7AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheNightman »

Edinahopkins wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm I think Andover wins Thursday but I have doubted Elk River before, I also think both teams make it back to the final again next year also.
Rapids should be the best team in the section next year.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Edinahopkins wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm I think Andover wins Thursday but I have doubted Elk River before, I also think both teams make it back to the final again next year also.
Really? Elk River loses Humphrey, Michaelis and Koziol among their 7 seniors, but with the majority of their roster returning, they will at least be seasoned. However, Andover loses 15 seniors. That's a lot of turnover to deal with.
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

I believe Andover is going to reload with decent jv and bantam players coming in, its most likely a very bold statement on Elk River. As for Grand Rapids I took the time to reflect and Grand Rapids has had two awful teams the last few years it made me think a decent team was way better then it really was so I can tell you this , Grand Rapids is not going to be the best team in the section next year, When peart leaves early and he is 50% of the Thunderhawks offense and besides that who’s going to play in net a sophomore that’s not very good plus the one thing that’s never going to change up front forward wise is Grand Rapids can’t score they are equally decent but no super star talent that can go score when you need them to and Saturday proved a point That this group has never won a big game in playoffs and I don’t see it happening and besides that Grand Rapids has a awful bantam team below them so not going to get any help from the sophomores. cloquet probably stays about the same , Duluth East I suppose should be back in the running so probably most likely make it back to the semifinals if not finals.
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

mnmouth wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm
Really? Elk River loses Humphrey, Michaelis and Koziol among their 7 seniors, but with the majority of their roster returning, they will at least be seasoned. However, Andover loses 15 seniors. That's a lot of turnover to deal with.
Elk River played on a regular basis 1- Freshman, 7- Sophs, 3- Juniors and 5- Senior skaters and the Goalie. The team had one senior quit around the holidays who played D. Losing 9, 10 and 35 will definitely be some big shoes to fill for next season but the ER cupboard is not bare by any means. I won't make any predictions but I like what I am seeing. A lot of experience can be gained by playing these extra games in the section playoffs that most people figured ER would be one and done.I believe that ER's future is extremely bright. The great thing about this team is the improvement they have made as the season has gone on and are playing their best hockey right now. Andover is playing great as well so hopefully it makes for a great game Thursday night at Amsoil!!
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

Edinahopkins wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm I believe Andover is going to reload with decent jv and bantam players coming in, its most likely a very bold statement on Elk River. As for Grand Rapids I took the time to reflect and Grand Rapids has had two awful teams the last few years it made me think a decent team was way better then it really was so I can tell you this , Grand Rapids is not going to be the best team in the section next year, When peart leaves early and he is 50% of the Thunderhawks offense and besides that who’s going to play in net a sophomore that’s not very good plus the one thing that’s never going to change up front forward wise is Grand Rapids can’t score they are equally decent but no super star talent that can go score when you need them to and Saturday proved a point That this group has never won a big game in playoffs and I don’t see it happening and besides that Grand Rapids has a awful bantam team below them so not going to get any help from the sophomores. cloquet probably stays about the same , Duluth East I suppose should be back in the running so probably most likely make it back to the semifinals if not finals.
I ran out of breath reading this.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

While I’m pretty sure Andover wins Thursday...I’m very skeptical about Andover making the Section Final in 2021☝️They graduate two D who are better than any D they’ve ever had in the history of their program, along with a boat load of senior forwards, in particular Kron, Thoreson & Jones. Not saying they’ll be lousy next year, but they won’t be anything like this years team. In contrast, GR was a year away. Now if Peart goes to the USHL, that will really hurt them next season. DE will be decent & so will ER. Maybe we just focus on Thursday (for now) 😉 :D
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

hockey59 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:11 pm
While I’m pretty sure Andover wins Thursday...I’m very skeptical about Andover making the Section Final in 2021☝️They graduate two D who are better than any D they’ve ever had in the history of their program, along with a boat load of senior forwards, in particular Kron, Thoreson & Jones. Not saying they’ll be lousy next year, but they won’t be anything like this years team. In contrast, GR was a year away. Now if Peart goes to the USHL, that will really hurt them next season. DE will be decent & so will ER. Maybe we just focus on Thursday (for now) 😉 :D
Yes, take it one game at a time. =D>
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Don’t quite understand this , they both have jinxes up there , Elk with more

https://mobile.twitter.com/zschneider21 ... 6852957189
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:22 pm Don’t quite understand this , they both have jinxes up there , Elk with more

