Blake and Breck

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goaliedad31

Blake and Breck

Post by goaliedad31 »

Any observations from the Black-Breck game? Looked like a good game.
massalsa

Re: Blake and Breck

Post by massalsa »

I was at the game. Breck is well coached, goaltending is improved from earlier in season (especially if shooting from perimeter with no traffic in front of net) and they will ROLL thru the class A sections and State tourney. Maple Grove and Wayzata could slow them down a little bit but I expect them to beat both of those teams.

Breck has 2 big, fast, strong lines that both can score and that balance is the key. What line does a team want to stop...Mobley/Qualley line or the Lindsay line? Both lines are fast and strong and are not afraid to get dirty goals.

https://ccxmedia.org/sports/breck-girls ... val-blake/

If Breck still had Uma they very well might be the best team in the state. It might be close with Andover but no doubt Edina would be weakened. Even without Uma they could beat anyone on any day. Only about 3-4 teams in the state are capable of that.
Indy96

Post by Indy96 »

So out of curiosity, why doesn't Breck move up to AA? They are clearly capable of playing with the big dogs, and compete well with the AA teams they've played this season. Seems they hardly ever have competition in the single A state tourney every year, other than Warroad. My understanding was that Blake voluntarily moved up a couple years ago so why wouldn't Breck do the same? I am relatively new to the high school hockey scene so still learning how things work but guessing there is a legit reason for them to still play A?
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

The fact that they would be dumped into a section with Edina, Blake, Wayzata and BSM might be one reason. If MN hockey had more even sections it might be more appealing. When you already have 8 of the top 15 teams in two sections it doesn't make for very competitive state tournaments.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Breck and Warroad. Those 2 teams should really move up. They are light years above the rest of Class A. No disrespect to Cloquet, South St. Paul, etc. I am kind of surprised these 2 teams do not get the Hermantown Boys treatment.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

goaliedad31 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:02 pm The fact that they would be dumped into a section with Edina, Blake, Wayzata and BSM might be one reason. If MN hockey had more even sections it might be more appealing. When you already have 8 of the top 15 teams in two sections it doesn't make for very competitive state tournaments.
Why not put Breck in 5AA, which only has 6 teams?

Better yet, just dump the sections format. It makes no sense in girls hockey.
Well Driller

Post by Well Driller »

The comment that Breck might very well be the best team in the state if Corniea still played for Breck is interesting. The fact is they're arguably the best team in the state with Peterson in net. Peterson was in net for wins over Andover, Blake, North Wright County and Hill Murray and despite the 1-0 loss to Edina in late December played just as well as Corniea.

If Corniea was still at Breck, she'd very likely be splitting time with Peterson.

I'm sure the other goalie at Edina is just thrilled with her 3 games and 24 shots this season.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

There's no question that Breck is a very good team. However, to say that they're arguably the best team is simply not accurate. As a wise coach was once quoted, "You are what your record says you are." Breck has 4 losses - Edina beat them head to head twice and is 21-1 with 21 straighht wins. Until someone knocks off the Hornets I think most observers would say they are the best team.
With respect to the goalies, Uma's one "bad" game was letting in 2 goals on 21 shots in a 4-2 win over NWC. Sarah's might be considered a 5 goals against night on 16 shots to Lourdes.
Hockeymaven1

Post by Hockeymaven1 »

Looks like Blake gave Andover a good game and Breck appears to have fallen apart after the First period against a decent Wayzata team- ahead 3-0 and lose 4-3 in regulation.