Recruiting 2020-21 Season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

StanleyCup55

Recruiting 2020-21 Season

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Can we start team go fund me pages to donate to their recruiting budgets? Would like to donate to see some of the old teams good again like South St Paul, Mpls SW, Kennedy be good again
defense

Re: Recruiting 2020-21 Season

Post by defense »

How about something fresh, like Park Rapids?? Nice area to live in. Good vacation spots etc.
Otter Hockey Rocks
puckluck

Post by puckluck »

This year more than ever brings into question if MN hockey is really a homegrown product. So many questionable transfers and move ins. Two stars of tourney are move ins from other states for senior year (STA Aitken and EP Steeves). MN hockey has a branding problem. Might as well let SSM play in high school league since no one can say it’s about “community” hockey anymore. It’s about recruiting and getting around MSHSL transfer rules to get an edge.
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

I will be honest. I am starting to “go to the other side.”

I understand it would be very tough to be a kid or have a kid that worked hard all his life to have his spot taken by someone moving in for a year. But on the flip side, as a fan, there are a lot of positives for obvious reasons. And think about it, what are the other options?

If you are a kid at a smaller school that maybe lacks talent equal to yours. It makes sense to play everyday with players at a high level as that makes you better. You can transfer to a good HS team or go to juniors. There are 3 options and only 2 make sense. As a person that loves the tourney and enjoys going to games throughout the year, I want more ways for these guys to stay in HS.

For players moving in state, similar idea. We have way better resources and talent for kids to get better. We should embrace it as we get to enjoy watching them and they make the product we love, better.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I think MSHSL should either allow all of it or none of it. I see Eden Prairie had a kid that had to sit out until the end of January and play JV and others come in no problem.Keep in mind if we allow all of it we have created AAA hockey and eliminated high school hockey but it should not be decided by how much money you have for a lawyer or who you know or if the school officials go by the rules or not.
kniven

Post by kniven »

puckluck wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 pm This year more than ever brings into question if MN hockey is really a homegrown product. So many questionable transfers and move ins. Two stars of tourney are move ins from other states for senior year (STA Aitken and EP Steeves). MN hockey has a branding problem. Might as well let SSM play in high school league since no one can say it’s about “community” hockey anymore. It’s about recruiting and getting around MSHSL transfer rules to get an edge.
I couldn’t have said it better. It’s 2020 high school hockey in Minnesota. Greed has crept in become bigger than community. Young hockey players throughout our are going to start seeing this, along with their parents. It’s a really nice option. Soon they will be coming here in droves.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

But it’s not a new phenomena. Been going on for forty plus years up on the border with a window factory & “Summer Santa.” The metro folks just appear to be better at talent assessment.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

How about this. We have a free agent list that gets formed in say March or whenever and kids can put their name out there on this list and be contacted all they want, but you have to be on the list to have it happen. Then at least it’s 100% transparent to all and all teams can try their best sales pitch. The player could list their five top schools and those schools could do their best to get kid to pick them. The day decisions have to be made we could have live broadcasts from YHH with Karl, Tony, and others commenting on the choice and the kid can put on the hat of the team he chooses. That could be fun viewing.

No more under the table stuff at elite leagues, coaches sending letters, or players becoming secret transfers.

Thoughts
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

You just described the Transfer Portal and Signing Day.
Be kind. Rewind.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Yes. Do it like when top recruits sign to a college. Except it would be out hockey kids. All out in the open. And if a school takes a kid off the free agent list they must move to AA hockey?
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Can't wait until we see PeeWees announcing who they signed to play high school with!
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

There would have to be a certain age requirements. The kids who are high school age who are interested in transferring go on a free agent list. Kids who are bantams might want to go to a different high school, just saying then it is all out in the open.

Ely kid wants to play elsewhere. They announce that they will not be playing for Ely next year. From there he can pick a few schools he would like to play for. It is out in the open with no mystery. The Ely school knows not to plan to have them next year and everyone knows the kid is interested in a new school. Kids have a day they have to decide by. All out in the open.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:37 am There would have to be a certain age requirements. The kids who are high school age who are interested in transferring go on a free agent list. Kids who are bantams might want to go to a different high school, just saying then it is all out in the open.

Ely kid wants to play elsewhere. They announce that they will not be playing for Ely next year. From there he can pick a few schools he would like to play for. It is out in the open with no mystery. The Ely school knows not to plan to have them next year and everyone knows the kid is interested in a new school. Kids have a day they have to decide by. All out in the open.
Kind of like “The Decision” ~ I’m taking my talents to ___________.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:17 am How about this. We have a free agent list that gets formed in say March or whenever and kids can put their name out there on this list and be contacted all they want, but you have to be on the list to have it happen. Then at least it’s 100% transparent to all and all teams can try their best sales pitch. The player could list their five top schools and those schools could do their best to get kid to pick them. The day decisions have to be made we could have live broadcasts from YHH with Karl, Tony, and others commenting on the choice and the kid can put on the hat of the team he chooses. That could be fun viewing.

No more under the table stuff at elite leagues, coaches sending letters, or players becoming secret transfers.

Thoughts
I realize you posted this tongue-in-cheek, well, maybe not, but I would actually like to see something like this, with a twist. I'd like to see a transfer portal and a one time transfer exemption allowed for any player cut from their HS team and allowed to transfer to another program that carries an "at risk" designation. It would allow players to continue their hockey careers, if they choose, and it would bolster some struggling programs with the numbers they need. It would probably also cut down on the number of co-ops too. More viable programs, more kids getting to extend their playing careers, and instead of focusing on the top of the pyramid we're focusing on its base and giving more kids opportunities to participate. Might need to move HS tryouts to August prior to the school year for something like this to work.

It's actually something that could be expanded across all HS sports and activities. Yes, school should be about going to school to get an education and not playing sports, however, studies show that kids who are involved in sports and extracurriculars are engaged kids that achieve better grades. In fact, that gets beat over our heads in commercials on Prep 45 during the tournament. I see it as a win/win for everybody.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

SCBlueLiner wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:22 am
Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:17 am How about this. We have a free agent list that gets formed in say March or whenever and kids can put their name out there on this list and be contacted all they want, but you have to be on the list to have it happen. Then at least it’s 100% transparent to all and all teams can try their best sales pitch. The player could list their five top schools and those schools could do their best to get kid to pick them. The day decisions have to be made we could have live broadcasts from YHH with Karl, Tony, and others commenting on the choice and the kid can put on the hat of the team he chooses. That could be fun viewing.

Thoughts
I realize you posted this tongue-in-cheek, well, maybe not, but I would actually like to see something like this, with a twist. I'd like to see a transfer portal and a one time transfer exemption allowed for any player cut from their HS team and allowed to transfer to another program that carries an "at risk" designation. It would allow players to continue their hockey careers, if they choose, and it would bolster some struggling programs with the numbers they need. It would probably also cut down on the number of co-ops too. More viable programs, more kids getting to extend their playing careers, and instead of focusing on the top of the pyramid we're focusing on its base and giving more kids opportunities to participate. Might need to move HS tryouts to August prior to the school year for something like this to work.

It's actually something that could be expanded across all HS sports and activities. Yes, school should be about going to school to get an education and not playing sports, however, studies show that kids who are involved in sports and extracurriculars are engaged kids that achieve better grades. In fact, that gets beat over our heads in commercials on Prep 45 during the tournament. I see it as a win/win for everybody.
In theory this sounds good, but what about the kid that no longer has a spot that is already at said school? Team that is on the small side of co-op that no longer has a team because enough kids "transferred in" but not enough for their own team? I like the direction you are going and agree with what it would accomplish, but there could be negatives as well. It would have to have so many "rules" in place to prevent abuse, which of course MSHSL would police!
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

But the point would be it would all be out in the open. A certain school couldn’t say we are small town hockey because everyone would know where players are coming from. No more suspicions, undercover moving, etc. the kids at the school where people move in know what their little Johnny’s chances are to be first liners.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

MWS coach wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:36 am
SCBlueLiner wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:22 am

Thoughts

In theory this sounds good, but what about the kid that no longer has a spot that is already at said school? Team that is on the small side of co-op that no longer has a team because enough kids "transferred in" but not enough for their own team? I like the direction you are going and agree with what it would accomplish, but there could be negatives as well. It would have to have so many "rules" in place to prevent abuse, which of course MSHSL would police!
So if the program established itself as a co-op prior to tryouts they would only be able to take in enough transfers to fill out an entire JV and Varsity roster, so 40 spots (36 skaters, 4 goalies). Any number they are short at the end of tryouts they are able to take in as transfers but no players who attend school that tryout could be bumped (example, 36 showed up at tryouts, they can accept 4 transfers). Long term goal would break up co-ops and have a HS field their own team. Admittedly, this works best in high population areas with multiple schools in an area. A good example that comes to mind is a metro school like Richfield.

Just spitballing ideas here.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

A thread below has been locked for some reason. If anyone knows about steps taken by MSHSL related to the allegations directed toward St. Thomas please share. Or if you can confirm it being a non-story because rules have been followed that too.
Be kind. Rewind.
smhockey77

Post by smhockey77 »

Mite-dad wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:56 am Can't wait until we see PeeWees announcing who they signed to play high school with!
Hahaha...love this one. Top Notch
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:53 pm A thread below has been locked for some reason. If anyone knows about steps taken by MSHSL related to the allegations directed toward St. Thomas please share. Or if you can confirm it being a non-story because rules have been followed that too.
Which thread are you referring to? I don't see it?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:53 pm A thread below has been locked for some reason. If anyone knows about steps taken by MSHSL related to the allegations directed toward St. Thomas please share. Or if you can confirm it being a non-story because rules have been followed that too.
Not a non-story, but one that takes time to work through the process. Kind of a moot point now. If there’s determined to be an ineligible player not much to do now. Strip their section title and void the 4th place finish.
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

Puckguy19 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:10 pm
Not a non-story, but one that takes time to work through the process. Kind of a moot point now. If there’s determined to be an ineligible player not much to do now. Strip their section title and void the 4th place finish.
the dude who started that thread you are referring to was obviously impacted directly by the two kids playing for STA. MSHL By-Laws aren't perfect and are full of words like..."Intent" that is really hard to prove; I may have a home in Chicago but intend to move to MN; I may be divorced/legally separated; I may have another sibling in High School who is not a minor (18yr), who wants to stay in Chicago. There are a lot of variables and unknowns that should not be speculated on in these forums.

Minnesotan's love boasting about the the quality of their youth/HS hockey and the success of community based programs but for some reason get bent out of shape when others want to participate--A victim of your own success. The MSHL continues to loose top players to juniors. I don't have a problem with high caliber players from out of state coming in to fill the void. You can't stop people from moving into MN.... and you can't prevent them from playing varsity sports --"MN come for the hockey, stay for the education"
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

arcticpurple wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:11 am
Puckguy19 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:10 pm
the dude who started that thread you are referring to was obviously impacted directly by the two kids playing for STA. MSHL By-Laws aren't perfect and are full of words like..."Intent" that is really hard to prove; I may have a home in Chicago but intend to move to MN; I may be divorced/legally separated; I may have another sibling in High School who is not a minor (18yr), who wants to stay in Chicago. There are a lot of variables and unknowns that should not be speculated on in these forums.

Minnesotan's love boasting about the the quality of their youth/HS hockey and the success of community based programs but for some reason get bent out of shape when others want to participate--A victim of your own success. The MSHL continues to loose top players to juniors. I don't have a problem with high caliber players from out of state coming in to fill the void. You can't stop people from moving into MN.... and you can't prevent them from playing varsity sports --"MN come for the hockey, stay for the education"
Um, no. There are not any of these variables that you speak of. It's all Black and White. I've read the rules several times and the word "intent" is not in there and plays no role whatsoever with the rules. Nothing about siblings staying home either. The entire family has to move, period. Divorce does play a role. You are allowed one transfer during High School to go live with another parent who resides in another District if your parents are divorced. That is the only part of your post that makes any sense.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I think there's a bit of hyperbole with this topic happening here. I don't like seeing transfers as much as anyone and thought what EP did this year was pretty gross given they have one of the largest enrollments in the state, but for people to act like community based hockey is gone is laughable. Even EP's roster was dominated by home grown players. Therefore talk of, "all or nothing" is a non-starter because neither option is every going to happen.

If anything work could be done to make the regulations more black and white and perhaps a bit more strict, but the genie is out of the bottle folks. Meanwhile whatever community you're from if they are still fielding a team than it's probable most of the kids lacing up are from that community.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:34 am I think there's a bit of hyperbole with this topic happening here. I don't like seeing transfers as much as anyone and thought what EP did this year was pretty gross given they have one of the largest enrollments in the state, but for people to act like community based hockey is gone is laughable. Even EP's roster was dominated by home grown players. Therefore talk of, "all or nothing" is a non-starter because neither option is every going to happen.

If anything work could be done to make the regulations more black and white and perhaps a bit more strict, but the genie is out of the bottle folks. Meanwhile whatever community you're from if they are still fielding a team than it's probable most of the kids lacing up are from that community.
It cracked me up, that on the hockey hub write up of the championship game, one guy in the comments was going off on HM for recruiting nationally. When it turned out this year, that EP was the national team. I believe HM had one kid from Wisconsin (Keopple). They happened to be more community based than EP. Anyway, the point is, you guys are right. The genie is out of the bottle. Kids will move for opportunities. So all we can hope for is that it makes for better hockey.