Charlie Strobel

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WBLPuck99

Charlie Strobel

Post by WBLPuck99 »

Congrats to him on committing to the University of Minnesota.

I loved the way he plays and his leadership I saw from him in the games against WBL and tourney. Tons of respect for that kid and best of luck to him.

Interesting he's going to the U after his connections to Wisco.
WestMetro

Re: Charlie Strobel

Post by WestMetro »

Congrats Charlie!

Yes WBL, Id say VERY interesting.
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

Tough to recruit nephew when you've already got 4 of his teammates coming?
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

His uncle & dad, Mark & Mike, went to WI. They wanted to play together, and the Gophs would only take Mark.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 pm His uncle & dad, Mark & Mike, went to WI. They wanted to play together, and the Gophs would only take Mark.
I remember that. I can't recall if they had offers going into the tourney or not. But I recall Gophers only offered Mark.

I think this is a smart move by Motzko. Because Charlie is the type of player the Gophers haven't been recruiting lately. A goal scorer and leader for sure, but still a grinder. Will go into the corner and come out with the puck. Look forward to seeing him in the future on the team.
jdh

Post by jdh »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:00 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 pm His uncle & dad, Mark & Mike, went to WI. They wanted to play together, and the Gophs would only take Mark.
I remember that. I can't recall if they had offers going into the tourney or not. But I recall Gophers only offered Mark.

I think this is a smart move by Motzko. Because Charlie is the type of player the Gophers haven't been recruiting lately. A goal scorer and leader for sure, but still a grinder. Will go into the corner and come out with the puck. Look forward to seeing him in the future on the team.
Will he play juniors first or is he another Sammy Walker?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

jdh wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 amWill he play juniors first or is he another Sammy Walker?
Strobel is listed as a 20-21 commit, so presumably a season of juniors. Motzko has stressed that he wants the Gophers to be older, so that would make sense.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:00 am I think this is a smart move by Motzko. Because Charlie is the type of player the Gophers haven't been recruiting lately. A goal scorer and leader for sure, but still a grinder. Will go into the corner and come out with the puck. Look forward to seeing him in the future on the team.
I couldn't agree more. Win the battles and you win the war.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:20 pmMotzko has stressed that he wants the Gophers to be older, so that would make sense.
There also won't be much in the way of departures from running out of eligibility or signing a pro contract.
Be kind. Rewind.
reg dunlop

Post by reg dunlop »

Pride of the East Side. It will be exactly what MN needs.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

reg dunlop wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:53 pm Pride of the East Side. It will be exactly what MN needs.
Lol a kid from the mansions in Still/Woodbury area probably isn't the pride of the "East Side" meaning ESTP, but I hope he represents the east metro well for the Gophers!
Browniemagoo

Post by Browniemagoo »

Great interview on “Beyond the Pond” today.
WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 »

Bonin2121 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:09 pm
reg dunlop wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:53 pm Pride of the East Side. It will be exactly what MN needs.
Lol a kid from the mansions in Still/Woodbury area probably isn't the pride of the "East Side" meaning ESTP, but I hope he represents the east metro well for the Gophers!
I ended up hoping for Hill to win the state tournament in the end after the QFs were done. I would like to see the east metro get back in the championship game more regularly. A lot of good hockey players over here. Looks at the youth rankings and you see a much better East/West/North split than you do at the high school level.
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:20 pm
jdh wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 amWill he play juniors first or is he another Sammy Walker?
Strobel is listed as a 20-21 commit, so presumably a season of juniors. Motzko has stressed that he wants the Gophers to be older, so that would make sense.
Isn't 20-21 this coming Fall?
Falcon_hockey

Post by Falcon_hockey »

It looks like Strobel will be joining the Gophers for the 21-22 season. I don't know where he will be playing his junior hockey next season.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

tourneytickssince59 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:59 am
Stang5280 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:20 pm
Isn't 20-21 this coming Fall?
Ha, I’m getting so old that I don’t even realize what year it is anymore! I just looked at Elite Prospects, so that was probably just preliminary information until they have confirmation.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Elite Prospects should not be used as a source for when players will enter college.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Very happy for Charlie, and looking forward to seeing him in maroon & gold.

Charlie was a total stud in the postseason this year. I've always said that you need a player or two to take over games and score big goals, and Charlie did that all post-season.

-He got them on the board with a huge goal against WBL in the section finals, when Hill was down 2-0 late in the 2nd period and needed a spark. He provided that spark. He also assisted on the short-handed game winner

-He scored the first goal against Moorhead early in the 1st period at State, setting the tone for that entire game and probably relieving some stress in that game by jumping out to an early lead. He also had an assist on a goal when the game was still relatively close.

-He scored the game winner against STA in OT to send hill to the championship game.

-He scored two goals and had an assist in the championship game against EP. This includes an assist on the all-important first goal of a game.

I will happily admit that I didn't have the time this year to follow Hill or HS hockey has much as I would have liked. But from everything I saw of him this year, he was the epitome of what a captain, senior and leader of a team should be. He was humble in his interviews, and understood the weight of Hill's history and his own family history in this tournament. Yet he didn't shrink from that spotlight. He rose to the occasion. Super impressed with that young man, and wish him nothing but success moving forward. He did everyone proud!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Bonin2121 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:53 pmElite Prospects should not be used as a source for when players will enter college.
I understand the timing on when to bring kids in is fluid. Is Heisenberg the best source? That's where I'd look.
Be kind. Rewind.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:41 pm
Bonin2121 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:53 pmElite Prospects should not be used as a source for when players will enter college.
I understand the timing on when to bring kids in is fluid. Is Heisenberg the best source? That's where I'd look.
Heisenberg just lists commitments by birth year, and unfortunately doesn’t list projected enrollment. I wish there was a good centralized resource for that.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Stang5280 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pmHeisenberg just lists commitments by birth year, and unfortunately doesn’t list projected enrollment. I wish there was a good centralized resource for that.
Look again. It's column C.
Be kind. Rewind.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Any person guessing at time of enrollment and posting it is just guessing. Heck, the coaches, are still making decisions about incoming class after the hockey season--many moving parts. You really don't know until summer session starts as some/most incoming freshman will enroll in summer school classes. Obviously kids that have aged out of juniors (99's) are automatics. GB
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

GoldenBear wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:59 amAny person guessing at time of enrollment and posting it is just guessing.
Projections are made all the time in life. Fan sites that track individual programs often keep a board tracking the pipeline of recruits, as do college teams themselves.

If there's a better place to quickly get a sense for whether a player is most likely to arrive in 2020, 2021, or 2022 I'll use that. Until then, Heisenberg.
Be kind. Rewind.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Agree. Best guess out there is Heisenberg. GB
defense

Post by defense »

As a Gopher fan. I am not mad at this
Otter Hockey Rocks