When will Minnetonka's first loss come?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ryguyMN

Re: When will Minnetonka's first loss come?

Post by ryguyMN »

If Minnetonka can run the table once the Lake Conference meat grinder begins, it would be pretty remarkable. Another stellar season next year and they belong in the dynasty conversation with 1990’s Jefferson, but that’s putting the cart before the horse.

I can see Minnetonka splitting with Edina in conference play.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I am pretty excited for hockey day and the Andover-Tonka game.
Weather forecast says 0 to -5 but I will just have to dress warm and stay close to the fires when I can.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I wouldn't be surprised if it came this Thursday. Tonka may have their minds already on the outdoor game this weekend

Offense - Advantage EP (even though they've scored less goals)
Defense - Advantage Tonka
Goaltending - Tonka
Coaching - Wash
Special teams - Slight edge to EP

Key to EP winning - Balance
Key to Tonka winning - Not thinking about Saturday
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

yesiplayedhockey wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 pm I wouldn't be surprised if it came this Thursday. Tonka may have their minds already on the outdoor game this weekend

Offense - Advantage EP (even though they've scored less goals)
Special teams - Slight edge to EP
Key to EP winning - Balance
Explain. Apologies for the formatting:

Team GPG - GAPG - PP - PK - # of Players>0.50 PPG - SOS
Tonka 4.81 1.25 28.9% 91.1% 12 19.7
EP 3.93 2.80 31.9% 75.5% 8 20.3
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I didn't have these stats that you just provided. It was just a conversation on a silly hockey forum

I do think EP has more horsepower up front which could lead to more offense and possibly better power play. The biggest difference you point out is how good Tonka PK is compared to EP's. If this holds true EP had better stay out of the box if they want any chance at winning

Tonka should win this game but it's HS hockey. But hey one hot goalie, a couple bounces and IF tonka is already wearing eye black, this one could go EP's way
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

=P~
yesiplayedhockey wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm I didn't have these stats that you just provided. It was just a conversation on a silly hockey forum

I do think EP has more horsepower up front which could lead to more offense and possibly better power play. The biggest difference you point out is how good Tonka PK is compared to EP's. If this holds true EP had better stay out of the box if they want any chance at winning

Tonka should win this game but it's HS hockey. But hey one hot goalie, a couple bounces and IF tonka is already wearing eye black, this one could go EP's way
EP played DE tough, but after being tied by HT, Tonka will be ready, this also being a section game. Not saying EP can’t pull an upset, but it won’t be because they sneaked up on the Skippers or they were looking forward to Saturday since winning a section game is important for seeding purposes than a victory on HDM vs Andover.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

yesiplayedhockey wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm I didn't have these stats that you just provided. It was just a conversation on a silly hockey forum

It wasn't a hard argument didn't mean it to come across that way. But in looking at the GPG and the depth of scoring I was curious about your opinion.

Maybe Tonka should win but as you said it's HS hockey. Plus EP is no slouch, is well coached, will not roll over for Tonka and likely won't play scared. I expect a good test and if EP wins wouldn't be surprised unless it's a blowout.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

This point was made above, but the key for EP success on Thursday is to stay out of the box - no silly penalties. Being undisciplined has been one of EP issues the last few seasons. EP needs to bring it all three periods and not let up at any point in the game - they have a tendency to mail it in the third period.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Looks like the Hornets stung the Skips at Pagel.
Took em to the woodshed 5-2.
New Sheriff in the one spot for AA.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Zamman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 pm I am going to guess one of the conference teams will beat them. But only one, probably Edina.
I told you.....
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:07 am Looks like the Hornets stung the Skips at Pagel.
Took em to the woodshed 5-2.
New Sheriff in the one spot for AA.
Interesting game. Both teams looked average on offense through 2 periods although I think a lot of that was due to the fact both teams have great players on defense and are well coached. Tonka uncharacteristically gave up 2 straight PP goals (I thought Edina should have been called for a penalty of their own for boarding as Tonka was trying to gain possession after the ref's arm went up on the 2nd one, but not an excuse for the loss) and Tonka went 0-2 on their 2 PP chances. It was all Edina in the 3rd SOG 16-6 after an even game to that point.

Hopefully this loss like the one's to DE and Edina last year will send the proper message and the Skippers regroup.