On a lighter note -- Odd MSHSL Transfer Policy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cookster

On a lighter note -- Odd MSHSL Transfer Policy

Post by Cookster »

While we all await the section playoffs, I heard something very interesting today, and love to hear others thoughts on it.

There is a family in the southwest metro where the son played this fall on the Eden Prairie Football team, and once the season was over, he started wrestling for Shakopee. Family is home schooling the kids, but how can a kid play 2 sports at different HS? Not sure if that has happened in the hockey world, but it is just odd.
Doc Holliday

Re: On a lighter note -- Odd MSHSL Transfer Policy

Post by Doc Holliday »

I had actually heard this in the past few weeks also. Shouldn't be hard to find out who it is (look up heavyweight wrestlers).

I don't understand how it's possible either, unless they specifically moved into the Shakopee district? I guess it's no different than if a kid from Lakeville moved during the school year to Maple Grove & joined the choir.....except this one seems a bit more calculated.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Who cares? The kid played football and wrestled (his brother too) at EP until this season. He’s already gotten his schollies so maybe they moved for legit reasons or maybe they’ve lived in Shakopee the entire time. Not saying I know the details, but if you play within the rules there’s not much that can be done about it.

Hockey just seems to be on a whole new level…
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:55 pm Who cares? The kid played football and wrestled (his brother too) at EP until this season. He’s already gotten his schollies so maybe they moved for legit reasons or maybe they’ve lived in Shakopee the entire time. Not saying I know the details, but if you play within the rules there’s not much that can be done about it.

C'mon.....you have to admit that it's a bit odd that a kid played a fall sport for one school & then a winter sport for another, literally right next to each other.

If they've lived in Shakopee the entire time, then how would this be legal?

I agree that hockey seems to be on a whole new level, but if this involved hockey, I think it would be garnering a lot more attention than a who cares....Imagine Mason West playing QB for EP in the fall & then playing hockey for Edina in the winter...
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Doc Holliday wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:00 am
headsupsticksdown wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:55 pm Who cares? The kid played football and wrestled (his brother too) at EP until this season. He’s already gotten his schollies so maybe they moved for legit reasons or maybe they’ve lived in Shakopee the entire time. Not saying I know the details, but if you play within the rules there’s not much that can be done about it.

C'mon.....you have to admit that it's a bit odd that a kid played a fall sport for one school & then a winter sport for another, literally right next to each other.

If they've lived in Shakopee the entire time, then how would this be legal?

I agree that hockey seems to be on a whole new level, but if this involved hockey, I think it would be garnering a lot more attention than a who cares....Imagine Mason West playing QB for EP in the fall & then playing hockey for Edina in the winter...
I mean it is odd at first sight and I can see how it could snowball into a negative, but I don’t believe it’s malicious in any way. Serious question—if he were an open enrollee for years living in Shakopee and going to school in EP and then decided to then change and enroll where his address is, is this against the rules?

Shakopee’s wrestling team is much better than EP’s and vice versa for EP’s football team so maybe there’s more to it. But looks like younger bro is also at Shakopee so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

A little more context and sorry I did not post this earlier.

I believe there was an issue with a parent of a different wrestler at EP.
The family lives on the EP/Tonka Border
The kids are homeschooled

The senior wrestled for EP last year, as did his brothers. I guess there is no have to sit a year for a change in schools. In hockey, we would have quite an uproar. BTW, this family was the difference in who went to state. Had the family stayed, EP would have gone. They move and Shakopee goes.

It may not be malicious, but if MSHSL lets this happen, they have no teeth on all the transfers in hockey.