if you can handle the way OS does things my guess is not. Third whether my daughter accepts or declines is up to her. I know this from her her experience in Europe my guess is she would decline. Because she idolizes the ground Winny walks on she might. She has her team.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

HockeyDude20 wrote:jg2112, we have added a girl from Buffalo, and girl from STMA, and one from Edina.

The boys side at MN Made is the priority. With that being said, there have been many great girls teams come through the Machine program. The problem for Girls Machine and all other clubs that compete with Os is that they do not have the network and infrastructure in place to compete with Os. Os has that locked down. And for girls, families, and whole teams it is just easier to plug and play rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.
So if I am to understand you correctly it is not about the way Os does things but about the network...explain?
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

HockeyDude20 wrote:ZD...like you said, if it's on the internet it must be true. I am going to recycle this one because it entertains me...

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32217
[/quote]A long time ago I was pretty dumb.
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

zambonidriver, can you elaborate as to why you think the team would not be able to handle how Os "does things"? I am genuinely curious as to why you think that.

Additionally, you continue to infer that the girls on the team are not nice kids because of your daughter's experience in Europe. It's not a fair accusation. It is a biased accusation. First, there were a handful of our girls on Team MN. So you are making a generalization. Second, of the 30+ girls on the roster there IS NOT ONE bad apple in the group. And that is not an exaggeration. They all get along great. They welcome new girls with open arms and they root for one another. My daughter was on the trip and the feelings were not mutual from her side. She enjoyed hanging out with your daughter and told me that specifically.

If you were to go through the locker room and ask the question "Who wants to play college hockey?" I can guarantee you that every girl would raise their hand. Every one of them. That is why we are Os now. To leverage Winny's connections and reputation within the collegiate coaching ranks. It is that simple. Are we there for the hockey development? No we are not. Winny can develop girls with the best of them, clearly. But we have that covered. This was in the best interests of the girls and their hockey futures. I don't think that is any different as to why any female hockey player that aspires to play collegiately eventually ends up at Os. Are you not there for the very same reason?
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

HockeyDude20 wrote:zambonidriver, can you elaborate as to why you think the team would not be able to handle how Os "does things"? I am genuinely curious as to why you think that.

Additionally, you continue to infer that the girls on the team are not nice kids because of your daughter's experience in Europe. It's not a fair accusation. It is a biased accusation. First, there were a handful of our girls on Team MN. So you are making a generalization. Second, of the 30+ girls on the roster there IS NOT ONE bad apple in the group. And that is not an exaggeration. They all get along great. They welcome new girls with open arms and they root for one another. My daughter was on the trip and the feelings were not mutual from her side. She enjoyed hanging out with your daughter and told me that specifically.
More parents than kids too worried about hockey she loved the kids. Didn't appreciate the behavior of some of the parents especially when she was hanging with the kids from Sweden. Again I was not there got the story from my wife and a few others. There was a definite split heard that from many non machine people that were on the trip. Again parents not kids the trip was not just about hockey. She is still in touch with the friends she made from other countries. I resent that you say I infer these are bad kids as a teacher I know there are no bad kids. The question was asked I answered honestly. I Know a lot of those kids and they are awesome!
Your daughter included. Philosophically is where I have the issue as was so plainly stated in the article that started this discussion.
Last edited by zambonidriver on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

zambonidriver wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
zambonidriver wrote: Not really, why so defensive? It must be true your kids are the best because it is on the internet Bonjour.

first of all I am an equal opportunity basher second it remains to be seen if you can handle the way OS does things my guess is not. Third whether my daughter accepts or declines is up to her. I know this from her her experience in Europe my guess is she would decline. Because she idolizes the ground Winny walks on she might. She has her team.
"Equal Opportunity basher" - what color is the sky in your world?

Pretty sure the team/players/coaches can handle how OS does things - it was a process long in the making.

Well I am happy to hear your daughter likes Winnie - Winnie is a class act and a solid role model for young female hockey players. Hopefully she has a big impact on your daughter.

