7A - Thoughts

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ShakestheClown

Re: 7A - Thoughts

Post by ShakestheClown »

Three kids got in trouble and violated MSHL rules. They are not able to play for a while...
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Hessian wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:03 pm Hibbing will have Lund , Galli, and Frider returning. It should help from a mshsl violation but it came from a teammate whose mom teaches English at the Hs so it may be not so helpful 😩
Good to hear they'll be back.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Any comments on the Greenway-Denfeld game? Did Troumbly play? Unless Eveleth makes a run, it appears Hunters and Raiders are locks for 2-3 seeds, and the game appeared (on paper, at least) close enough that a playoff re-match could be a doozy.

Eveleth takes down Virginia handily, but I'm still not seeing some top names for Virginia in the box score, like Okland or Zadnikar. If and when these players return, they should be able to push Eveleth a lot more in the re-match.

I watched a good chunk of the Hibbing-Superior game, and getting the suspended players back was a big boost, at least offensively. Ziemba with a hat trick looked fantastic out there, and there is now enough skill on the pp that once they build some chemistry they should be able to make some teams pay for taking penalties. Still a couple solid players out with injuries that will be a big help depth-wise when they return.

The one thing that bugged me was the best three forwards were not put on the same line. I don't know if this was punishment for the suspensions, or if the coach was trying to balance the lines. IMO, balancing lines at the HS level is rarely the most effective strategy, unless you're an AA team with a stud or two and a bunch of B+ forwards that are all close in skill level. Coaches overthink it and underestimate the synergy that can be created when the top players are put together, so they put out two decent lines instead of one dangerous line and another line dedicated to being defensively responsible. GR won a damn AA title once Klatt stopped balancing lines and put his three horses together, and DeCenzo knew from game one that the Johnson-DeCenzo-Anderson line was the only way a very young, not real deep team would have a chance, and they rode that line to within a whisker of going to the A title game. End rant. :D
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

The pattern for Greenway has been the same in the games against good teams. Outplay or stay with the good team in the first period. Second period things turn in the other team's favor. Third period get outplayed. Depth is much more an issue this year. Also the loss of Birdsall, Rajala and Elich are much more significant than I thought. Early yet and hopefully they will improve and be a tough out come February.
Last edited by greenwayraider on Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IRMN

Post by IRMN »

I love how you say Eveleth takes down Virginia handily....it was a 2 goal game until the empty netter. And this is suppose to be the best team Eveleth has had in a while? Ok then. And Virginia is dealing with the absence of Okland and Zadnikar still. Put those 2 in the game and I bet it's a little different. Give credit where credit is due. Virginia battled. They don't quit. They just don't have a high powered goal scorer anymore/ right now. Maybe if certain families were loyal to their programs and WHAT NOT things would be different.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

IRMN wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 pm I love how you say Eveleth takes down Virginia handily....it was a 2 goal game until the empty netter. And this is suppose to be the best team Eveleth has had in a while? Ok then. And Virginia is dealing with the absence of Okland and Zadnikar still. Put those 2 in the game and I bet it's a little different. Give credit where credit is due. Virginia battled. They don't quit. They just don't have a high powered goal scorer anymore/ right now. Maybe if certain families were loyal to their programs and WHAT NOT things would be different.
Did you even read past the first four words? This is what I said: "Eveleth takes down Virginia handily, but I'm still not seeing some top names for Virginia in the box score, like Okland or Zadnikar. If and when these players return, they should be able to push Eveleth a lot more in the re-match." Sheesh, you're even more sensitive than I am. :o

Eveleth won 4-1, and shots were 41-19. In my book that's winning handily.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Used to be iron rangers were tough, now,
"even more sensitive".

j/k don't get your sensitive panties in a bunch.

