Edina's Michael Risteau

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Rich Clarke

Edina's Michael Risteau

Post by Rich Clarke »

Can anyone tell me how Risteau went from being Edina's leading scorer midway through the season to being a fourth line forward during the playoffs? I know Edina went through a flu epidemic that sidelined several players, and when he seemed to go missing after the second Minnetonka game I assumed that was the reason. But he returned a week or so later but never got more than sporadic playing time, and little or none at state. So I'm wondering if he just didn't sufficiently recover to return to a full time role, or whether Giles affirmatively substituted Warpinski (previously forth line) in his place, perhaps because he provided a more physical presence than the smaller Risteau or was better defensively. I am also wondering if flu or injuries are what kept Mullman and Bodie Finn off the playoff rosters. It obviously isn't important, but I would love to know if anyone has the answers. Thanks!
BP

Re: Edina's Michael Risteau

Post by BP »

It started at the Hlinka a few years ago. Some major character issues - where he was almost sent home.

Fast forward to this year - left for BCHL - then came home - but didn't go back to BSM. Why? So 3 teams in 8 months.

Heard some things on why he finished on 4th line this year - but watching him in section final and after state title game - seemed liked a GREAT team guy. Seems like a good kid - just needs to figure it out. Hoping the best for him!
bardown27

Re: Edina's Michael Risteau

Post by bardown27 »

BP wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:29 pm It started at the Hlinka a few years ago. Some major character issues - where he was almost sent home.

Fast forward to this year - left for BCHL - then came home - but didn't go back to BSM. Why? So 3 teams in 8 months.

Heard some things on why he finished on 4th line this year - but watching him in section final and after state title game - seemed liked a GREAT team guy. Seems like a good kid - just needs to figure it out. Hoping the best for him!
From what I heard from someone last week at the tourney. At the end of the year last year he transferred to Edina because BSM doesn’t offer online school. There’s a MSHSL rule (from what I was told) that if he would have come back to HS within 15 days of the school year starting he could have gone back to BSM and the switch to Edina would not have counted against him. Evidently he came back on day 17, so to be eligible at BSM his parents would have had to move (again), for him to be eligible, or he could stay at Edina and be eligible right away.