Teams Making a Jump to Relevance

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OldManRiver

Teams Making a Jump to Relevance

Post by OldManRiver »

Question for those who have been watching the past few seasons - what teams have the potential to make a jump to "relevance" this season? Any programs that have traditionally just been a speed bump on the schedule of the top teams bringing a higher level of compete this year (or in the next couple of years)?

In my opinion (which is almost always wrong) an example would be a team like Rogers. Three or four years ago struggling, now starting to find some success. Who else might be in the midst of a program change?
gopherpuck516

Re: Teams Making a Jump to Relevance

Post by gopherpuck516 »

Another school that comes to mind is Shakopee. They’ve been building a good youth program the last several years, and that may start to pay off at the HS level.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

I'd throw Northern Lakes in here. Before making it to state last year, Northern Lakes had a nice regular season record in 2016-2017 (21-5-1), but had never made it past the section quarters.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Totally agree on Shakopee.

Holy Angels seems to be on the comeback trail with Griswold at the helm.

I think Buffalo will be better than advertised this year. Not a threat to win their section, but no pushover.

Chaska has a chance to make a different type of jump - from a way station for talented players looking to make their next move, to one of the top 10-15 programs in the state.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

A couple years ago it was Totino-Grace on this list. Then last season they had some very high profile players. Will be interesting to see what happens now.
Be kind. Rewind.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Woodbury has some nice talent in the youth pipeline, though H-M likely has or will lay claim to many of the top players.

Watch out for Northfield if they stay below the AA enrollment cutoff.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Can we also discuss teams making a jump from relevance?
Hockey Is For Everyone
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:41 pm Can we also discuss teams making a jump from relevance?
The obvious choice is Duluth East. You could throw Elk River in there as well. Not sure what Burnsville's future holds. Do they have anything in the pipeline or are they destined to go the way of Apple Valley?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 pm Not sure what Burnsville's future holds. Do they have anything in the pipeline or are they destined to go the way of Apple Valley?
I was told there were just 22 total that tried out this winter.
Be kind. Rewind.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I take issue with jumping to relevance a bit….

Rochester Mayo may a jump back to relevance this year. They would have been a factor in 1AA last had Covid not shut them down, at least gaining some playoff experience. The Spartans aren’t a threat to win state or even win a game there but are relevant again in the section for the first time in over a decade. I think (Karl’s hatred aside) they should be a top 25 team.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

goldy313 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm I take issue with jumping to relevance a bit….

Rochester Mayo may a jump back to relevance this year. They would have been a factor in 1AA last had Covid not shut them down, at least gaining some playoff experience. The Spartans aren’t a threat to win state or even win a game there but are relevant again in the section for the first time in over a decade. I think (Karl’s hatred aside) they should be a top 25 team.
You confuse hatred with indifference :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

The Lakeville schools, particularly North, don’t have much coming up through the youth pipeline. Not that they face especially difficult competition within 1AA, but their days of competing for state championships appear to be over for the near future.

Blaine’s outlook is pretty grim as well.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

North is fading fast, they are the next JohnMarshall or Sibley. As long as they remain in 1AA they should be relevant though. Burnsville, Apple Valley, Eagan etc all went through the same cycle. South still has land to develop so they should remain a power for a few years.

10 years down the road Bethlehem Academy will be a AA hockey program on the rise.
Teak

Post by Teak »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:41 pm Can we also discuss teams making a jump from relevance?
You mean teams moving towards irrelevance? Yeah, I would put Marshall and Luverne into that category, in terms of 3A. Statewide, I don't think their moves towards irrelevance is relevant although Luverne did generate a lot of discussion a few years ago. :!:
East Side Pioneer Guy

Teak wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:54 am
You mean teams moving towards irrelevance? Yeah, I would put Marshall and Luverne into that category, in terms of 3A. Statewide, I don't think their moves towards irrelevance is relevant although Luverne did generate a lot of discussion a few years ago. :!:
I know this is probably impolitic here, but I find it hard to argue any Class A team has relevance.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

O-townClown wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:34 pm
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 pm Not sure what Burnsville's future holds. Do they have anything in the pipeline or are they destined to go the way of Apple Valley?
I was told there were just 22 total that tried out this winter.
22??? It's not a "tryout" if no one gets cut.

But yeah, that is not good.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

Even the one that beat you a couple years back when you won the title. Good thing that team was single A ha?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Chanhassen will be quite good in 2022-23 & 2023-24. Possibly beyond.
Be kind. Rewind.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Getitright wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:16 pm Even the one that beat you a couple years back when you won the title. Good thing that team was single A ha?
Yep, even that one.

If they want to be relevant, they need to beat us in the 4AA tournament. We use 4AA championship trophies as bookends. They'd treat it like the Hope Diamond. If they ever, ya know, cowboy up.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

Sounds like you may need to use them to prop your “your, I have all the right answers on how hockey should be played” attitude up.
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

If I had all the right answers I would interject that I don’t pay homage to a high school with no youth feeder program using kids developed elsewhere to add to build a 4A trophy case. Hermantown gets a few kids and are chastised. Point is they should move up. But it’s neither of our calls just like it’s not my call to chastise a team that wins with no feeder development program. I say let the hill and htown kids do what they want without our opinions that they frankly don’t care about.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Getitright wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:43 pm Sounds like you may need to use them to prop your “your, I have all the right answers on how hockey should be played” attitude up.
Aw, c'mon Mom, have some fun. It's just a game, and what good is the interweb if not for a bit of trash talk?

We are not indifferent to anyone's lack of homage to us or our program; we, in fact, delight in being the most hated program in MN.
Hockey Is For Everyone
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:55 am
Getitright wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:43 pm Sounds like you may need to use them to prop your “your, I have all the right answers on how hockey should be played” attitude up.
Aw, c'mon Mom, have some fun. It's just a game, and what good is the interweb if not for a bit of trash talk?

We are not indifferent to anyone's lack of homage to us or our program; we, in fact, delight in being the most hated program in MN.
Pioneer Fans: We're the most hated program in MN!!

Hornet Fans: Hold our beer

:mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:05 am

Pioneer Fans: MOORHEAD is the most hated program in MN!!

Hornets: We love 'em.

Lee
East Side Pioneer Guy

east hockey wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:05 am

Pioneer Fans: We're the most hated program in MN!!

Hornet Fans: Hold our beer

Lee
In a word, no.

When we meet those dastardly Hornets in the state final, the only cheers or applause for Pioneer goals come from the Pioneer sections, as is typical. But, when hated Edina scores, there is a very slight but perceptible amount of not very enthusiastic applause from the non-Edina sections. It may only be for the first couple of Edina goals. This is how many angles can dance on the head of a pin stuff. You have to be paying close attention, but it's there, and it's important to some of us.
Hockey Is For Everyone