7AA Semifinal II: Elk River vs Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who ya got?

Elk River
21%
Grand Rapids
79%

Total votes: 42

Joe2015

Re: 7AA Semifinal II: Elk River vs Grand Rapids

Post by Joe2015 »

raidergrad72 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:49 pm
Joe2015 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:29 pm
norcon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:22 pm
It was definitely in. Replay clearly showed that most if not all of the puck was across the line. Problem was the ref wasn’t behind the goal enough to see it cross and had blown the whistle. Goal judge would have seen it if there was one. Heard Peart was playing with bad thigh bruise from mid first period hit. Still played one heck of a game. Congrats Elks...looks like they’re peaking at the right time. Andover will have their hands full.
You are contradicting yourself even. If replay only showed most of the puck was across the line, then that is not in
I was at the game and the overhead cam showed the puck crossing the line.
I really had no skin in the game either but I saw what I saw & judging by the boos in the arena a lot of others did to.
This must be different than what they had on tv: which is weird
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Disappointing loss today. Congrats to the Elks for bringing their game and rising to the challenge after the 1st period.

Rapids may have got caught looking ahead to Andover after the 1st period that they completely dominated. A shame that much forechecking couldn't result with a goal. The Elks bent but didn't break, key for them.

The Elks had the better of the play the 2nd half of the game. Rapids seemed to lose themselves and couldn't find their game. They looked lethargic and at times anemic. There were a ton of orange fans around the rink, per usual, who were waiting for something to cheer about but those moments didn't arrive until the end.

Rapids generated a lot of shots, 34-22 totals, and some good looks but struggled to make the good looks count, it was always just a little bit off or wide of the net etc..

Tough to watch a team lose when they weren't playing their best, left with a lot of "what ifs". But such is life. I'll be rooting for Andover from 7AA, I think they would best rep the section if they beat the Elks.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Have to give a s/o to our good friend AlCloseShaver for a nice Elk semi win . No one ? has endured what ACS has in the playoffs the last decade
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 pm Have to give a s/o to our good friend AlCloseShaver for a nice Elk semi win . No one ? has endured what ACS has in the playoffs the last decade
Thanks Westy
And a shoutout to Karl for for the updates on Twitter for those of us predisposed today. Fogarty is a no go so Amsoil it is.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

norcon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:22 pm
It was definitely in. Replay clearly showed that most if not all of the puck was across the line. Problem was the ref wasn’t behind the goal enough to see it cross and had blown the whistle. Goal judge would have seen it if there was one. Heard Peart was playing with bad thigh bruise from mid first period hit. Still played one heck of a game. Congrats Elks...looks like they’re peaking at the right time. Andover will have their hands full.
You are contradicting yourself even. If replay only showed most of the puck was across the line, then that is not in
I really had no skin in the game either but I saw what I saw & judging by the boos in the arena a lot of others did to.
raidergrad72, was interesting reaction at the rink to be sure.
I think Rapids cursed themselves with the "blackout". Used to seeing rapids fans rocking the orange.
Elks played a great game on Saturday after weathering the first period. that is waht good goaltending gets you in the playoffs! Big 3 point game for Michealis. #9 and Humphries were the difference maker skilled forward Rapids just does not have up front. They got a nice game and hope they showcase well on Thursday night!
Hopefully Elks get another stellar performance from Kozol and can give Andover a tough game on Thursday. Best of luck to which ever team reps 7AA in 2020. Go Section 7AA!!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

north_bear wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:28 pm Disappointing loss today. Congrats to the Elks for bringing their game and rising to the challenge after the 1st period.

Rapids may have got caught looking ahead to Andover after the 1st period that they completely dominated. A shame that much forechecking couldn't result with a goal. The Elks bent but didn't break, key for them.

The Elks had the better of the play the 2nd half of the game. Rapids seemed to lose themselves and couldn't find their game. They looked lethargic and at times anemic. There were a ton of orange fans around the rink, per usual, who were waiting for something to cheer about but those moments didn't arrive until the end.

Rapids generated a lot of shots, 34-22 totals, and some good looks but struggled to make the good looks count, it was always just a little bit off or wide of the net etc..

Tough to watch a team lose when they weren't playing their best, left with a lot of "what ifs". But such is life. I'll be rooting for Andover from 7AA, I think they would best rep the section if they beat the Elks.
Seems like a fair take. Once the Elks started to find their game, GR seemed to devolve into a lot of individual play and didn't really have the chemistry they needed to bust through. I also noticed that Peart did not seem quite 100% after he took that hit late in the 1st. He was absolutely controlling the game before that; afterwards, he looked good but mortal. And Rapids just doesn't have the goal-scoring firepower you can rely on in moments like this--this was not a team built to pull a multi-goal comeback.

The overhead camera view shown in the rink definitely made it look like the puck crossed the line for GR late in the game, though we had no reference as to when the whistle blew. For once, the hockey gods smiled on Elk River at Amsoil. GR might be bitter about that but frankly I thought the Elks were the deserving winners here with how they played for a majority of this game.

