GREENWAY AT HERMANTOWN

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hermnatown
15%
Hermantown but want the Raiders
50%
Greenway
35%
Dont care
No votes

Total votes: 34

duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

greenway scored tie game.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

duluth dave wrote:greenway scored tie game.
Going to 2nd OT
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

end of 1st overtime tied at 4
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

.1 second left when Greenway tied it.
Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater »

What was the Gotz penalty for?
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

hermantown wins
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

duluth dave wrote:hermantown wins
Helluva a game by a Greenway.
St. Paul gets the same old, same old representing section 7 :P
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Oh well. Greenway played a great game. Hawks got a lucky bounce. Bummer.
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

to tie it with .1 unbelievable, greenway gave them all they could handle.
MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog »

I know it's been said over and over again, but it's really a shame...a team like Greenway, which has a group come along maybe every decade with a shot at making a run in St. Paul, only to get beaten by a team making their 9th straight appearance. 16 years since Greenway's last state appearance, I believe. Can't fault the Hermantown players, of course.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Another top 5, legitimate Class A team from the Iron Range will not go to State and give their program and community a much needed boost. That was probably the Range's last chance. Next year starts at least an 8 year run for Hermantown with some of the best players from all over Northern MN and Wisconsin. Sad day for small town, community based programs in the Northland. It's all over....
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Dang. Brutally disappointed for Greenway - I was really hoping to see them at the X. Oh well, we all know the Raiders are the Section 7 champions of true single A hockey, even if H-town gets to take their AA program to St. Paul yet again... for the Wednesday session.

For some reason, it now feels wrong to support the tournament when H-town is there. I truly hope the Section 7 AA programs refuse to schedule H-town in the future, if they are still playing as an A level team.

Both teams played a tremendous game and the kids for both put on a prime demonstration of passion and skill in the game.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Another top 5, legitimate Class A team from the Iron Range will not go to State and give their program and community a much needed boost. That was probably the Range's last chance. Next year starts at least an 8 year run for Hermantown with some of the best players from all over Northern MN and Wisconsin. Sad day for small town, community based programs in the Northland. It's all over....
Get on the phone... It's a simple fix. IF you play more than 50% of your games against AA competition, you are then AA for the Playoffs. ALL, Private Schools are AA, period.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Immigrant Fan wrote:Dang. Brutally disappointed for Greenway - I was really hoping to see them at the X. Oh well, we all know the Raiders are the Section 7 champions of true single A hockey, even if H-town gets to take their AA program to St. Paul yet again... for the Wednesday session.

For some reason, it now feels wrong to support the tournament when H-town is there. I truly hope the Section 7 AA programs refuse to schedule H-town in the future, if they are still playing as an A level team.

Both teams played a tremendous game and the kids for both put on a prime demonstration of passion and skill in the game.
Maybe the QRF penalizing the AA teams for playing them will help, but I've pretty much given up hope at this point. It's pretty sad, I feel bad for those Greenway kids.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Well, it was a thrilling night at Amsoil, to say the least. Credit to Greenway for giving it their all and then some. The game-tying goal was as stunning a turn of events as I've seen in a while, and they had their chances to make it happen. Gotta feel for this team.

Hermantown, even when pushed to the brink--as they have been in their last four playoff games against quality competition--just finds ways. The difference-maker, I think, was their ability to spot a third line at times, which kept the top group just fresh enough, and they took over the game for stretches late in periods. In almost every period, they seemed to get stronger as they went along. Rolling two lines is hard enough for three periods, let alone five, though those Greenway kids came awfully close to making it happen. The Hawks are going to have to ride that top line awfully hard next week, but they'll deserve the top seed yet again, and they've got enough to win it all again if they take care of business.

Greenway has a lot of talent coming back for next season, too. I know Hermantown has a bumper class of bantams coming in, but I wouldn't write off the Raiders quite yet. Anyone know Hyttinen's status for next year? Normally foreign exchange students are listed as seniors and I figured it was a one-year deal, but he is listed as a sophomore on the program. He was phenomenal tonight.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

karl(east) wrote:Well, it was a thrilling night at Amsoil, to say the least. Credit to Greenway for giving it their all and then some. The game-tying goal was as stunning a turn of events as I've seen in a while, and they had their chances to make it happen. Gotta feel for this team.

Hermantown, even when pushed to the brink--as they have been in their last four playoff games against quality competition--just finds ways. The difference-maker, I think, was their ability to spot a third line at times, which kept the top group just fresh enough, and they took over the game for stretches late in periods. In almost every period, they seemed to get stronger as they went along. Rolling two lines is hard enough for three periods, let alone five, though those Greenway kids came awfully close to making it happen. The Hawks are going to have to ride that top line awfully hard next week, but they'll deserve the top seed yet again, and they've got enough to win it all again if they take care of business.

