Scott Perunovich

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jdh

Scott Perunovich

Post by jdh »

Not highschool hockey, but UMD defenseman Scott Perunovich won the Hobey Baker award. Great career with UMD.
rainier2

Re: Scott Perunovich

Post by rainier2 »

Congrats to an incredible player. Too bad Dogs didn't get to make it three in a row. On to St. Louis! 8)
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Congratulations to Perunovich! UMD now has six Hobey winners, two more than Minnesota and Harvard. I was a bit surprised that Peruno won, but he only had five fewer points than Kawaguchi, and has arguably been the most important player in college hockey over the past three seasons.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

I think it’s safe to say that when Perunovich committed to UMD on or about April 1, 2015 it was a turning point in the fortunes of the school that landed him (and in the fortunes of the schools that failed to land him) much more significantly than anyone realized at the time☝️Scotty controlled the pace of play on the ice in every game he played this year & he is a very deserving Hobey Baker award winner 👍 How bout dat Dog! ☝️☝️
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Smiling tonight. The frustration of not knowing whether the Dogs would three-peat is somewhat offset by Scott's award. Much deserved!

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Only chance to see him in person was high school elite league . Was amazed at Incredible vision . While handling the puck , his head was always up even at that young age and looking around 270 degree.

Watching 3 years at Umd on Tv , the thing that struck me - while in the offensive zone he completed more tight space passes than most other defenseman would even ever attempt. Forwards got to be ready for anything when ScorinScott was out there

Will be interesting to see how he fits in at St. Louis someday, I think right now they probably have the biggest defensemen lineup in the NHL
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I started following High School hockey in the early 90s and the best high school hockey player I have ever seen is Mike Crowley. When I saw Scott Perunovich in the elite league I thought he came close.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

He certainly sees more out on the ice than most. He will still be anchoring a pp in the NHL ten years from now.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:13 pm He certainly sees more out on the ice than most. He will still be anchoring a pp in the NHL ten years from now.
Agreed, the pp will be his bread and butter. Tarasenko will probably buy him a Lamborghini at some point, just to say thanks. :D

Scott kept the recent Hibbing-UMD train rolling. Adam Johnson, then Perunovich, and now Jarret Lee and Darian Gotz are joining the Bulldogs next year. 8)
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Watching him play with the puck as long as he did, it always amazed me why other teams didn't just forget about the puck and pummel him every chance they got. Will be interesting to see if his lack of size matters at the next level.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

BodyShots wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:28 pm Watching him play with the puck as long as he did, it always amazed me why other teams didn't just forget about the puck and pummel him every chance they got. Will be interesting to see if his lack of size matters at the next level.
Because his agility on skates was off the charts ☝️I think he will do well as an NHL D, but he needs to be paired with the right partner, a big, physical, strong D, with some offensive ability too. That’s why Nick Wolfe was the perfect partner at tUMD. As I’ve noted before, I think Paranko would be a good partner for Scotty on the Blues
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

hockey59 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:51 pm
BodyShots wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:28 pm Watching him play with the puck as long as he did, it always amazed me why other teams didn't just forget about the puck and pummel him every chance they got. Will be interesting to see if his lack of size matters at the next level.
Because his agility on skates was off the charts ☝️I think he will do well as an NHL D, but he needs to be paired with the right partner, a big, physical, strong D, with some offensive ability too. That’s why Nick Wolfe was the perfect partner at tUMD. As I’ve noted before, I think Paranko would be a good partner for Scotty on the Blues
Exactly. Because
A) You can't hit what you can't catch and,
B) If you do, a 6-5, 230 lb. monster will be coming for you

😀