MLB Playoffs

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

packerboy wrote:AY,

I think George is goofey enough to fire Torre.

If he did , Joe would be out of work for about 20 minutes.

If the Yanks comeback, guess who will take credit for motivating them?
Torre out as Yankees Manager after rejecting Steinbrenner's offer of 1-year $5 Million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3069115
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Manny hits 400ft single in Game #5.

It's to the point now where the saying "Manny is just being Manny" doesn't apply anymore. He like other public personalities/celebrities eventually become charactures of themselves. The correct saying now is "Manny is attempting to act how Manny should act when everyone is watching".
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Manny is a pain in the ass but I love to watch him hit.

His pitch recognition and discipline at the plate are singular.

You would think some one who acts the way he does would be undisciplined at the plate.

Manny is a great example for young hitters and a terrible example for young ball players.

I have been a Yankee fan my whole life but its getting real hard to stay one.

Why would they let Torre go? Joe made 19 million dollars the last 3 years so I don't feel sorry for him. Thats life in the big leagues and nobody else would pay him that.

But who is going to replace him? He was perfect for that situation.

Torre is the most respected baseball guy in the country. If it were my club, he'd have the job as long as he wanted it.

I dunno, maybe he didnt want it anymore.

And as long as the political threads got locked out, I nominate Joe Torre for President.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

It sounds like Don Mattingly is the likely candidate to replace Torre and according to the paper Mattingly said coming in after Torre will be like replacing John Wooden. I don't know if I'd go that far but Torre certainly handled the job with poise and class that is very difficult to achieve in that position. I'm not a Yankee fan at all but I do like Torre.

I'd also like to see the Indians pull this out, prior to the '90s Cleveland fans had to endure some awful baseball and then in 1997 lost a heartbreaker of a 7th game to the rent-a-Marlins so I feel like they deserve another shot at the championship. I missed last night's game but it looks like Beckett was dominating again and the Bosox bats came alive.

Tomorrow night's game should be good, Boston will need to get a good start from Schilling and some production from players other than Ortiz, Manny and Mike Lowell.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Joe Girardi. He's good enough to garner respect and I like his no-nonsense approach. I don't think Don can do it.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Wasn't Girardi the guy that got fired from Florida because he didn't get along with the owner? That's not the kind of thing that would suggest he could get along with Steinbrenner. Though I do agree that he is a good manager, I don't know if he has the personality to work for the Yankees.
Irishmans Shanty

BOSOX 5
Indians 1

Bottom 3

Looking like a game seven tomorrow.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I've followed the Indians on the radio all year and their bats saved them often; with Peralta, Lofton, and Martinez they have 3 of the worst defensevily at their respective positions in the AL. Peralta's lack of range killed the Indians twice in the early innings tonight - Carmona then Perez threw BP which didn't help but Carmona should have been out of the 1st inning with nearly any SS other than Peralta.

When the stars of your team - Sabathia and Carmona have an ERA over 18 and Hafner and Sizemore need to change to slowpitch to have any chance of a key hit, scratch that any hit, the Indians will have trouble not becoming only the 5th team in history to choke away a 3-1 lead.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Red Sox Nation advances to the Fall Classic.

A very poorly played game 7 , I thought.

The pitching was sporadic; the defense was awful; the umpires blew a key call; and I ran out of beer on a Sunday night.

The Sox need to be tighter vs COL but will win the series.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Rox vs. Sox...

I have to think that the only Boston can stay in this thing is if the Series goes 7 games and Beckett pitches games 1, 4 & 7, and Schilling goes 2 & 6. Those two have been through it and have stepped up big when called upon... so far Dice-K hasn't done much (although he looked a little better last night), he probably needs to go to the pen.

Colorado does everything you need to do to win... throw strikes, clean defense, and timely hits.

I think the Sox will pull off a miracle though... and take 2 games from Colorado.

Rocks in 6.
boblee

post 8438

Post by boblee »

Rocktober in 6 here as well...
Irishmans Shanty

CLE scored 5 total runs in the final three games of the series.

Hit the Boofin' ball and you go to the World Series.

Hafner was .167 in the series.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:CLE scored 5 total runs in the final three games of the series.

Hit the Boofin' ball and you go to the World Series.
Well, yes, but giving up 30 runs in those same 3 games didn't help either.... That's 14 more runs than the Rocks have given in up in both of their play series combined.
Irishmans Shanty

Has Joel Skinner been released by the Indians yet?
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

That was a bad desison but the hitters need to bail him out with a sac fly.

As always, hit the boofin ball.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Play ball!

You heard it here first: Four years form now Game 1 will be here in the new ball park..........and we will freeze our axes off.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:Play ball!

You heard it here first: Four years form now Game 1 will be here in the new ball park..........and we will freeze our axes off.
I've already got my seats, I enjoy coffee and I own a coat. You won't hear me complain.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Oh, and arent you just the hearty Minnesotan.

Yah sure, you betcha.

But I suppose this time of year, a lot of places can have weather that isnt reall great to play in.

I dont care if I sit outside in 45 degree weather. I used to be a paper boy dontcha know.

I dont like the idea of the biggest games of the greatest game being played in that kind of weather.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Well, it's been done, and will continue to be done. Minnesota's a little different in the heart of the winter, but where has (is) the World Series been played the last 5 years? Detroit, Boston, Chicago, New York, Denver.... all outdoors. So far, everybody has made it out alive (I think one woman was killed by a rubber bullet during the celebration in Boston, but I hear she was comfortably warm at the time).

Unless MLB reduces the the schedule back to 154 games or removes the Wild Card, you're going to have cold weather baseball and with any luck, our Twins will be playing in it! :shock:
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Cutting back the playoffs;# of games ; or reviving the doubleheader would cut into revenue so it wont happen. Torii need his 15 million a year, he has a family.

So, we are stck with chilly fall baseball.

Interestingly enough, the Twins have already released this photo of how how the new ball field security guards will dress until May 15 and after October 1:

Irishmans Shanty

I remember Ramon Ortiz getting picked up by Colorado after his successful stint with the Twins.

I can't believe he isn't starting tonight.Image
Irishmans Shanty

Boston #1 & #2 hitters, Youkilis and Pedroia entered Game #1 with 15 hits in the last three games. Six pitches into the game they had 6 bases......nice.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

The Red Sox Nation is feeling it.

Everybody hits.

Thats bad news for COL. They dont have a pitcher who can shut down the Sox. They dont have a Josh Beckett.

But buy some extra beverages for tonight because it could be a slug fest.

Schilling's bloody sock aint what it used to be and this kid the Rockies are throwing could look as shellshocked as the guys that threw last night by the 4th inning or so.

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

The Bosox have to cool down at some point and this evening will be it. Look for the Rockies to get over the "opening night jitters" and respond with a solid effort to tie this series - at least I hope so. It's getting a bit old watching the Sox players round the bases and celebrate, although I have to admit they have put on an unprecedented performance over the past four games. With the wave the Rockies had been riding, it is unfortunate they had the week off - I'm sure they would have loved to play the Sox right away.

AY 8)
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Govs93 wrote:
packerboy wrote:Play ball!

I've already got my seats, I enjoy coffee and I own a coat. You won't hear me complain.
We all know what will be in that coffee.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls