No State Tournament at the X this Spring....

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

spamtownusa

Re: No State Tournament at the X this Spring....

Post by spamtownusa »

As others are saying, I don’t see any bridge season happening... at least through associations. Too much hassle for six weeks. My guess is that games will be delayed until after Jan 1 and cut back to about 15-17. Teams might be formed and allowed to practice some in Dec. Private groups, booster clubs or parents will step in to fill the gap with ice/possibly scrimmages for a few weeks. The big kicker is the Section and State Tourneys... will they happen???
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

spamtownusa wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:22 am As others are saying, I don’t see any bridge season happening... at least through associations. Too much hassle for six weeks. My guess is that games will be delayed until after Jan 1 and cut back to about 15-17. Teams might be formed and allowed to practice some in Dec. Private groups, booster clubs or parents will step in to fill the gap with ice/possibly scrimmages for a few weeks. The big kicker is the Section and State Tourneys... will they happen???
Conferences are holding their own tournaments as "season culminating events" for boys and girls soccer. Perhaps that will be the approach next February / March for hockey as well.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:00 pm Bureaucracy Bureacracy Bureacrazzy

More and more likely :

- exodus to juniors anyone that can make rosters ,
- extended high school elite league season with infrastructure largely in place
- extended blades season with infrastructure largely in place
- new J Gold teams for kids who want to play In that venue
- new additional private leagues
- adhoc unofficial teams/leagues in other selected areas where they have ice and no desire for bureaucracy

Irony - probably almost as many kids (80+%?)playing hockey for almost as long as the usual season

So what was accomplished ?

So a decision made by many have to be the decision of all? Why can’t one league or organization( the MSHSL) stand firm with their decisions and let the other organizations make their own decisions?
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

93- That’s exactly what I’m saying is going to happen . Mshsl delay in their decision and then eventually a delay in the season will trigger off all the subsequent events
HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 »

MSHSL raising their fees to such crazy amounts is ridiculous. How many highly paid administrators have been cut and let go? How much "fluff" do they have for people to do simple tasks for them. Time to really look at this organization and tighten the belt. Do we really need a guy driving a car around and writing stories? I'd think communities could submit articles about their events and traditions and we'd have the same result.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

HSPuckFan96 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:15 pm MSHSL raising their fees to such crazy amounts is ridiculous. How many highly paid administrators have been cut and let go? How much "fluff" do they have for people to do simple tasks for them. Time to really look at this organization and tighten the belt. Do we really need a guy driving a car around and writing stories? I'd think communities could submit articles about their events and traditions and we'd have the same result.
The article states, I believe, they've reduced staff from 23.5 to 19.5 positions.

I don't think there's much more blood to squeeze from the turnip, to be honest. At a point it becomes implausible to run an organization without sufficient staffing. I realize it's fun and easy to blame budget issues on the amorphous and faceless "administrators" that help get things done (who needs a Coordinator of Officials? Oh wait - every athlete, coach, parent and AD in Minnesota!), but they aren't the issue for this budget, this year. These fees are one-offs to cover for "these uncertain times."

The issue right now is the amount of revenue the MSHSL lost or will lose without state tournaments. Their budget reflects the realities of COVID-19 and losing last year's girls basketball championship, boys basketball, and probably this year's state tourneys. I wouldn't equate that with "too many highly paid administrators."
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I am hearing that the MSHSL will revisit their decision to postpone football until the spring. By their earlier decision to postpone football until the spring they allowed a 3 week fall practice to start on Monday.

Games could begin in two weeks, no sections or state but the schools could reasonably have an 8 week season versus a 5 week season in the spring.

With Michigan and Colorado now moving forward with their high school seasons Minnesota becomes even more of an outlier.

As how this relates to hockey..... it clearly would delay the start of the high school season of until at least the week after Thanksgiving to start practice.

Clearly, not every school will play football but I believe more would now than in the “spring” season.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:49 pm I am hearing that the MSHSL will revisit their decision to postpone football until the spring. By their earlier decision to postpone football until the spring they allowed a 3 week fall practice to start on Monday.

Games could begin in two weeks, no sections or state but the schools could reasonably have an 8 week season versus a 5 week season in the spring.

With Michigan and Colorado now moving forward with their high school seasons Minnesota becomes even more of an outlier.

As how this relates to hockey..... it clearly would delay the start of the high school season of until at least the week after Thanksgiving to start practice.

Clearly, not every school will play football but I believe more would now than in the “spring” season.
When will they revisit, at their meeting on the 18th?
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Are you sure about "clearly delay..."
Play Like a Champion Today
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The MSHSL decided during their conference call today to meet Friday
to discuss starting the football season Oct. 2nd.

Schools were allowed to start practice Monday, so the Oct. 2nd date makes sense. I am hearing the most likely outcome if a season happens is a season ending the Friday before Thanksgiving. No playoffs, maybe some regional games to end the season.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

goldy313 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm The MSHSL decided during their conference call today to meet Friday

Schools were allowed to start practice Monday, so the Oct. 2nd date makes sense. I am hearing the most likely outcome if a season happens is a season ending the Friday before Thanksgiving. No playoffs, maybe some regional games to end the season.
What an incredible mess they have created and are still creating.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:57 am
goldy313 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm The MSHSL decided during their conference call today to meet Friday

A big mess indeed. I am interested to see what their decision will be for winter sports. MSHSL seems to be regretting their decision for Fall sports. I would have to believe they are going to make more weighted decisions moving forward.

