Class A QF #3 seed 4A Mahtomedi (20-8-0) vs 6A Alexandria (14-12-1)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins this Class A QF Game?

Mahtomedi
47%
Alexandria
53%

Total votes: 15

Nostalgic Nerd

Re: Class A QF #3 seed 4A Mahtomedi (20-8-0) vs 6A Alexandria (14-12-1)

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

For a while there I thought Alex might pull it off. Difficult caring about either team in the semis. = Go Warroad! :D
I can splash in the rink puddles!
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

Eagles93 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:50 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:09 pm He jumped into the glass of the opposing Student section my guess as to why it was called that is frowned upon by the MSHSL on TV as bad sportsmanship eventhough it happens all season long. I have seen it called at the Tourney only before
It's not a state tournament/TV rule, I've seen teams penalized for this in the regular season. It's a pretty common rule in HS hockey now, the player should have known you can't jump into the opponent's student section.
Just like asking a NFL player to contort their bodies while sacking a quarterback so that they don't land directly on top of them when they are going full speed with those big bodies, asking a high school kid to skate across the ice to the other side of the boards in order to jump into them in celebration is just about as ludicrous as rules come. I heavily question if that player was even aware which fans were behind those boards at that time. Please excuse my "name calling" but sometimes the powers that be are just full of stupidity.
southwestrink

Post by southwestrink »

The zebras were terrible in this one. Hope they find some better help.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Eagles93 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:50 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:09 pm He jumped into the glass of the opposing Student section my guess as to why it was called that is frowned upon by the MSHSL on TV as bad sportsmanship eventhough it happens all season long. I have seen it called at the Tourney only before
It's not a state tournament/TV rule, I've seen teams penalized for this in the regular season. It's a pretty common rule in HS hockey now, the player should have known you can't jump into the opponent's student section.
This is from the Rink Live Notes on Class A Games

Don't celly like that
Wednesday's second quarterfinal between No. 3 Mahtomedi and Alexandria was affected by several penalty calls, non-calls and a fairly unique odd-man opportunity.

In the first period, Alexandria's Gavin Olson was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after scoring to give the Cardinals a 2-1 lead. The Zephyrs scored on the ensuing power play to tie the game.

Alex coach Josh Meyers said after the game that the officials told him the penalty was for celebrating towards the Mahtomedi student section.

"They said it's been a rule all season long," Meyers said. "They said they let the first one slide. Our first goal, I guess, we did it. He said he let the first one slide but had to call the second."

Meyers went on to add that he hasn't seen those penalties called during the season.

"If he let the first one slide, we didn't know that he let it slide," Meyers said.

While it is a rule it is not being enforced much during the regular season even Alex Coach wasn't aware of it. I dont think it as common as we think judging by the social media reaction and comments I got from other Class A Coaches accounts even not knowing it was rule. On TV MSHSL is more strict especially with sportsmanship and the recent issues they have had with public relations.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Perhaps it's not called much because most coaches are aware of the rule and instruct their players to not do it?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Eagles93 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:43 am Perhaps it's not called much because most coaches are aware of the rule and instruct their players to not do it?
Maybe not called much outstate? I was surprised at the outcry and how many people have never heard of such rule and seen it done during the regular season with no penalty. Maybe a new rule that is taking time to be enforced.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

I didn't see this particular incident, I was simply commenting on the rule. Not sure if it's more of a metro thing, though not sure why it would be, they have fans at outstate games. I do agree, as mentioned above, that it can be trickier at the X as players might not necessarily know where the student sections are. And it's really only a Class A thing at the X, the AA student sections are primarily in the upper bowl. At local rinks the players definitely know which side their fans are on, and I have no problem with the rule to help promote sportsmanship. If some fans are surprised about the rule that's one thing but for the coach to be unaware is inexcusable.