Sparlimb

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Sparlimb

Post by Jeffy95 »

Congrats on your team winning. You’re the first Hill fan that I’ve ever liked. When you told me that you were six rum and Coke’s in last night that sealed it for me. Coming into the tourney I had two goals. Hermantown and EP lose. I didn’t expect that Hill would be part of the equation but it is what it is. Those boys were fun to watch and I’m happy for you. You’re a good guy, and that’s what’s it’s all about. Congrats to the Hill-Murray Pioneers. If you told me 20 years ago that I would ever say that, I would have said that would never happen.
kniven

Re: Sparlimb

Post by kniven »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:15 pm Congrats on your team winning. You’re the first Hill fan that I’ve ever liked. When you told me that you were six rum and Coke’s in last night that sealed it for me. Coming into the tourney I had two goals. Hermantown and EP lose. I didn’t expect that Hill would be part of the equation but it is what it is. Those boys were fun to watch and I’m happy for you. You’re a good guy, and that’s what’s it’s all about. Congrats to the Hill-Murray Pioneers. If you told me 20 years ago that I would ever say that, I would have said that would never happen.
Definitely! A job well done by Hill-Murray, and a superfan named sparlimb 👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Thank you sir. It took a lot of patience by my wife tonight, and really the last 3 days. But for as tentative as we played last night, we really kicked a$$ tonight. We don't have many big wins against EP. And a 4-7 records in championship games isn't the greatest. But I get it, we're a private school and no one feels sorry. No matter the team you cheer for, its fun to see them come through. Especially in a game most thought we'd lose. I appreciate the kind words.

And living in Southern Cal wine country, it was two bottle of solid red wine tonight. :lol: :lol:
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:22 pm Thank you sir. It took a lot of patience by my wife tonight, and really the last 3 days. But for as tentative as we played last night, we really kicked a$$ tonight. We don't have many big wins against EP. And a 4-7 records in championship games isn't the greatest. But I get it, we're a private school and no one feels sorry. No matter the team you cheer for, its fun to see them come through. Especially in a game most thought we'd lose. I appreciate the kind words.

And living in Southern Cal wine country, it was two bottle of solid red wine tonight. :lol: :lol:
You went from six rum and Coke’s to two full bottles of red? I can appreciate that diversity. Maybe you Hill fans aren’t that different from us common men? 😉
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Sparlimb, being a HM fan, you have to know Jake Guentzel the Pittsburgh Penguins star, played at HM. His dad, Mike grew up in my hometown of Marble in Greenway country. I used to drop the Mpls. Sun. Tribune on the doorstep of Mike's parents' house when I was a young buck.
Mike was a great player for Greenway in the 80s & now scouts for the Phoenix Coyotes. I saw him at the HM- Hermantown game earlier this year. First time I'd ever been at the fabled Aldrich Arena.
Congratulations to HM, I voted for them in the forum poll. They were the more determined team tonight.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

raidergrad72 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:47 pm Sparlimb, being a HM fan, you have to know Jake Guentzel the Pittsburgh Penguins star, played at HM. His dad, Mike grew up in my hometown of Marble in Greenway country. I used to drop the Mpls. Sun. Tribune on the doorstep of Mike's parents' house when I was a young buck.
Mike was a great player for Greenway in the 80s & now scouts for the Phoenix Coyotes. I saw him at the HM- Hermantown game earlier this year. First time I'd ever been at the fabled Aldrich Arena.
Congratulations to HM, I voted for them in the forum poll. They were the more determined team tonight.
We were happy to have the Guentzel's send their kids to HM. They were always a treat to watch. I'll tell you this. Hill was won 4 titles. They've been the favorite once in those years (1983 they went undefeated). They've had other teams that have been top ranked and fallen short, which any fan of high school hockey knows well. It's funny. I grew up a NSP fan. My brother was varsity goalie there his junior and senior years. I watched them beat White Bear Mariner in the section finals (after upsetting HM) in 1981 and then lose to Mariner in 1982 (also upsetting HM). That year Mariner was runner-up. Then my dad, who was a referee back in the day, took me to the championship game in 1983. I got to see HM win, having no idea I was going there 3 years later. That's when I fell in love with the pageantry of it all. The kids playing, the fans, the parents, the school colors, the cheerleaders. Fun times. I think '81 was the first tourney I remember running home from the bus to watch. Ono and Bloomington J.