:D :D
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

greenwayraider wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:20 pm The pattern for Greenway has been the same in the games against good teams. Outplay or stay with the good team in the first period. Second period things turn in the other team's favor. Third period get outplayed. Depth is much more an issue this year. Also the loss of Birdsall, Rajala and Elich are much more significant than I thought. Early yet and hopefully they will improve and be a tough out come February.
Did Troumbly play? Was he at or near 100%?
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Yes to both questions.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

greenwayraider wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:41 pm Yes to both questions.
Ok, thanks for the info. I still am optimistic Greenway will give Denfeld all they can handle should they meet again. Clafton has shown that his teams will peak come playoff time. 8)
IRMN

Post by IRMN »

Far from sensitive and I read what you said. Sheesh. But when you're a long time fan of the program its tough to see them struggling when it shouldn't be like that. Out shot and out skilled....yeah....out worked....no. So in my book that's not "handily" and our opinions can differ there. Give SOME credit to Virginia's Sophomore goalie for playing pretty well too. Hope they can figure some things out.
kniven

Post by kniven »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:43 pm
Ok, thanks for the info. I still am optimistic Greenway will give Denfeld all they can handle should they meet again. Clafton has shown that his teams will peak come playoff time. 8)

You mean last year. Did show = once. Has shown = more than once. Which is it 😐
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

kniven wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:00 pm
rainier2 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:43 pm
You mean last year. Did show = once. Has shown = more than once. Which is it 😐
Every year he's been head coach at Greenway he's shown it.

How's Langenbrunner looking this year?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

IRMN wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:58 pm Far from sensitive and I read what you said. Sheesh. But when you're a long time fan of the program its tough to see them struggling when it shouldn't be like that. Out shot and out skilled....yeah....out worked....no. So in my book that's not "handily" and our opinions can differ there. Give SOME credit to Virginia's Sophomore goalie for playing pretty well too. Hope they can figure some things out.
I hear ya, it's tough to watch top players leave late and then have people question why the team is struggling. I will give credit to their goalie, 38/41 is excellent!

But, I still say they won "handily".😁
kniven

Post by kniven »

Mason Langenbrunner is going to awesome everywhere he goes. I’m a huge fan of that kid 👍
IRMN

Post by IRMN »

I just thought for what Virginia had in that game they hung in there pretty well. Eveleth is very similar to Virginia last year with a ton of seniors. Very cool that they all stuck around to see what they could do this year. Loyalty seems to be a thing of the past. I wonder if Virginia will continue to roll the sophomore... we’ll see what happens.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

IRMN wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:56 pm I just thought for what Virginia had in that game they hung in there pretty well. Eveleth is very similar to Virginia last year with a ton of seniors. Very cool that they all stuck around to see what they could do this year. Loyalty seems to be a thing of the past. I wonder if Virginia will continue to roll the sophomore... we’ll see what happens.
Yeah, for not having their biggest offensive threat on the ice, they did have a nice showing. If that goalie can keep that up and they get healthy, we should see a team that can be a threat in the 4/5 QF, which I'd bet big money will be Eveleth/Virginia, unless I-Falls can grab the 5.
Hessian

Post by Hessian »

A very possible serious hazing issue may be coming to light for an 7a team. Hope not but time will tell.
CanAm Hockey

Post by CanAm Hockey »

Ok, I'll bite. What team?
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:36 pm
IRMN wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 pm I love how you say Eveleth takes down Virginia handily....it was a 2 goal game until the empty netter. And this is suppose to be the best team Eveleth has had in a while? Ok then. And Virginia is dealing with the absence of Okland and Zadnikar still. Put those 2 in the game and I bet it's a little different. Give credit where credit is due. Virginia battled. They don't quit. They just don't have a high powered goal scorer anymore/ right now. Maybe if certain families were loyal to their programs and WHAT NOT things would be different.
Did you even read past the first four words? This is what I said: "Eveleth takes down Virginia handily, but I'm still not seeing some top names for Virginia in the box score, like Okland or Zadnikar. If and when these players return, they should be able to push Eveleth a lot more in the re-match." Sheesh, you're even more sensitive than I am. :o