Greenway has a lot of talent coming back for next season, too. I know Hermantown has a bumper class of bantams coming in, but I wouldn't write off the Raiders quite yet. Anyone know Hyttinen's status for next year? Normally foreign exchange students are listed as seniors and I figured it was a one-year deal, but he is listed as a sophomore on the program. He was phenomenal tonight.
Greenway is a small town, Class A program. They have no choice but to play only two lines. Their Bantam A team took third in State last year with Troumbly and Miller and only 8 other skaters. Hermantown beat them 6-2, and that was with Joey Pierce still in Ely.
HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever »

fastncrash wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Helluva a game by a Greenway.
Get on the phone... It's a simple fix. IF you play more than 50% of your games against AA competition, you are then AA for the Playoffs. ALL, Private Schools are AA, period.
I'm confused by the bolded, are you saying that Hermantown is a private school?
HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever »

karl(east) wrote:Anyone know Hyttinen's status for next year? Normally foreign exchange students are listed as seniors and I figured it was a one-year deal, but he is listed as a sophomore on the program. He was phenomenal tonight.
Wait wait wait, so you're telling me that Greenway's goalie is a Finnish exchange student?

Jeffy, why aren't you up in arms about this?!? He didn't play for Greenway starting at the mite level so he definitely shouldn't be able to play for the high school team like all of those dang Hermantown open-enrollees that move-in from all over the state, right?
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

HHawks4Ever wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Anyone know Hyttinen's status for next year? Normally foreign exchange students are listed as seniors and I figured it was a one-year deal, but he is listed as a sophomore on the program. He was phenomenal tonight.
Wait wait wait, so you're telling me that Greenway's goalie is a Finnish exchange student?

Jeffy, why aren't you up in arms about this?!? He didn't play for Greenway starting at the mite level so he definitely shouldn't be able to play for the high school team like all of those dang Hermantown open-enrollees that move-in from all over the state, right?
Nice new account HermHawkey, very clever. Foreign exchange students follow very strict rules. Sports cannot be a factor in them coming to your school, they are assigned to schools by YFU. Greenway has lost several players over the years. Hermantown has at least 40 kids in their youth program that are not from Hermantown. They don't win last night without Watkins, Gotz and Herter. Average team without those three. Don't ever compare Greenway to Hermantown, entirely different planets. Greenway has represented everything that is great about Class A Hockey. All while having a dream of making it back to AA. They gladly traded with you to play Tier 1 in the early 90's so you could play in Tier 2 even though you finished in Tier 1.

But there is really no point in arguing anymore. 7A is finished. Last night was the final nail in the coffin. Hermantown's legacy is complete.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Jeffy95 wrote:
HHawks4Ever wrote:

Nice new account HermHawkey, very clever. Foreign exchange students follow very strict rules. Sports cannot be a factor in them coming to your school, they are assigned to schools by YFU. Greenway has lost several players over the years. Hermantown has at least 40 kids in their youth program that are not from Hermantown. They don't win last night without Watkins, Gotz and Herter. Average team without those three. Don't ever compare Greenway to Hermantown, entirely different planets. Greenway has represented everything that is great about Class A Hockey. All while having a dream of making it back to AA. They gladly traded with you to play Tier 1 in the early 90's so you could play in Tier 2 even though you finished in Tier 1.

But there is really no point in arguing anymore. 7A is finished. Last night was the final nail in the coffin. Hermantown's legacy is complete.
Where are those three from originally?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Congrats to Greenway on a great season. Would have been great to watch you next week but it was a great game last night. Just needed a bounce your way at the end.
northwoods oldtimer

Immigrant Fan wrote:Dang. Brutally disappointed for Greenway - I was really hoping to see them at the X. Oh well, we all know the Raiders are the Section 7 champions of true single A hockey, even if H-town gets to take their AA program to St. Paul yet again... for the Wednesday session.

Wow IF right on!!
Take it one step further all AA teams in the state should boycott em.
Mike Randolph is crazy like a fox, yup.
Little ol Greenway almost got it done last night, fantastic game indeed.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Yea. I was so looking forward to seeing Greenway in the state tournament this year. Hermantown got 7A wrapped up for the next decade.
northwoods oldtimer

kniven wrote:Yea. I was so looking forward to seeing Greenway in the state tournament this year. Hermantown got 7A wrapped up for the next decade.
Same here knivsy thought we might have had 2 party crashers in St Paul in 2018. CEC and Green Machine.

Now its up to the Hounds to rep 218 hockey.
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:Yea. I was so looking forward to seeing Greenway in the state tournament this year. Hermantown got 7A wrapped up for the next decade.
Same here knivsy thought we might have had 2 party crashers in St Paul in 2018. CEC and Green Machine.

Now its up to the Hounds to rep 218 hockey.
Exactly right! Duluth East make us proud :). #218puck