Anyway, favorite Guentzel memory. One year, someone else can give the year, we played Holy Angels during the season. They were #1 most of the season and likely won the title that year. We were #2. They came to Aldridge to play the game. Gophers played a day game that day and I remember Mike Guentzel on the post game interview saying he was going to rush to Aldridge to see the game. I showed up for the jv game to get seats. My brother made it in the 3rd period of the jv game. My dad, who I invited, later texted and said he couldn't get within 5 blocks of the arena. So he just went back home. Holy Angels was the better team but Hill ended up tying them that night in a fun game. It was 6 or 7 deep in the standing room areas. I love that about high school games.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:01 pm
raidergrad72 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:47 pm Sparlimb, being a HM fan, you have to know Jake Guentzel the Pittsburgh Penguins star, played at HM. His dad, Mike grew up in my hometown of Marble in Greenway country. I used to drop the Mpls. Sun. Tribune on the doorstep of Mike's parents' house when I was a young buck.
We were happy to have the Guentzel's send their kids to HM. They were always a treat to watch. I'll tell you this. Hill was won 4 titles. They've been the favorite once in those years (1983 they went undefeated). They've had other teams that have been top ranked and fallen short, which any fan of high school hockey knows well. It's funny. I grew up a NSP fan. My brother was varsity goalie there his junior and senior years. I watched them beat White Bear Mariner in the section finals (after upsetting HM) in 1981 and then lose to Mariner in 1982 (also upsetting HM). That year Mariner was runner-up. Then my dad, who was a referee back in the day, took me to the championship game in 1983. I got to see HM win, having no idea I was going there 3 years later. That's when I fell in love with the pageantry of it all. The kids playing, the fans, the parents, the school colors, the cheerleaders. Fun times. I think '81 was the first tourney I remember running home from the bus to watch. Ono and Bloomington J.

Anyway, favorite Guentzel memory. One year, someone else can give the year, we played Holy Angels during the season. They were #1 most of the season and likely won the title that year. We were #2. They came to Aldridge to play the game. Gophers played a day game that day and I remember Mike Guentzel on the post game interview saying he was going to rush to Aldridge to see the game. I showed up for the jv game to get seats. My brother made it in the 3rd period of the jv game. My dad, who I invited, later texted and said he couldn't get within 5 blocks of the arena. So he just went back home. Holy Angels was the better team but Hill ended up tying them that night in a fun game. It was 6 or 7 deep in the standing room areas. I love that about high school games.
I had to smile when you talk about 6-7 deep at the Holy angels game. Reminds me of the great rivalries we had with (then) region 7 teams up north. Before they installed artificial ice at the West Range Arena ( now Hodgins-Berardo) in Coleraine, frost used to drip off the rafters for a sold-out Hibbing, Grand Rapids, Eveleth, I-Falls etc. game. Fire code? What fire code? Just sell tickets! They'd throw the garage door at one end of the rink open at -30! Lots of mysterious brown bottles being passed around & plenty of smoke.

My wife & I get up to a few games a year. Fun to bs with the locals & classmates win or lose. Just like last year at the state tournament when we finally got past Hermantown to get here. Too bad we couldn't win one more but still a blast to be there.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

This is great stuff Spar. It’s your night. Keep it coming..,,,,,,
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

raidergrad72 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 pm

I had to smile when you talk about 6-7 deep at the Holy angels game. Reminds me of the great rivalries we had with (then) region 7 teams up north. Before they installed artificial ice at the West Range Arena ( now Hodgins-Berardo) in Coleraine, frost used to drip off the rafters for a sold-out Hibbing, Grand Rapids, Eveleth, I-Falls etc. game. Fire code? What fire code? Just sell tickets! They'd throw the garage door at one end of the rink open at -30! Lots of mysterious brown bottles being passed around & plenty of smoke.

