Minnesota Article on Eden Prairie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

FlinFlonBomber

Re: Minnesota Article on Eden Prairie

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

Fat Cat

Smith is paid $6000 to win? So let's make a mockery out of high school sports like the NBA?
kniven

Post by kniven »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:16 pm Fat Cat

Smith is paid $6000 to win? So let's make a mockery out of high school sports like the NBA?
Paid to win or paid to coach. If you had to choose, which coach would you rather have. The priority for your schools high school hockey coach. Do a majority of the kids playing hockey choose the same as the parents?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

Captain America? that's a cheap shot eh, guess dad being on a plane every day working for an NHL team has nothing to do with moving eh? is that the same guy who coached Cloquet to four straight north region titles and was getting kids ready for a nice run at 7aa? get your facts straight before throwing shots at people, that program may never recover
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:16 pm Fat Cat

Summer camps = $

If he doesn't win the parents with pitch forks are running him out of town. Obviously the vast majority of EP doesn't care what he does as long as he wins. Most of the whining here is by ppl with no ties to EP.
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

Kniven

The coach with strong character and integrity.
Sponge Puck

Post by Sponge Puck »

Captain America was a PIA for Coach Esse and a back stabber. Esse is a well respected and a good man. He was also a PIA for Coach Walters last year. It will be interesting when he finds out how the program is run at EP.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

It's sad that the comments on this thread are posted by adults.
Be kind. Rewind.
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

Sponge Puck wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 pm Captain America was a PIA for Coach Esse and a back stabber. Esse is a well respected and a good man. He was also a PIA for Coach Walters last year. It will be interesting when he finds out how the program is run at EP.
Nice first 3 posts sponge puck.... :roll: :^o
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

Well said Kniven!

If I was an opponent and playing against these teams that don't do it the right way, I would drop them off the schedule. If they were a conference team, I would simply have the conference give them an ultimatum. Do it right or don't let the door hit you in the ass!
gitter

Post by gitter »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 pm It's sad that the comments on this thread are posted by adults.
No doubt. Highly unlikely any of these people have ever met or conversed with any of the coaches or parents involved in the discussion. Such is the way of the social justice warrior these days.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Some of these points are pretty spot on. I wouldn’t back the personal attacks. I think it’s a culture at EP as the AD has gotten stud transfers for years. I’m sure it rubs some the wrong way. Not defending these EP coaches, but what coach would be dumb enough, as the rules stand, to not want D1 talent coming to their program? What would you have them do? The only elite program that I know of that might not is the one with enough in-house talent to not get involved in these shenanigans, and they got a nice transfer goalie just in time to win a title. So maybe it’s done everywhere.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

edgeless2 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:34 pm Some of these points are pretty spot on. I wouldn’t back the personal attacks. I think it’s a culture at EP as the AD has gotten stud transfers for years. I’m sure it rubs some the wrong way. Not defending these EP coaches, but what coach would be dumb enough, as the rules stand, to not want D1 talent coming to their program? What would you have them do? The only elite program that I know of that might not is the one with enough in-house talent to not get involved in these shenanigans, and they got a nice transfer goalie just in time to win a title. So maybe it’s done everywhere.
Agree with getting down to personal attacks on individuals. My main beef is influx of transfers and the gassing of kids who were developed through youth program. Families put in a sh#@ ton of hours lugging the state for hockey, volunteering,etc. Kids are pressured into mandatory off season work as well to the point of giving up a lot for a shot at making varsity at a high level program, only to be surpassed by the cherry picking transfer. Be interesting to see what the fall out will be for EP. Will kids leave early (bantam aged) for other programs, proactive move out by families? I'd be one fired up hombre if I was paying EP property tax, dotted every I, crossed every T the program had asked only to have the kid gassed by a transfer in the 12th hour (July, August "move ins") . These are the reasons I hope it is epic fail for the AD and coaching staff at EP. If I was a tax paying parent with a gaggle of hockey playing kids (or even one) in EPSD, I'd be one gone #@$%!! Vote with my feet, O-U-T!
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:49 am
edgeless2 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:34 pm Some of these points are pretty spot on. I wouldn’t back the personal attacks. I think it’s a culture at EP as the AD has gotten stud transfers for years. I’m sure it rubs some the wrong way. Not defending these EP coaches, but what coach would be dumb enough, as the rules stand, to not want D1 talent coming to their program? What would you have them do? The only elite program that I know of that might not is the one with enough in-house talent to not get involved in these shenanigans, and they got a nice transfer goalie just in time to win a title. So maybe it’s done everywhere.
Agree with getting down to personal attacks on individuals. My main beef is influx of transfers and the gassing of kids who were developed through youth program. Families put in a sh#@ ton of hours lugging the state for hockey, volunteering,etc. Kids are pressured into mandatory off season work as well to the point of giving up a lot for a shot at making varsity at a high level program, only to be surpassed by the cherry picking transfer. Be interesting to see what the fall out will be for EP. Will kids leave early (bantam aged) for other programs, proactive move out by families? I'd be one pissed off hombre if I was paying EP property tax, dotted every I, crossed every T the program had asked only to have the kid gassed by a transfer in the 12th hour (July, August "move ins") . These are the reasons I hope it is epic fail for the AD and coaching staff at EP. If I was a tax paying parent with a gaggle of hockey playing kids (or even one) in EPSD, I'd be one gone mofo!! Vote with my feet, O-U-T!
Interesting year, one in which it seems that everyone outside of EP will be pulling for the opponent (maybe even pulling for Edina?). How many times can you say you were watching an Edina game and found yourself pulling for the Hornets? :lol:
northwoods oldtimer

