something fun

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

something fun

Post by elliott70 »

There most be something to discuss and have fun with instead of covid.

Open to NEW ideas for a thread about high school hockey -- past or present.
ironranger2

Re: something fun

Post by ironranger2 »

Does anyone know of any websites where you could pull old newspaper articles from the 60s, 70s, 80s? I remembering going to the library back in junior high and having to pull articles from microfilm, but I would assume there are websites out there where you can search through old newspapers that have been digitized.

The reason I bring it up is that it would be fascinating to read the sports stories printed back in the day....heck event to just look at old box scores just to see some of the names. I have worked with guys over the years that grew up in the 60s and 70s and they still talk about how every sporting event was so big for the communities and schools back then.

If anyone could post links that would be great.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Best teams to NOT win a title?

Some that come to mind:
-'97 Duluth East
-'00 Elk River
-'05 Moorhead
-'12 Duluth East
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

Thanks. I was familiar with that site.

I was thinking of being able to view something like old newspapers from Roseau/Warroad to view the different accounts of game from their hometown newspaper. Off the top of my head, would also like to look at old newspapers from I Falls, Rapids, Hibbing, Virginia, and Duluth.

Obviously, I want to be able to do this while sitting on my couch, drinking a beer and looking at my Ipad. That shouldn't be too much to ask. :D
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:00 pm Best teams to NOT win a title?

Some that come to mind:
-'97 Duluth East
-'00 Elk River
-'05 Moorhead
-'12 Duluth East
'96 East
'00 Elk River
'07 New England (oops, wrong sport)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

east hockey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Some that come to mind:
-'97 Duluth East
-'00 Elk River
-'05 Moorhead
-'12 Duluth East
'96 East
'00 Elk River

Lee
It's crazy how everyone forgets to add the 2010 Minnetonka team to these lists. 9 D1 guys who played 4 years of college hockey, 5 of them who wore letters at their respective schools.
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

I'm sure many of you have heard of this, but that new book Tourney Time is a great resource for state tourney history and such. A lot of those names from the past it's crazy how many I have actually met over time...
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

ironranger2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:07 pm Thanks. I was familiar with that site.

I was thinking of being able to view something like old newspapers from Roseau/Warroad to view the different accounts of game from their hometown newspaper. Off the top of my head, would also like to look at old newspapers from I Falls, Rapids, Hibbing, Virginia, and Duluth.

Obviously, I want to be able to do this while sitting on my couch, drinking a beer and looking at my Ipad. That shouldn't be too much to ask. :D
https://www.newspapers.com/. They have a 7-day free trial. I enjoyed my trip down memory lane during those 7 days so much that I paid for a subscription for a month.
I don't see any newspapers specific to Warroad or Roseau but reviewing the old recaps in the Strib were fun to read.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Eagles93 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:43 pm
ironranger2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:07 pm Thanks. I was familiar with that site.

https://www.newspapers.com/. They have a 7-day free trial. I enjoyed my trip down memory lane during those 7 days so much that I paid for a subscription for a month.
I don't see any newspapers specific to Warroad or Roseau but reviewing the old recaps in the Strib were fun to read.
I was thinking about checking that site out to see if I could grab scores from prior to 1997-98, the first season I was collecting scores for PageStat. Still mulling it over. I have plenty of time to do this now. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

bardown27 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:27 pm It's crazy how everyone forgets to add the 2010 Minnetonka team to these lists. 9 D1 guys who played 4 years of college hockey, 5 of them who wore letters at their respective schools.
I guess I didn't put '10 Tonka in because they lost twice to the Edina team that beat them in the final.

I didn't put '96 East on there because were they really head & shoulders better than Apple Valley that year? Or Hill Murray?

I didn't really layout any specific ground rules though.....just because a team was close to them doesn't mean they weren't a great team that didn't win a title....
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

bardown27 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:27 pm
east hockey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Some that come to mind:
-'97 Duluth East
-'00 Elk River
-'05 Moorhead
-'12 Duluth East
'96 East
'00 Elk River

Lee
It's crazy how everyone forgets to add the 2010 Minnetonka team to these lists. 9 D1 guys who played 4 years of college hockey, 5 of them who wore letters at their respective schools.
Probably not in the same boat as a top 5 ever team to not win state, but the ‘08 Minnetonka team was really good too, and didn’t even make state tournament if I’m not mistaken. Most of the 2010 seniors plus Jake Gardiner and at least one other D1 senior. I’m guessing a look at the roster would be pretty impressive.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Some that come to mind:
-'97 Duluth East
-'00 Elk River
-'05 Moorhead
-'12 Duluth East
2019 WBL
2018 WBL
2017 WBL
2016 WBL

You don't believe me. Just ask coach!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Add 2008 Roseau to the list
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I guess this qualifies as "something fun!" Ive got 3 out of 4 kids families with covid right now(none serious symptoms), and the 4th is in florida, so I might order a few of these!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/24/us/grand ... index.html
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 am I guess this qualifies as "something fun!" Ive got 3 out of 4 kids families with covid right now(none serious symptoms), and the 4th is in florida, so I might order a few of these!