My wife & I get up to a few games a year. Fun to bs with the locals & classmates win or lose. Just like last year at the state tournament when we finally got past Hermantown to get here. Too bad we couldn't win one more but still a blast to be there.
I’ve been to “almost” every Arena in the state and the snake pit will always be my favorite. It doesn’t get much better for watching a game.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Cool night tonight for Hill and Poeschel at Mahtomedi. Pretty sure he was Hills goalie in 1980 championship game.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm Cool night tonight for Hill and Poeschel at Mahtomedi. Pretty sure he was Hills goalie in 1980 championship game.
https://www.hmpioneers.net/hockey/seaso ... ?Year=1980

You got that right.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:53 pm
grindiangrad-80 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm Cool night tonight for Hill and Poeschel at Mahtomedi. Pretty sure he was Hills goalie in 1980 championship game.
https://www.hmpioneers.net/hockey/seaso ... ?Year=1980

You got that right.
Congrats to the entire Hill Family.
hm88

Post by hm88 »

That was 2006 - Gabe Guentzels senior year. Pioneers returned to the X in a double OT victory over Da Bears after a 3 year drought from the tourney. Lost to Grand Rapids and Patrick White in the semifinals that year. Cretin won it all (Holy Angles lost in the sections that year I believe).
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Spar is already in bed, he drank two bottles of Red! I’m enjoying the Hill history though, so please keep it coming! I heard earlier that Hill has played in the Snake Pit. Have they played in Hibbing Memorial, Miners in Virginia, the Hipp? The old barn in Crookston, Roseau, Warroad? Would love to hear the stories! Where has Hill been?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

hm88 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:34 am

That was 2006 - Gabe Guentzels senior year. Pioneers returned to the X in a double OT victory over Da Bears after a 3 year drought from the tourney. Lost to Grand Rapids and Patrick White in the semifinals that year. Cretin won it all (Holy Angles lost in the sections that year I believe).
@hm88 How GR ever beat that HM team is beyond me still to this day. They (HM) were a loaded hockey club. Upset special of the tournament and indicator of how tough it is to get the 3 tough wins to relish in championship celebration. Enjoy it boys, well earned in 2020!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:25 am
hm88 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:34 am

@hm88 How GR ever beat that HM team is beyond me still to this day. They (HM) were a loaded hockey club. Upset special of the tournament and indicator of how tough it is to get the 3 tough wins to relish in championship celebration. Enjoy it boys, well earned in 2020!
Rapids goalie was on fire that night. They played so well. And then got run by Cretin the next night. Its funny, because I was so despondent over Hill losing that I decided I wasn't going to use my tickets for the next night. So I called my dad, who was a Cretin grad and asked if he and my mom wanted to go. So they went and got to see what had to be a lot of fun for the Cretin alumni. Things work out in weird ways. But that was definitely a hard year. Thought we had a great chance to win it all, but a hot goalie ended those thoughts. Which we all know happens all the time.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:33 am Spar is already in bed, he drank two bottles of Red! I’m enjoying the Hill history though, so please keep it coming! I heard earlier that Hill has played in the Snake Pit. Have they played in Hibbing Memorial, Miners in Virginia, the Hipp? The old barn in Crookston, Roseau, Warroad? Would love to hear the stories! Where has Hill been?
When I was young, many moons ago, Hill didn't go north much to play teams. They played Duluth East once a year for a long time and that was about it.

Looking back now. In the 60's, they played some teams I didn't know. St. John's Prep, Duluth Morgan Park, Archbishop Brady (must have been a St. Paul team, I'm guessing). In 1970 they played back to back games with Fort Frances, Ontario. in Dec of '71, they played Greenway up at West Range Arena (so not the snake pit???) and Rapids the next night at the IRA. In January of 1978 they played back to back at Hibbing and International Falls (both 6-5 wins for Hill), so they did make it up north occasionally. Jan 1979 they played up at Cloquet.
northwoods oldtimer

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:00 am
Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:33 am Spar is already in bed, he drank two bottles of Red! I’m enjoying the Hill history though, so please keep it coming! I heard earlier that Hill has played in the Snake Pit. Have they played in Hibbing Memorial, Miners in Virginia, the Hipp? The old barn in Crookston, Roseau, Warroad? Would love to hear the stories! Where has Hill been?
When I was young, many moons ago, Hill didn't go north much to play teams. They played Duluth East once a year for a long time and that was about it.