Glad to hear she has her team!
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

zambonidriver wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:zambonidriver, can you elaborate as to why you think the team would not be able to handle how Os "does things"? I am genuinely curious as to why you think that.

More parents than kids too worried about hockey she loved the kids. Didn't appreciate the behavior of some of the parents especially when she was hanging with the kids from Sweden. Again I was not there got the story from my wife and a few others. There was a definite split heard that from many non machine people that were on the trip. Again parents not kids the trip was not just about hockey. She is still in touch with the friends she made from other countries. I resent that you say I infer these are bad kids as a teacher I know there are no bad kids. The question was asked I answered honestly. I Know a lot of those kids and they are awesome!
Your daughter included. Philosophically is where I have the issue as was so plainly stated in the article that started this discussion.
It tells a lot about a person when they take 2nd hand info, draw concrete conclusions, blanket those conclusions over an entire group, and spread it as truth. That goes directly to credibility and character.

Your last statement make no sense. The article was written by someone outside of the 02 Machine team.

What philosophical differences do you have with the team, how it is coached or how the team plays? Winnie loves the team and how they play, so I am wondering where the difference is?

You love the kids, they are all great, but it is the parents? Weird how all the kids turned out great with such horrible people for parents. How many parents do you personally know on this team? How many have you actually sat down with and had a conversation with? Is it 2? Is it 4? What is the # you have to draw your opinions off of?
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

So from this thread I am hearing that the Machine O2 will wear OS jerseys and that is the only change, right? They still have the same coaches, the same systems, etc. They will not move to the Winny throw out the puck and be creative and no team structure but rather exactly as before, Winny not even involved to run practices and development. Jersey change only. Is this correct or is Winny actually getting involved with this group with their development and her development philosophy?

What will this team be called BTW? OS Selects 02?

Super talented group and Winny should be excited to have them
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

Mavs, as far as the team is concerned nothing changes other than the jersey they will be wearing. Coaching staff will remain the same.

With that being said, many of them will be training individually with Winny through her "8 Weeks of Summer" clinic. The team will skate in 7 tournaments (3 out of town, 4 local) with the Os sweaters and all will participate in the Futures Camp. Additionally, many of them will be training two mornings per week for 10 weeks over the summer with Bernie McBain.

The team will be called the 02 Os Elite.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

HockeyDude20 wrote:Mavs, as far as the team is concerned nothing changes other than the jersey they will be wearing. Coaching staff will remain the same.

With that being said, many of them will be training individually with Winny through her "8 Weeks of Summer" clinic. The team will skate in 7 tournaments (3 out of town, 4 local) with the Os sweaters and all will participate in the Futures Camp. Additionally, many of them will be training two mornings per week for 10 weeks over the summer with Bernie McBain.

The team will be called the 02 Os Elite.
Cool. Holy cow that is a lot of tournaments. I'm sure they will do extremely well. Will be fun to watch.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

If you are going to lose girls to them, why not join em?

It appears from that the 2000 Machine Orange went the way of Os from MN Made (originally the MN "made" Machine) last summer, a decent chunk (most of the top players) of the 2001 Machine Orange went 2 summers ago, and now the 2002 Machine does the same this upcoming spring/summer/fall season. Different dynamics on all of those teams with coaches, players, and upper management (who ran them for MN Made). From Bowlby to Westall to Koethe to Bodick to Jungels and more.

In my opinion Os & Winnie are great and in every situation I have seen the organization from the top down treats girls with respect. They certainly do all they can to further the girls game as a whole and create an environment where girls can grow as players. Eventually the girls begin to separate themselves from others and you get the Whitecaps/Jr Whitecaps for many (not all) of the higher end players in the Metro and beyond.

As an observer of some of these Machine teams over the years there seems to be some strong personalities as coaches/owners/managers. From the outside many may feel like those folks might not be very "Os". While the devotion to many of these coaches or managers is very strong there are things that have made many outsiders (and insiders) think a variety of things.

Accusations of beating teams too badly to being extremely terse to telling kids that they cannot watch their girlfriends teams play are all examples of things that have made many say, "Really???". I am sure that there are other examples out there but this is not the point of this post.