InThePipes wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:10 am
Agree with getting down to personal attacks on individuals. My main beef is influx of transfers and the gassing of kids who were developed through youth program. Families put in a sh#@ ton of hours lugging the state for hockey, volunteering,etc. Kids are pressured into mandatory off season work as well to the point of giving up a lot for a shot at making varsity at a high level program, only to be surpassed by the cherry picking transfer. Be interesting to see what the fall out will be for EP. Will kids leave early (bantam aged) for other programs, proactive move out by families? I'd be one fired up hombre if I was paying EP property tax, dotted every I, crossed every T the program had asked only to have the kid gassed by a transfer in the 12th hour (July, August "move ins") . These are the reasons I hope it is epic fail for the AD and coaching staff at EP. If I was a tax paying parent with a gaggle of hockey playing kids (or even one) in EPSD, I'd be one gone ###!! Vote with my feet, O-U-T!
Interesting year, one in which it seems that everyone outside of EP will be pulling for the opponent (maybe even pulling for Edina?). How many times can you say you were watching an Edina game and found yourself pulling for the Hornets? :lol:
Haha, count me in for the emerald city =D>
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I will rent the bus so we can go to away games and sit in the visitor section. Mrs. GB will provide creative signs and adult beverages. GB
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

PuckNA wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:10 pm
kniven wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:45 pm i lost a lot of respect for the boys high school hockey team at EP when CM played there. They were up in Cloquet playing us. I stand right above the visiting team when they are lined up for the national anthem. They were joking, snickering and spitting on the ice during the anthem. I couldn’t believe the disrespect. Anywho, I am not surprised one bit the chaos in EP. cause it seems the program is built on a foundation of butter. I hope nothing but the worst for that program.
Oww.... then they go and take "Captain America's" kid... no knock on the kid, but dad is unhinged.... might be addition by subtraction. Always a bit overrated for me... seems to get extra coattails because of who dad is. I mean you throw a couple NHLr's kids on a team what could go wrong... they don't seem like the kind of folks who would be disruptive to an organization... unless they don't think their kid is getting the
Maybe JL actually moved to EP? If he flys a lot for his job, it’s pretty close to MSP Airport☝️And ML is JUNIOR😮 & committed to SCSU. His son LL played 3 years for Cloquet & ML played a year. If the transfer rules were followed to the letter, I guess I have no problem with Langenbrunner moving on to EP. I mean, MM is back at SCC & tBob didn’t move out of Tonka, so strings were pulled (in that case).
Last edited by hockey59 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The elder took a scouting job with (I believe the Bruins) and is flying a lot.
Thus more sense to be in MPlS area and close to the airport.

I think the younger is a junior.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:21 am The elder took a scouting job with (I believe the Bruins) and is flying a lot.
Thus more sense to be in MPlS area and close to the airport.