Looking back now. In the 60's, they played some teams I didn't know. St. John's Prep, Duluth Morgan Park, Archbishop Brady (must have been a St. Paul team, I'm guessing). In 1970 they played back to back games with Fort Frances, Ontario. in Dec of '71, they played Greenway up at West Range Arena (so not the snake pit???) and Rapids the next night at the IRA. In January of 1978 they played back to back at Hibbing and International Falls (both 6-5 wins for Hill), so they did make it up north occasionally. Jan 1979 they played up at Cloquet.
@Sparlimb West Range Arena is now Hodgins Berardo Arena, Coleraine, MN
Affectionately known to all as the "The Snake Pit".
How many years has Hill teams made the trek up to Rapids for the scrimmage games in early November? Seems like a good 20 years now. Always a very nice early test for the kids from the north. If the pace can go both ways it is usually a good sign the local boys will field a competitive team.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:11 am

How many years has Hill teams made the trek up to Rapids for the scrimmage games in early November? Seems like a good 20 years now. Always a very nice early test for the kids from the north. If the pace can go both ways it is usually a good sign the local boys will field a competitive team.
Gotcha, they just changed the name on me. I'm disappointed I didn't get to more games up north. I really should have. Hill's also been playing Moorhead for I'd guess 20 some years in the last game of the season. I love when they play any of those teams (and they always give us a tough game).
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Oh yes, I recall that 1 vs. 2 epic at Aldrich with Holy angels. Hill had the better of them, then one defenseman made a mistake right near the Hill goal, & someone pounced on it. So it nded as a tie.

Those teams were far better than everyone else that year. It looked like they'd meet at the for sure. Then Holy angles got dumped in the section semi. Was it by apple Valley? The winning coach said they knew they had to do it before they got to the big sheet at Mariucci.

So the field looked pretty clear for Hill, more so with Cretin already in the final. That 3rd period against GR was SO frustrating. So many shots on goal, so many chances. It was a brutal loss.

I, too, skipped out on the championship that year. My some wanted to watch at home, so I walked up to the local pub with the early Sunday newspaper, and had a beer. I tried to avoid looking at the TV. When the bartender asked if I wanted another, I asked him how much time was left in the game.

Great to hear of those games against North St. Paul & Mariner. The rivalry with NSP was every bit as intense as the one with WB, but it ended suddenly & quietly.

I recall during the '83 season talking my old man into taking my buds & I up to Hibbing to see them take on the Blue Jackets. It was a beat down, 6 - 0 I think. Then at the 0:00, Hill goalie Tim Galash raises his hands and moves out of the crease. One of the Blue Jackets shoots the puck in the net, and stripes signals goal. Terry Skrypek pointed it out to stripes, but flippin' Range homer stripes said, "You won. So what?" Skry said the kid earned a shut out.
Hockey Is For Everyone
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:25 am Oh yes, I recall that 1 vs. 2 epic at Aldrich with Holy angels. Hill had the better of them, then one defenseman made a mistake right near the Hill goal, & someone pounced on it. So it nded as a tie.

Those teams were far better than everyone else that year. It looked like they'd meet at the for sure. Then Holy angles got dumped in the section semi. Was it by apple Valley? The winning coach said they knew they had to do it before they got to the big sheet at Mariucci.

So the field looked pretty clear for Hill, more so with Cretin already in the final. That 3rd period against GR was SO frustrating. So many shots on goal, so many chances. It was a brutal loss.

I, too, skipped out on the championship that year. My some wanted to watch at home, so I walked up to the local pub with the early Sunday newspaper, and had a beer. I tried to avoid looking at the TV. When the bartender asked if I wanted another, I asked him how much time was left in the game.