NICE

SEND ME ONE. I will take it to the local high school and college games OR
just drive up and attend in person.
You seem to pop up everywhere else.

:D
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:25 am [quote=WestMetro post_id=751723 time=<a href="tel:1606320349">1606320349</a> user_id=22850]
I guess this qualifies as "something fun!" Ive got 3 out of 4 kids families with covid right now(none serious symptoms), and the 4th is in florida, so I might order a few of these!

NICE

SEND ME ONE. I will take it to the local high school and college games OR
just drive up and attend in person.
You seem to pop up everywhere else.

:D
[/quote]

Sorry! I sent the extras to Mariucci and Omaha , with instructions to position 6 rows behind gophers and UMD benches ! 🤣
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Hooray for a non-Covid topic!
east hockey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:45 pm

I was thinking about checking that site out to see if I could grab scores from prior to 1997-98, the first season I was collecting scores for PageStat. Still mulling it over. I have plenty of time to do this now. :mrgreen:

Lee
You know Danny and I would be forever indebted to you if you did! We need you retired people to enable us. :mrgreen:

I started down a Duluth News Tribune microfilm rabbit hole a few years back when I had more free time than I do now, but didn't get terribly far. The major newspapers should give us some pretty good coverage, though I'm not sure how far back we can go for reliable stuff.

On the other topic, here' s a probably complete 2-class era list of teams with 8+ D-I players who did not win it all. Obviously that alone is not indicative of how good a team is (I don't think 2012 Edina would make anyone's top 5 greatest misses list), but it can tell us a lot:

2015 Edina - 12 (once Bram Scheerer hits the ice for Union)
1996 Duluth East - 11
1997 Duluth East - 10
2012 Edina - 10
2015 St. Thomas - 9
2009 Edina - 9
2011 Edina - 9
2010 Benilde - 9
2003 Holy Angels - 9
2008 Edina - 8
1996 Hill-Murray - 8
2013 Hill-Murray - 8
2014 Lakeville North - 8
1999 Blaine - 8
1999 Eden Prairie - 8
2004 Holy Angels - 8
2010 Minnetonka - 8
1995 Moorhead - 8
2015 Elk River - 8 (once Nate Horn hits the ice for Air Force)
2010 St. Thomas - 8 (in Class A! Possibly 2009 also, though I'm guessing not)

Stray observations:
-It's not easy being the favorite: lots of Edina on this list, plus Duluth East and Holy Angels twice in their 4-year runs on top of the state
-The 2014 Final, I'm thinking, probably had the most D-I talent on the ice at one time in a state final (11 Edina and 8 LN).
-There were 21 D-I players in the 2015 Edina/LN regular season game (12 Edina, 9 LN), which is probably the most we have recorded in a single game, at least in this era.
-bardown, I'm only counting 8 D-1 players on the 2010 Skippers (Holl, Prochno, Gardiner, Kruger, Schutt, Rothstein, Baskin, Coatta). Who am I missing?
-Help a younger guy out: was Blaine and Eden Prairie both going down in the 99 Tourney quarters as big of a deal then as it seems now?
-You knew I was going to toot this horn, but...2015 Duluth East upset 3 teams on this list in consecutive games
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

karl(east) wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:10 pm Hooray for a non-Covid topic!
east hockey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:45 pm

Lee
You know Danny and I would be forever indebted to you if you did! We need you retired people to enable us. :mrgreen:

I started down a Duluth News Tribune microfilm rabbit hole a few years back when I had more free time than I do now, but didn't get terribly far. The major newspapers should give us some pretty good coverage, though I'm not sure how far back we can go for reliable stuff.

On the other topic, here' s a probably complete 2-class era list of teams with 8+ D-I players who did not win it all. Obviously that alone is not indicative of how good a team is (I don't think 2012 Edina would make anyone's top 5 greatest misses list), but it can tell us a lot:

2015 Edina - 12 (once Bram Scheerer hits the ice for Union)
1996 Duluth East - 11
1997 Duluth East - 10
2012 Edina - 10
2015 St. Thomas - 9
2009 Edina - 9
2011 Edina - 9
2010 Benilde - 9
2003 Holy Angels - 9
2008 Edina - 8
1996 Hill-Murray - 8
2013 Hill-Murray - 8
2014 Lakeville North - 8
1999 Blaine - 8
1999 Eden Prairie - 8
2004 Holy Angels - 8
2010 Minnetonka - 8
1995 Moorhead - 8
2015 Elk River - 8 (once Nate Horn hits the ice for Air Force)
2010 St. Thomas - 8 (in Class A! Possibly 2009 also, though I'm guessing not)

