Mahtomedi vs Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Mahtomedi
52%
Hermantown
48%

Total votes: 23

HSPuckFan

Re: Mahtomedi vs Hermantown

Post by HSPuckFan »

ndirishfighting wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:22 am Mahtomedi you recruit and won you better opt up to AA.
I hope we do.There's nothing to suggest we couldn't compete every year in 4AA.
Go Zephyrs
defense

Post by defense »

HSPuckFan wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:22 am
ndirishfighting wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:22 am Mahtomedi you recruit and won you better opt up to AA.
I hope we do.There's nothing to suggest we couldn't compete every year in 4AA.
Very close on enrollment.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Jpb15

Post by Jpb15 »

50in15 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:36 am Congrats to mahtomedi and what a win!!!

In regards to Hermantown, it is becoming comedic with the teams that did not win the big one. I still can’t believe it. The karma police is working at all times.

This may have been mentioned in other posts but did anyone else listen to Hermantown coach on 45 after the SCC fight as well as interview on Beyond The Pond this morning? What coach says what he said? My jaw dropped! What a punk program. The hated is well deserved.
Where can I listen/watch the beyond the pond interview you’re referring to?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

In regards to Hermantown, it is becoming comedic with the teams that did not win the big one. I still can’t believe it. The karma police is working at all times.

This may have been mentioned in other posts but did anyone else listen to Hermantown coach on 45 after the SCC fight as well as interview on Beyond The Pond this morning? What coach says what he said? My jaw dropped! What a punk program. The hated is well deserved.
Can you paraphrase what he said?
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

Jpb15 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:47 am

Where can I listen/watch the beyond the pond interview you’re referring to?
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-beyo ... -58844676/

Interview starts at the 33:00 mark.
defense

Post by defense »

After the scrum it was something like : reporter: can you tell us about your conversation with SCC coach. HTown coach: he said we are kicking their butts and our guy took a run at your guy, he apologized, very classy of him.

Not exact wording, but to that affect
Otter Hockey Rocks
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Thanks for sharing the link. I guess I assumed when asked the question the next day, a coach would say something to the effect of “things got a little out of hand there. I told our guys to not lose your cool and focus on winning this game and getting to the championship.”

He said SCC was taking liberties, we defended ourselves, and it was fun. Accepted no responsibility for any part of it.
Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater »

It’s a hockey scrum, big deal. People complain when coaches interview and say all the correct PC things and a few cliches. When a coach speaks his mind the little people get their undies in a wad.
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Valid point Yoop. I guess I was just suprised that he pretty much put all blame on the opponent and not his team
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

A belated congratulations to Mahtomedi on their title. These Zephyrs lived up to all of those old cliches about a team that becomes more than a sum of its parts, and after many years of frustration there, the coaching staff deserves a lot of credit for coming up with a winning scheme. It's rare to find a Class A team that has the depth and talent to run effective shutdown defense against a barrage of front-line talent for 51+ minutes, but they found a way. Dardis is the obvious hero, but there's plenty of praise to go around, and despite the lopsided shots, they put together a lot of quality chances in transition. I'm not too shocked to see a lower seed win AA, but the fact that someone other than Hermantown, Cathedral, or Warroad won Class A is a good sign for the competitiveness of Class A--even if it's a bit premature to call it a "golden age" in which the 1A, 3A, and 5A entrants can consistently compete with the powerhouses.

As for the Hawks, their performance goes to show just how hard it is to win a title, even in Class A. In some of their other recent upset losses, I found grounds for criticism in aspects of their game plan or performance; yesterday, it's hard to pick out much other than the occasional halfhearted backcheck. They played their game, but sometimes that isn't enough against a gifted goalie and a disciplined opponent. There was a stretch in the 2nd period where they started giving up semi-regular odd-man rushes the other way and things could've gotten out of hand, but eventually they reined it back in and plugged away and found a way to tie it up in dramatic fashion. Backstrom also had a great day in goal despite the small number of shots he faced. Sometimes the hockey gods just aren't on a team's side.
defense

Post by defense »

Awesome game
Otter Hockey Rocks
PuckOff

Post by PuckOff »

karl(east) wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:30 pm A belated congratulations to Mahtomedi on their title. These Zephyrs lived up to all of those old cliches about a team that becomes more than a sum of its parts, and after many years of frustration there, the coaching staff deserves a lot of credit for coming up with a winning scheme. It's rare to find a Class A team that has the depth and talent to run effective shutdown defense against a barrage of front-line talent for 51+ minutes, but they found a way. Dardis is the obvious hero, but there's plenty of praise to go around, and despite the lopsided shots, they put together a lot of quality chances in transition. I'm not too shocked to see a lower seed win AA, but the fact that someone other than Hermantown, Cathedral, or Warroad won Class A is a good sign for the competitiveness of Class A--even if it's a bit premature to call it a "golden age" in which the 1A, 3A, and 5A entrants can consistently compete with the powerhouses.

As for the Hawks, their performance goes to show just how hard it is to win a title, even in Class A. In some of their other recent upset losses, I found grounds for criticism in aspects of their game plan or performance; yesterday, it's hard to pick out much other than the occasional halfhearted backcheck. They played their game, but sometimes that isn't enough against a gifted goalie and a disciplined opponent. There was a stretch in the 2nd period where they started giving up semi-regular odd-man rushes the other way and things could've gotten out of hand, but eventually they reined it back in and plugged away and found a way to tie it up in dramatic fashion. Backstrom also had a great day in goal despite the small number of shots he faced. Sometimes the hockey gods just aren't on a team's side.
It was a great game. I think Htown was a little slower in this game. They probably had the toughest quarter final in Monticello. The Moose had speed, just not the depth. But they made the Hawks work. The semifinal with SCC could have been the championship if they were in different brackets. The speed and physical play was extraordinary. Though SCC took themselves out of position too often by going for a big hit. Overall I thought the play in the other bracket seemed slower and more tactical, but that doesn't always work well against fast, skilled teams like Htown or SCC. JMO. Zephyrs to advantage of the opportunities they were given. They adjusted to the way the game was officiated, and they battled and came out victorious.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Team and community outlasted skill and hired guns!
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
PuckOff

Post by PuckOff »

Hunters1993 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:51 pm Team and community outlasted skill and hired guns!
Does Mahtomedi have move ins/ transfers? Just wondering because of their proximity to the cities.
defense

Post by defense »

PuckOff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:51 pm Team and community outlasted skill and hired guns!
Does Mahtomedi have move ins/ transfers? Just wondering because of their proximity to the cities.
Nice. I do not know. But wondered
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

Yes they do
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

tourneytickssince59 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:43 am
Yes they do
And those move ins are...?