old games

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

old games

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Watching the '03 final SSP vs Cloquet. SSP had that potent first line that was dominant, but Cloquet had Johanna Ellison in goal and a great box D. SSP would win in OT on a weird slapper that got deflected off a stick I believe in the air and over Ellison.

They were part of that 86 game win streak. I was lucky enough to see them play at Polar, who had Allie Thunstrom. She played for the Whitecaps. Super fast. Just a lot of fun see her turn on her motor. Anyway at Polar SSP outshot NSP by about 25, but Thunstrom I'm pretty sure had the hat trick for NSP. It was 3-3 with seconds left and SSP did a rush to which the wing threw out a centering pass. Still my favorite redirect of all-time because it was too much in front of the center and she more or less dived for it with her stick and directed it between the NSP's goalies legs. About all the time that was left was to drop the puck. I'm fairly certain Thunstrom had just tied it a matter of seconds before. I'm guessing that was '03 regular season.

2006 EP might have been better. Stronger overall lines maybe. 30-0 if I'm correct.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Nostalgic Nerd

Re: old games

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

The '03 win was SSP's 58th in a row, so they may have gone undefeated into the '04 tourney before losing to EP in the qtrs. Man were they a fun team to watch. Just so dominant.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Watching the '05 final in all its gliched glory. :D SSP 5, Cloquet 1.

16-1 SOG after first period. 25-6 etc. :lol:

They had Maggie Fisher, Amanda Stohr, Ashley Young, Felicia Nelson etc.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

The line of Fisher/Young/Nelson each had 100 pts on the season. Still pretty funny to think about. That was the fun part about the early years. In the 2000 it was Park Center and give it to Krissy Wendell and we'll win the whole thing LOL.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

I'm not sure about how much now but back then you'd see 7th and 8th graders on the team. You could have a 5-6 year HS career. :D