What? Catholic Cup???

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Side Pioneer Guy

What? Catholic Cup???

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

So I get on my keyboard thingy to make sure I've got the right dope on the Hill-STa game tonight, & on the Tria Rink site I see the "Catholic Cup" is today. No dope on it, what it's about, etc. Then looking at Hockey Hub I see there are 4 games there today between 8 Catholic schools.

It seems odd to hold an event and have no (or virtually no) publicity. Just what is this? What's it about? Is a cup awarded to some team? Cup implies some sort of tournament or playoff.
Hockey Is For Everyone
O-townClown

Re: What? Catholic Cup???

Post by O-townClown »

There was something on a smaller scale last year at TRIA. This year it is a bigger event with 8 teams. Brilliant idea! Great event. I'd assume this becomes an annual.
Be kind. Rewind.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Is this a one and done kind of thing? Why don't they turn it into a small tournament like Edina does?

And just for my viewing pleasure...

AMFAM CATHOLIC BOYS HOCKEY SHOWCASE- ST. PAUL, MN
11:30 AM-- St. Cloud Cathedral vs Totino Grace-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKpKz0nEzEs

2:00 PM-- Holy Family Catholic vs Academy of Holy Angels-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDUr7sZUzQA

4:30 PM-- Cretin-Derham Hall vs Benilde St. Margaret's-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApBjny33KQ

7:00 PM-- Hill-Murray vs Saint Thomas Academy-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvR-W7nCu3g
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

St. Cloud Cathedral wins 7-5 over Totino Grace in a defensive battle.
East Side Pioneer Guy

O-townClown wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:54 pm There was something on a smaller scale last year at TRIA. This year it is a bigger event with 8 teams. Brilliant idea! Great event. I'd assume this becomes an annual.
Well to be an annual event, you'd need to promote it.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm St. Cloud Cathedral wins 7-5 over Totino Grace in a defensive battle.
I heard the goalies got stuck on the elevator.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Teak

Post by Teak »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:46 pm So I get on my keyboard thingy to make sure I've got the right dope on the Hill-STa game tonight, & on the Tria Rink site I see the "Catholic Cup" is today. No dope on it, what it's about, etc. Then looking at Hockey Hub I see there are 4 games there today between 8 Catholic schools.

It seems odd to hold an event and have no (or virtually no) publicity. Just what is this? What's it about? Is a cup awarded to some team? Cup implies some sort of tournament or playoff.
Are you saying that you skipped Mass last weekend? :lol:
East Side Pioneer Guy

Are you saying that you skipped Mass last weekend? :lol:
[/quote]

Dude, unlike the STrib or the PiPress, there is no sports section at Mass.

But I'll save you a space for tomorrow morning. Although the 5:00 Mass at Assumption followed by a Sputnik burger at Mickey's then the game @ Tria is sounding good...
Hockey Is For Everyone
Teak

Post by Teak »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:12 pm
Dude, unlike the STrib or the PiPress, there is no sports section at Mass.
Talk to the Fathers. Maybe if the bulletin had a sports section they would look out upon a more awake congregation. [-o<
Teak

Post by Teak »

Hill-Murray and St. Thomas Academy ended 1-1 in OT. Very nice stream and announcing by the MNHockey.tv crew.
East Side Pioneer Guy

The Tria web site was incorrect. It's the Catholic Showcase, not the Catholic Cup. Tix were $10 for adults, steeper than for a typical game. I suppose the idea is you get to see 4 games. Even if you only get there for the last game of the day. I would have seen the TG- Cathedral match, but I had to organize my sock drawer; it was a mess.

On the HM schedule, this was an away game, and they dressed in black. But the were announced as the home team, and were home on the score board. Perhaps being an NHL practice rink, and the NHL having tossed tradition aside in favor or jersey sales by having visiting teams wear white, the Tria staff was confused.

There are not a lot of great seats at Tria. There is a platform at the top of the center ice section (I assume for wheel chairs users, who deserve a good view of the action). But that eliminates 3 or 4 rows of prime seating. Then both blue line sections have tunnels where skaters enter the ice. They eliminate more good seats, and the railing around the tunnels is annoying.

Since we live in an era where we are afraid of our own shadows, there is netting the entire length of the seating side of the rink. This is black netting, as it always is. I wonder if white netting would seem less annoying. But at least we aren't required to wear helmets with masks to see games. Yet.

I'm pretty agnostic on participating in this in the future.
Hockey Is For Everyone