Rumor has it that Zadnikar quit (is that the 2nd or 3rd time) and Okland enrolled at Eveleth over the break. Guys at work saying that Okland is looking to play this year at Eveleth. Not sure if that is possible, even if his parents moved to Eveleth.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

ironranger2 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:43 am

Rumor has it that Zadnikar quit (is that the 2nd or 3rd time) and Okland enrolled at Eveleth over the break. Guys at work saying that Okland is looking to play this year at Eveleth. Not sure if that is possible, even if his parents moved to Eveleth.
The rule is that you have to join a team by the 4th Monday after official start of the season, but there is an exception for transfer students who become eligible at the new school. If his parents moved to Eveleth there is no rule stopping him from playing, IF he was eligible and in good standing at Virginia at the time of the move.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

ironranger2 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:43 am

Unreal. I imagine that since Eveleth will be losing a ton to graduation, next year this player ends up at Hermantown, because god forbid anyone plays for a team that won't go to state. And I'm sure seeing the Virginia senior transfer playing on Hermantown's top line as the Hawks are beating/playing tight with the very best in AA once again has whetted appetites for a guaranteed Class A title run.

Yet another example of how Hermantown's sandbagging in Class A is killing 7A hockey.

Let's imagine for a moment that the Hermantown decision makers were not evil demons whose sustenance came from Class A banners and scholastic bullying, and had moved the Hawks up to AA a 3-4 years ago. The top players from Hibbing and Virginia that left over that time would likely have stayed, because although Greenway would still have been the favorite the last two years, knocking them off wouldn't have been unthinkable, such as it is for Hermantown. If these players had all stayed home, Hibbing and Virginia would both have excellent top lines, pps, and pks, and all of a sudden there is not much separating Denfeld, Greenway, Eveleth, Virginia, and Hibbing in 7A this year. All of these teams would feel they had a shot to go to state, and there would be excitement through the season and especially come playoff time. It wouldn't matter that the 7A champ would have little chance vs big city teams like Cathedral, Orono, or Mahtomedi, they'd made it to state, which is a dream come true.

Instead, Hermantown continues to warp expectations for Class A programs by drawing talent from the entire Duluth metro area and beyond, and using these outsiders to beat the very best in AA, and of course, in A. To keep up with the Hawks, we're now seeing all the talent in St. Cloud aggregate at one school, Mahtomedi start playing AA at youth levels, and even a top player from Grand Forks transfer to EGF. It's an arms race amongst Class A teams located in AA-sized areas, and true Class A community teams fall further back, leading unobservant and uninformed hockey fans/parents to ask "Why are (insert community hockey program here) so crappy now?" ](*,)
kniven

Post by kniven »

I think Hermantown will still have lots of really nice hockey players open enrolling and/or transferring there to play puck. A new rink on the way and an established pipeline/ feeder to UMD hockey. The only difference, maybe, they start pulling from an even bigger reach and pulling talent from AA hockey programs state/country wide.
IRMN

Post by IRMN »

Confirmed- Zadnikar did quit. Okland’s situation I’m still unclear on...but from Mom’s Facebook post it looks like he’s going to Eveleth? And from what little I know about Virginia’s new coach...I’ve heard he’s doing a great job and holding kids accountable which is a lost art nowadays and people don’t know how to handle it. I’ve heard both Zadnikar and Okland are enrolling in Eveleth. To me it sounds like these two are more in it for themselves instead of the team aspect. Loyalty, commitment, and sacrifice seem to be lost qualities nowadays. The grass is not always greener on the other side....unless you go to Hermantown and ride the wagon to State playing with NO ONE you grew up playing with. That doesn’t make the Tourney special. Just my 2 cents.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

I guess the consolidation of Virginia and Eveleth is happening sooner then expected. If they do end up in Eveleth it will be interesting to see if they fit in or if it is a distraction. They’ll be pushing out two Eveleth kids who have been a part of the team since squirts.