North Star Academy-Alexandria

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zooomx

Re: North Star Academy-Alexandria

Post by zooomx »

StanleyCup55 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm I’ve heard it’s been a big boost to add another sheet of ice in the town as it was hard to come by at the main rink. Also heard they’re building a third rink attached to the two they have at the fairgrounds so they’ll have 4 indoor arenas. Seems that program is growing well
As a restaurant owner, yes, the extra sheet has also helped businesses in the area. Last year the youth program brought double the amount of teams to town for tournaments.

Yes, the city is pursuing a 3rd building at the fairgrounds that would have ice during the winter hockey season and would be utilized for dry floor events as well.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

While I hear what you guys are saying......as both a Minnesota High School hockey fan first, and a hockey fan overall.....I don’t need to see any more growth in the Tier One model than we already have. If you wonder where I’m coming from.....see Massachusetts. Don’t confuse a short term open spot created in a roster with a long term cancer to the sport in the form of cost, travel and kids leaving home at 14.

Thanks......but no thanks.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

MH has put a moratorium on any new programs.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Section 8 guy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:58 am While I hear what you guys are saying......as both a Minnesota High School hockey fan first, and a hockey fan overall.....I don’t need to see any more growth in the Tier One model than we already have. If you wonder where I’m coming from.....see Massachusetts. Don’t confuse a short term open spot created in a roster with a long term cancer to the sport in the form of cost, travel and kids leaving home at 14.

Thanks......but no thanks.
Add Michigan. Last time those 2 states had any depth of talent was back in association days. BU and BC are hurting for those hard nosed players filling the roster depth. Triple A is NOT the ideal model by any stretch at 15-20K per year for hockey, absurd!