7AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Edinahopkins

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Edinahopkins »

Another big win for Grand Rapids they are a young team this year so they should realistically only get better , Carter played fantastic. I don’t think the tying Minnetonka goal should have counted because it looked like he stuffed the goalie from my angel but in the end it didn’t matter. Nice win Grand Rapids!!
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Another well-played game for both teams. Minnetonka was flying after going down 2-0 early in the second. I though Rapids showed excellent resilience to survive the pushes and find a way to win. Given GR is a young team with a very new coach, I think the prospects for improvement are real.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
kniven

Post by kniven »

Andover and Rapids seem to be 1 and 1A. I have zero doubts Rapids can beat Andover after defeating Benilde and Minnetonka.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Has Duluth East ever played an away quarterfinal section game? I know it’s way too early to predict that, but the thought popped into my head as I started thinking about how many games they could lose this season.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

I’d assume Karl would know and I’d venture to guess if so the last time was in the 80s, also the Hounds haven’t had a losing season since the 1952-53 season. So hopefully they can find a way to keep that streak going....
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Traxler wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:40 pm Has Duluth East ever played an away quarterfinal section game? I know it’s way too early to predict that, but the thought popped into my head as I started thinking about how many games they could lose this season.
1993 is the only time they did in the two-class era. They were the 5th seed in Section 7 Tier I and lost a quarterfinal at Virginia. That was Dave Spehar's freshman year...haven't really looked back since.

Looking back before that, the old one-class Section Two had separate playoff brackets for its various regions (north metro, St. Cloud area, Duluth area), and with one exception in 1989 when they played some round of 16 games in Superior for some reason, the Duluth bracket always took place at the DECC...so even if East was a lower seed at any point in that stretch (I don't have complete seeds), it was never really a road game. The 1993 game was their only true road game in a quarterfinal (or earlier) since 1975.

It's certainly a possibility this season, though I think there's enough parity (mediocrity?) in 7AA beyond Andover and (seemingly) Grand Rapids that they have a decent chance of still being a 3 or a 4. Will be interesting to see what QRF makes of their work.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Duluth East, CEC, and Elk River fighting for the #3 seed as to not have to face Andover in the section semi. Grand Rapids won’t be easy, either. Does Rapids have the better goaltending than Andover this year? Elk River will be an Andover nightmare if they meet in the semi. Rapids vs. East or CEC would be ideal as well. CEC doesn’t play Andover anymore in the regular season or Elk River. Which seems silly. You can usually pencil CEC in at the 5 spot most years, though. I think Andover will be a yearly powe squad going forward squeezing Cloquet out of the top 4 or even 5 from here on out. Numbers wise with all 5 teams above them routinely each year. And we don’t get many transfers. My purple are annual underdogs in 7AA and that’s fine. I imagine Elk and East will be back to full strength again next year with Andover and Rapids there already. CEC’s window was identified 6-7 years ago as 2016-2020 with their success in youth hockey. I’ve been filming since 2012, and Cloquet doesn’t handle success and talent well. It seems that everybody gets greedy. I’m looking forward to being an underdog once again. It seems that were I’m most comfortable 👍.
kniven

Post by kniven »

i care too much, and I am to honest. When it comes to my purple, I am very protective of our sweater. I really, truly feel that the team comes before the individual no matter who you are. Over my years here, I am very happy that kids decided to leave our hockey program early. Because. I don’t think we truely need them. Especially if they don’t want to be here and/or they are here for someone else and not themselves. “Make a choice. Make a difference. No regrets.” Taking responsibly and choosing what a person wants no matter what others say. I chose 10 yeasts ago to “do what I do” for the kids. Currently, I am broke, have no career, and I have more in common with kids than I do with the adults in the room. But. My kids love me. My wife loves me. And they absolutely now that I love them. My kids are great human beings and healthy. I made a choice most people don’t choose. I am not going to apologize because I am different. I’ve always enjoyed investing in people. And student/athletes. The return on my investment is pretty amazing.
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

Rapids off to a good start.
Elk RIver and East off to poor starts
Andover easily the class of the Section.
Forest Lake is 2-0 could start 5-0
CEC lost to a mediocre Stillwater team.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Good to see former Hound Austin Jouppi commit to BSU last night, congrats to him!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

