Games Thursday 3-9-23

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Games Thursday 3-9-23

Post by elliott70 »

Cretin-Derham Hall vs Maple Grove - Xcel Energy Center - Class AA Quarterfinal 11:00 AM CST

Moorhead vs Edina - Xcel Energy Center - Class AA Quarterfinal 1:00 PM CST

Hill-Murray vs Minnetonka - Xcel Energy Center - Class AA Quarterfinal 6:00 PM CST

Lakeville South vs Andover - Xcel Energy Center - Class AA Quarterfinal 8:00 PM CST
Sparlimb

Re: Games Thursday 3-9-23

Post by Sparlimb »

Waiting for the usual Games of the Day so I know which to tune in for...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Game of the Day

Hill-Murray vs Minnetonka - Xcel Energy Center - Class AA Quarterfinal 6:00 PM CST
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:41 pm Game of the Day

Sorry, Elliott. The obvious game of the day is Moorhead vs Edina. A classic North vs South contest that will have most fans cheering when Moorhead scores and more fans sneering or simply sitting on their hands when Edina scores. It is the only AA Quarterfinal that has any element of "State Tourney"attached to it.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

mnmouth wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:33 am

Sorry, Elliott. The obvious game of the day is Moorhead vs Edina. A classic North vs South contest that will have most fans cheering when Moorhead scores and more fans sneering or simply sitting on their hands when Edina scores. It is the only AA Quarterfinal that has any element of "State Tourney"attached to it.
I agree.
But being that I am from the City of Hill-Murray I had to pick that game.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:35 am

I agree.
[-X
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I agree.

I am starting to consider how early I should start drinking to be able to stomach the game. Glad its the night game. First game here is 9 AM, I'd have to have mimosas.

I am looking forward to the Moorhead game and wondering why I should hate Warroad girls.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sparlimb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:23 pm

I agree.

I am starting to consider how early I should start drinking to be able to stomach the game. Glad its the night game. First game here is 9 AM, I'd have to have mimosas.

I am looking forward to the Moorhead game and wondering why I should hate Warroad girls.
Recruiting
Not playing AA
Just the usual mn hockey drama
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Maple Grove can't play much better. I hate games where you play your best, seem a step bigger and faster and find yourself down after 2. Will be a great third period.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:27 pm Maple Grove can't play much better. I hate games where you play your best, seem a step bigger and faster and find yourself down after 2. Will be a great third period.
Seems like they're juuuust missing on some connections. Plus the goaltending...
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Another disappointing tourney for Maple Grove. I thought they played well today, they just didn't bury their chances. Two posts hit...

Congrats to CDH.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

All the credit to Cretin. They seemed to get stronger as the game went on.
The51

Post by The51 »

That was just a solid, all-around hockey game. Not something you'll remember strongly 10 years down the road but a great way to spend 2 hours and 15 minutes.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

