HAPPY'S RANKINGS - 1/28

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

HAPPY'S RANKINGS - 1/28

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

1- Edina
2- Minnetonka
3- Duluth East
4- St Thomas Academy
5- Cretin-DH

6- Holy Family
7- Moorhead
8- Wayzata
9- Andover
10- White Bear Lake

11- Brainerd
12- Centennial
13- Eden Prairie
14- Cloquet-Esko
15- Eastview

16- Lakeville North
17- St Cloud
18- Rosemount
19- Duluth Marshall
20- Blake

Red indicates they are the top team in their section
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
Yoopskater

Happy Rankings

Post by Yoopskater »

Switch Tonka and East, bump EP up to about 8.
HappyHockeyFan

Re: Happy Rankings

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Yoopskater wrote:Switch Tonka and East, bump EP up to about 8.
An Eden Prairie win over Minnetonka next Saturday would move them up there I am sure, and would probably move Duluth East back over Minnetonka. But for now thats how they stack up.
CB00

Post by CB00 »

No Elk River in top 20 but DM , EP and Cloquet. What are you smoking that makes you Happy
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

CB00 wrote:No Elk River in top 20 but DM , EP and Cloquet. What are you smoking that makes you Happy
Overall the other teams you listed have a stronger body of work than Elk River, they have earned more points in my formula. If Elk River can pick off Duluth East coming up that would probably move them back into the top twenty, until then, they are outside looking in. They only have one significant win against a top twenty team, #9 Andover, they have lost every other opportunity against top twenty teams, 6 losses. Technically if I ranked beyond the top twenty they would be #21, so they are right there.
green4

Post by green4 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
CB00 wrote:No Elk River in top 20 but DM , EP and Cloquet. What are you smoking that makes you Happy
Overall the other teams you listed have a stronger body of work than Elk River, they have earned more points in my formula. If Elk River can pick off Duluth East coming up that would probably move them back into the top twenty, until then, they are outside looking in. They only have one significant win against a top twenty team, #9 Andover, they have lost every other opportunity against top twenty teams, 6 losses. Technically if I ranked beyond the top twenty they would be #21, so they are right there.
Just cause you decided overtime games should be considered as ties for your formula does not mean they aren't wins. When you say elk river has only one top 20 win, that is just not true. They officially have beat EP as well.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
Just cause you decided overtime games should be considered as ties for your formula does not mean they aren't wins. When you say elk river has only one top 20 win, that is just not true. They officially have beat EP as well.
Well in the end it doesnt really matter, I treat all teams the same, in this case all teams are awarded points based on regulation time. Why should a team get the same credit for a win when it took them extra time to get the win than another team that did it in regulation time? Thats why I use regulation time as my basis, every team gets 51 minutes to win, lose or draw, seems fair to me. And as long as every team is judged the same then in the end the result would probably still be the same in my formula with Elk River not making my top twenty. But if it makes you happy I will say that Elk River only has one REGULATION win over a top twenty team, there, now you can sleep tonight. :lol:
green4

Post by green4 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Overall the other teams you listed have a stronger body of work than Elk River, they have earned more points in my formula. If Elk River can pick off Duluth East coming up that would probably move them back into the top twenty, until then, they are outside looking in. They only have one significant win against a top twenty team, #9 Andover, they have lost every other opportunity against top twenty teams, 6 losses. Technically if I ranked beyond the top twenty they would be #21, so they are right there.
Well in the end it doesnt really matter, I treat all teams the same, in this case all teams are awarded points based on regulation time. Why should a team get the same credit for a win when it took them extra time to get the win than another team that did it in regulation time? Thats why I use regulation time as my basis, every team gets 51 minutes to win, lose or draw, seems fair to me. And as long as every team is judged the same then in the end the result would probably still be the same in my formula with Elk River not making my top twenty. But if it makes you happy I will say that Elk River only has one REGULATION win over a top twenty team, there, now you can sleep tonight. :lol:
Every team is given the same amount of time to win lose or tie, yes this is true. But they are not given 51 minutes, they are allowed 59. Every team has the opportunity to play 59 minutes, most just don't need it.

I don't mind that you prefer to count an overtime game as a tie, I don't agree with it, but it does not bother me. What bugs me is that you lied about results because you want your formula to look successful instead of admitting that it has flaws.
gitter

Post by gitter »

green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote: Just cause you decided overtime games should be considered as ties for your formula does not mean they aren't wins. When you say elk river has only one top 20 win, that is just not true. They officially have beat EP as well.
Every team is given the same amount of time to win lose or tie, yes this is true. But they are not given 51 minutes, they are allowed 59. Every team has the opportunity to play 59 minutes, most just don't need it.

