Games Tuesday 1-28-20

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WarmUpTheBus

Re: Games Tuesday 1-28-20

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:59 pm 7:58 pm - Scoreless 1st from the Snoopy rink. Cretin took a mad run of minor penalties in the latter part of the period.
8:18 pm - Billy Rose from Sam Newpower early in the 2nd makes it 1-0 WBL.
8:35 pm - That was only goal so far. Bears have an overhanging PP to start the final frame.
8:56 pm - My vote for Mr. Hockey just brought it up ice on the PP, cut into traffic, and tied it post and in. 1-1
9:02 pm - One Fisher from the other and C-DH now leads 2-1.
9:05 pm - Gleason pressed the pace and drew a penalty. Raiders go on the power play with a lead.
9:06 pm - Now 3-1 w/ 6:12 to go as Nei from Sondreal hit the twine.
9:18 pm - Empty net goal for Matthew Gleason seals it. 2G, 1A for the night. 4-1 F

Hard to me to see C-DH drop past 1 or 2 seed in Section VI. Big 3rd period tonight.
I was also at the Snoopy tonight. The one word that comes to mind when watching Matt Gleason. Relentless.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well stated Bus!
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:45 pm Well stated Bus!
Bus = Potsey. You boys have nicknames and everything 👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 pm
O-townClown wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:59 pm 7:58 pm - Scoreless 1st from the Snoopy rink. Cretin took a mad run of minor penalties in the latter part of the period.
8:35 pm - That was only goal so far. Bears have an overhanging PP to start the final frame.
8:56 pm - My vote for Mr. Hockey just brought it up ice on the PP, cut into traffic, and tied it post and in. 1-1
9:05 pm - Gleason pressed the pace and drew a penalty. Raiders go on the power play with a lead.
9:18 pm - Empty net goal for Matthew Gleason seals it. 2G, 1A for the night. 4-1 F

Hard to me to see C-DH drop past 1 or 2 seed in Section VI. Big 3rd period tonight.
I was also at the Snoopy tonight. The one word that comes to mind when watching Matt Gleason. Relentless.
ChrisK and I took in the game. I said this about Gleason. Anytime he touches the puck, he appears to be shot out of a cannon. He is fast and very skilled. I did think he shot too much in the first couple periods (when CDH couldn't sniff a goal). But they did break through in the third. WBL has the same problem HM does. Which is, lots of talent (I think they were deeper than both HM and CDH), but not enough finishers. Which always leaves you in close games where anything can happen. I bet WBL beats CDH the second time around.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

New Ulm does it again.

The day after their leading scorer (Schugel) scores the 9th goal with 6 1/2 minutes left in the game, they play Fairmont and he scores the 11th, 12th, assists on the 13th goal, their second leading scorer assists on the 14th goal, and the 5th leading scorer scores goals #15 and 16, the last one with 5 seconds left in the game.

I hope someone puts this team (and specifically their coach) in his place.

There is no room for this in the game, have some CLASS.
PuckNA

Post by PuckNA »

Just look around at a lot of these teams... they play their "guys" all game against weak opponents to pump stats... I see both sides, you'll be on the receiving end of a @$$ kicking and sometimes you're on the receiving end... coaches are 100% responsible for who they put out... I mean does Elk rover need to keep their top guys in vs CR... I mean those 8 points show just how good you are.... just an example... no offense to ER player
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

PuckNA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:47 pm Just look around at a lot of these teams... they play their "guys" all game against weak opponents to pump stats... I see both sides, you'll be on the receiving end of a @$$ kicking and sometimes you're on the receiving end... coaches are 100% responsible for who they put out... I mean does Elk rover need to keep their top guys in vs CR... I mean those 8 points show just how good you are.... just an example... no offense to ER player
Agree, every team obviously has their own approach and as we've all seen some coaches allow their players to pile up stats and specifically use games vs. weaker opponents for those purposes. On the other hand, other coaches roll 3-4 lines and play lines 2, 3 & 4 a lions share of the ice time (same with goalies playing time too). I don't know how much this comes into consideration for the various post season awards, but I'm sure there is some influence from the #'s, how substantial is anyone's guess. Too time consuming to do on a large scale, but we all probably know that little Johnny example who had 30 points on the season, but 15 of them came in 3 games.
Blue Line

