The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pekyman

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by pekyman »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:10 pm With the Hermantown-Mahtomedi matchup, now 35 of the last 42 participants in the Class A title game are from metro areas. The founders of Class A are rolling in their graves. :?
I talked with many parents from the Hibbing 2010-11 state team and they had absolutely nothing good to say about the Hibbing hockey program.
They really hammered on the almost non-existent summer program and noted how physically Hermantown manhandled Hibbing. The Hibbing program has been troubled for 10 years now and counting and it is not Hermantown's fault. By the way, the Hermantown team that beat you in the 2011 state semi's was all Hermantown kids. Open enrollment players did not hit HS team was in 2011-12.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

pekyman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:18 pm
rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:10 pm With the Hermantown-Mahtomedi matchup, now 35 of the last 42 participants in the Class A title game are from metro areas. The founders of Class A are rolling in their graves. :?
I talked with many parents from the Hibbing 2010-11 state team and they had absolutely nothing good to say about the Hibbing hockey program.
They really hammered on the almost non-existent summer program and noted how physically Hermantown manhandled Hibbing. The Hibbing program has been troubled for 10 years now and counting and it is not Hermantown's fault. By the way, the Hermantown team that beat you in the 2011 state semi's was all Hermantown kids. Open enrollment players did not hit HS team was in 2011-12.
With the Hibbing program is disarray and the Red Plan in Duluth (Closing Central, etc.) all happening in 2011, is it any wonder Hermantown got a flood of open enrollment students. The vast majority of these kids were not Hockey players and the ones that were definitely did not need to be recruited. The Duluth Public Schools are still a mess and Hibbing seems to be also. The recruiting thing is just a joke. Hermantown doesn't need to recruit.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

norcon wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:05 pm
Edinahopkins wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:49 pm I could care less about the enrollment. All that matters is how many kids are currently Playing in your program the range schools including Grand Rapids are the same. both field a A team of some kind and a B team. So what’s your excuse now.
Exactly!
From each associations own website:

GR: 427 total players
Hibbing: 235 total players

Not surprising, given GR's enrollment is double that of HIbbing.
Last edited by rainier2 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

10 D1 players and 2 NHL players, a state 4th place finish, and a top 3 and top 10 in A, all over the last decade. The only way anyone could say that is a "troubled program" is if they compare it to a program that sandbags in A and goes to state title game every year.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

pekyman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 pm
With the Hibbing program is disarray and the Red Plan in Duluth (Closing Central, etc.) all happening in 2011, is it any wonder Hermantown got a flood of open enrollment students. The vast majority of these kids were not Hockey players and the ones that were definitely did not need to be recruited. The Duluth Public Schools are still a mess and Hibbing seems to be also. The recruiting thing is just a joke. Hermantown doesn't need to recruit.
Yeah, no recruiting. Other than the Hermantown board meeting where Hermantown people complaining about the rampant recruiting at youth levels was discussed. Or the letter sent to a top Hibbing player letting him know the Hermantown youth program would welcome a player like him. Or the invitation for area players to go play with Hermantown kids in the summer, leading to the Virginia kid transferring. Yep, no recruiting. :oops:
defense

Post by defense »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:33 pm
pekyman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 pm

Yeah, no recruiting. Other than the Hermantown board meeting where Hermantown people complaining about the rampant recruiting at youth levels was discussed. Or the letter sent to a top Hibbing player letting him know the Hermantown youth program would welcome a player like him. Or the invitation for area players to go play with Hermantown kids in the summer, leading to the Virginia kid transferring. Yep, no recruiting. :oops:
I can see possibly one of these examples as over the line and that depends on circumstances. The other two seem like there needs to be more to the story before I get my pitchfork out. And not sure how an HS team can be faulted for something that maybe a youth parent or might have done. This has probably been discussed earlier so take for what is, but in these examples.. not sure I see a sure bet "problem". Putting together summer hockey leagues or skate arounds, board meetings about a subject.. neither I would be concerned with as an outsider. A letter kind of concerns me, but maybe it was instigated by the player or player's parent.
Otter Hockey Rocks
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 pm
10 D1 players and 2 NHL players, a state 4th place finish, and a top 3 and top 10 in A, all over the last decade. The only way anyone could say that is a "troubled program" is if they compare it to a program that sandbags in A and goes to state title game every year.
You boys are like Ali and Frazier going at it lol.
Cage match! I am going with rainier2. :lol: Pekyman your team sandbags. Move to AA for God sake's your program is one of best in state.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:52 pm

