7AA Semifinal II: Elk River vs Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who ya got?

Elk River
21%
Grand Rapids
79%

Total votes: 42

mnmouth

7AA Semifinal II: Elk River vs Grand Rapids

Post by mnmouth »

Will Elks get revenge for December loss to THawks?
raidergrad72

Re: 7AA Semifinal II: Elk River vs Grand Rapids

Post by raidergrad72 »

Gotta go with the T-hawks on this one.
7-8 game win streak to end the reg. season. They're peaking at the right time.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elks have a penchant for giving up a lot of SOG, need to keep GR at 3 goals or less and hope a difference maker like Michaelis pops a few in. Would be ironic if in a down year this club pulls off a couple of upsets where some great teams have failed. Elks would have very little chance V Andover where Rapids can make a case for having a chance, albeit a small one.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

And for the Oliver Stone conspiracy theorists remember administration region 7 needs to have a decent gate to fill it’s coffers or Mr. D Mciver will have to get creative with the finances after the MSHSL has already come to the member schools to make up for a shortfall. With that being said an all South final would be better served played down here.
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

The last time these guys met in Edina Rapids was playing it’s worst hockey and still Handley outplayed the elks. Elk river definitely has a chance it’s the playoffs, but the way GR is playing they are on another level then the last time they played in December. I say 5-1 5-2 Rapids . Grand Rapids is locking it down and carter has really really picked it up in net I don’t think Elk River is going to score from the corner like they did in Edina.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

alcloseshaver wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:39 pm Elks have a penchant for giving up a lot of SOG, need to keep GR at 3 goals or less and hope a difference maker like Michaelis pops a few in. Would be ironic if in a down year this club pulls off a couple of upsets where some great teams have failed. Elks would have very little chance V Andover where Rapids can make a case for having a chance, albeit a small one.
I agree, I see this being a close game and Michaelis and Humphrey are good enough to cause plenty of GR headaches.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Edinahopkins wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 pm The last time these guys met in Edina Rapids was playing it’s worst hockey and still Handley outplayed the elks. Elk river definitely has a chance it’s the playoffs, but the way GR is playing they are on another level then the last time they played in December. I say 5-1 5-2 Rapids . Grand Rapids is locking it down and carter has really really picked it up in net I don’t think Elk River is going to score from the corner like they did in Edina.
Elk River has improved also if you watch them in person, but logically your assessment of a possible final score makes sense. Elks need to get to 3 and get good goaltending.
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

I agree Elk River has gotten better to win Elk River has two score 4 goals Grand Rapids has lost every time they have given up 4 goals but I just don’t think the elks are going to have enough to get past either Grand Rapids or Andover but that’s why we play the game anything can happen this time of year and I love that. Elk River I suppose is due for one but Grand Rapids likes low scoring games Elk River is going to have to pump a few in right away and get Grand Rapids chasing from 2 or more down.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Edinahopkins wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:32 pm I agree Elk River has gotten better to win Elk River has two score 4 goals Grand Rapids has lost every time they have given up 4 goals but I just don’t think the elks are going to have enough to get past either Grand Rapids or Andover but that’s why we play the game anything can happen this time of year and I love that. Elk River I suppose is due for one but Grand Rapids likes low scoring games Elk River is going to have to pump a few in right away and get Grand Rapids chasing from 2 or more down.
The 1st meeting was a typical ER game get outshot 17-3 in the 1st period but lead 1-0 and 2-1 after 2. Rapids scored the last 4 with an EN goal. That’s the formula except for the 3rd period, slim margin for error but let’s play.
CB00

Post by CB00 »

So you’re telling me there’s a chance, yea!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I'm intrigued by this one, as both teams have been trending upward lately. Rapids is certainly the favorite but if the Elks pop one or two early, it could get interesting. Interesting stylistic clash between a thinner team that has some legitimate offensive talent and a very deep defensive squad that has some question marks over where the goals will come from. Elk D and goaltending will need to hold up; GR just needs to find ways to finish.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

karl(east) wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:07 pm I'm intrigued by this one, as both teams have been trending upward lately. Rapids is certainly the favorite but if the Elks pop one or two early, it could get interesting. Interesting stylistic clash between a thinner team that has some legitimate offensive talent and a very deep defensive squad that has some question marks over where the goals will come from. Elk D and goaltending will need to hold up; GR just needs to find ways to finish.
You got your orange on for tomorrow? Couldn't find an orange shirt or jacket but found an orange cap. It'll have to do. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

karl(east) wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:07 pm I'm intrigued by this one, as both teams have been trending upward lately. Rapids is certainly the favorite but if the Elks pop one or two early, it could get interesting. Interesting stylistic clash between a thinner team that has some legitimate offensive talent and a very deep defensive squad that has some question marks over where the goals will come from. Elk D and goaltending will need to hold up; GR just needs to find ways to finish.
You nailed it there Karl. The only game this year that Rapids got behind quick and early was Edina. If it stays 0-0 or GR up by a goal for any length of time I like their chances.

Elks will come out flying for sure. Will be interesting to see if the Thunderhawks can come back if they get down early.

Probably need to do that to beat Andover anyway if they get that chance.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

should be a good one. one goal either way. think this one is a toss up match.
grindiangrad-80

[-o<
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:36 am should be a good one. one goal either way. think this one is a toss up match.
I agree with that.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

east hockey wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:58 pm
You got your orange on for tomorrow? Couldn't find an orange shirt or jacket but found an orange cap. It'll have to do. :mrgreen:

Lee
I do have one orange sweater, but I'm saving it for Thursday when I think it might be more necessary. :wink:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

karl(east) wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:27 am

Lee
I do have one orange sweater, but I'm saving it for Thursday when I think it might be more necessary. :wink:
There are these things called washing machines. Wear it Saturday, wash it Sunday, wear it Thursday :P

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Lee
Definitely will be a surreal Saturday for Karl & Lee, but Hey guys, there’s always next year 😉
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

hockey59 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:51 am

Lee
Definitely will be a surreal Saturday for Karl & Lee, but Hey guys, there’s always next year 😉
For Karl, for sure. He doesn't remember a Semifinal Saturday without East playing. My memory is longer and more brutal.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

We're here at the arena for a game marathon.
Took Andover awhile to get going but 7-0 final.
Josie gave up 4 as a replacement but played as well she could.
Section 105 row 7 , have the venerable GREEN POWER button on.
CB00

Post by CB00 »

ER 0
GR 0
After 1
CB00

Post by CB00 »

ER 1
GR 0
Mid 2
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

CB00 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:11 pm ER 1
GR 0
Mid 2
2-0 ER 14:35 Period 2.
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

Elks 2-0 after 2
grindiangrad-80

Elk River has done a nice job in this one. They’ve had a few quality chances in this one. Clafton has made several big saves.

We’ll see if Rapids can play from behind. Also will be interesting to see if the Elks continue being aggressive or become a little more defensive minded.

Great game to watch.