My understanding is Fogerty is booked Thursday night with some sort of Junior game...and there really isn’t any other North metro rink with enough seating & available on such short notice. Amsoil will work out fine 👍
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Thanks 59. Just weird they couldn’t have moved a fogarty event to SuperRink or BP for example .
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

Could've the HB is St. Cloud been an option?
45 Min away for Elks, 1 hour away for Huskies........
I suppose Amsoil was already booked and paid for?
WDIO influence?-and the boys get the Erbert and Gerberts discount for the bus ride home :)
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

muckandgrinder65 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:25 pm Could've the HB is St. Cloud been an option?
45 Min away for Elks, 1 hour away for Huskies........
I suppose Amsoil was already booked and paid for?
WDIO influence?-and the boys get the Erbert and Gerberts discount for the bus ride home :)
I don’t think Andover would have agreed to play the 7AA final on an Olympic size ice sheet, (HB in St Cloud) since that’s the size of ER’s home rink while Andover plays on an NHL size rink (at home) plus everything was already set & paid for at Amsoil Thursday, & then there’s the WDIO tv factor too & 7AA wants that revenue.☝️
Fightinghawklover

hockey59 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:59 pm
WestMetro wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:22 pm Don’t quite understand this , they both have jinxes up there , Elk with more

My understanding is Fogerty is booked Thursday night with some sort of Junior game...and there really isn’t any other North metro rink with enough seating & available on such short notice. Amsoil will work out fine 👍
The section 5A final is at Fogerty on Thursday night.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Didn’t know that, thanks ☝️
Fightinghawklover

hockey59 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:06 pm Didn’t know that, thanks ☝️
👍
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Section 8 guy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.
Why East? Their bantam team is alright but I don't see them being much better than this year.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

TheNightman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Section 8 guy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.
Why East? Their bantam team is alright but I don't see them being much better than this year.
I'd say they'll bounce back because they had 3 freshman playing varsity, and another 6 playing JV, so may be why their bantam team is only alright. Also had 9 sophomores playing JV, so all these kids will be a year older and have a chance to get bigger stronger faster and compete for a section title next year
gitter

Post by gitter »

GopherHockey wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:40 pm
Edinahopkins wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm I believe Andover is going to reload with decent jv and bantam players coming in, its most likely a very bold statement on Elk River. As for Grand Rapids I took the time to reflect and Grand Rapids has had two awful teams the last few years it made me think a decent team was way better then it really was so I can tell you this , Grand Rapids is not going to be the best team in the section next year, When peart leaves early and he is 50% of the Thunderhawks offense and besides that who’s going to play in net a sophomore that’s not very good plus the one thing that’s never going to change up front forward wise is Grand Rapids can’t score they are equally decent but no super star talent that can go score when you need them to and Saturday proved a point That this group has never won a big game in playoffs and I don’t see it happening and besides that Grand Rapids has a awful bantam team below them so not going to get any help from the sophomores. cloquet probably stays about the same , Duluth East I suppose should be back in the running so probably most likely make it back to the semifinals if not finals.
I ran out of breath reading this.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

bardown27 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 am
I'd say they'll bounce back because they had 3 freshman playing varsity, and another 6 playing JV, so may be why their bantam team is only alright. Also had 9 sophomores playing JV, so all these kids will be a year older and have a chance to get bigger stronger faster and compete for a section title next year
Was the JV team good?
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

TheNightman wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 am

Was the JV team good?
No idea, but being that young you'd think there would be some growth. DE BAA team is usually not very good, because the top freshman always get pulled up to HS.
norcon

Post by norcon »

Sounding a bit like Kniven 😳. You’ve been praising them the last few weeks, just like a lot us Rapids faithful and now this...WOW! Clafton will be tough to replace, no doubt about that, but they do have a bantam goalie coming up who is quite good and what I really like about him is he’s overall a very good athlete. Not just a hockey player. Not losing much else from that senior class. Murphy put up a few points, but the rest will replaced by better players. Next years junior and senior classes are very solid. Defensive corps could be one of the best in the state (I believe Peart will be back). Three good forward lines with DelGreco and Demars leading the way. There is a lot of upside to this group and I really like their chances of getting back to state.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

^^ I agree. It would be a surprise if Peart leaves. Most pieces return and I think he (the team) would want a shot at redemption for the early playoff loss this year.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Six freshman on JV? Unless they are not Bantam eligible, that seems to make little sense from a development perspective. The competition may be slightly better, but you’re playing half the number of games.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Maybe they chose that path for better coaching and/or financial reasons?