I don't mind that you prefer to count an overtime game as a tie, I don't agree with it, but it does not bother me. What bugs me is that you lied about results because you want your formula to look successful instead of admitting that it has flaws.
Maybe not full weight for winning in OT, but it should be weighted more than 2 teams who go to OT and actually end in a tie. That makes zero sense to be treated the same.
CB00

Post by CB00 »

Same system that had Blaine top 10 a few weeks ago....I stick with Karl.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Another view of the top 25:

1. Edina (18-1-0)
2. Duluth East (15-1-3)
3. St. Thomas Academy (16-1-1)​
4. Minnetonka (15-2-2)
5. Cretin-Derham Hall (16-2-1)

6. Holy Family (14-3-1)
7. White Bear Lake (14-3-2)
8. Cloquet-Esko-Carlson (14-5-1)
9. Moorhead (15-6)
10. Andover (15-4-0)

11. Wayzata (11-7-1)
12. Centennial (11-4-3)
13. Brainerd (14-5)
14. Elk River (13-6)
15. Eastview (15-4-0)

16. Duluth Marshall (13-7-1)
17. Rosemount (15-3)
18. Eagan (13-5)
19. St. Louis Park (11-5-2)
20. Chaska (11-6)

21. Lakeville North (8-8-1)
22. Lakeville South (9-8-1)
23. Eden Prairie (7-11-1)
24. St. Michael-Albertville (12-5)
25. Hill-Murray (7-8-4)
Last edited by elliott70 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

QRF
1 Edina (18-1) 136.9
2 St. Thomas Academy (16-1-1) 127.1
3 Minnetonka (15-2-2) 126.9
4 Duluth East (15-1-3) 124.1
5 Cretin-Derham Hall (16-2-1) 117.1

6 Eastview (15-4) 110.8
7 Holy Family Catholic (14-3-1) 110.3
8 Rosemount (15-3) 107.9
9 Moorhead (15-6) 106.0
10 White Bear Lake (14-3-2) 105.6

11 Andover (15-4) 103.4
12 Brainerd (14-5) 102.7
13 Wayzata (11-7-1) 96.6
14 Eagan (13-5) 95.0
15 C-E-C (14-5-1) 93.9

16 St. Michael-Albertville (11-6) 91.3
17 Elk River/Zimmerman (13-6) 91.0
18 Lakeville North (8-8-1) 90.0
19 Centennial (10-5-3) 88.2
20 Duluth Marshall (13-7-1) 87.2

21 St. Cloud (15-5) 86.8
22 Rochester Century (13-3-1) 86.5
23 Tartan (13-4-1) 86.1
24 St. Louis Park (11-5-2) 85.4
25 Lakeville South (9-8-1)
Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater »

elliott70 wrote:Another view of the top 25:

1. Edina (18-1-0)
2. Duluth East (15-1-3)
4. Minnetonka (15-2-2)

6. Holy Family (14-3-1)
9. Moorhead (15-6)
10. Andover (15-4-0)

11. Wayzata (11-7-1)
12. Centennial (11-4-3)
13. Brainerd (14-5)
14. Elk River (13-6)
15. Eastview (15-4-0)

17. Rosemount (15-3)
18. Eagan (13-5)
20. Chaska (11-6)

25. Hill-Murray (7-8-4)
Must be a significant drop off after the top 5 if HF is 6...considering the 10-1 drubbing they took at the hands of CDH.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Yoopskater wrote:

1. Edina (18-1-0)
2. Duluth East (15-1-3)
4. Minnetonka (15-2-2)

6. Holy Family (14-3-1)
9. Moorhead (15-6)
10. Andover (15-4-0)

11. Wayzata (11-7-1)
12. Centennial (11-4-3)
13. Brainerd (14-5)
14. Elk River (13-6)
15. Eastview (15-4-0)

17. Rosemount (15-3)
18. Eagan (13-5)
20. Chaska (11-6)

25. Hill-Murray (7-8-4)
Must be a significant drop off after the top 5 if HF is 6...considering the 10-1 drubbing they took at the hands of CDH.
I think the general consensus is depending on the seeding at state 2 to 5 will get a shot at Edina for the title. Of course Cretin will get their shot in sections (or should).
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

happy already told us he's smoking cuban cigars. :
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote: Just cause you decided overtime games should be considered as ties for your formula does not mean they aren't wins. When you say elk river has only one top 20 win, that is just not true. They officially have beat EP as well.

