Thanks Lou

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

Thanks Lou

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Heard his 60th will be his last. Wow!

Anyhow, if you liked him, what were some of the announcing teams you liked? I was a big fan of him and Shaver, but to be honest I haven't watched him in years as I've been attending regularly. I'm sure there are more side kicks but can't remember their names.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
BP

Re: Thanks Lou

Post by BP »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:42 am Heard his 60th will be his last. Wow!

Anyhow, if you liked him, what were some of the announcing teams you liked? I was a big fan of him and Shaver, but to be honest I haven't watched him in years as I've been attending regularly. I'm sure there are more side kicks but can't remember their names.
Chris Cuthbert and Lou. Not even close.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Heck of a run. Started in 1964 :shock:

He was only in his 2nd year in the USHL then. Played in the NHL until 1978. He stayed with the North Stars until 1991 as general manager and coach.

Hats off to Lou for always prioritizing the tourney during his career! That is remarkable.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

As someone who didn't like him at all in the 90's but grew to appreciate his contributions, he'll be missed.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Lou's the biggest reason I stay home from AA games. He sees things in a game that a viewer might not and does an unsurpassed job of explaining the game. His unbridled enthusiasm clearly comes through on his broadcasts and who can forget his call a couple of years ago in the Andover- Maple Grove 2 ot championship game. " Oh, my goodness, oh. my goodness" Lol!
A person not only enjoys these games but gets an education of it in the process when Lou's behind the mic.
As for his partners, I don't remember names of them but I've always liked the guy with him tonight.
God bless you Lou. You're gonna be sorely missed.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Lou is an absolute Legend. I’ve never met him but know a few who have. They all said he’s a great guy.

I appreciate him and will miss him on here and hope he stops back tourney time once in awhile.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I will be viewing at my own crib tonight, for several reasons. I make my own garlic cheese bread for about a buck forty-five, and I can wash it down with a beer. But being able to hear Luigi one last time is also a small part of it.

One of the underrated talents in life is to know when to leave the stage. In the late 70's/early 80's, Steve Martin was the king of stand up comedy. He sold out arenas across North America. Then, he pulled the plug on it. He wanted to go out on top, and not wait until he was doing half empty buildings.

It's not politically correct to say this. but Sid Hartless embarrassed himself and tarnished his legacy. I have no evidence of this, but I am certain that that played a role in Luigi's decision. He has lost a bit on his fast ball, but he can still bring the heat. He's doing himself and all of us a favor. We will all have great memories of his time, right up to and including his last year.

Back when Cal Ripken Jr still had his streak for consecutive games, it was announced what day it would end. He could have kept it up, but then it may have ended on a drizzly night in late September in Cleveland, by slipping on the dugout steps before a game between two teams that had been out of playoff contention for a couple weeks. Instead, Ripken wrote his own script, and ended his legendary streak on his own terms, in front of his home fans. To do that, you need a sense of humility, which Luigi has always had.

No one can fill Luigi's shoes. The next man up will need to re-make the role. And this fantastic tournament will have more legendary chapters written. Don't be bummed the Lou is done, be glad you were a part of it.
Hockey Is For Everyone
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:04 pm I will be viewing at my own crib tonight, for several reasons. I make my own garlic cheese bread for about a buck forty-five, and I can wash it down with a beer. But being able to hear Luigi one last time is also a small part of it.

One of the underrated talents in life is to know when to leave the stage. In the late 70's/early 80's, Steve Martin was the king of stand up comedy. He sold out arenas across North America. Then, he pulled the plug on it. He wanted to go out on top, and not wait until he was doing half empty buildings.

It's not politically correct to say this. but Sid Hartless embarrassed himself and tarnished his legacy. I have no evidence of this, but I am certain that that played a role in Luigi's decision. He has lost a bit on his fast ball, but he can still bring the heat. He's doing himself and all of us a favor. We will all have great memories of his time, right up to and including his last year.

Back when Cal Ripken Jr still had his streak for consecutive games, it was announced what day it would end. He could have kept it up, but then it may have ended on a drizzly night in late September in Cleveland, by slipping on the dugout steps before a game between two teams that had been out of playoff contention for a couple weeks. Instead, Ripken wrote his own script, and ended his legendary streak on his own terms, in front of his home fans. To do that, you need a sense of humility, which Luigi has always had.

No one can fill Luigi's shoes. The next man up will need to re-make the role. And this fantastic tournament will have more legendary chapters written. Don't be bummed the Lou is done, be glad you were a part of it.
Well spoken ESPG. Sitting with Karl at the A championship game and no, I haven't touched his robe! 😁
norcon

Post by norcon »

Love Louie! I’m from Rapids and he’s always been very complimentary of our team, band and fans. Everyone used to whine about him favoring Edina and the city schools, but I didnt see it that way . I thought he was mostly impartial even when calling his son and grandson’s games. Thanks for everything Louie 👍