Transfers 2020-21

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueblood

Re: Transfers 2020-21

Post by blueblood »

Pretty quiet on the transfer blog, especially after the first two days of STP. What’s happening Westy? Where are your sources?
Play Like a Champion Today
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

East Siders are unusually quiet . Must be some drama brewing somewhere ? Who will I be seeing at Aldrich Arena for 4 AA final at end of next Feb? And what surprises on the rosters ?
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Alexandria senior Joe Westland will be leaving the Cardinals and transfering to the Northstar Christian Academy in Alex. He had 14 goals and 17 assists as a junior with the Cardinals.

The Knights also added three Alex players to their first year U16 team.

https://www.therinklive.com/high-school ... U16-roster
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

BSUBeaver wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:45 am Alexandria senior Joe Westland will be leaving the Cardinals and transfering to the Northstar Christian Academy in Alex. He had 14 goals and 17 assists as a junior with the Cardinals.

Ouch, that hurts to lose your second highest returning scorer and a senior leader. It sounds like Westlund is transferring for the right reasons, not just related to hockey, so hopefully things work out for him.

The YHH podcast with new Alex coach Josh Meyers was excellent, and he discussed the symbiotic relationship with NCA (particularly having extra ice available). I wonder if that tune will change if more players continue to leave the Alex program.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:58 pm
BSUBeaver wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:45 am Alexandria senior Joe Westland will be leaving the Cardinals and transfering to the Northstar Christian Academy in Alex. He had 14 goals and 17 assists as a junior with the Cardinals.

Ouch, that hurts to lose your second highest returning scorer and a senior leader. It sounds like Westlund is transferring for the right reasons, not just related to hockey, so hopefully things work out for him.

The YHH podcast with new Alex coach Josh Meyers was excellent, and he discussed the symbiotic relationship with NCA (particularly having extra ice available). I wonder if that tune will change if more players continue to leave the Alex program.
It will be interesting to see what happens now that they are starting a U16 team as well.

And yes, right now it is a nice relationship, but time will tell. It is nice having two sheets of ice available in Alexandria this summer, the auxiliary rink at the RCC and the rink out at NCA.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Lee Smith and Co don’t care..they got the Hopkins goalie! Why y’all scared to call em out?? GD travesty...great coach eh? Str8 BS for Eli...whatever
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BSUBeaver wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:42 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:58 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens now that they are starting a U16 team as well.

And yes, right now it is a nice relationship, but time will tell. It is nice having two sheets of ice available in Alexandria this summer, the auxiliary rink at the RCC and the rink out at NCA.
Will be interesting to see how well this relationship continues.

Alexandria loses its 2nd Leading Scorer and top Returning Senior in Westlund.... However, reading the article North Star Academy also Took 3 kids off of a Very Good Incoming A Bantam group for their new U16 Team the Alex Bantam A goalie, Dman, and the biggest loss the Berg Kid who is the top Young Alex Player in that age group. Tough to absorb losses like that if this becomes a pattern.

North Star Academy also is bringing in some other top kids off small programs in Class A this winter. They are now a very real threat to the HS Model in especially looking at the last 2 years now the rumors I am hearing this year to Class A programs. Nothing against kids for doing it just going to see some big time Class A Seniors to be not on their local teams this winter. Westlund is just one of a few that I have heard.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

edgeless2 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:42 am Lee Smith and Co don’t care..they got the Hopkins goalie! Why y’all scared to call em out?? GD travesty...great coach eh? Str8 BS for Eli...whatever
I thought Hayes was heading to Minnetonka? So did Hayes parents move out of district in order for him to be able to be eligible?
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Not at Tonka.
Play Like a Champion Today
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

edgeless2 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:42 am Lee Smith and Co don’t care..they got the Hopkins goalie! Why y’all scared to call em out?? GD travesty...great coach eh? Str8 BS for Eli...whatever
Is this official?
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

InThePipes wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:18 pm
Is this official?
I guess nothing is official until the young man is actually going to classes but, if participating in Eden Prairie’s STP is any indication, I’d extrapolate there is a pretty solid chance. But I’m sure as a Senior he’s coming for the academics.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

edgeless2 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am
Is this official?
I guess nothing is official until the young man is actually going to classes but, if participating in Eden Prairie’s STP is any indication, I’d extrapolate there is a pretty solid chance. But I’m sure as a Senior he’s coming for the academics.
Yeah, that's a fairly good indication.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Is this official?