The above paragraph says nothing about the EXTREMELY positive experiences many have had with their respective Machine teams they have play(ed) for or experienced in playing them in tournaments or scrimmages. They (the 02 team for example) appear to be EXTREMELY well coached and obviously have played against a bunch of the top teams in the world in their age group (beaten most of them according to someone in one of the prior posts) and also played against girls above their age and beaten many of them too. One of the most admirable qualities I have seen in the limited times I have seen them play is their tenacious forecheck and the quality of shifts the kids take (the shift time and quality is a HUGE problem in both the younger boys game and also in the girls game up into HS in some cases). And in the case with that team it appears to be a situation that is remedied by missing shifts and time if you do NOT have a hard, quality, shorter, shift. They rolled 4 lines of F and 3 lines of D every time I saw them.

Like someone said in a prior post it appears as if MN Made is a little more invested in the boys side than the girls side. I would also say that it appears as if they are a little more invested in the younger kids more than the older when you see how many kids are in their mite/squirt/choice/Superleague leagues. It also appears that MN Made is more expensive than Os. At some point most people realize that this is an expensive sport for our kids and many have to weigh the $$$/Value proposition for our choices. Countless examples on this board (from Boys HS to Girls HS to boys and girls youth) of "checkbook" hockey. From Europe tours to power skating to shooting clinics and summer training it all costs $$$ and even if our kids had all the time in the world the $$$ would run out for lots of us.

It appears as if Winnie and Os is the dominant force in girls hockey in the Metro. There are some other great programs across the metro from MAPS to Blades to Miracle to Cougars to several others but none have the influence and breadth of Os from above the U12 age level.

I am thankful that Os does not appear to be ludicrously expensive and appears to be fair and balanced in its approach to help girls hockey grow as a whole and for the girls individually.

With Os, why would you NOT try to join them if many or most of your players are going to get there eventually. Especially if they are what appears to be a great organization that not only gives them very high quality training and opportunities that many others do and cannot. It is also an organization that empowers our girls and gives them opportunities to have new friendships with girls from all across the metro and state. Win WIN!!!
massalsa

Re: how bout an update???

Post by massalsa »

massalsa wrote:Is U15 hockey still alive?

Virtually zero coverage, news, posts, or talk from my limited point of view...
Wow!

When I wrote this last Thursday I was looking for more "U15" stuff.

But the last 24 hours has certainly been interesting, entertaining, and in a few cases insightful!
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

massalsa, well said. Os is the program to be affiliated with eventually if you are a female hockey player.

You wanted some chatter. You got it! 15U hockey is purgatory. Nothing to talk about there...
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:

It tells a lot about a person when they take 2nd hand info, draw concrete conclusions, blanket those conclusions over an entire group, and spread it as truth. That goes directly to credibility and character.

Your last statement make no sense. The article was written by someone outside of the 02 Machine team.

What philosophical differences do you have with the team, how it is coached or how the team plays? Winnie loves the team and how they play, so I am wondering where the difference is?

You love the kids, they are all great, but it is the parents? Weird how all the kids turned out great with such horrible people for parents. How many parents do you personally know on this team? How many have you actually sat down with and had a conversation with? Is it 2? Is it 4? What is the # you have to draw your opinions off of?
You know you have about as much credibility as president Nixon. I'll take what my wife and my good friend who was on the trip said over anyone of you on this board. You can take your cheap shots at me all you want but don't you accuse my wife and daughter or my friend who was on the trip of not telling the truth.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Guys, come on.

Northwoods and Zamboni - we all have girls in the O/S program playing on different teams. I presume we're all there for the same reason, to give our daughters a high quality spring and summer training opportunity. If that leads to something more during the high school years, bonus. If not, the group of girls and women our daughters gets to spend time with are amazing role models, dedicated to their craft, and respectful as an organization. Find me a better support group to lead them through their difficult adolescent years and create a network for their entire lives. Let's not sling arrows at colleagues.

Détente, please?

One more for the board - her name is Winny. Her brother's name (the HS coach at Roseville) is Victry. They live up to their names : ).