Stray observations:
-It's not easy being the favorite: lots of Edina on this list, plus Duluth East and Holy Angels twice in their 4-year runs on top of the state
-The 2014 Final, I'm thinking, probably had the most D-I talent on the ice at one time in a state final (11 Edina and 8 LN).
-There were 21 D-I players in the 2015 Edina/LN regular season game (12 Edina, 9 LN), which is probably the most we have recorded in a single game, at least in this era.
-bardown, I'm only counting 8 D-1 players on the 2010 Skippers (Holl, Prochno, Gardiner, Kruger, Schutt, Rothstein, Baskin, Coatta). Who am I missing?
-Help a younger guy out: was Blaine and Eden Prairie both going down in the 99 Tourney quarters as big of a deal then as it seems now?
-You knew I was going to toot this horn, but...2015 Duluth East upset 3 teams on this list in consecutive games
Karl, I’m pretty sure that 2010 Tonka team had 9. Gardiner, Coatta, Rothstein, Schutt, Baskin at F; Prochno, Johnson, Holl at D; and Kruger at G.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Bar - I’ve been thru that one with Karl before . That team was so deep that they didn’t even need to suit up Steve Johnson, future 4 year gopher star. But how about Schuldt, I have them at 9 also with him.
outdoorsuperstar

Post by outdoorsuperstar »

Joe Schuldt was recruited by Michigan Tech and was on the roster for a season, but never played a game

That Tonka team also had Hesketh, who was drafted by Edmonton, but barely even played much D3
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

outdoorsuperstar wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:55 pm Joe Schuldt was recruited by Michigan Tech and was on the roster for a season, but never played a game

That Tonka team also had Hesketh, who was drafted by Edmonton, but barely even played much D3
Schuldt never played because he had knee and concussions problems.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Need official ruling by Karl:

Must a guy appear in at least one D1 game?

Or is being on the official D1 roster good enough?

Absolutely incredible the additional Tonka future D1 bantam kids that year, that could have played up on 90% of the other HS teams in the state. BTW we have the same thing happening again in 2020-21 with a few kids!

Yes indeed, that Deast Lakeville Edina trifecta in 2014-15 was absolutely incredible, along with fact that they didnt exactly love one another. There were a LOT of unrepeatable words on the ice those years when those guys played one another, a couple times I had daughter along and was a little embarrassing. :D

(i still maintain Roseau 2008 , from a dynamic high functioning hockey team perspective, ought to have some recognition, undefeated for 45+- games headed into the CHIP game against the Pios)
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:25 am Need official ruling by Karl:

Must a guy appear in at least one D1 game?

Or is being on the official D1 roster good enough?

Absolutely incredible the additional Tonka future D1 bantam kids that year, that could have played up on 90% of the other HS teams in the state. BTW we have the same thing happening again in 2020-21 with a few kids!

Yes indeed, that Deast Lakeville Edina trifecta in 2014-15 was absolutely incredible, along with fact that they didnt exactly love one another. There were a LOT of unrepeatable words on the ice those years when those guys played one another, a couple times I had daughter along and was a little embarrassing. :D

(i still maintain Roseau 2008 , from a dynamic high functioning hockey team perspective, ought to have some recognition, undefeated for 45+- games headed into the CHIP game against the Pios)
Yeah, the criteria I use are basically the following:
-To count as D-I, a player needs to have hit the ice for at least one game
-To count as being a member of a HS team in a given year, a player needs to either a) be on the 20-man playoff roster, or b) have a significant number of points in the regular season (and presumably be off the playoff roster due to injury or some other reason)

I use those two because it's something we can keep pretty consistent even when looking at older rosters where information might be incomplete. Anyone who looks at the Hub knows the "games played" stats can be pretty dicey, and in the pre-Hub era, we have no games played data, but we do have pretty good rosters historically, including those of every Tourney team going all the way back to the beginning. College stats are better, but even there you see things start to break down as you get back into the 80s.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

karl(east) wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:10 pm -Help a younger guy out: was Blaine and Eden Prairie both going down in the 99 Tourney quarters as big of a deal then as it seems now?
Not really. EP was still considered an up-and-coming program, and it was only their second tournament appearance. That EP team underwhelmed for much of the regular season. They came into state with seven losses, including one to lowly Hopkins, and were the #2 seed in 6AA behind Wayzata. Holy Angels was still building toward their peak a few years later, but it wasn’t a surprise to see the Eagles fall to a very good one-loss team. AHA dominated the final two periods, and the result was never really in doubt.

Blaine had a deep well of talent, but Hendricks, Bochenski, and Frischmon were the only true blue chip guys. Hastings was an offensive juggernaut with Taffe, Dan Welch, Tharp and Gerlach up front. Taffe was a man amongst boys in high school. Blaine was unlucky to be matched up with them and gagged away the game. Welch scored twice in the final minute, and netted the winner with one tick on the clock. Hastings outplayed Blaine for most of the contest, holding 4-1 and 5-2 leads before the Bengals rattled off four straight goals to take the late lead. The whole game was a crazy track meet.