Minnesota Article on Eden Prairie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

FlinFlonBomber

Minnesota Article on Eden Prairie

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

The article that was recently published about Eden Prairie reloading doesn't have a good smell. Anyone know what is going on?
Sponge Puck

Re: Minnesota Article on Eden Prairie

Post by Sponge Puck »

The bad smell is the fact they didn't reload with Eden Prairie players. The Eden Prairie coach (name escapes me) has been doing this for years. I am surprised the Eden Prairie people don't take a stand with the school district.
kniven

Post by kniven »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:39 pm The article that was recently published about Eden Prairie reloading doesn't have a good smell. Anyone know what is going on?
Would you post a link to the article. Thanks
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:34 pm
FlinFlonBomber wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:39 pm The article that was recently published about Eden Prairie reloading doesn't have a good smell. Anyone know what is going on?
Would you post a link to the article. Thanks
Interesting read 😮. Jamie Langenbrunner the next head coach?
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

It was in the small HockeyMag booklet. I read the article at the SCSU game. Not sure it is online or not.
TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 »

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

A JV that went 22-2 or something and yet...
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Ha I didnt know Cloquet was on the Iron Range.
PuckNA

Post by PuckNA »

Hearing the Cloquet transfer had to be helped off the ice this weekend... (Hip, knee or ankle) unsure about status after that...
Sponge Puck

Post by Sponge Puck »

Just talked with a buddy. The Eden Prairie junior varsity went 22-2-1 a year ago. Six seniors were cut and all the move ins made it along with a goalie that quit last year because he was put on the junior varsity, and a kid that left for a Colorado team after being disgruntled as a sophomore also returned.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Sponge Puck wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:19 pm Just talked with a buddy. The Eden Prairie junior varsity went 22-2-1 a year ago. Six seniors were cut and all the move ins made it along with a goalie that quit last year because he was put on the junior varsity, and a kid that left for a Colorado team after being disgruntled as a sophomore also returned.
Move ins, quitters returning, movers returning. So the story of the season in EP may be will the talent on the ice outweigh the temperament in the locker room?
kniven

Post by kniven »

InThePipes wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:27 pm
Sponge Puck wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:19 pm Just talked with a buddy. The Eden Prairie junior varsity went 22-2-1 a year ago. Six seniors were cut and all the move ins made it along with a goalie that quit last year because he was put on the junior varsity, and a kid that left for a Colorado team after being disgruntled as a sophomore also returned.
Move ins, quitters returning, movers returning. So the story of the season in EP may be will the talent on the ice outweigh the temperament in the locker room?
Kids say they want to play with their buddies in high school. Move ins, transfers, etc. meanwhile all your buddies get cut. Sounds more like junior hockey/pay-to-play. That’s just the way it is now in 2019. It’s better to have the best players versus the right ones. That’s just how it is with the blue-bloods in the state.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

kniven wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:37 pm
Kids say they want to play with their buddies in high school. Move ins, transfers, etc. meanwhile all your buddies get cut. Sounds more like junior hockey/pay-to-play. That’s just the way it is now in 2019. It’s better to have the best players versus the right ones. That’s just how it is with the blue-bloods in the state.
What a joke! Hope it blows up on them. :P :P :P
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 am

It doesn’t always work. Ask Gary Payton and Karl Malone. Here’s to hoping the Eden Prairies and Hermantowns of the world fall flat on their face!
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Jeffy95 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 am

It doesn’t always work. Ask Gary Payton and Karl Malone. Here’s to hoping the Eden Prairies and Hermantowns of the world fall flat on their face!
So possible future news stories:
"Eden Prairie Boys fall short in sections, team chemistry an issue all season."
meanwhile
"Eden Prairie Junior Gold A eyeing state championship and trip to USA Hockey Nationals."
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

".... 6th grader Stevie Mittelstadt skips PeeWees; adds additional scoring threat to already potent Eagles offense...."
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Do tell.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Unfortunately, it's something that's not just unique to Eden Prairie.