Cage match! I am going with rainier2. :lol: Pekyman your team sandbags. Move to AA for God sake's your program is one of best in state.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to peky, he has said many times he supports Hermantown going to AA. (Despite defending them aggressively and insulting other 7A programs even more aggressively.)
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:57 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to peky, he has said many times he supports Hermantown going to AA. (Despite defending them aggressively and insulting other 7A programs even more aggressively.)
Thank you for clarifying that and I wish nothing but the best for Hibbing.
You gotta support the North boys in the ship tomorrow right?
It will just give you more Ammo!😂
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

pekyman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Thank you for clarifying that and I wish nothing but the best for Hibbing.
You gotta support the North boys in the ship tomorrow right?
It will just give you more Ammo!😂
Oh, I'll pull for the Hawks, but only because the more trophies they stack, the worse they look and the more scorn they'll receive. :twisted:
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Sorry Hawks fans, I was watching the big boys playing hockey. You boys enjoy your little game tomorrow.

RIP Class A hockey
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Sorry Hawks fans, I was watching the big boys playing hockey. You boys enjoy your little game tomorrow.

RIP Class A hockey
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

People always ask how many Non-Hermantown kids are on their team and you hear a bunch of speculation, blither, yarn-spinning, etc. So I thought it might be helpful if we just laid it all out so people don't have to speculate anymore.

9 Gavin Blomdahl - F 10th - Gavin open-enrolls from Denfeld. He has never lived a day of his life in Hermantown School District.
C
10 Zach Kilen - F 12 - Zach came from Virginia his Senior year. Family did not move, Dad has same job for US Steel and Mom works for Virginia School District. They got him a fake address so that he would be eligible.

14 Cole Antcliff F 11 - Cole open-enrolls from Proctor. He has never lived a day of his life in the Hermantown School District.

16 - Drew Sams - D 12 - Drew started out playing for CEC. Moved to Hermantown for the guaranteed trip to State.

18- Joey Pierce - D 11 - We all know Joey. Moved to Hermantown to play Hockey.

24- Ethan Lund - F 11 Moved to Hermantown from Hayward, Wisconsin for the guaranteed trip to State. Mom and Dad both still work in Wisconsin. No move for job involved here, whatsoever.

25 - Chase Sams - F 10 - See above for brother. Moved for Hockey

32 - Jacob Backstrom - G 12 - Started out playing for CEC - Hermantown can't/won't develop Goalies, so they recruit them. Their Youth Program has been going after every goalies in the area for years. They got this one, and almost got Walsh last year. Do not be surprised if Walsh ends up there next year. He will be at the Summer Skates!

37 - Zach Carson - D 12 - Open-Enrollee from Denfeld and a Stalwart on their Blue Line this year. Zach has never lived a day of his life in the Hermantown School District.
Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey »

Wow, 48 pages? I got through 6 of them and thought I would skip to the end. As a guy who has watched a lot of our kids go over there for the guaranteed trip to state, this obviously hits home. I don't make very many posts on here, but if you're going to take all of these players from outside of your school district, how bout moving up and playing the other teams that do that?

Don't rob Peter so you can kick the PLEASE BAN ME out of Peter.