Look on the bright side fellas....at least it's not a tendy coming in from Illinois (STA), Colorado (Edina) or Texas (Tonka)...just poaching home grown talent! :D
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:22 pm East Siders are unusually quiet . Must be some drama brewing somewhere ? Who will I be seeing at Aldrich Arena for 4 AA final at end of next Feb? And what surprises on the rosters ?
We're still reveling in getting a title back to the good side of town.

And I come here for transfer news, so evidently not much. I'm still hoping they shut down NTDP for the year and a certain junior comes back to HM. But if we can have hockey here, I don't know why they couldn't have it there...
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

thefatcat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Is this official?

Look on the bright side fellas....at least it's not a tendy coming in from Illinois (STA), Colorado (Edina) or Texas (Tonka)...just poaching home grown talent! :D
Well stated , Cat!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Sparlimb wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:58 pm
WestMetro wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:22 pm East Siders are unusually quiet . Must be some drama brewing somewhere ? Who will I be seeing at Aldrich Arena for 4 AA final at end of next Feb? And what surprises on the rosters ?
We're still reveling in getting a title back to the good side of town.

And I come here for transfer news, so evidently not much. I'm still hoping they shut down NTDP for the year and a certain junior comes back to HM. But if we can have hockey here, I don't know why they couldn't have it there...

Spar - who will Pios face in the 4 AA final?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Sparlimb wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:58 pm I'm still hoping they shut down NTDP for the year and a certain junior comes back to HM.
You lost me
Be kind. Rewind.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Is this official?
I am coming at this from a position of relative ignorance, admittedly. I know the Hopkins goalie is supposedly excellent, though it’s hard to glean much when he’s on such a weak team. But it isn’t like the EP backup from last year is chopped liver, and is it really that big of an upgrade to be worth supplanting a senior? Smith’s excuses about families just happening to move into the district are becoming more laughable.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

thefatcat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Is this official?

On some level I would say that poaching a senior from your downtrodden next-door neighbor looks even worse :wink:
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

O-townClown wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:48 pm
Sparlimb wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:58 pm I'm still hoping they shut down NTDP for the year and a certain junior comes back to HM.
You lost me
I think he meant Pierre, who's actually in the USHL.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

I would think Stillwater would be the favorite to face Hill in the 4AA final with White Bear losing so much to graduation.
Zanon had them playing great hockey at the end of the year including beating Cretin at Highland.

Moundsview could be a dark horse.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Stang5280 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Is this official?
I am coming at this from a position of relative ignorance, admittedly. I know the Hopkins goalie is supposedly excellent, though it’s hard to glean much when he’s on such a weak team. But it isn’t like the EP backup from last year is chopped liver, and is it really that big of an upgrade to be worth supplanting a senior? Smith’s excuses about families just happening to move into the district are becoming more laughable.
In my humble opinion, Hayes is a top 5 goalie in the state despite playing for a bad team. I have seen him play since he was a freshman...he is legit.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

thefatcat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm In my humble opinion, Hayes is a top 5 goalie in the state despite playing for a bad team. I have seen him play since he was a freshman...he is legit.
Thanks for the perspective. The transfer makes more sense from both sides given that level of talent, though it still feels pretty gross.
HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 »

"Look on the bright side fellas....at least it's not a tendy coming in from Illinois (STA), Colorado (Edina) or Texas (Tonka)...just poaching home grown talent! :D"

*Illinois (STA)
For SENIOR YEAR
Entire family move? No
Now gone...

*Texas (Tonka)
For SENIOR YEAR
Entire family move? No
Now gone...

*Hopkins (EP)
For SENIOR YEAR
Entire family move? Unknown
N/A...TBD

*Colorado (Edina) previous team was actually Nashville
For SOPHOMORE YEAR
Entire family move? Yes
Still here...
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Stang5280 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:20 pm
thefatcat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm In my humble opinion, Hayes is a top 5 goalie in the state despite playing for a bad team. I have seen him play since he was a freshman...he is legit.
Thanks for the perspective. The transfer makes more sense from both sides given that level of talent, though it still feels pretty gross.
Oh, it's as gross as it appears. I can't say I blame the kid though, it's tough sledding at Hopkins. I do feel bad for the Andrews kid at EP though.