This Elk team has come a long way. They're playing much better than their record would indicate right now, and while Andover took them apart pretty thoroughly a couple of weeks ago, they're not totally out of the running. Credit to them for setting the tone for a majority of the game and creating the better chances.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:38 am

raidergrad72, was interesting reaction at the rink to be sure.
I think Rapids cursed themselves with the "blackout". Used to seeing rapids fans rocking the orange.
Elks played a great game on Saturday after weathering the first period. that is waht good goaltending gets you in the playoffs! Big 3 point game for Michealis. #9 and Humphries were the difference maker skilled forward Rapids just does not have up front. They got a nice game and hope they showcase well on Thursday night!
Hopefully Elks get another stellar performance from Kozol and can give Andover a tough game on Thursday. Best of luck to which ever team reps 7AA in 2020. Go Section 7AA!!
The overhead camera at Amsoil did clearly show the puck over the goal line. However, although outshot, Elk River clearly had more dangerous chances than did Rapids, and it definitely seemed this was due to the Elks having the difference makers Rapids lacked. The Elks' first goal ended up well-placed after a tip, and seemed to stun the Rapids players into a more tentative approach the rest of the game. Rapids had the majority of puck control, but I was impressed with the way the Elks clogged the slot and other shooting areas. Perhaps the Thunderhawks missed the spark of a player like DelGreco. To me, Bischoff was a near no-show, but none of the Rapids players, save Peart and Clafton, stepped up.

Also, Peart was the best player on the ice during either game of the afternoon session. Hopefully, he returns to the Thunderhawks for 2020-21.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

Mnmouth, I totally agree with your view, It had to be one of the most disappointing showings I have seen all year by this team, my first impression was the group never got off the bus and they weren't even in the game. The defense was not playing the way they had all year.The seniors weren't stepping up it looked they where just going threw the motions, VERY DISAPPOINTIING This playoffs boys you need to show up.....
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I agree with everyone on here. I didn’t feel Rapids played a terrible game. The Elks played a good one though and that was enough.

I still think the save Elks goalie made on Peart rush right after GR closed it to 2-1 was the difference. I’m sure if He scores on that play the momentum would have shifted big time. Elks came up big and didn’t allow that.

Best of luck to them. Should be a great final.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am Mnmouth, I totally agree with your view, It had to be one of the most disappointing showings I have seen all year by this team, my first impression was the group never got off the bus and they weren't even in the game. The defense was not playing the way they had all year.The seniors weren't stepping up it looked they where just going threw the motions, VERY DISAPPOINTIING This playoffs boys you need to show up.....
Yeah I kinda felt that way too aside from the start. Perhaps the moment overwhelmed the young team. They should be stronger next year though. Boy I hope Peart comes back. It's worth going to the games just to watch him.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:48 pm I agree with everyone on here. I didn’t feel Rapids played a terrible game. The Elks played a good one though and that was enough.

I still think the save Elks goalie made on Peart rush right after GR closed it to 2-1 was the difference. I’m sure if He scores on that play the momentum would have shifted big time. Elks came up big and didn’t allow that.

Best of luck to them. Should be a great final.
Agree. Peart had several outstanding rushes. Would have been a game changer if he finds twine on that.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Nice Cinderella...don’t dream it’s over...hey now,
Hey now
stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey »

raidergrad72 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:10 pm Grand Rapids got robbed on a score. Replay clearly showed it was in., but whistle blew & that's it.
ER empty netter so it's 3-1 ER final.
Sad.
Does anyone have a video link for said controversial goal? Can it be found anywhere?
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

stateofhawkey wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:22 am
raidergrad72 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:10 pm Grand Rapids got robbed on a score. Replay clearly showed it was in., but whistle blew & that's it.
Sad.
Does anyone have a video link for said controversial goal? Can it be found anywhere?
At Amsoil, they put up the overhead view on the scoreboard one time, resulting in the type of angry uproar that guarantees we will never see that view again.
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

north_bear wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:58 pm
PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am Mnmouth, I totally agree with your view, It had to be one of the most disappointing showings I have seen all year by this team, my first impression was the group never got off the bus and they weren't even in the game. The defense was not playing the way they had all year.The seniors weren't stepping up it looked they where just going threw the motions, VERY DISAPPOINTIING This playoffs boys you need to show up.....
Yeah I kinda felt that way too aside from the start. Perhaps the moment overwhelmed the young team. They should be stronger next year though. Boy I hope Peart comes back. It's worth going to the games just to watch him.
The Elks should be stronger as well next year as they were actually the younger of the two teams. They played 1 Freshman and 7 Sophomores regularly. Bright future for both teams if everyone stays around!!Looking forward to the next couple years, should be exciting come sections time!
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

Sad.
Video in the rink does not have sound so we don't know when the whistle went/ref lost sight of the puck. That's what matters. From what I saw the puck was out of sight, whistle blew, goalie got up and the puck was poked in by a Rapids player after the whistle. If you just look at the video with no sound then you would think it was goal. The puck did cross the line but it was well after the ref blew his whistle. I guess it depends on what team you were rooting for if it was a good call or not.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I saw the same thing Joe saw on WDIO live stream. When the goalie stood up the puck fell down on the line. Definitely not over line at that time. The video then cuts off. Even if it crossed after that you have to believe the whistle had blown long before. Otherwise we are assuming the goaltender stood up and relaxed without a whistle. I doubt that. I’m just basing that on the video I saw. I believe it was a good call.
norcon

Post by norcon »

Fightinghawklover wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Sad.
Video in the rink does not have sound so we don't know when the whistle went/ref lost sight of the puck. That's what matters. From what I saw the puck was out of sight, whistle blew, goalie got up and the puck was poked in by a Rapids player after the whistle. If you just look at the video with no sound then you would think it was goal. The puck did cross the line but it was well after the ref blew his whistle. I guess it depends on what team you were rooting for if it was a good call or not.
Good take