kniven wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:47 pm i care too much, and I am to honest. When it comes to my purple, I am very protective of our sweater. I really, truly feel that the team comes before the individual no matter who you are. Over my years here, I am very happy that kids decided to leave our hockey program early. Because. I don’t think we truely need them. Especially if they don’t want to be here and/or they are here for someone else and not themselves. “Make a choice. Make a difference. No regrets.” Taking responsibly and choosing what a person wants no matter what others say. I chose 10 yeasts ago to “do what I do” for the kids. Currently, I am broke, have no career, and I have more in common with kids than I do with the adults in the room. But. My kids love me. My wife loves me. And they absolutely now that I love them. My kids are great human beings and healthy. I made a choice most people don’t choose. I am not going to apologize because I am different. I’ve always enjoyed investing in people. And student/athletes. The return on my investment is pretty amazing.
Have you ever heard of Stuart Smalley?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Never cared for the character or the person playing him.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Mnnstar wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 am Rapids off to a good start.
Elk RIver and East off to poor starts
Andover easily the class of the Section.
Forest Lake is 2-0 could start 5-0
CEC lost to a mediocre Stillwater team.
It’s a long season. Injuries and sick kids come and go over the course of a season. The narrative now in 7AA is Andover, Rapids, and then everybody else. I’ll bet the narrative evolves several times before section playoffs.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

kniven wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 pm Duluth East, CEC, and Elk River fighting for the #3 seed as to not have to face Andover in the section semi. Grand Rapids won’t be easy, either. Does Rapids have the better goaltending than Andover this year? Elk River will be an Andover nightmare if they meet in the semi. Rapids vs. East or CEC would be ideal as well. CEC doesn’t play Andover anymore in the regular season or Elk River. Which seems silly. You can usually pencil CEC in at the 5 spot most years, though. I think Andover will be a yearly powe squad going forward squeezing Cloquet out of the top 4 or even 5 from here on out. Numbers wise with all 5 teams above them routinely each year. And we don’t get many transfers. My purple are annual underdogs in 7AA and that’s fine. I imagine Elk and East will be back to full strength again next year with Andover and Rapids there already. CEC’s window was identified 6-7 years ago as 2016-2020 with their success in youth hockey. I’ve been filming since 2012, and Cloquet doesn’t handle success and talent well. It seems that everybody gets greedy. I’m looking forward to being an underdog once again. It seems that were I’m most comfortable 👍.
It seems like this is the year for Andover to have their best shot at getting out of sections and to the state tourney. I'm not so sure how bright the future is going forward for them though. The last couple of years (according to YHH) they had limited success with their PWAA & BAA. Not to say their records were horrible, but just nothing to suggest that they'll have the ability to just reload once this group of seniors moves on.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

HockeyDad41 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:59 pm
kniven wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 pm Duluth East, CEC, and Elk River fighting for the #3 seed as to not have to face Andover in the section semi. Grand Rapids won’t be easy, either. Does Rapids have the better goaltending than Andover this year? Elk River will be an Andover nightmare if they meet in the semi. Rapids vs. East or CEC would be ideal as well. CEC doesn’t play Andover anymore in the regular season or Elk River. Which seems silly. You can usually pencil CEC in at the 5 spot most years, though. I think Andover will be a yearly powe squad going forward squeezing Cloquet out of the top 4 or even 5 from here on out. Numbers wise with all 5 teams above them routinely each year. And we don’t get many transfers. My purple are annual underdogs in 7AA and that’s fine. I imagine Elk and East will be back to full strength again next year with Andover and Rapids there already. CEC’s window was identified 6-7 years ago as 2016-2020 with their success in youth hockey. I’ve been filming since 2012, and Cloquet doesn’t handle success and talent well. It seems that everybody gets greedy. I’m looking forward to being an underdog once again. It seems that were I’m most comfortable 👍.
It seems like this is the year for Andover to have their best shot at getting out of sections and to the state tourney. I'm not so sure how bright the future is going forward for them though. The last couple of years (according to YHH) they had limited success with their PWAA & BAA. Not to say their records were horrible, but just nothing to suggest that they'll have the ability to just reload once this group of seniors moves on.
This year's Sr class is the strongest one they've had or will have for some time.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am Never cared for the character or the person playing him.
With ya on that.

And not that I don’t like your character, kniven... just some similarities in your wording by being hard on yourself. Thanks for helping the kids and stick your chest out because of it. 👍
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

Kron back for Sat game at Heritage?
If not Randolph and Karl got a shot ;)
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

East is going to have to score more than one goal to beat Andover. They just don’t have any firepower. Andover will score more than one goal regardless of the lineup. East his little chance of winning.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

They scored 6 tonight.
basconi

Post by basconi »

Whats going on with cec. Langenbrunner playing EP?
kniven

Post by kniven »

basconi wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:18 pm Whats going on with cec. Langenbrunner playing EP?

His dad had to move to Eden Prairie for work.
NorthernStorm15

Post by NorthernStorm15 »

:roll:
kniven

Post by kniven »

Damn. 7AA hockey thread is dead. We need Duluth East and Grand Rapids to have great years or this thread dies. 😳
CB00

Post by CB00 »

Crickets...
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Just have to get Hermantown to go up to 7AA. The thread will explode. 8)