Chaz and Cruz Lucius commit to Gophers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

BP wrote:New wrinkle in this saga - the older boy is repeating 8th grade.
oopsy ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

Why are you even talking about little kids committing to the U, you can't be serious?
JDUBBS1280

Re: so back to what this means...

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

The Exiled One wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:Seems like the Gentleman's Agreement is going by the wayside.

"For years, college coaches mostly adhered to a gentleman’s agreement in recruiting. Once a player committed to a school, other schools stopped recruiting him. Not always, but generally speaking. Lucia said that practice is “fading.”

http://www.startribune.com/how-young-is ... 443487013/
That's why I used the word "IF".

Also, after Lucia and other big name programs came out against the gentleman's agreement, a whole slew of programs committed to upholding it... including UND, UMD, and SCSU. The fate of the GA may be sealed, but it's not entirely dead yet. Lucia basically just said, "I'm coming for your recruits, feel free to come for mine."

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Daulton21 wrote:Just my personal opinion, Nothing against the kids, They don't know any better. but actions like this sure make me lose respect for the U of MN program.
You may as well lose respect for the entire system then because it isn't just one school.
Exactly. I find it comical that anyone would push blame at the most vocal coach for wanting changes in the recruiting process.

You can't expect Lucia to stand by and let other programs continue to recruit top talent younger and younger. Expecting him to recruit with one hand tied behind his back is asinine.

The NCAA needs to make changes. Not just for hockey, but all sports. It happens in all sports.

And if you are going to blame Lucia, how about criticism for Bob Motzko who just recently said the NCAA has no business twlling parents when too young is too young.

And if you are genuinely concerned about recruiting age, you shouldn't support the gentleman's agreement. Let schools recruit players all the way up until the kids sign a LOI and there will be no rush by schools to get verbals.
Last edited by JDUBBS1280 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:I would imagine other programs might be receptive to their inquiries too, but if they are abiding by the Gentlemen's Agreement, they won't extend an offer until the player has publicly de-committed.
Seems like the Gentleman's Agreement is going by the wayside.

"For years, college coaches mostly adhered to a gentleman’s agreement in recruiting. Once a player committed to a school, other schools stopped recruiting him. Not always, but generally speaking. Lucia said that practice is “fading.”

http://www.startribune.com/how-young-is ... 443487013/
Good
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

BSUBeaver wrote:What bugs me most about this is that when the kids get to be 18-20 and it comes time to trot off to college, the college doesn't have to honor that commitment, hence all the over recruiting that some programs do. Looking at Chris Heisenberg's recruit list, last year there were teams that had 15+ recruits listed to come in THIS YEAR alone.

"Sorry, we don't have a spot for you, but hopefully you can hook up with another team before you age out...."
Exactly. It is actually a bigger risk for the kids.

The gentleman's agreement is equally bad for the kids. Once you verbally commit to a program, most programs stear clear. Kids that want to change their minds later on or are repeatedly delayed by schools don't have as good of an idea of what other schools might be interested.
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

SCBlueLiner wrote:Anybody else have/had kids this age, pre-puberty through the teen years? Yeah, me too. There is A LOT of stuff that happens through those years and A LOT of things change. I've heard these kids names over the years and I'm sure they are very good, even elite youth hockey players, but it's a long road through the next 5-7 years.

This reminds me of the conversation between Mike Modano and Gordon Bombay in the Mighty Ducks movie when Modano said that Bombay "killed it in Pee Wees". Umm, if you've ever played the game you know that wasn't a compliment.
Oliver Wahlstrom committed to Maine at 14 (Harvard commit now), was really hyped when he first committed, and is having a great game tonight in the All America Prospects game tonight.
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

How classy of you.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

An extra year for dad to try to recruit enough for a tourney run.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

Bonin2121 wrote:An extra year for dad to try to recruit enough for a tourney run.
Never thought of that. You may very well be correct.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

