State Games To Watch Again or For 1st Time

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnmouth

State Games To Watch Again or For 1st Time

Post by mnmouth »

There are many state tournament games I would like to watch over again, including the first game I can remember watching - the '72 championship game between Grand Rapids and International Falls. All I now remember from that contest is the name Peter Waselovich, Falls' goalie.

What's frustrating is there's no way to watch past games, aside from some parts of games or recaps, or the occasional uploaded video of regular season games I don't care about (re: Eden Prairie vs Edina from 2018)

The MSHSL, or KSTP or KMSP - or whatever entity has rights over these games - allow no exploration into the concept. It is as if the tape or video of the game went into a vault to gather dust, never to be seen again.

A few years back, a forum member sent me DVDs of 3 tournament games - 1991 Richfield vs Duluth East, 1995 Jefferson vs Duluth East and 1996 Apple Valley vs Duluth East. He had others, but those were the 3 that I requested at the time.

If I could wave a magic wand over my TV, the first thing I would do is begin zapping past tournament games on to the screen and then allow no one to contact me for about 5 straight days. And I would start with the 1978 final between Edina East and Grand Rapids, a double OT classic that Rapids actually won in the first overtime on a goal that apparently nobody but video replay picked up. There are far, far too many games to recount here, but after the '78 final I would move on to (just for starters):

1967 - Greenway vs Johnson
1968 - Greenway vs South St Paul
1970 - Greenway vs Johnson
1972 - Rapids vs International Falls
1973 - Hibbing vs International Falls, Hibbing vs Alexander Ramsey
1976 - Rapids vs Richfield
1980 - Rapids vs Hill Murray
1982 - Hibbing vs Sibley, Hibbing vs Mariner
1985 - Hibbing vs Hill Murray
1986 - Hibbing vs Hill Murray
1987 - Greenway vs Edina, Greenway vs Bloomington Kennedy
1988 - Warroad vs Edina
1993 - Cloquet vs Moorhead

I'll end here. Time to shut down an already too long post, especially one that is considerably Northern-centric.

- Mouth
greenwayraider

Re: State Games To Watch Again or For 1st Time

Post by greenwayraider »

The 1967 Greenway/Johnson game is on YouTube
chester1991

Post by chester1991 »

mnmouth wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:11 pm There are many state tournament games I would like to watch over again, including the first game I can remember watching - the '72 championship game between Grand Rapids and International Falls. All I now remember from that contest is the name Peter Waselovich, Falls' goalie.

What's frustrating is there's no way to watch past games, aside from some parts of games or recaps, or the occasional uploaded video of regular season games I don't care about (re: Eden Prairie vs Edina from 2018)

The MSHSL, or KSTP or KMSP - or whatever entity has rights over these games - allow no exploration into the concept. It is as if the tape or video of the game went into a vault to gather dust, never to be seen again.

A few years back, a forum member sent me DVDs of 3 tournament games - 1991 Richfield vs Duluth East, 1995 Jefferson vs Duluth East and 1996 Apple Valley vs Duluth East. He had others, but those were the 3 that I requested at the time.

If I could wave a magic wand over my TV, the first thing I would do is begin zapping past tournament games on to the screen and then allow no one to contact me for about 5 straight days. And I would start with the 1978 final between Edina East and Grand Rapids, a double OT classic that Rapids actually won in the first overtime on a goal that apparently nobody but video replay picked up. There are far, far too many games to recount here, but after the '78 final I would move on to (just for starters):

1967 - Greenway vs Johnson
1968 - Greenway vs South St Paul
1970 - Greenway vs Johnson
1972 - Rapids vs International Falls
1973 - Hibbing vs International Falls, Hibbing vs Alexander Ramsey
1976 - Rapids vs Richfield
1980 - Rapids vs Hill Murray
1982 - Hibbing vs Sibley, Hibbing vs Mariner
1985 - Hibbing vs Hill Murray
1986 - Hibbing vs Hill Murray
1987 - Greenway vs Edina, Greenway vs Bloomington Kennedy
1988 - Warroad vs Edina
1993 - Cloquet vs Moorhead

I'll end here. Time to shut down an already too long post, especially one that is considerably Northern-centric.