If you want to rob Peter, then go and try to kick the PLEASE BAN ME out of Paul.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Again we have more epilogue material for A hockey funeral

Thanks guys it will be beautiful with these heart filled posts about how great Hermantown hockey is and how the rest are you know

RIP A hockey
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Just like I was saying earlier how fans let Andrews and Clark take the heat in the fire line while all Hermantown hockey fans enjoy their trophies and have no intent to ever move up. And never have had any intention of moving.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

pekyman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 pm Won’t matter it is Hermantown and then everybody else in class A hockey

RIP A Hockey
Maybe in West Duluth and Hibbing, but the not in the rest of the state.

Tell that to one of the largest crowd that ever attending the Class A semi finals.

By the way Hunter, you are hardly the definition of a Class A school.
And the lowly Herman(Denfeld,Ely,Virginia,Hayward)town team played with the opposition for two games now and there was never any doubt of a victory, must be nice to play two state tourney games and have had no opposition. Weren’t those teams metro teams? And running time tomorrow. That should be really special!
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

STA's third title in a row = [-X
Herm's 10th final = :-$ and :-#
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

defense wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:19 pm Stephen Argyle must have come close.. all those prep bowls. But that's football. Different.
How about Denfeld? What needs to be done?
They could have used a Power Forward and a Stud Blue Liner this year. Maybe a Gavin Blomdahl and Zach Carsons, who actually live in the Denfeld School District? Either way, Denfeld will be good for the next two years. But if Hermantown has any weaknesses, they will just bring them in like they have for the last 10 years. That's why nobody will ever beat that team.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:52 am
pekyman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 pm Won’t matter it is Hermantown and then everybody else in class A hockey

RIP A Hockey
Maybe in West Duluth and Hibbing, but the not in the rest of the state.

Tell that to one of the largest crowd that ever attending the Class A semi finals.

By the way Hunter, you are hardly the definition of a Class A school.
And the lowly Herman(Denfeld,Ely,Virginia,Hayward)town team played with the opposition for two games now and there was never any doubt of a victory, must be nice to play two state tourney games and have had no opposition. Weren’t those teams metro teams? And running time tomorrow. That should be really special!
Why do you keep leaving Proctor out of your Acronym? Nobody has lost more players to Hermantown than Proctor.

Wyatt Aamodt, D1 player, lived in the Proctor School District his whole life. Dylan Samberg - UMD and NHL draft pick, lived in the Proctor School District his whole life. And so many more kids...….
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:58 am STA's third title in a row = [-X
And what did St Thomas do after they made three finals in a row? What did Hermantown do after they made eight straight c-chips?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 am
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:58 am STA's third title in a row = [-X
And what did St Thomas do after they made three finals in a row? What did Hermantown do after they made eight straight c-chips?
Sorry will add Proctor for now on.
Herm(Proctor,Ely,Denfeld,Hayward, Virginia)

Please let me know if I forget your school being stripped of your best player during this run.
kniven

Post by kniven »

I’ve been involved with CEC youth and high school hockey since 09-10. I’ve never heard of the CEC kids you have mentioned. I am aware Walsh almost played for Hermantown this year. Hermantown will be very good next year and probably go to state again. I sure hope we don’t lose our goalie. But if he chooses to play his junior year and senior year for Hermantown....that’s his choice. Playing in 7AA is very difficult.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

kniven wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:13 am I’ve been involved with CEC youth and high school hockey since 09-10. I’ve never heard of the CEC kids you have mentioned. I am aware Walsh almost played for Hermantown this year. Hermantown will be very good next year and probably go to state again. I sure hope we don’t lose our goalie. But if he chooses to play his junior year and senior year for Hermantown....that’s his choice. Playing in 7AA is very difficult.
I have not added Cloquet yet. I am sure Walsh will be that much better trained and with the Hermy powder he will do amazing things I’m sure.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Hunters1993 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 am
Well STA eventually moved up, Herm didn't. I think that's why we ought to cheer for Mahtomedi! 8) :mrgreen: \:D/
I can splash in the rink puddles!