Role of the Minnesota State High School League

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

FlinFlonBomber

Role of the Minnesota State High School League

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

With what is happening at schools like STA, EP, Hermantown, etc., the state high school league needs to both simplify and tighten the hatch down on transfers to both public and private. Very simply the only way you can transfer is to move to that community and school boundary for both public and private. No matter where you are moving from....Ely, Cloquet, Chicago, Mass. etc. No open enrollment, no getting in before ninth grade, no owning a home in one community and renting an apartment in another, no living in one community and attending a private school in another. Parents would need documentation on file with the MSHSL on the sale of their old dwelling, and the purchase agreement in your new community. No leaving it up to AD's, as some are detailed and diligent and physically go to the residence, and some do not. Somehow / some way we need to bring back the integrity of Minnesota High School Hockey. Thoughts?
GoldenBear

Re: Role of the Minnesota State High School League

Post by GoldenBear »

Unless he is a goalie. That position should be able to do what they want; no questions asked. GB
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

No open enrollment? Talk about a non-starter. Pretty sure Minnesota is the first state to allow.
Be kind. Rewind.
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

Golden Bear....Not sure if you are kidding or referencing STA's Massachusetts goalie addition.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm No open enrollment? Talk about a non-starter. Pretty sure Minnesota is the first state to allow.
You can also add the idea of preventing students from attending private schools in a different community. I’m a bit biased given that I am a private school alumnus, but the public schools in my community were a dumpster fire. You can’t prevent parents from seeking a better education for their children.
Sponge Puck

Post by Sponge Puck »

Agree with you 100 percent FFB!
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

I am 100 percent with you Stang5280 if it is for education. Add a provision then that the kid is not eligible for high school athletics for one year to the date of enrollment. Similar to the college transfer rule. We would soon find out if it was truly for education then.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm I am 100 percent with you Stang5280 if it is for education. Add a provision then that the kid is not eligible for high school athletics for one year to the date of enrollment. Similar to the college transfer rule. We would soon find out if it was truly for education then.
It would be enough to say "not eligible for varsity athletics" for one year. In most sports, and in most circumstances, no freshman is going to make a tangible improvement to a successful team.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm I am 100 percent with you Stang5280 if it is for education. Add a provision then that the kid is not eligible for high school athletics for one year to the date of enrollment. Similar to the college transfer rule. We would soon find out if it was truly for education then.
The college transfer rule will be changing if it passes the NCAA Convention in April (if it is held then). A player may be granted a one time transfer with no penalty if:

(1) receive a release from their previous school
(2) leave their previous school academically eligible
(3) maintain their academic progress at their new school
(4) leave under no disciplinary suspension
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

Thank you BSU! Wasn't aware the NCAA was looking at revamping the transfer rule. My point of the whole thing is the MSHSL has to simplify and yet get rid of all the loop holes. Open enrollment was established for education and high school hockey has made a mockery out of what it was truly intended for......so use the old college transfer rule or put things in place to curb all the BS of players moving around. Something that has a little bite!
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:06 pm Thank you BSU! Wasn't aware the NCAA was looking at revamping the transfer rule. My point of the whole thing is the MSHSL has to simplify and yet get rid of all the loop holes. Open enrollment was established for education and high school hockey has made a mockery out of what it was truly intended for......so use the old college transfer rule or put things in place to curb all the BS of players moving around. Something that has a little bite!
While I agree with you in principle, no matter what you do, it is going to be hard to enforce. The rules are there right now, but all a student has to do is claim they are being bullied, and poof, transfer granted. And you can bet the High School League doesn't want to be dragged into a court case by little Bobby's or little Suzie's parents claiming that the MSHSL is putting their child in danger by making him or her stay at their current school.

And really, as a high school, do you want to fight it if you have a student that does not want to be there?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

FlinFlon, what problem are you trying to solve?
Be kind. Rewind.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

GoldenBear wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 pm Unless he is a goalie. That position should be able to do what they want; no questions asked. GB
:lol:

Goalies are special (always)
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

OTC

Just would like the MSHSL to lower the boom on this transfer BS so the same crap doesn't continue to happen like what happened at STA, EP, Hermantown to name a few. We need to preserve the great community based model we have for generations to come.
defense

Post by defense »

Mshsl did adjust their rules years ago in response to kids transferring every year, it worked. If this gets bad enough, something will happen.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:24 pm OTC

Just would like the MSHSL to lower the boom on this transfer BS so the same crap doesn't continue to happen like what happened at STA, EP, Hermantown to name a few. We need to preserve the great community based model we have for generations to come.
I'll have to re-read. I don't see how your proposed idea affects what Eden Prairie had at all. Unless you are somehow going after Busby for returning.
Be kind. Rewind.
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

OTC

I don't know who Busby is. I am from Duluth and only know that Langenbrunner rented an apartment in Eden Prairie as he still has his permanent place in Moose Lake. Used some lame excuse that he needed to be close to the airport. Couldn't he stay in Cloquet and fly out of Duluth? This is one of my points that the MSHSL needs to stop allowing. (Owning a home in one community, and renting an apartment in another to play at another high school.)
Sponge Puck

Post by Sponge Puck »

O-townClown

Eden Prairie had a few recruits. Plus two kids who left the program and should never have been allowed to return. But again....zero integrity! ZERO! People are bitching about all the kids Hermantown has brought in over the years and they should be. However, Smith has brought in more then anyone over the last fifteen years. So happy both programs got beat!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 pm I am from Duluth
That explains it.

No idea how to answer your question. I let people decide how to live their own lives.
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Sponge Puck wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pmO-townClown

Eden Prairie had a few recruits.
Recruits?

Why all the ire at Eden Prairie only when top programs routinely attract players? Edina, Burnsville, Jefferson, etc.... Wayzata added Clayton Keller's brother and you're upset with Eden Prairie for having kids from Eden Prairie that you don't think should be there? GMAB Not your call.

I think it's cool that HS hockey in Minnesota still attracts players.
Be kind. Rewind.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Kids are so desperate to play MSHSL hockey that they’ll rent apartments and change legal guardianships and we see this as a bad thing? I hate that kids break the spirit of the rule if not the letter of it, but if the alternative is making transfers so restrictive that we start driving kids to AAA and juniors, I’ll settle for a bit of rule bending from the handful of kids who have the talent, means, and desire to do so. There really aren’t that many of them in the grand scheme of things.
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

My belief is that the number of transfers is out of control. If people transfer the right way, purchase homes and become part of the community within their school's boundary, they have taken the right and honest path. However, I just feel all the loopholes need to be closed and the transfer guidelines need to get back to how they were before open enrollment.
BP

Post by BP »

It's getting to where it will be everyone gets one transfer while they are in HS - with no time needed to sit out. After that - if you want to transfer a 2nd time - its a full calendar year. It's coming sooner than later to get rid of the fake apartments, etc.
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

Unfortunately with this possible transfer model, you are going to see high school programs loading up like the NBA in my opinion.
defense

Post by defense »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm Unfortunately with this possible transfer model, you are going to see high school programs loading up like the NBA in my opinion.
No. Not like that. Mshsl has put their clamps on..