- Mouth
The 1982 Edina vs Jefferson semifinal game and the Hibbing vs White Bear Mariner games are now on YouTube. Really good stuff!
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

greenwayraider wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:59 pm The 1967 Greenway/Johnson game is on YouTube
I wouldn't mind watching the 1984 quarterfinal game with Johnson and Hill-Murray
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

greenwayraider wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:59 pm The 1967 Greenway/Johnson game is on YouTube
chester1991 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:06 pm
The 1982 Edina vs Jefferson semifinal game and the Hibbing vs White Bear Mariner games are now on YouTube. Really good stuff!
Thanks for cluing me in on these games! The Greenway/Johnson game is indeed on YouTube, but holy s*** is it poor quality. Which brings up my frustration: if the games were released to the public as the original broadcast then, perhaps, we'd have a more watchable product.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The state finals games in '77, '78 and '79 even though I didn't like the end result for 2 of the 3. :P
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:19 am The state finals games in '77, '78 and '79 even though I didn't like the end result for 2 of the 3. :P
Never seen the highlights before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=834f8y3ejVE

Rochester JM over Edina...
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sparlimb wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:22 am
Slap Shot wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:19 am The state finals games in '77, '78 and '79 even though I didn't like the end result for 2 of the 3. :P

Nice. Thanks for sharing.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Sparlimb wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:22 am

This. I think JM had about 13 shots. Listen to the crowd during that game.

I am an unapologetic JM fan so of course I am biased.

As a 30+ year state ticket holder John Marshall and Roseau are the two clear crowd favorites, at the 90% range. Grand Rapids comes in just behind those two. Then you have Lakeville North, people actually cheering for Edina.....
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:59 am As a 30+ year state ticket holder John Marshall and Roseau are the two clear crowd favorites, at the 90% range. Grand Rapids comes in just behind those two. Then you have Lakeville North, people actually cheering for Edina.....
How about Hermantown? :? :wink:
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Meh, A hockey.....outside Luverne I can’t say there is a crowd favorite.
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

Hermantown vs Monticello Maple Lake,
Moose road a packed Xcel crowd to OT in 98, Hermantown came from behind and had a goal called off. One of the greatest modern day games.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

It's fun to hack on Hermantown in A for sure, but I do have to involve them in two games that I've always thought were as entertaining as it gets when it comes to St. Paul:
-2010: Hermantown vs. Mahtomedi. Lots of scoring, the emotion of the waved off goal. First A game I remember where they opened up the upper deck due to not enough seats.
-2013: Hermantown vs. Breck: Back & forth....back & forth. Led to Hermantown getting St. Thomas & losing in the last second, which prompted Plante's tirade, which I personally feel was the beginning of the end for the Hermantown love...
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Doc Holliday wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:30 am It's fun to hack on Hermantown in A for sure, but I do have to involve them in two games that I've always thought were as entertaining as it gets when it comes to St. Paul:
-2010: Hermantown vs. Mahtomedi. Lots of scoring, the emotion of the waved off goal. First A game I remember where they opened up the upper deck due to not enough seats.
-2013: Hermantown vs. Breck: Back & forth....back & forth. Led to Hermantown getting St. Thomas & losing in the last second, which prompted Plante's tirade, which I personally feel was the beginning of the end for the Hermantown love...
That 2013 Breck semifinal game was epic, even though the wrong team prevailed :lol: It was a clean, fast-paced game between two evenly matched sides, and the HT penalty shot in the 2nd OT had to be one of the most stress-inducing moments in tournament history. I was basically expecting a marathon after dodging that bullet, but the Hawks ended things soon after.

That was a weird Breck team where the whole was definitely greater than the sum of the parts. Basically one scoring line led by two future D3 players, and a great goalie ((Henry Johnson), who had some nice run at the D1 level. Chase Ellingson was only a freshman at the time, and had yet to really crack his potential.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Speaking of epic OT games, I found highlights of the 1985 4OT quarterfinal between Jefferson and Minnetonka, the only state tournament game I’m aware of that extended to a second day.

I felt bad for Tonka, since they carried play through the first three OT periods during the evening session (and it was their first trip to state). The Jaguars came out with more jump the next morning. Probably a moot point anyway, as Burnsville would have overwhelmed the Skippers.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

Duckguy13 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:02 pm Hermantown vs Monticello Maple Lake,
Moose road a packed Xcel crowd to OT in 98, Hermantown came from behind and had a goal called off. One of the greatest modern day games.
I think packed Xcel would not be quite accurate. There was not an Xcel in 98 what year?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

SpOilerfan wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Duckguy13 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:02 pm Hermantown vs Monticello Maple Lake,
I think packed Xcel would not be quite accurate. There was not an Xcel in 98 what year?
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

Sorry dumb fingers..it was 2017 :oops:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Stang5280 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:26 pm Speaking of epic OT games, I found highlights of the 1985 4OT quarterfinal between Jefferson and Minnetonka, the only state tournament game I’m aware of that extended to a second day.

I felt bad for Tonka, since they carried play through the first three OT periods during the evening session (and it was their first trip to state). The Jaguars came out with more jump the next morning. Probably a moot point anyway, as Burnsville would have overwhelmed the Skippers.
iirc Tonka split with Burnsville that year during the regular season. However having to play late into Thursday night, get up early Friday morning, see your goalie give up another soft goal and lose a game you dominated might have been too much to overcome. Something similar happened vs. HM in the semis in 2010. grrrr