Post by Blue Line »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:06 pm
PuckNA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:47 pm Just look around at a lot of these teams... they play their "guys" all game against weak opponents to pump stats... I see both sides, you'll be on the receiving end of a @$$ kicking and sometimes you're on the receiving end... coaches are 100% responsible for who they put out... I mean does Elk rover need to keep their top guys in vs CR... I mean those 8 points show just how good you are.... just an example... no offense to ER player
Agree, every team obviously has their own approach and as we've all seen some coaches allow their players to pile up stats and specifically use games vs. weaker opponents for those purposes. On the other hand, other coaches roll 3-4 lines and play lines 2, 3 & 4 a lions share of the ice time (same with goalies playing time too). I don't know how much this comes into consideration for the various post season awards, but I'm sure there is some influence from the #'s, how substantial is anyone's guess. Too time consuming to do on a large scale, but we all probably know that little Johnny example who had 30 points on the season, but 15 of them came in 3 games.
It is even better when someone Tweets about goals in a lopsided game. Early in the season, one of the top teams won a blow out and their Twitter feed was celebrating goal #11 like they had just won the Stanley Cup. “Johnny X with goal #6 on the night” and then they include 6 goal light emojis. I loved it when that team lost their next game. Not many Tweets that night. Looking through the box scores of some of last night’s lopsided games, for a few games the kids scoring in the 3rd period aren’t the leading scorers, but others you see the “guys” getting goals during running time. Just stop. Play the fourth line. The scouts have all left by that point - if they were there at all.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Blue Line wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:47 pm
InThePipes wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:06 pm
It is even better when someone Tweets about goals in a lopsided game. Early in the season, one of the top teams won a blow out and their Twitter feed was celebrating goal #11 like they had just won the Stanley Cup. “Johnny X with goal #6 on the night” and then they include 6 goal light emojis. I loved it when that team lost their next game. Not many Tweets that night. Looking through the box scores of some of last night’s lopsided games, for a few games the kids scoring in the 3rd period aren’t the leading scorers, but others you see the “guys” getting goals during running time. Just stop. Play the fourth line. The scouts have all left by that point - if they were there at all.
Every kid on both teams showed up that night wanting to play hockey but you think a kid should be benched in the 3rd period because his team's too good. Players won't stand for that very long. I wouldn't.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

A nice two hand slash solves these problems sometimes. GB
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Blue Line wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:47 pmIt is even better when someone Tweets about goals in a lopsided game. Early in the season, one of the top teams won a blow out and their Twitter feed was celebrating goal #11 like they had just won the Stanley Cup. “Johnny X with goal #6 on the night” and then they include 6 goal light emojis.
I can't stand this. So tone deaf. Down a goal going into 3rd and storm back for a comeback like Blake (over EP) or C-DH (last night against Wayzata)? Fire away. Soundly win a game everyone knew you would? I don't need a blow-by-blow for the seal clubbing.
Be kind. Rewind.
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

Any game in running time, every healthy kid should see the ice and get some time, and the leaders and or scorers of that team should want and expect the 3rd and 4th line to play, if for no other reason than to show they are a Team.
I saw that 16 RIP score and felt embarrassed for all, winners, losers and parents in attendance, its amazing the police didn't need to be called to a scene in the parking lot.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Sparlimb wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:58 am
WarmUpTheBus wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 pm

ChrisK and I took in the game. I said this about Gleason. Anytime he touches the puck, he appears to be shot out of a cannon. He is fast and very skilled. I did think he shot too much in the first couple periods (when CDH couldn't sniff a goal). But they did break through in the third. WBL has the same problem HM does. Which is, lots of talent (I think they were deeper than both HM and CDH), but not enough finishers. Which always leaves you in close games where anything can happen. I bet WBL beats CDH the second time around.
Been watching Gleason for a number of years. Great player, maybe the best in the state (this year). Also very good at drawing penalties. You would think a player like that would be stronger on his skates. Cretin is for real and it's not all Gleason. They are very quick.

Sparlimb what's up with HM's #7? I thought he was supposed to be a great finisher.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

SEC Scotty wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:58 pm
WarmUpTheBus wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 pm I was also at the Snoopy tonight. The one word that comes to mind when watching Matt Gleason. Relentless.
Been watching Gleason for a number of years. Great player, maybe the best in the state (this year). Also very good at drawing penalties. You would think a player like that would be stronger on his skates. Cretin is for real and it's not all Gleason. They are very quick.

Sparlimb what's up with HM's #7? I thought he was supposed to be a great finisher.
Pierre is still a sophomore. So I give him a little pass because of youth. He possibly could be another Gleason in 2 years as his size, speed and stick handling are close. Granted the trend at Hill has been the best kids leave their senior year to play juniors, so who knows. Hill's first line can compete with most teams, but their second and third lines lack scoring punch. I liked how CDH puts Gleason on the blue line during power plays so he can take the puck from behind the net and go all the way into the offensive zone. He scored on such a play against WBL. Lechner has never been one to really push the offensive play, so I doubt you'd see Hill do that. Anyway, let's see how Pierre progresses. A Gleason comparison is a high bar to match.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:26 am
SEC Scotty wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Pierre is still a sophomore. So I give him a little pass because of youth. He possibly could be another Gleason in 2 years as his size, speed and stick handling are close. Granted the trend at Hill has been the best kids leave their senior year to play juniors, so who knows. Hill's first line can compete with most teams, but their second and third lines lack scoring punch. I liked how CDH puts Gleason on the blue line during power plays so he can take the puck from behind the net and go all the way into the offensive zone. He scored on such a play against WBL. Lechner has never been one to really push the offensive play, so I doubt you'd see Hill do that. Anyway, let's see how Pierre progresses. A Gleason comparison is a high bar to match.
Pierre will probably leave for the NTDP next year anyways.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

He had a hot start and showed some very magical stuff, but tailed off lately. I still dont know how a kid that slight gets off one of the hardest wristers in the state.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:42 am He had a hot start and showed some very magical stuff, but tailed off lately. I still dont know how a kid that slight gets off one of the hardest wristers in the state.
Plays the off wing and seems to have problems catching passes on his backhand. He does have A very good release and cuts to the middle to use that to his advantage.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Power play shot from faceoff circle to left of goalie is super hard and deadly, doesnt need much of an opening.