2023-24 Season Transfers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: 2023-24 Season Transfers

Post by WestMetro »

From YHH just now

We have confirmed that Western Michigan commit Michael Risteau has transferred to Edina for his senior season.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

It will be interesting to see which of the 2,500 available loopholes will be used in order for him to be eligible.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

slacsap wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:46 pm It will be interesting to see which of the 2,500 available loopholes will be used in order for him to be eligible.
Wow, I hadn't heard that MSHSL had closed so many loop holes. Good to hear.
Hockey Is For Everyone
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Edina is the beneficiary of a new player and not one comment regarding the movement.
Play Like a Champion Today
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

blueblood wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:23 pm Edina is the beneficiary of a new player and not one comment regarding the movement.
When they get 8 more to catch up with your squad, we can talk :mrgreen:
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

check your numbers.
Brodziak Fan Club

lol, sorry… I was just throwing out a number.

By my quick count it was only *7* players on last year’s all-star team that came from other youth programs. A regular homegrown operation the Skippers have working over there.

Good luck with deflecting the attention onto other teams.
Brodziak Fan Club

And if you want to add Markwell this year that makes 8. 7 more than Edina. Guess my original number was pretty close…
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

there’s a difference between hs transfer and not playing youth hockey. I’m sure there’s some green machine players that fall into those categories and at least one that fit both from last season.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:58 pm And if you want to add Markwell this year that makes 8. 7 more than Edina. Guess my original number was pretty close…
How many of those previously had ties to MYH and/or were already in the district?
Brodziak Fan Club

I’m just trying to push back on blueblood’s original comment that nobody said anything about the Edina transfer.

To me it’s pretty clear that what Tonka has had come in over the past few years is on a different level than most of the rest of the state.

Honestly, good for them! Minnetonka is a great school and Goldy seems like a quality coach. I have nothing but respect for the Skippers program.

I know Edina isn’t some purified program that only allows players to play who skated directly from their cradles at Fairview Southdale to the backyard rink at Braemar.

Just some fun preseason jabbing between lake conference foes.

Now, somebody will have to define the word “backcheck” for Risteau as he likely wasn’t asked to practice it once at Benilde :mrgreen:
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

But Brodziak , don't forget to net out youth Tonka stars outgoings to other programs like NTDP , Stewart to BSM/Ushl and Kam H to Chan/USHL
Brodziak Fan Club

WestMetro wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:08 pm But Brodziak , don't forget to net out youth Tonka stars outgoings to other programs like NTDP , Stewart to BSM/Ushl and Kam H to Chan/USHL
Very true!
Every metro power program loses guys though.

I’m really not hating on Tonka here, again just pointing out the reason they are more under the microscope than others when it comes to transfers.
HHH

Post by HHH »

Hearing some other potential income transfers to the hornets ! 1 from Ep , 2 more from BSM . Can anyone confirm?
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

hmmmmm…..
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

HHH wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:33 pm Hearing some other potential income transfers to the hornets ! 1 from Ep , 2 more from BSM . Can anyone confirm?
How would someone transfer into Edina 2 months after school has started?
HHH

Post by HHH »

I guess we’ll see how it all shakes out in a couple weeks 🤷🏽‍♂️
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Why the heck can't the parents just let the kids play where they grow up?
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Smooth wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:34 am Why the heck can't the parents just let the kids play where they grow up?
I'm by no means a fan of these late year transfers, but every situation is different. Surely, there are those monster parents that seem to pull and pry their kids in every direction and or stir the pot at every opportunity they get, but there are situations where a kid requests to transfer for legitimate reasons. I seem to keep picking on EP, but look at that group that won State as PW's and where they are now. There's always high expectations and the assumption that the kids can keep things going, but part of being in high school is kids change for better or worse and that bond can either break or weaken over time. I can't remember how many times I've heard kids simply don't have that connection anymore and want to play for x, y, z because they felt the dynamic(s) were better elsewhere.

It really sucks for Johnny who came up through the system and ends up getting cut because someone pops in for a season or two, but unless the coach sets the tone that homegrown talent takes priority, I don't see how this can be prevented. Certainly not when said coach gets thrown under the bus at every opportunity for not getting to State after a season or two. :D
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

There's only one group to blame....ADULTS.....And by adults, I mean the parents, the coaches and the administrators. It's not the kids fault... I just don't see to many kids tugging on their dad jacket begging for dad to rent an apartment in the next town over. It's adult driven. Adult approved and adult executed

What I can see happening (especially with the growth of hockey schools) is a day when there are 6-10 "shattucks" operating around the state. Kid will be playing hockey 8-10 months for these "non high school sanctioned" teams. Maybe even have their own version of a state tournament.

It's sad because it would be very easy to fix....But the grey hairs at the MSHSL just can't get off their butts to do it....And Minnesota Hockey...Come on, you're better than this...You could be leading this charge and address the problem as well. Don't just stick your head in the sand.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Brayden Olson Jr. (41 pts as Soph)- Leaving Northfield and Transferring to Lakeville South this year.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Top Wisconsin Player Noah Gillette (Onalaska/La Crosse) (30 goals & 47 points last season) has moved to La Crescent and will be a Lancer this year.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

yesiplayedhockey wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:56 pm There's only one group to blame....ADULTS.....And by adults, I mean the parents, the coaches and the administrators. It's not the kids fault... I just don't see to many kids tugging on their dad jacket begging for dad to rent an apartment in the next town over. It's adult driven. Adult approved and adult executed

What I can see happening (especially with the growth of hockey schools) is a day when there are 6-10 "shattucks" operating around the state. Kid will be playing hockey 8-10 months for these "non high school sanctioned" teams. Maybe even have their own version of a state tournament.

It's sad because it would be very easy to fix....But the grey hairs at the MSHSL just can't get off their butts to do it....And Minnesota Hockey...Come on, you're better than this...You could be leading this charge and address the problem as well. Don't just stick your head in the sand.
I feel like each year the parents attempt to ruin high school sports more and more with the politics and petty games being played. Combined with more kids leaving for juniors (and with it, the high-end talent) as remote schooling becomes a viable option post-pandemic, I'm trying to sustain my passion for MN high school hockey, but it's becoming a middling product. What I would give just to go back 6-7 seasons ago.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

ryguyMN wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:57 am I feel like each year the parents attempt to ruin high school sports more and more with the politics and petty games being played. Combined with more kids leaving for juniors (and with it, the high-end talent) as remote schooling becomes a viable option post-pandemic, I'm trying to sustain my passion for MN high school hockey, but it's becoming a middling product. What I would give just to go back 6-7 seasons ago.
I don't see that at all. I just read that there is only ONE Minnesotan playing Major Junior this year. Many of the kids playing USHL & NAHL return to school making them before-and-after guys. HS games are still great to watch and while some lament that some "leave early", I notice that most guys do play in HS for the years leading up to their departure.

When Cam Briere or Eddie Revenig leaves it doesn't render what's left as "middling" for me one bit. Super excited for this upcoming season.
Be kind. Rewind.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

Not really a transfer per se...but Kam Hendrikson will be back in net for Chanhassen this winter.

Good for Chan, good for MN HS hockey...but I think it's going to stunt his development as a goalie. Kid was scheduled to get 4-5 games this month with Chicago Steel in USHL, not sure how playing against HS kids will push him along?