I think the younger is a junior.
He didn't exactly just "take" a job with the Bruins. He's been working for them in Player Development since 2015. His Job Title did change so maybe he has to travel more, I don't know. But anyone who thinks this move is strictly about "Airport Proximity" might be a little naive.
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Agree with getting down to personal attacks on individuals. My main beef is influx of transfers and the gassing of kids who were developed through youth program. Families put in a sh#@ ton of hours lugging the state for hockey, volunteering,etc. Kids are pressured into mandatory off season work as well to the point of giving up a lot for a shot at making varsity at a high level program, only to be surpassed by the cherry picking transfer. Be interesting to see what the fall out will be for EP. Will kids leave early (bantam aged) for other programs, proactive move out by families? I'd be one fired up hombre if I was paying EP property tax, dotted every I, crossed every T the program had asked only to have the kid gassed by a transfer in the 12th hour (July, August "move ins") . These are the reasons I hope it is epic fail for the AD and coaching staff at EP. If I was a tax paying parent with a gaggle of hockey playing kids (or even one) in EPSD, I'd be one gone #@$%!! Vote with my feet, O-U-T!
Very valid points old timer and the parents/kids who lost spots to these transfers have every right to be triggered. It flat out sucks for these players. What’s especially garbage about the cut players/families situation is paying cash into the forced summer coaches camps for years. They aren’t forced in writing but we all know how that works so $800 to play pickup hockey at a summer HS coaches “camp” is
just a fundraiser for the coaches. It happens at every large program in the metro not just EP. What I find troubling is that it’s the 3rd/4th liners, especially seniors, as I don’t think they can play JV, that end up being the ones left off the squad. All this being said, what coaching staff is going to turn away superior talent? What would you have them do? As for the fallout there won’t be any, it’s not the top 10-13 kids that are being affected.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

edgeless2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Very valid points old timer and the parents/kids who lost spots to these transfers have every right to be triggered. It flat out sucks for these players. What’s especially garbage about the cut players/families situation is paying cash into the forced summer coaches camps for years. They aren’t forced in writing but we all know how that works so $800 to play pickup hockey at a summer HS coaches “camp” is
just a fundraiser for the coaches. It happens at every large program in the metro not just EP. What I find troubling is that it’s the 3rd/4th liners, especially seniors, as I don’t think they can play JV, that end up being the ones left off the squad. All this being said, what coaching staff is going to turn away superior talent? What would you have them do? As for the fallout there won’t be any, it’s not the top 10-13 kids that are being affected.
Agree on all points until the end. First, coaches are approached often about high-mid profile players moving in/transferring, and more often than not the players/parents want a “promise” in terms of playing time. Some coaches are willing to provide that, others are not. Those who are not oftentimes don’t get those kids. Sad, but true.

And I would say the only ones not upset about the transfers in one month, especially if EP goes on any sort of skid, will be the players on top 2 lines/PP, and top 4 D. So closer to the top 8 after taking out the two transfers. Everybody wants something more.
northwoods oldtimer

edgeless2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Good point edgeless2, none in the right mind would turn away top talent. I agree on the third and fourth line guys, some of those guys are the stud athlete baseball player or football player that just wanted to contribute a role on the hockey team and hang with guys they have been with for a very long time from squirt travel on up into HS. I do realize that folks are far more transient than generations from the past which also may contribute. My concern is that the trend may have potential to escalate in the future if success results in state championships. I know that EP has a pretty good open door policy for adding ringers. It is what it is this day in age, but I sure don't much like it to be honest. 'Times they are a changing'
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

There are 3 kids on the EP varsity program this year that were not there last year. One of the 3 did play JV at EP as a sophomore, so in reality you have 2 kids that moved in and took spots from others. Is that any different than the Goalie coming to Edina last year, or a couple of kids coming to Tonka last year? And what about all the private schools. Holy Family, Blake, CDH and others have chance to recruit kids as early as 7th/8th grade. How many kids that are in the Edina school district are playing at a private school, because there are only so many spots available.

Is it fair, no, but it is what it is, and we have to live with it.

As far as the EP youth program, they have done a fantastic job with their top teams for at least the past 10 years. And the current 8th grade class in another good one. Where EP lacks right now is the depth. They have not done a really good job at developing the middle and lower tier kids to the upper end. With the change in demographics in EP, along with other factors, the shear number of kids playing for EP has dropped tremendously. 9th grade class has 9 total players in the system, and 1-2 are going private next year. The average number of kids playing hockey from 8th grade down per grade is 25-40. They cannot compete depth wise. It will be interesting to see what happens in 5 years, will they go the way of Jefferson, or Richfield, or continue where they are.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

Cookster, did you just equalize Richfield and Bloomington Jefferson ?
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Of the transfers to Tonka last year one was a legit move (Motzko) and I believe one other was a Tonka district kid that had previously played for a private.
MadMNhockeyDad

Post by MadMNhockeyDad »

muckandgrinder65 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:36 am ".... 6th grader Stevie Mittelstadt skips PeeWees; adds additional scoring threat to already potent Eagles offense...."
That's hilarious!!!