Great to hear of those games against North St. Paul & Mariner. The rivalry with NSP was every bit as intense as the one with WB, but it ended suddenly & quietly.

I recall during the '83 season talking my old man into taking my buds & I up to Hibbing to see them take on the Blue Jackets. It was a beat down, 6 - 0 I think. Then at the 0:00, Hill goalie Tim Galash raises his hands and moves out of the crease. One of the Blue Jackets shoots the puck in the net, and stripes signals goal. Terry Skrypek pointed it out to stripes, but flippin' Range homer stripes said, "You won. So what?" Skry said the kid earned a shut out.
Very cool that Sparlimb gets his own thread, a more deserving guy there ain't. My favorite Sparlimb story is from many years ago, when he had to miss the rest of the Schwan's Cup after Hill lost in the first round and he gave me his tickets for the rest of the tourney. I picked them up from his wife, who worked at the same place I do, but in a different department, and she said, "You know, he'll tell you that he wasn't mad that Hill lost--but he was." The guy bleeds green that's for sure, but the great thing about him is that he's not obnoxious about it--in fact, he's quite the opposite. It's always fun going to a game with him and texting back and forth during sections and State, the guy cracks me up all the time.

I was at that Holy Angels-Hill classic too, with Sparlimb actually, who had saved me a seat as was his wont (and for which I probably haven't thanked him enough). It was as good a regular season game as I've ever seen and the thing I remember about it was how good AHA's power play looked, they were moving the puck around like an NHL team. It's too bad we didn't get a rematch at the tourney that year, but that's the way the puck rolls sometimes.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

NWOT just turned on the phone so thanks for helping out the Spar man on the name change and nickname for my beloved Greenway home ice arena.
If you guys are interested Google " MN. Hockey rinks story on TPT." Story about a book w/ pics of a lot of town & school rinks around the state. You'll see a pic of Hodgins-Berardo in there.
This has been a fun conversation guys. Hope to have a cup of coffee with you all sometime. :D
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

ChrisK wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:27 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:25 am Oh yes, I recall that 1 vs. 2 epic at Aldrich with Holy angels. Hill had the better of them, then one defenseman made a mistake right near the Hill goal, & someone pounced on it. So it nded as a tie.

Very cool that Sparlimb gets his own thread, a more deserving guy there ain't. My favorite Sparlimb story is from many years ago, when he had to miss the rest of the Schwan's Cup after Hill lost in the first round and he gave me his tickets for the rest of the tourney. I picked them up from his wife, who worked at the same place I do, but in a different department, and she said, "You know, he'll tell you that he wasn't mad that Hill lost--but he was." The guy bleeds green that's for sure, but the great thing about him is that he's not obnoxious about it--in fact, he's quite the opposite. It's always fun going to a game with him and texting back and forth during sections and State, the guy cracks me up all the time.

I was at that Holy Angels-Hill classic too, with Sparlimb actually, who had saved me a seat as was his wont (and for which I probably haven't thanked him enough). It was as good a regular season game as I've ever seen and the thing I remember about it was how good AHA's power play looked, they were moving the puck around like an NHL team. It's too bad we didn't get a rematch at the tourney that year, but that's the way the puck rolls sometimes.
When I think of NSP I think of Craig Sarner from their 60s teams.
chester1991

Post by chester1991 »

I think of Bret Hedican

Sparlimb, How many players from that 1982 NSP team went on to.play Division 1? I believe it was 4.
northwoods oldtimer

raidergrad72 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:32 pm

NWOT just turned on the phone so thanks for helping out the Spar man on the name change and nickname for my beloved Greenway home ice arena.
If you guys are interested Google " MN. Hockey rinks story on TPT." Story about a book w/ pics of a lot of town & school rinks around the state. You'll see a pic of Hodgins-Berardo in there.
This has been a fun conversation guys. Hope to have a cup of coffee with you all sometime. :D
After Sparlimb's 3 straight nights of after parties it would have to be coffee. :lol:
We got that book for Christmas absolute treasure to leaf through all the pictures of Minnesota rinks. Great photography!