I thought Maple Grove looked listless all game. They were fumbling and bumbling the puck and not connecting on their passes. They needed to burry one in the 2nd when they were controlling play, but didn’t, and then CDH scored when MG’s 3rd line got pinned back in their zone and couldn’t clear puck. Bergland should have reunited Steenerson with Brink and Kernan in 3rd, as MG was having trouble scoring. He didn’t, and now the season is over. No penalties called also hurt MG, as their powerplay is deadly, scoring at 44%. By the way, the big three play together on the power play. Why you don’t put them together, especially late in 3rd when you desperately need a goal, is beyond my comprehension. The natives are getting restless in the Grove. Still no state titles with all this talent and nothing but success over and over again at Bantam AA. No excuses. You gotta win the big one, and it isn’t happening.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:22 pm I thought Maple Grove looked listless all game. They were fumbling and bumbling the puck and not connecting on their passes. They needed to burry one in the 2nd when they were controlling play, but didn’t, and then CDH scored when MG’s 3rd line got pinned back in their zone and couldn’t clear puck. Bergland should have reunited Steenerson with Brink and Kernan in 3rd, as MG was having trouble scoring. He didn’t, and now the season is over. No penalties called also hurt MG, as their powerplay is deadly, scoring at 44%. By the way, the big three play together on the power play. Why you don’t put them together, especially late in 3rd when you desperately need a goal, is beyond my comprehension. The natives are getting restless in the Grove. Still no state titles with all this talent and nothing but success over and over again at Bantam AA. No excuses. You gotta win the big one, and it isn’t happening.
By the way, I expect Rogers will break through next year and get to tourney over MG. This year’s junior class at MG lost in OT to Wayzata for state Bantam AA title when they were freshman, but Danny Nelson was the star on that team, and he’s long gone. Not getting to tourney next year could be end of run for Bergland. Yep, he’s lost players to NTDP and juniors, but it’s up to coach to create culture where kids want to stay and win state championship. That’s not happening. I have no idea what happened to Gunderson this year. He was hurt, but on roster, when season started. He then left team for juniors mid-season. Why? Could have used him today, obviously.
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:27 pm
SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:22 pm I thought Maple Grove looked listless all game. They were fumbling and bumbling the puck and not connecting on their passes. They needed to burry one in the 2nd when they were controlling play, but didn’t, and then CDH scored when MG’s 3rd line got pinned back in their zone and couldn’t clear puck. Bergland should have reunited Steenerson with Brink and Kernan in 3rd, as MG was having trouble scoring. He didn’t, and now the season is over. No penalties called also hurt MG, as their powerplay is deadly, scoring at 44%. By the way, the big three play together on the power play. Why you don’t put them together, especially late in 3rd when you desperately need a goal, is beyond my comprehension. The natives are getting restless in the Grove. Still no state titles with all this talent and nothing but success over and over again at Bantam AA. No excuses. You gotta win the big one, and it isn’t happening.
By the way, I expect Rogers will break through next year and get to tourney over MG. This year’s junior class at MG lost in OT to Wayzata for state Bantam AA title when they were freshman, but Danny Nelson was the star on that team, and he’s long gone. Not getting to tourney next year could be end of run for Bergland. Yep, he’s lost players to NTDP and juniors, but it’s up to coach to create culture where kids want to stay and win state championship. That’s not happening. I have no idea what happened to Gunderson this year. He was hurt, but on roster, when season started. He then left team for juniors mid-season. Why? Could have used him today, obviously.
Everyone expects Rogers to break through and that happens about as often as MG wins the high school tournament. Coaching has a lot to do with both of those teams failures. I agree with you. No matter who leaves or who stays it’s up to the coach to get results. He hasn’t.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Fightinghawklover wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 pm
Everyone expects Rogers to break through and that happens about as often as MG wins the high school tournament. Coaching has a lot to do with both of those teams failures. I agree with you. No matter who leaves or who stays it’s up to the coach to get results. He hasn’t.
Yep.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:40 pm
Fightinghawklover wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 pm

Yep.
Maple Grove’s Bantam AA coach should be high school coach. He’s amazing, and his players love him. And all he does is win. He lost his best player this season to a prep school in Rhode Island but his team has just continued to roll. MG, Edina and Moorhead have been the best three Bantam AA teams all year long. Rogers follows those Big 3 at #4, I’d say.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Sure hoping everyone gets the Maple Grove vs Edina game tomorrow that they wanted...
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:02 pm Sure hoping everyone gets the Maple Grove vs Edina game tomorrow that they wanted...
Dunno, the hornets are buzzin' now...
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Edina's goals have all been pretty. Didn't matter who was in net on those chances. 2-1's right in front of the goalie.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Moorhead
Scoooores!!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I always say... when 6 goals isn't enough, that's not good.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Jameson looks real good for Cretin. Seems to glide along the ice. Fisher too. Feels though like it will be a challenge getting SOG. Anyway an intelligent, well coached team. They have what looks like the best goalie in the upper bracket. Also loved a few of the great spin decks they did on MG.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Thoreson looks like the most NHL of the field.