I also found it interesting, and not at all surprising, that basketball was found to be the sport with the largest amount of confirmed cases since June 1st. Most of the confirmed cases were adults, and the number was not outrageous, but none-the-less. https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... since-june

This after basketball was declared a "low risk" activity. Which I thought was ridiculous. Anyone who has ever watched a basketball game, knows that the amount of close, physical contact is probably higher than any other sport.

Ultimately, Covid or not, I would really enjoy seeing high school sports back in play, and with no parents allowed in the stands. In the end, I think the kids would enjoy it more without mom and dad screaming at them. :D
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Schotzy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 am

A big mess indeed. I am interested to see what their decision will be for winter sports. MSHSL seems to be regretting their decision for Fall sports. I would have to believe they are going to make more weighted decisions moving forward.

I also found it interesting, and not at all surprising, that basketball was found to be the sport with the largest amount of confirmed cases since June 1st. Most of the confirmed cases were adults, and the number was not outrageous, but none-the-less. https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... since-june

This after basketball was declared a "low risk" activity. Which I thought was ridiculous. Anyone who has ever watched a basketball game, knows that the amount of close, physical contact is probably higher than any other sport.

Ultimately, Covid or not, I would really enjoy seeing high school sports back in play, and with no parents allowed in the stands. In the end, I think the kids would enjoy it more without mom and dad screaming at them. :D
OMG...from the article you posted:

Detroit Lakes High School was scheduled to start the school year Monday, Sept. 14, but classes were pushed back a day due to someone in the high school community testing positive for the coronavirus, prompting a decision to start the school year with distance learning.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Basketball was deemed less risky by the governors director in charge of return to play protocols. He is a basketball
Coach. #Imaginethat
Play Like a Champion Today
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

blueblood wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:15 am Basketball was deemed less risky by the governors director in charge of return to play protocols. He is a basketball
Coach. #Imaginethat
To be fair, he's probably been watching a lot of T'Wolves games in recent years and the way they play D is akin to social distancing, so his confusion is understandable.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 am
blueblood wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:15 am Basketball was deemed less risky by the governors director in charge of return to play protocols. He is a basketball
Coach. #Imaginethat
To be fair, he's probably been watching a lot of T'Wolves games in recent years and the way they play D is akin to social distancing, so his confusion is understandable.
:lol: =D>
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

I think they are definitely regretting it. The Data is out on Football. Hundreds of High School games have been played around the Country and there is no evidence of any Community outbreak due to Football. The MSHSL was also sued on Friday for moving Football and Volleyball to the Spring. I wonder how much of a factor that was in their decision to revisit?

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/h ... 3107bc8c27

There will be an announcement shortly from the Big Ten that they are back also. All of this is very good news for Hockey this Winter.
Last edited by Rails Hockey on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Announcement of big 10 football has been made.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:41 am Announcement of big 10 football has been made.
And their season is starting up in late October! https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbre ... 3b61fead22
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Rails Hockey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am

I think they are definitely regretting it. The Data is out on Football. Hundreds of High School games have been played around the Country and there is no evidence of any Community outbreak due to Football. The MSHSL was also sued on Friday for moving Football and Volleyball to the Spring. I wonder how much of a factor that was in there decision to revisit?

There will be an announcement shortly from the Big Ten that they are back also. All of this is very good news for Hockey this Winter.
Agree, but I suppose it's now time to cue the "it's an indoor sport" crowd.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 am
Rails Hockey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am

I think they are definitely regretting it. The Data is out on Football. Hundreds of High School games have been played around the Country and there is no evidence of any Community outbreak due to Football. The MSHSL was also sued on Friday for moving Football and Volleyball to the Spring. I wonder how much of a factor that was in there decision to revisit?

Agree, but I suppose it's now time to cue the "it's an indoor sport" crowd.
Very true. Certainly not out of the woods yet but seems to be trending in the right direction.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

blueblood wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:36 pm Are you sure about "clearly delay..."
The MSHSL will meet Monday at 9am to discuss football returning October 2nd, they have a bylaw requiring 72 hours notice for a meeting to take place, hence setting the meeting from Friday to Monday.

If football does return then that regular season would overlap hockey (and other winter sports) regular season (as previously scheduled but subject to change) The MSHSL doesn’t, generally, overlap regular seasons. Eden Prairie can handle multiple seasons overlapping, Windom probably can’t.
Last edited by goldy313 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

On the other hand, college hockey has been delayed until late November:
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... elayed.php

Not that it is a huge hit to the prospect of completing a reasonably full season, culminating in some form of championship, but it seems like hockey leagues are taking things more slowly than football.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Stang5280 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 pm On the other hand, college hockey has been delayed until late November:

Not that it is a huge hit to the prospect of completing a reasonably full season, culminating in some form of championship, but it seems like hockey leagues are taking things more slowly than football.
I agree that most leagues are taking a careful approach, as they should. I also believe that some of those decisions were made based on what the Fall leagues were doing. I do think college hockey will start right around Thanksgiving for many leagues, if not earlier.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Schotzy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 pm On the other hand, college hockey has been delayed until late November:

I agree that most leagues are taking a careful approach, as they should. I also believe that some of those decisions were made based on what the Fall leagues were doing. I do think college hockey will start right around Thanksgiving for many leagues, if not earlier.
Yes, one thing that college hockey was able to do thanks to patience and having extra time was to make a unified decision, as opposed to the mess that was D1 football. (Though the ECAC will still be messy with several schools delayed through fall semester.)

The main worry I have with the B10 and MSHSL football plans is the compressed time frame and lack of bye weeks to account for cancellations. Hopefully the high school hockey season will have some flexibility built into the proposed schedule.