Bonin2121 wrote:An extra year for dad to try to recruit enough for a tourney run.
:wink: :wink:
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Corn Cobb wrote:
Do you mean MSHSL? Once you start 7th Grade repeating a grade doesn't get you an extra year. He would be out of eligibility after his Junior year. Not sure how this would help him from a Hockey standpoint, must be some other reason if true.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote:
Do you mean MSHSL? Once you start 7th Grade repeating a grade doesn't get you an extra year. He would be out of eligibility after his Junior year. Not sure how this would help him from a Hockey standpoint, must be some other reason if true.
What? How does one get into U of M w/out "elite" academics?
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote:
But he has never played MSHSL as far as I know, so 8th-12th will be one more year than 9th-12th.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

thespellchecker wrote:What? How does one get into U of M w/out "elite" academics?
Don't laugh, we have a daughter who was initially wait-listed at the U despite having very good grades and an ACT score of 31. Funny thing was she was accepted right away at Wisconsin and Michigan...
BP

Post by BP »

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
How classy of you.
Last edited by BP on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BP

Post by BP »

Actually - mom.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Bonin2121 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote: Never thought of that. You may very well be correct.
But he has never played MSHSL as far as I know, so 8th-12th will be one more year than 9th-12th.
I don't think it matters if he's played or not. Once you are a 7th grader, you have 6 seasons to play JV or Varsity sports, starting then. Pretty sure he could only play until he was a Junior. No idea if he's even planning on playing High School. If the kid is as good as they say I can't imagine he would be trying to get more time in High School.
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Bonin2121 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: Do you mean MSHSL? Once you start 7th Grade repeating a grade doesn't get you an extra year. He would be out of eligibility after his Junior year. Not sure how this would help him from a Hockey standpoint, must be some other reason if true.
I don't think it matters if he's played or not. Once you are a 7th grader, you have 6 seasons to play JV or Varsity sports, starting then. Pretty sure he could only play until he was a Junior. No idea if he's even planning on playing High School. If the kid is as good as they say I can't imagine he would be trying to get more time in High School.
So he could play HS through his Junior year, then Senior year play juniors. He uses up his HS eligibility and gets a year of juniors in before graduating HS. Just one thought. I'm sure it's all part of the plan, this family has always had a plan to reach the end-goal and the resources to back that plan.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I don't see this happening

If they became a private high school program with a majority of kids being 03's, they would have a very tough time competing even at the Class A level for first couple years. Plus I believe the restrictions put on Minnesota high school hockey isn't consistent with their hockey training

I'm betting they will stay far away from Minnesota High School hockey and stick to the "other" league (Tier 1).
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

According to their website they plan to compete in MSHSL

http://gentrystars.com/
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Not sure where you get your information but it is incorrect. He was in 7th grade last year. Both brothers have always been in the same grade. He just started 8th grade this year for the first time. NO REPEAT

As far as HS, yes they are a coop and will play A, not just 03's in the program, also older and younger team.
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

MWS coach wrote:
Not sure where you get your information but it is incorrect. He was in 7th grade last year. Both brothers have always been in the same grade. He just started 8th grade this year for the first time. NO REPEAT

As far as HS, yes they are a coop and will play A, not just 03's in the program, also older and younger team.
Thanks for clearing this up.

Good thing some people rushed to ridicule the kid.

Emphasis on "kid".
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote: That's why I used the word "IF".

Also, after Lucia and other big name programs came out against the gentleman's agreement, a whole slew of programs committed to upholding it... including UND, UMD, and SCSU. The fate of the GA may be sealed, but it's not entirely dead yet. Lucia basically just said, "I'm coming for your recruits, feel free to come for mine."
_
Not sure why you replied to me with those comments. I was discussing the GA, not recruiting age. Yes, Motzko is willing to recruit young, but he still honors the GA.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

blueline_6 wrote:According to their website they plan to compete in MSHSL

http://gentrystars.com/
There are three teams. My assumption is that the Tier 1 team (Galaxy) is their top team. The Stars are their MSHSL team, which I believe is their second level team. They also have the Astros, which are generic AAA teams.

Until recently, you couldn't be on a HS team and a Tier 1 team in the same season, but Minnesota Hockey worked out that "before & after" deal so that we'd have more participants in the national tournament than just Shattuck. I'm not sure if that would apply to Gentry, but I doubt it. I think the high schoolers will have to choose between MSHSL and Tier 1. I don't think they'll be able to do both. I could be wrong.