Interesting that you say I lied about Elk Rivers wins, how can it be a lie if I am using my formula which is only regulation time as my basis? I have no reason to lie anyway, I think my formula is very good, its not without its flaws, what ranking isn't? But I am continually tweaking it to make it better, I personally think its good for readers to look at both polls, mine and Karl's, his is well thought out and and based on the game results but also his opinion whereas mine is strictly formula based no personal opinion. Actually if you compare ours this week there are many teams we have ranked the same and if not the same there is only between 1 and 3 spots seperating the teams.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Yoopskater wrote:

1. Edina (18-1-0)
2. Duluth East (15-1-3)
4. Minnetonka (15-2-2)

6. Holy Family (14-3-1)
9. Moorhead (15-6)
10. Andover (15-4-0)

11. Wayzata (11-7-1)
12. Centennial (11-4-3)
13. Brainerd (14-5)
14. Elk River (13-6)
15. Eastview (15-4-0)

17. Rosemount (15-3)
18. Eagan (13-5)
20. Chaska (11-6)

25. Hill-Murray (7-8-4)
I don't believe in putting too much emphasis on a single game result, I am pretty sure that game was just an anomoly, for the most part, if these teams play a handful times more I believe the scores would be closer. I think based on what I saw that day however would suggest that CDH would probably win more of those games that HF. CDH exposed the HF defense a bit and maybe their goalie.
green4

Post by green4 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Well in the end it doesnt really matter, I treat all teams the same, in this case all teams are awarded points based on regulation time. Why should a team get the same credit for a win when it took them extra time to get the win than another team that did it in regulation time? Thats why I use regulation time as my basis, every team gets 51 minutes to win, lose or draw, seems fair to me. And as long as every team is judged the same then in the end the result would probably still be the same in my formula with Elk River not making my top twenty. But if it makes you happy I will say that Elk River only has one REGULATION win over a top twenty team, there, now you can sleep tonight. :lol:

Interesting that you say I lied about Elk Rivers wins, how can it be a lie if I am using my formula which is only regulation time as my basis? I have no reason to lie anyway, I think my formula is very good, its not without its flaws, what ranking isn't? But I am continually tweaking it to make it better, I personally think its good for readers to look at both polls, mine and Karl's, his is well thought out and and based on the game results but also his opinion whereas mine is strictly formula based no personal opinion. Actually if you compare ours this week there are many teams we have ranked the same and if not the same there is only between 1 and 3 spots seperating the teams.
You said elk river has one win against a top 20 team knowing they have two because it helped your argument. Whether you choose to count overtime wins or not is irrelevant. If I made a ranking and decided to count games where one team scored double digits as a tie and then said "cretin has only beaten one top ten team in WBL" that would not be true. Just because I decide to make my own rules does not mean it is true.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote: Every team is given the same amount of time to win lose or tie, yes this is true. But they are not given 51 minutes, they are allowed 59. Every team has the opportunity to play 59 minutes, most just don't need it.

You said elk river has one win against a top 20 team knowing they have two because it helped your argument. Whether you choose to count overtime wins or not is irrelevant. If I made a ranking and decided to count games where one team scored double digits as a tie and then said "cretin has only beaten one top ten team in WBL" that would not be true. Just because I decide to make my own rules does not mean it is true.
No, I said they have one win because the basis of my formula is game results after regulation, therefor Elk River only has one win in regulation and thats how it is tallied. I don't feel that I need to lie about anything to help my arguement, I simply post my rankings based on my criteria, people can like it, love it or hate it, makes no difference to me. I like that it creates discussion and is just another ranking amongst the many out there for people to compare and consider. I am shocked that you have continued to debate this as much as you have over Elk River, really, Elk River?? In the end I highly doubt they are going to be more than a footnote on the season. Besides, it looks like your a cakeater, you should be happy your team is #1. :lol:
sanryam

Re: HAPPY'S RANKINGS - 1/28

Post by sanryam »

St. Cloud at 17?? What? Am I missing something here?
HappyHockeyFan

Re: HAPPY'S RANKINGS - 1/28

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

sanryam wrote:St. Cloud at 17?? What? Am I missing something here?
:lol: :lol: 8)
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

ANOTHER loss to a top twenty team for Elk River, but they somehow continue to get ranked top twenty by other rankings, I don't get it, more proof my formula works and is accurate.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
ANOTHER loss to a top twenty team for Elk River, but they somehow continue to get ranked top twenty by other rankings, I don't get it, more proof my formula works and is accurate.
Karl way over values schools north of 694 and undervalues teams near Dakota County 42.