Word I also heard is that SEVEN (7) kids from the Portland area have come in to Minnetonka. Whether all 7 would make varsity is unknown, but it also pushes numbers for JV players. Minnetonka was asking Edina & EP if they'd be interested in having a 2nd JV team to accomodate, which they politely said "No."

What's interesting about EP is that their numbers are much lower compared to their Lake & District 6 counterparts. EP seems to have very good higher end talent at the AA teams, but not even close to the depth of the lower teams of the others. They don't have a Pee Wee A team, with their 2nd team playing at the B1 level. With all the private school options somewhat near by, long term this may not be a great path for EP. But then again, Smith has been there a long time & who knows how much longer he'll be there, so maybe it's a kick the can down the road mentality. [This last paragraph is just my opinion, no knowledge].
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 am
Word I also heard is that SEVEN (7) kids from the Portland area have come in to Minnetonka.
While Minnetonka gets their share of move-ins, especially at the high school level (see their new goalie), this number is not true. They have 3 Portland area kids, one girl, two boys. EP has about the same amount from Portland with move ins from other states and countries as well.
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

This is so sad. Let's not lose sight that we are talking about kids. If I was the coach at Eden Prairie, I simply wouldn't be able the live with myself knowing that I took this away from Eden Prairie kids. It simply comes down to what's right, trust, honesty and integrity! What is wrong with the administration at EP, and the Minnesota State High School League? I would hope that the Eden Prairie Hockey people would make a stand with the Superintendent and the school board.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

We can get upset all we want but nothing will change. Smith is paid to win, not worry about lil' Johnny's feelings being hurt that he gets cut because a kid moved in from the east coast and took his spot. Smith has lasted this long because he wins, the parents and school board don't care how he achieves those wins...the ends justify the means.

I'm not saying that I condone it, I'm just saying that's the way it is.
green4

Post by green4 »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 am

What's interesting about EP is that their numbers are much lower compared to their Lake & District 6 counterparts. EP seems to have very good higher end talent at the AA teams, but not even close to the depth of the lower teams of the others. They don't have a Pee Wee A team, with their 2nd team playing at the B1 level. With all the private school options somewhat near by, long term this may not be a great path for EP. But then again, Smith has been there a long time & who knows how much longer he'll be there, so maybe it's a kick the can down the road mentality. [This last paragraph is just my opinion, no knowledge].
When I was in High School and playing Junior Gold I asked my coach about this, because I noticed Eden Prairie typically had some really bad Junior Gold teams and lower level bantams teams in comparison to Wayzata, Edina and Tonka. I can't remember exactly what it was, but my coach made it seem like the way they were evaluating kids and selecting teams was a lot different and not as inclusive thus making kids not as interested. This was probably 10 years ago, so it might be different now, and I don't know specific details, but my coach believed there was a reason to the lack of depth you are seeing.
kniven

Post by kniven »

i lost a lot of respect for the boys high school hockey team at EP when CM played there. They were up in Cloquet playing us. I stand right above the visiting team when they are lined up for the national anthem. They were joking, snickering and spitting on the ice during the anthem. I couldn’t believe the disrespect. Anywho, I am not surprised one bit the chaos in EP. cause it seems the program is built on a foundation of butter. I hope nothing but the worst for that program.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

There are no Portland transfer players on MHS boys teams.
Play Like a Champion Today
PuckNA

Post by PuckNA »

kniven wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:45 pm i lost a lot of respect for the boys high school hockey team at EP when CM played there. They were up in Cloquet playing us. I stand right above the visiting team when they are lined up for the national anthem. They were joking, snickering and spitting on the ice during the anthem. I couldn’t believe the disrespect. Anywho, I am not surprised one bit the chaos in EP. cause it seems the program is built on a foundation of butter. I hope nothing but the worst for that program.
Oww.... then they go and take "Captain America's" kid... no knock on the kid, but dad is unhinged.... might be addition by subtraction. Always a bit overrated for me... seems to get extra coattails because of who dad is. I mean you throw a couple NHLr's kids on a team what could go wrong... they don't seem like the kind of folks who would be disruptive to an organization... unless they don't think their kid is getting their due...